Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

If you really need 1080p60, consider the Sony A99. Same sensor as the D600, but it has a flip out LCD and in-camera stabilization.

That being said, the images that come out of the D600 seem to have a certain mojo. Nikon definitely prioritized dynamic range and the images just look better to me, but you might be happier with an A99.

Nah I'm really not too concerned about it. Just was the last thing on my mind. Plus I like the idea of building a kit of old rear end Nikkor lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I stumbled across this lens at mom's as her and her boyfriend are going through stuff to sell:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55f35ai.htm

It's worth about $100, but I'm wondering if I should sweet talk her into giving it to me or try for a family discount. According to Ken Rockwell it's a pretty good lens, wondering if I could get some use out of it. I've already got a 50/1.8G so I'm not sure what this does that that one doesn't, other than easier manual focus, and forcing me to go full manual since my D5100 can't talk to it at all.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FISHMANPET posted:

So I stumbled across this lens at mom's as her and her boyfriend are going through stuff to sell:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55f35ai.htm

It's worth about $100, but I'm wondering if I should sweet talk her into giving it to me or try for a family discount. According to Ken Rockwell it's a pretty good lens, wondering if I could get some use out of it. I've already got a 50/1.8G so I'm not sure what this does that that one doesn't, other than easier manual focus, and forcing me to go full manual since my D5100 can't talk to it at all.

It will be a little clunky since you don't have a prosumer body, but the Micro Nikkors are great. They're sharp and will get you macro capabilities.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

It's a macro lens, so it focuses much closer. It's also extremely sharp. It's not long enough to give you close shots of really small things, but it will be excellent for product photos.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FasterThanLight posted:

It's a macro lens, so it focuses much closer. It's also extremely sharp. It's not long enough to give you close shots of really small things, but it will be excellent for product photos.

It does pretty well with the old PK-13 extension tube, and those are cheap as hell these days.

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009
So, a person I work in a studio with recently showed up with three old Nikon lenses, called "Series E" or something like that. Now, I'm not too well versed in the Nikon lens stuff, so I was wondering if these can be mounted on a D5100?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KFJ posted:

So, a person I work in a studio with recently showed up with three old Nikon lenses, called "Series E" or something like that. Now, I'm not too well versed in the Nikon lens stuff, so I was wondering if these can be mounted on a D5100?

They will, but they'll be manual focus only.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And they won't meter. Great for shooting video cheaply.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm pretty dumb, what does metering mean?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Your camera's light meter won't be able to tell you the right shutter speed to use, since the camera can't read the aperture from the lens.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So that's needed for Aperture priority or Shutter priority. The only way to use an old dumb lens is full manual. Right?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

FISHMANPET posted:

So that's needed for Aperture priority or Shutter priority. The only way to use an old dumb lens is full manual. Right?

On a Nikon, yes. Canon digis will let you shoot Ap though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Reichstag posted:

On a Nikon, yes. Canon digis will let you shoot Ap though.

I don't get why Nikons wouldn't. Sure, the camera has no idea how much the lens will stop down, but why can't it aperture-priority meter the wide-open aperture at least? Or do a Pentax green-button style metering?

(I know, they want you to buy the nicer cameras)

mes
Apr 28, 2006

It depends on the camera, the D7000 allows you to shoot aperture priority with MF lenses as long as your tell it the minimum aperture of the lens.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mest0r posted:

It depends on the camera, the D7000 allows you to shoot aperture priority with MF lenses as long as your tell it the minimum aperture of the lens.

The D7000, if I recall, also has an AI metering tab, which the D5100 doesn't.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I'm looking to upgrade my zoom lens. Currently I have the 55-300mm DX lens and I'd like to move up to the 70-200mm 2.8 lens.

I've gotten to use the Nikon version of the lens and it's fantastic, but is there any reason not to go with the Tamron or Sigma versions considering they're less than half the price?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Doggles posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my zoom lens. Currently I have the 55-300mm DX lens and I'd like to move up to the 70-200mm 2.8 lens.

