Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Is the D600's 28-85 kit lens any good? I'm thinking I'll just get the body and buy glass separately unless the kit lens is quality. I know the 5Dmk2 still comes with a 24-105 f4L for similar money and that's a nice lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Digital Jesus posted:

Is the D600's 28-85 kit lens any good? I'm thinking I'll just get the body and buy glass separately unless the kit lens is quality. I know the 5Dmk2 still comes with a 24-105 f4L for similar money and that's a nice lens.

I actually meant to ask this question too...the quality of the included lens.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

BonoMan posted:

I actually meant to ask this question too...the quality of the included lens.

If nothing else, the old 28-80 3.5-5.6 AF-D is a shockingly good lens, for like a hundred bucks usually.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

If nothing else, the old 28-80 3.5-5.6 AF-D is a shockingly good lens, for like a hundred bucks usually.

Yeah, this is the lens I got for $35. I got a step up ring for my polarizer and it worked really well. It feels really cheap, but the optics are surprisingly good.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

aliencowboy posted:

Yeah, this is the lens I got for $35. I got a step up ring for my polarizer and it worked really well. It feels really cheap, but the optics are surprisingly good.

Yeah I got it for... some small amount when I was in Sydney, and it's the one thing Ken Rockwell was right about. lovely plastic construction, aperture not that fast, but hot drat the optics are some of the best you can get for your money. Even a great lens on a crop body, which is what I use it on.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Digital Jesus posted:

The 24-105 is a lot less nice than many think. So's the 24-120 Nikon makes, while we'
re at it. The 28-80/3.5-5.6 monkey talked about is actually amazing for what you'll pay, and so is the G version. Bonus points if you can get a silver version.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

SoundMonkey posted:

I have the 28-85 3.5-4.5, it's built like a tank and only cost me $35 from KEH. I don't know if the 28-80 is better optically, but the 28-85 just feels really hefty (in a good way). Oh and it does macro too!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G AF-S is good too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Thanks for all the info! Seems like I'd be better off getting the body (which still comes with great discounts) and some glass from KEH.

I'm primarily video and we have several sets of Zeiss CP.2 at our disposal, but I'd like to have a decent 24-85 lens to carry around too.

I'm guessing since I'm doing video primarily I'd need one with vibration reduction?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Thanks for all the info! Seems like I'd be better off getting the body (which still comes with great discounts) and some glass from KEH.

I'm primarily video and we have several sets of Zeiss CP.2 at our disposal, but I'd like to have a decent 24-85 lens to carry around too.

I'm guessing since I'm doing video primarily I'd need one with vibration reduction?

I do mostly video, but I don't own a single VR lens. Use a tripod or some kind of rig.

You really don't even need VR for video on anything under 85mm (on full frame). That being said, having a few stops of VR on a kit lens can help overcome having a slow f/5.6 on the long end when taking photos.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

The 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G AF-S is good too.

Is this the one that's absurdly cheap for no discernable reason? Because if so, I used to own that lens, and were it not for some financial difficulties at the time I still would. Optically it's good, if not amazing, but lightning-fast AF and generally awesome quality make it a great buy if you can find one.

Am I the only one who's increasingly beginning to like old film body kit lenses on crop bodies? It's not QUITE as convenient a focal range as the traditional 18-55, but I've been finding it's nice to have the extra bit on the long end, and 24/28mm is still moderately wide on the other end.

Also in response to your wrong-opinions post in the old thread, there is ONE more-expensive-kit-lens that would be a legitimate upgrade - if you have the 18-55, consider the 18-55 VR. The VR is great, it's not very expensive, and it's just a good lens for the price.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

SoundMonkey posted:

Is this the one that's absurdly cheap for no discernable reason? Because if so, I used to own that lens, and were it not for some financial difficulties at the time I still would. Optically it's good, if not amazing, but lightning-fast AF and generally awesome quality make it a great buy if you can find one.

Am I the only one who's increasingly beginning to like old film body kit lenses on crop bodies? It's not QUITE as convenient a focal range as the traditional 18-55, but I've been finding it's nice to have the extra bit on the long end, and 24/28mm is still moderately wide on the other end.

Also in response to your wrong-opinions post in the old thread, there is ONE more-expensive-kit-lens that would be a legitimate upgrade - if you have the 18-55, consider the 18-55 VR. The VR is great, it's not very expensive, and it's just a good lens for the price.

I hear the 28-70 AF-D 3.5-4.5 is also very good for the <100 you will pay for one.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

I do mostly video, but I don't own a single VR lens. Use a tripod or some kind of rig.

You really don't even need VR for video on anything under 85mm (on full frame). That being said, having a few stops of VR on a kit lens can help overcome having a slow f/5.6 on the long end when taking photos.

This is good to know. We have quite a few jibs and tripods so that's no problem. No handheld DSLR rig though but that's coming soon. Glad to know I don't need VR. I'll just grab the body and some used glass.

