Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I’m loving seeing Nikon on the rise again, and making compelling cameras.

A couple years in with the Z9 now, and other than replacing the rubber grips it’s been flawless. Just an excellent workhorse camera.

I want for so little. I’m tempted occasionally to look at the GFX line for studio work, but the ergos of the Z9 are just outstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
A few months ago I supplemented my Z9 with an X100V. I love them both for different reasons.

I think of the Z9 as a realiable workhorse and photographic tool mostly. I use it for birding, I use it for landscape and city scenes, and I use it in my engineering workshop and studio for documentation work, really for everything. I have a bunch of lenses for it, including lots of ancient F glass and some cheap but astonishingly good Laowa and Mitacon / Zhongyi macro Z lenses that are manually focused but work really well on the Z9 because of the on-screen and in-viewfinder focus peaking display. That feature alone is what ultimately made me retire my D850 that had otherwise been my documentation camera. I love the accurate color it produces, and the controls are so ergonomic, I never have to think about how to achieve anything I want to do with this camera. I've built accessories for the ancient 10-pin connector and I have a ton of Godox lighting gear that it talks to effortlessly. The Z9 is rock solid. I have 200K clicks on it now, and almost none of that was "spray and pray" or long bursts.

But it doesn't have whimsy. It's all business. It doesn't dream or play. That's where the Fuji comes in, for me. The OVF/EVF hybrid viewfinder. The sweet f/2 lens. But most importantly, a different workflow. A new way to think about exposure and creative priorities. And those film looks!

I never leave home without either the Z9 or the Fuji or both. I find that I often discover a scene and find its hidden beauty with the Fuji. I often get drop-dead perfect JPEGs out of it with sublime colors. But they're just JPEGs. Sometimes I revisit the same scene later with the Z9 and use different optics but inspiration I got from the Fuji session, and my post-processing work is influenced by those looks the Fuji helped me discover.

YMMV I guess - Nikon should add more whimsy, maybe license Kodak's film looks.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

All Nikon F-mount products are out of production:

https://nikonrumors.com/2024/01/24/all-nikon-f-mount-products-are-out-of-production.aspx/

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
:rip:

It will live on for people looking for a bargain.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I hem and haw about switching to Nikon mirrorless, but I’m still here in the F mount La Brea Tar Pit.

500mm PFs have dropped about 30% on the used market in 9 months at my local shop. I may find new ways to spend money on old gear in 2024.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I too hem and haw about switching to Nikon mirrorless, but I'm convinced the money is better spent on better glass than anything for what I do (Concert & Wildlife)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Mega Comrade posted:

:rip:

It will live on for people looking for a bargain.

I hope so. I'm hoping this drives down the price of the 40mm f/2.8G Close-up Lens, not up.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Red posted:

I hope so. I'm hoping this drives down the price of the 85mm f/1.8G lens, not up.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The new Z 5mm f/1.8 S has (imho horrible) cats eye bokeh, my old 85mm f/1.4D does not.

So obviously I'm keeping both :haw:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Apparently Nikon is disputing the F mount rumor https://petapixel.com/2024/01/25/nikon-rejects-the-claim-that-it-is-no-longer-producing-f-mount-products/

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I wonder what that means. Nikon could be manufacturing one of the batteries that is used in both DSLR and mirrorless bodies and they would technically be producing an F-mount product.

or maybe they still have parts to make D850s or whatever and will do until they run out.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Nikon wants to make the official announcement itself some time in the future. Might still take a while, and I reckon they'll still do parts for a while after that.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Welp. I caved and bought the ART 18-35 F1.8 for F mounts from Sigma - Looks like I'm sticking with my D500 for a while yet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve had that lens for a bunch of years, it’s a bunch of fun. Did you get the little usb fine tuning thing for it too? I always wanted to try their 50-100 after I broke my (also Sigma) 50-150 but ended up just going for a regular 70-200. I miss that 20mm on the wide end.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve had that lens for a bunch of years, it’s a bunch of fun. Did you get the little usb fine tuning thing for it too? I always wanted to try their 50-100 after I broke my (also Sigma) 50-150 but ended up just going for a regular 70-200. I miss that 20mm on the wide end.

I did not, should I? Tell me more about it!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Basically, you know how your camera body has a setting to fine tune the lens so it matches… usually on a +/- scale and you just take photos and test which one works best. Well the USB puck takes it one step further and lets you fine tune the focus across something like 16 values to really lock it in. I remember it only costs about $20 or so, so it’s not expensive and might make some differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XAtW-cbcRU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I should really sit down one day and calibrate the lenses I use the most...