I've gotten to use the Nikon version of the lens and it's fantastic, but is there any reason not to go with the Tamron or Sigma versions considering they're less than half the price?

Quality is probably not going to be as good as the Nikon, but I haven't been able to find a review directly comparing the two.

One other thing to look for is Tamron's new lens, they just announced a 70-200 2.8 with VC (their version of VR). Might be worth waiting to see how that compares, it should be out before the end of the year.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be keeping a lookout for that while I do some more research. I wanted to make sure it simply wasn't the Nikon branding causing the increase in price. Luckily I don't have an immediate need for the lens yet, but it's something I'll be wanting to have for when it starts warming up again for outdoors events.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another reason to possibly go Tamron is that they've instituted a new repair policy where they'll just ship you another lens if they can't fix it in 3 days. The big 70-200 2.8s are somewhat delicate so saving some money and having better repair support might be nice. We'll have to wait and see how it turns out, but the 24-70 2.8 VC turned out pretty good so there's a decent chance this will be too.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Doggles posted:

I have used a friends current generation Tameron 70-200 2.8 NON VR and i was very happy with its results on DX. Lighter than the 80-200 AF-D Onetouch.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

Doggles posted:

The older 80-200 f2.8 (two-ring version) is no slouch, either. Unless you absolutely need the VR you could save some money picking one of those up. I used one for years before I got my D800 and decided to go exclusively primes. Easily one of my favorite lenses I've ever used.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

That 70s Shirt posted:

The older 80-200 f2.8 (two-ring version) is no slouch, either. Unless you absolutely need the VR you could save some money picking one of those up. I used one for years before I got my D800 and decided to go exclusively primes. Easily one of my favorite lenses I've ever used.

I have this lens and owns pretty hard, especially for the money.

The M/A clutch is a bit dumb but I've never been bothered by it. The limit switch can be handy (I seem to recall the limit is 8-10 feet or something).

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Nice, had no idea about the 80-200 version until now. That's going into the consideration pool as well.

Both my 18-105 and 55-300 have vibration reduction so I may try turning that off and seeing how my shots come out to see if I've really been needing that feature. Although I know being able to go up to f/2.8 as opposed to the f/5.6 I've been used to will be a huge help.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Doggles posted:

Nice, had no idea about the 80-200 version until now. That's going into the consideration pool as well.

Both my 18-105 and 55-300 have vibration reduction so I may try turning that off and seeing how my shots come out to see if I've really been needing that feature. Although I know being able to go up to f/2.8 as opposed to the f/5.6 I've been used to will be a huge help.

You will probably need VR if your doing a ton of lowlight shooting and cant push your iso up high.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Doggles posted:

Bearing in mind, of course, that the vibration reduction only helps with camera shake, not subject movement.

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho
I have a Nikon FE that's having the same problem described on Ken Rockwell's website.

Ken Rockwell posted:

I did see one that wouldn't always work at the top speeds. If set to 1/1,000 manually, or if the auto exposure setting wanted a high speed, it would flip up the mirror and hang. To unhang it, you needed to turn the shutter dial to M90 and try again. Oddly, that sample of camera would get better with use, and get worse if left unused.

My problem is similar, but a little different. If I try to use the camera in manual or auto exposure the mirror flips and "hangs." As far as I can tell the shutter curtain doesn't even move, but just the mirror. However, if I put it in M90 mode it works perfectly as an auto exposure camera. I'm sad because I've only owned this camera for a year but it is essentially mint. I bought it from a guy whose dad found it in the closet and said probably only a dozen or so roles of film were ever put through it.

Anybody ever had a similar problem? I live in the Minneapolis area and can't find a Nikon repair place that still fixes the manual focus cameras.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Legitimate Pape posted:

I have a Nikon FE that's having the same problem described on Ken Rockwell's website.

My problem is similar, but a little different. If I try to use the camera in manual or auto exposure the mirror flips and "hangs." As far as I can tell the shutter curtain doesn't even move, but just the mirror. However, if I put it in M90 mode it works perfectly as an auto exposure camera. I'm sad because I've only owned this camera for a year but it is essentially mint. I bought it from a guy whose dad found it in the closet and said probably only a dozen or so roles of film were ever put through it.