Since I'm doing video stuff manually and want manual iris and focus...what type of lenses should I be looking for? I'm not quite familiar with Nikon's naming convention.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Your best bet are the old AI-S lenses. There's a pretty decent throw on those so you won't have to worry about having a light touch with your follow focus. The 50 1.4 AI-S is one of the best kit lenses ever - I have one that came from 1978 or so from a Nikon FE kit and the lens is super sharp after f2 and looks very pleasant. Here's a video I shot primarily with that lens:

https://vimeo.com/51188739

I also love the more expensive but equally awesome 35 and 85 1.4 AI-S lenses. Get those three and then an ultra-wide zoom like the Sigma 17-35 2.8-4 and you're pretty much good to go for most shooting.

If you HAVE to get a modern lens you can get any AF-D lenses, those have an aperture ring (for the moment you'll have to have these over the G lenses, because until Nikon releases their firmware update the D600 can't change aperture while in LiveView or movie mode). But beware, these have a super short throw. My 35 f/2 goes from zero to infinity in about a 1/3 turn of the focus ring.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 22, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

I meant the VR yeah. The nikkor dx kits weren't bad to begin with (hello canon), but VR on a slowish lens I always a goo idea.

I don't think any of the old film kits are really upgrade over the current dx version. Wide end versus far is preference, and the older lenses tend not to be stabilized. On a FX body they're great for providing cheap flexibility.

Mightaswell posted:

I hear the 28-70 AF-D 3.5-4.5 is also very good for the <100 you will pay for one.
If that's what they cost I need to get me one of those.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
What is a fair price to pay for a used 24-70 f/2.8? They can be had locally for $1700 with tax.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A friend just bought a D5100 with the kit lens, to get into "more serious" photography. Assuming he stays with it, could I get him a lens as a gift, for less than $200? I've got in mind something different than what he would be exposed to from camera store sales clerks or other people who would have a DSLR+kit zoom + one other lens. Basically, something other than a 50-200mm f/slow AF zoom that seems to be the second lens in 2-lens kits.

I know nothing about Nikon cameras or lenses, but a nice "normal" prime could be fun. Is there an AF prime, f/2.8 or faster, somewhere between 28mm and 45mm, for less than $200 that will work on his D5100? I'm staying under 50mm because I recently had a chance to play with a D5000 wearing a 50mm/f.4 and while it was a good lens, it was way too tight for the kinds of indoor / people / living room shots I was taking (and that I expect my friend will be taking). An old 28mm f/2.8?

Alternatively, the 2X-8X f/3.5-4.5 zooms mentioned above might be cool.
Would a manual-focus lens meter (even if aperture has to be controlled by the aperture ring) on a D5100? I keep seeing "Nikon AI" in various eBay listings for lenses when I go looking for, e.g. Vivitar Series 1 glass.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Is there an AF prime, f/2.8 or faster, somewhere between 28mm and 45mm, for less than $200 that will work on his D5100?

35/1.8!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Your best bet are the old AI-S lenses. There's a pretty decent throw on those so you won't have to worry about having a light touch with your follow focus. The 50 1.4 AI-S is one of the best kit lenses ever - I have one that came from 1978 or so from a Nikon FE kit and the lens is super sharp after f2 and looks very pleasant. Here's a video I shot primarily with that lens:

https://vimeo.com/51188739

I also love the more expensive but equally awesome 35 and 85 1.4 AI-S lenses. Get those three and then an ultra-wide zoom like the Sigma 17-35 2.8-4 and you're pretty much good to go for most shooting.

If you HAVE to get a modern lens you can get any AF-D lenses, those have an aperture ring (for the moment you'll have to have these over the G lenses, because until Nikon releases their firmware update the D600 can't change aperture while in LiveView or movie mode). But beware, these have a super short throw. My 35 f/2 goes from zero to infinity in about a 1/3 turn of the focus ring.

Thanks for all this info!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

now and forever, amen.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

now and forever, amen.

This is a Correct Opinion in this case. The 35/1.8 isn't like "the lens everyone should have", although it's awesome and I use mine a lot and it's a great value for the money. The weather sealing is a nice bonus, mine's been hit straight-on with a 4-foot wave and didn't even care.

But yeah, if you want a fast prime in that focal range, the 35/1.8 is the lens to get.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
There isn't some market for crappy knock-offs is there? As I'm sort of going through a crash course in educating myself about Nikon's lens history and looking on eBay, etc...I want to make sure I don't get suckered in to buying some crappy knock-off.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No. In the case the comparable third party lens (Sigma 30/1.4) is actually more expensive, and it's got issues of its own. Just get the Nikkor 35 from a good place like amazon or adorama.

SoundMonkey posted:

This is a Correct Opinion in this case. The 35/1.8 isn't like "the lens everyone should have".
Not everyone is cut for a fast normal!!