Maybe this will be the one that starts it all. I might have a friend with one of those I can borrow (they're like 80$ now)

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

EL BROMANCE posted:

Basically, you know how your camera body has a setting to fine tune the lens so it matches… usually on a +/- scale and you just take photos and test which one works best. Well the USB puck takes it one step further and lets you fine tune the focus across something like 16 values to really lock it in. I remember it only costs about $20 or so, so it’s not expensive and might make some differences.

This whole issue I think goes away when you go mirrorless. I have only a few of those Sigma f-mount ART lenses, the 24mm f/1.4 and also the 105mm f/1.4 (a huge chonker with a preposterous 105mm filter thread). I had a hell of a time getting those primes dialed in for my D4 and D850 using that USB puck. The 24mm one I had to dial to one extreme end position to make it focus nearly right. I suspected it was busted somehow (I bought it secondhand) but once I put it on the Z6II and later the Z9 (with a FTZ) it was tack sharp and perfectly focused always.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah even on regular DSLRs, it’s not an issue if you’re using the back screen and that focusing method (which is handy as you can use that as a reference photo to compare to what you get through the regular viewfinder.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

frumpykvetchbot posted:

This whole issue I think goes away when you go mirrorless. I have only a few of those Sigma f-mount ART lenses, the 24mm f/1.4 and also the 105mm f/1.4 (a huge chonker with a preposterous 105mm filter thread). I had a hell of a time getting those primes dialed in for my D4 and D850 using that USB puck. The 24mm one I had to dial to one extreme end position to make it focus nearly right. I suspected it was busted somehow (I bought it secondhand) but once I put it on the Z6II and later the Z9 (with a FTZ) it was tack sharp and perfectly focused always.

Yeah, my Siggy 40 wasn't the most reliable lens on a D750 but that issue vanished when I started using it on the Z bodies.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Slotducks posted:

I should really sit down one day and calibrate the lenses I use the most...

Maybe this will be the one that starts it all. I might have a friend with one of those I can borrow (they're like 80$ now)

The Sigma usb dock? I picked one up in the last couple months for $25 on eBay.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have around $1000 I want to spend and I’m wondering if i could get some recommendations on what to spend it on.

I have now a z50 with the two kit lenses, I also have the 50mm 1.8 S lens. I also use the ftz adapter and have a couple random lenses.

I’m curious about the fixed aperture f4 24-120 nikkor lens which is ~1100

Also the nikkor 24-200 f4/6.3 which is like 800

My other thought is maybe the money would be better spent upgrading the body to the z6ii…?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

First thing I would ask is what you're shooting primarily?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Kids mostly. Most demanding setting is kids’ theater with not great lighting.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Rumors are hot that a Z6 III might be announced soon so keep an eye out for that before pulling the trigger on a z6 II if you wanted to go with a new body.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Proust Malone posted:

Kids mostly. Most demanding setting is kids’ theater with not great lighting.

Find a deal on a used but good 70-200 f/2.8 with VR/OS. It's a perfect lens for this use.

Brand new nikkor version is $$$$ but I sometimes find the Sigma f-mount 70-200mm F2.8 DG HSM OS on eBay for like 600 from reputable sellers. The "Sports" edition is nice but hefty.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Find a deal on a used but good 70-200 f/2.8 with VR/OS. It's a perfect lens for this use.

Brand new nikkor version is $$$$ but I sometimes find the Sigma f-mount 70-200mm F2.8 DG HSM OS on eBay for like 600 from reputable sellers. The "Sports" edition is nice but hefty.

I had one of these from way back in 2012 and it was a great lens. Its only real fault was the bokeh got distressingly wild if the background had a lot high contrast lines. The newer variants are probably even better and can also be tuned with that USB dock thingy.

Nikon Rumors posted some more honed in details on the forthcoming Z6 III:

quote:

6k60 NRAW, 4k120 (crop), 4k60 full ProRes RAW
New higher resolution EVF: 5.76m dot
Improved LCD
20fps still RAW (14bit)
120fps stills jpeg
1/16000 shutter speed
299 points AF
8-stop VR (same system as the Nikon Zf)
CFexpress+SD memory cards
PSAM Dial
Camera body size and overall dimension are similar to the Nikon Z6II: 3-5mm longer width becuase of the LCD hinge and a few mm thicker
The overall height (bottom to the EVF) remains the same but the actual camera is 2-3mm taller
The grip button layouts and design look similar to the Nikon Z8 apart from the command dial which is the same as the Z6II
All other button layouts are the same as the Z6II
The Z6III logo is on the top, just like on the Z8/Z9
Z logo in the front is also like the Z8 but below the current Z6II focus sensor
The Z6III body overall is about 30-40g heavier than the Z6II
The Z6III body inherits the design from the Z8 – this is why a few months ago I reported it as a mini-Z8 (the Nikon Z6III is a mini Z8, the Nikon Z8 was a mini Z9)
Battery EN-EL15
A few other features from Z8 and Zf are also coming to Z6III but I do not have the details yet

They also mention that Nikon has registered another new camera body but there's no details about what it will be.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ooohhh hope that higher res evf is true.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
For $700 I got a Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRii in “good” condition from Used Photo Pro and it looks brand new. That was last summer, so prices may even be lower now. Just watch for deals.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So I’m a big old dummy. Once I set my BBF single point thing in place yeeeeeears ago, I’ve never really thought much about focus systems since. I try to help out a dog rescue I work with to get good photos but it’s always been such a struggle to get exactly what I want… of course the goddamned focus mode is making my life so much harder. I think I changed everything else but that, I have no idea why it didn’t come to mind.