Anybody ever had a similar problem? I live in the Minneapolis area and can't find a Nikon repair place that still fixes the manual focus cameras.

My FE had this issue once, I put it in manual mode and fired off 30-40 shots and it stopped doing it.

If that doesn't help replace the batteries and try again.

If that doesn't work then buy my FE.

Also m90 is not going to be doing anything with auto exposure, it's Mechanical 1/90, there's only 1 shutter speed.

e. might not be the same problem, mine would flip the mirror up and it'd sit there for a few moments before actually firing the shutter, so maybe it's a different problem?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My girlfriend's mom just purchased a D800 and I had a chance to shoot with it over the holiday weekend. I'm not in love with it yet, but it at least has me looking twice at the 5DIII I just picked up. :ohdear:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Wait till you work those raw files - the dynamic range and sharpness just kill the 5D3.

They also kill your hard drive, goddamn.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

I've got almost 100TB worth of drives sitting at my desk waiting for purpose, so I'm not too worried about running out of space any time soon. Granted I would need a drat server rack, a server, and some enclosures to put that many drives to use, but still...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

He's probably the only guy in here in a position to not give a gently caress, but yeah, so true :smith:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've got almost 100TB worth of drives sitting at my desk waiting for purpose
Heh if they're just taking space you know...

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

1st AD posted:

Christ, ain't that the truth. I do professional film/video work as well so I'm used to ridiculous file sizes, but the fact that a still camera can produce such large files astounds me.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
D800 is an amazing camera, you get used to 100MB files, you just keep less.

Once you get used to the resolution, the best thing is just being able to crop any part of the shot and it still has enough detail to look great. You forget that 20% of the frame is still 7.2MP

After that the low light capabilities at reasonable iso of <6400 look great. Although it does try to dig too much detail from the blacks which can leave some awkward artefacts but they are easily fixed.

Focus is fast enough, but could be faster, I have had no problem with sports and bird shooting.

I would recommend it to anyone (who can afford it and already have loads of FX lens)

However I have just been using the 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.4 which are very cheap for great results.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Anyone here using a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4? I'm looking for opinions on the lens, as that focal length seems to be my sweet spot for most city shots, and it's not as expensive as the Nikkor 35 f/1.4 (why is that lens so much?). I am also still contemplating between a good general zoom (24-70 f/2.8) and a high quality wide prime. I do a bunch of low light shooting so having a sharp lens wide open is nice, but that additional range from the zoom is nice to have on hand...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd wait and at least try a Sigma 35/1.4, which comes with dazzling AUTOFOCUS. Both Nikon 35's are meh.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

^ sweet, beaten

Have you looked at the new Sigma 35mm f/1.4? There's a lot of buzz around it.

It's only just becoming available now and retails at $899.

Krelas fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 29, 2012

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
^^ Hello!

I'm going to rent the Nikkor and Zeiss from Vistek and see how they work out. If the Sigma is highly reviewed, then I don't see why I would pay a $1000 premium...

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

I'd wait and at least try a Sigma 35/1.4, which comes with dazzling AUTOFOCUS. Both Nikon 35's are meh.

You shut your filthy whore mouth.

Although it's true that the 35 2.5 E is a soft piece of poo poo.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
I am looking to do some more film long exposures, and I don't really want to burn through a bunch of batteries shooting in the cold. I guess I am looking for suggestions for some Nikon SLR along those lines. It would be just grand if it was either the 10 pin or the 'normal' shutter release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Lord Rupert posted:

I am looking to do some more film long exposures, and I don't really want to burn through a bunch of batteries shooting in the cold. I guess I am looking for suggestions for some Nikon SLR along those lines. It would be just grand if it was either the 10 pin or the 'normal' shutter release.

I have a nikon FG and FE for sale in the buy/sell thread right now, both of which have a fully mechanical bulb mode and accept a standard cable release.

The FE will even lock up the mirror via the timer in bulb mode with no batteries installed.