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 23, 2012

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Not everyone is cut for a fast normal!!

True, the group of people known as "not a photographer".

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
I am glad to catch the Nikon thread while opening up. I just bought my first DSLR yesterday. D3100 85-55V or something. Got it at a really good price.

Honestly, though I will be mostly using this to ~make films~ but I plan on giving photography a go. Use to do it in High School.

I have no idea what I am doing and can't understand a thing your saying so far but hopefully I will pick up some lingo and a few tips. :)

PS. Love the cats. Mine went straight for the camera when I came home for it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

DrNewton posted:

I am glad to catch the Nikon thread while opening up. I just bought my first DSLR yesterday. D3100 85-55V or something. Got it at a really good price.

Honestly, though I will be mostly using this to ~make films~ but I plan on giving photography a go. Use to do it in High School.

I have no idea what I am doing and can't understand a thing your saying so far but hopefully I will pick up some lingo and a few tips. :)

PS. Love the cats. Mine went straight for the camera when I came home for it.

No advise until we get catte pics. :colbert:

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

I'm having some weird issue importing directly from my D800 into aperture on a Retina MBP. I can't seem to get the right google search terms for a meaningful result to see if anyone else had the same issue.

Connecting the camera via the USB, Aperture will see it, and begin to import the RAW files when asked, but the D800 will be disconnected from the computer after a seemingly random period of time (between 1 and 5 images imported) and go back into shooting mode.

Anyone know what's going on or where to go to diagnose the issue?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Why aren't you using a dedicated card reader?

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

I have to grab the pictures, I was just wondering what was going on. Stuff like that bugs me, it should be working.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have a D60, and it works well but I'm feeling held back by the fact that it's only 10MP and the CCD has a lot of noise at 1600/3200 ISO. My understanding is that some of the newer Nikons have better sensors at low light levels.

What would be a good upgrade path for $500-$750? I'm assuming a new camera would be able to use my existing Nikkor lenses and SB600 speedlight, but I'm not sure about the batteries.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

I have a D60, and it works well but I'm feeling held back by the fact that it's only 10MP and the CCD has a lot of noise at 1600/3200 ISO. My understanding is that some of the newer Nikons have better sensors at low light levels.

What would be a good upgrade path for $500-$750? I'm assuming a new camera would be able to use my existing Nikkor lenses and SB600 speedlight, but I'm not sure about the batteries.

The D7000 would probably be the best choice for you, taking a quick look on KEH, they seem to be going for around $650-$750 (there's also a sale going on right now with free shipping FYI). The D60 is the predecessor to the D5100, so not only would you get better sensor performance, the camera should be more fully featured (like AF screw for D lenses).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The d7000 does use the newer battery style though.

e. don't let that deter you, it's an amazing camera.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 24, 2012

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Leempi posted:

I have to grab the pictures, I was just wondering what was going on. Stuff like that bugs me, it should be working.

It's probably the auto-off timer on the camera shutting itself down to conserve battery. Using a card reader will eliminate this problem, and transfer photos faster.

quote:

D60

I don't think you should be too worried about transferring batteries from model to model. I'd be curious to see which batteries are compatible with which models, but for the most part, almost all the newer cameras use completely different batteries.

Newer cameras are way better about battery life anyway. My D200 would drain 2 batteries in a day of shooting; the D700 goes through about 50% in the same amount of time.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 24, 2012

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
How is Nikon with firmware updates? The only single thing that's making me hesitant about the D600 at the moment, and it's not a huge huge thing, is the 60fps at 720p only. Is there hopes of that bumping up to 60@1080 in the future?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I don't think that's a firmware update kind of upgrade.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think those video limitations are due to actual hardware limitations, e.g. bandwidth available from the chip or amount of heat produced by getting that amount of data.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

a foolish pianist posted:

I don't think that's a firmware update kind of upgrade.

Eh I don't see why not. I mean, obviously I don't know the ins and outs of the system, but there have been similar style "unlocked potential" upgrades from other firmwares across lots of products.

Sometimes it's locked intentionally to force products into a tiered strategy (intentionally gimping a product feature) and sometimes it's just something that has to be figured out at a later date (software engineering wise).

Not sure about Nikon's history with that sort of thing though, so that's what sparked my initial question.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

There hasn't been a single firmware hack that has enabled higher framerates. That kind of thing is limited by the on-board processing hardware.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

There hasn't been a single firmware hack that has enabled higher framerates. That kind of thing is limited by the on-board processing hardware.

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. Sucks, but oh well... I can live with it. Hopefully in the future, I'll be able to grab something I can use specifically for slow motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If you really need 1080p60, consider the Sony A99. Same sensor as the D600, but it has a flip out LCD and in-camera stabilization.

That being said, the images that come out of the D600 seem to have a certain mojo. Nikon definitely prioritized dynamic range and the images just look better to me, but you might be happier with an A99.