On a D7200 I’m guessing changing to the 9 point dynamic AF option is probably what I’m looking for, rather than one of the bigger areas? Or go bigger just to be sure? I’ve got some messing around to do when I’m reunited with my gear!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

For wildlife 9 is my usual go to, birds I use group mainly.

3D is pretty good for sports.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Perfect, I’ll dial that in and hopefully have more success.

It’s blowing my mind I didn’t even consider looking back into these settings, like I completely forgot they were a thing.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If I recall the d7200 has a dedicated button near the lens mount for switching between them quickly.

And keep it in af-c if you are using BBF.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it’s been in C, BBF, Single Point for about 7 or 8 years now ha.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Nikon Z8 firmware update 2.00 is here and oh lawdy it's a chonker:

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/514.html

quote:

■ Still Photography

• Added [Pixel shift shooting] to the photo shooting menu.
• Added new picture controls.
• Added [Birds] to [AF subject detection options] in the photo shooting menu.
• The maximum shooting display zoom ratio is now 400%.
• Added [Auto capture] to the photo shooting menu. Users can select capture criteria from [Motion] (the direction the subject is moving), [Distance] (how far the subject is from the camera), and [Subject detection] (whether or not a subject of a given type is detected), and the camera will take photographs automatically while it detects subjects that meet the selected criteria. Note that [Distance] is available with NIKKOR Z lenses and may not function as expected when used with other lenses. The [FX (36×24)] and [DX (24×16)] image areas are available with auto capture.
• The length of time the camera will continue to buffer frames before cancelling shooting during the Pre-Release Capture phase of high-speed frame capture + has been increased from 30 to 300 seconds.
• Added [Large] to the size options available for [Secondary slot function] > [JPEG primary - JPEG secondary] in the photo shooting menu.
• Added new bracketing increments for use during auto bracketing with [AE & flash bracketing], [AE bracketing], or [Flash bracketing] selected for [Auto bracketing set]. This change also applies to [Interval timer shooting] > [Options] > [AE bracketing] > [Increment].

■ Video Recording

• Added new picture controls.
• Added [Birds] to [AF subject detection options] in the video recording menu.
• The maximum shooting display zoom ratio is now 400%.
• Added [Auto capture] to the video recording menu. Users can select capture criteria from [Motion] (the direction the subject is moving), [Distance] (how far the subject is from the camera), and [Subject detection] (whether or not a subject of a given type is detected), and the camera will record video automatically while it detects subjects that meet the selected criteria. Note that [Distance] is available with NIKKOR Z lenses and may not function as expected when used with other lenses. The [FX] and [DX] image areas are available with auto capture.
• Added low ISO sensitivity options to [ISO sensitivity settings] > [ISO sensitivity (mode M)] for use during N-Log video recording.
• Changed the range of speeds available for Hi-Res Zoom.
• Added slow-motion video recording.

■ Playback

• Added [Playback speed] in the video playback “i” menu.
• Added [Auto image rotation] in the playback menu.
• Added [Auto series playback options] to [Series playback] in the playback menu.
• Made changes to the [Select for upload to computer] and [Select for upload (FTP)] items in the playback “i” menu and added [Select for priority upload to computer] and [Select for priority upload (FTP)].

■ Controls

• Added [Half-press to cancel zoom (MF)] item to the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU] in positions d18 and g17.
• Added [Focus point border width] to a11 [Focus point display] in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU].
• Changes have been made to how a full format is performed with [Format memory card] in the [SETUP MENU].
• White balance and exposure compensation can now be adjusted while recalling the shooting function settings.
• Added support for the power zoom feature on power zoom lenses.
• Added an [Exposure delay mode] item to the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU] in position d6.
• Added to the custom controls and roles assignable via the following items in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU]. New reset options have also been added.
- f2[Custom controls (shooting)]
- f3[Custom controls (playback)]
- g2[Custom controls]
Choose [Prefer focus point] or [Prefer focus point (face priority)] for f3 [Custom controls (playback)] > [Main command dial] or [Sub-command dial] > [Frame advance zoom position].
The settings for f3 [Custom controls (playback)] > [Main command dial] or [Sub-command dial] > [Frame advance] can now be applied during playback zoom.
• Made updates to [Non-CPU lens data] in the [SETUP MENU].
• Increased the character limit from 3 to 256 for “Category” entries in IPTC presets.
• Restructured the [Camera sounds] item in the [SETUP MENU] with the addition of new options, including new sounds and volume level adjustment for the electronic shutter.

■ Displays

• Added focus-distance information to the focus distance indicator displayed during manual focus.
• The option selected for [Viewfinder display size] (formerly [Finder display size (photo Lv)]) in the [SETUP MENU] now also applies in video and playback modes.

■ Network (Also NX Field)

• A warning now appears when the connection to an ATOMOS AirGlu BT accessory is unstable or disrupted.
• ATOMOS AirGlu BT accessories and MC-N10 remote grips can now be used together.
• Made changes and additions to the [Connect to FTP server] item in the [NETWORK MENU].
• Changed the procedure used when configuring the camera for synchronized release, increasing to twenty the number of groups that can be created, while the number of cameras in each group that can be controlled from the master camera has been increased to sixteen.
• Added [Overwrite copyright info] under [Connect to other cameras] in the [NETWORK MENU].

■ App-Related Changes
With NX MobileAir:

• the camera live view display for photo mode now shows NX MobileAir status, and
• camera settings saved to a memory card using [Save/load menu settings] can now be downloaded to the smart device or copied from the smart device to the camera memory card using NX MobileAir.

■ Other Changes

• The time the shooting display goes dark after shutter is released when [ON] is selected for [Photo flicker reduction] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU] has become shorter.
• Improved the accuracy of [3D-tracking] for small, fast-moving subjects when [Auto], [People], [Animal], or [Vehicle] is chosen for [AF subject detection options] and no subject of the selected type is detected.
• Improved focus lock-on with flicker detection in low-speed continuous release mode.
• Made other improvements to the autofocus operation and its reliability.
• Fixed an issue that sometimes resulted in the viewfinder darkening during playback when [Auto] was selected for [Viewfinder brightness].
• It is now easier to obtain the correct exposure from the first shot during interval-timer photography in high-contrast settings or settings dark enough for starlight view.
• The histogram display is no longer available when starlight view is enabled.
• Changed the video low-capacity warning so that it is now displayed in white on a red background when there is less than one minute remaining. The warning is now also displayed when recording is not in progress.
• Users now have more precise control when scrolling through videos during playback using the progress bar.
• When [AF-area mode] is set to [3D-tracking] and the human subject is large relative to the frame and multiple eyes are detected near the tracking focus point, the camera will assign priority for focusing to the eye closer to the point.
• The RGB histogram is now easier to view when [Mode 1] or [Mode 2] is selected for d11 [Warm display colors] in [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU].
• Fixed the following issues:
- Photos taken with interval-timer photography could sometimes be underexposed.
- Flash may not sometimes fire during focus shift.
- The focus position unintentionally returned to the position saved using [Save focus position] if standby timer was expired while power was supplied via USB and a WR-R10 was attached.
- Optimal exposure could sometimes not achieved in burst or focus shift shooting.
- Pressing the AF-ON button immediately ended playback when [Playback] was assigned to [AF-ON button] and [Prioritize viewfinder (2)] was selected for monitor mode.
- Shutter release was sometimes disabled when “Bulb” was selected for shutter speed.
- Focus point selection using the multi selector and sub-selector was unavailable if a touch operation was performed using [Position focus point] when [3D-tracking] was selected for AF-area mode.
- Fine-tuning values set in [AF fine-tuning options] in the setup menu did not apply while the subject is detected with [Wide-area AF (S)], [Wide-area AF (L)], [Wide-area AF (C1)], or [Wide-area AF (C2)] selected for [AF-area mode].

Auto capture is back on the menu after being quietly yanked off of it. And a new surprise feature out of left field: Pixel shifting!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Happy days :)

I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully the bird tracking is as good as the Z9's.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Gib Z9 pixel shift :colbert:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Yeast posted:

Gib Z9 pixel shift :colbert:

180mp files god drat

I like how they let the Z8 shine a bit and not just have it be a slightly lesser Z9.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

The pixel shifting isn't done in-body and has to be handled via the Nikon NX software. Not sure if a Lightroom plugin could be introduced so things could be handled all in one spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

The pixel shifting isn't done in-body and has to be handled via the Nikon NX software. Not sure if a Lightroom plugin could be introduced so things could be handled all in one spot?

Do any cameras handle it in-body? I wish it was an option but not sure if it's just using too much processing to be practically viable. I was certain Olympus or Pentax would've pulled it off but it doesn't appear to be the case. (edit: looks like the K-1 Mark II might do something like this?)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 7, 2024