Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

krooj posted:

Anyone here using a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4? I'm looking for opinions on the lens, as that focal length seems to be my sweet spot for most city shots, and it's not as expensive as the Nikkor 35 f/1.4 (why is that lens so much?). I am also still contemplating between a good general zoom (24-70 f/2.8) and a high quality wide prime. I do a bunch of low light shooting so having a sharp lens wide open is nice, but that additional range from the zoom is nice to have on hand...

If you want manual focus, buy a Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 35/1.4. If you want autofocus, wait for the Sigma 35/1.4. Both of those outclass the Nikon at a fraction of the price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Lord Rupert posted:

I am looking to do some more film long exposures, and I don't really want to burn through a bunch of batteries shooting in the cold. I guess I am looking for suggestions for some Nikon SLR along those lines. It would be just grand if it was either the 10 pin or the 'normal' shutter release.

red19fire posted:

The FM2 was, and probably still is, the preferred camera for mountaineering. Why? because it's all mechanical (with an independent meter as an afterthought), meaning no batteries to freeze in sub-zero mountain temperatures and revert to some crappy f/22 limp-along mode. Just know your Sunny 16 rule and you can shoot on Everest, nerds.

The FM2 has a bulb mode, an input for the old wire-style remote release, and will survive the cold. One thing Nikon recommends is special oil for the shutter in sustained sub-zero temperatures, but it should be fine for once-in-awhile shooting in the cold. I think there's phone apps for calculation long exposures as well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

krooj posted:

it's not as expensive as the Nikkor 35 f/1.4 (why is that lens so much?)

Oh, and the reason 35/1.4s are so expensive is that they are much more complex lenses optically. It gets harder to control all the various abberations as you go wider and even harder to do it at superfast speeds. Your standard 50mm f/1.4 has six elements and they are all conventional glass. The Sigma has 13 elements, one is aspheric, two are super-low-dispersion, and one is ultra-low-dispersion. That's a lot of fancy glass. The Sigma 30/1.4 is just a scaled-down 50mm to cover smaller APS-C sensors and not really comparable, although it does have an aspheric and an super low dispersion element I guess.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Welp. D600 ordered. Time to jump on eBay and grab some AI-S lenses. Anybody have some here they are looking to sell?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Welp. D600 ordered. Time to jump on eBay and grab some AI-S lenses. Anybody have some here they are looking to sell?

Adding to this, and out of curiosity: how is the 35mm 1.4 AI-S? They run around $500 on eBay, which is significantly less than any other new fast prime at that focal length.

Good job on the D600 - it takes fantastic pics. How do you feel about the body size?

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you want manual focus, buy a Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 35/1.4. If you want autofocus, wait for the Sigma 35/1.4. Both of those outclass the Nikon at a fraction of the price point.

I went to a local shop to compare the build quality of a Samyang to a Zeiss, and there's no question: the Zeiss is built better. The focus ring on the Zeiss is much finer and smoother than the Samyang, which felt as though it had play in it.

Still need to rent some lenses and see how they compare, though. Also, still undecided between the 24-70 Nikkor and a 35mm fast prime.

krooj fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 30, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

krooj posted:

I went to a local shop to compare the build quality of a Samyang to a Zeiss, and there's no question: the Zeiss is built better. The focus ring on the Zeiss is much finer and smoother than the Samyang, which felt as though it had play in it.

No question at all, Zeiss has the edge in build quality. But the Samyang is 1/4 the price of the Zeiss for similar optical performance. If you're super concerned about it then I'd try and wait for the Sigma, it might have a higher build quality. It's also possible you could take it to a local repair guy who might be able to shim some of the slop out of the focus drive, although that's dumb to have to do on a new lens.

As for fast prime vs fast zoom, they fill a similar but different role. The fast 35 is going to let you get a shallower depth of field, higher resolution, and lower ISO for your given focal length. The zoom loses you two stops of depth of field and light, but offers you the ability to zoom, obviously. That's totally a matter of which you prefer or need.

The AI-S Nikkor is at this point just an inferior lens. It was a great lens for the 70s but modern computer-optimized lenses with modern low-dispersion glass and aspheric elements just blow it out of the water. It just doesn't have anything like the wide-open performance of the Samyang, Zeiss, Sigma, or AF Nikkor variants.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 30, 2012

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

krooj posted:

Adding to this, and out of curiosity: how is the 35mm 1.4 AI-S? They run around $500 on eBay, which is significantly less than any other new fast prime at that focal length.

Good job on the D600 - it takes fantastic pics. How do you feel about the body size?

Well I haven't actually held it yet..ordered it from Amazon. I'm primarily using it for video so I'm eyeing those 35/1.4 ai-s' as well. If you get one before me, lemme know how it is!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The 35mm f/1.4 AIS Nikkor is not a good lens. It's only draw was that it was faster than any other 35mm you could get for your Nikon. If you are gonna go the AIS lens route just get a 35 or 28mm f/2. You seriously won't miss the extra stop on a modern cameraand they are both sharp wide open.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Well I haven't actually held it yet..ordered it from Amazon. I'm primarily using it for video so I'm eyeing those 35/1.4 ai-s' as well. If you get one before me, lemme know how it is!

Interesting - I don't do any video, but I remember overhearing something about how the D600 won't do automatic aperture adjustment while filming video. Supposedly, you have to step up to the D800 for that feature. Did you checkout the Panasonic GH3? It's just been released, so I'm not sure if it's widely available, but is supposed to do video _very_ well. Dunno squat about m4/3 lenses, though.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

krooj posted:

Interesting - I don't do any video, but I remember overhearing something about how the D600 won't do automatic aperture adjustment while filming video. Supposedly, you have to step up to the D800 for that feature. Did you checkout the Panasonic GH3? It's just been released, so I'm not sure if it's widely available, but is supposed to do video _very_ well. Dunno squat about m4/3 lenses, though.

For the record no AIS lens or any other manual focus Nikon mount lens for that matter will do automatic aperture adjustment with any camera.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah but the D800 can adjust aperture when recording, which the D600 can't. It's retarded.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

krooj posted:

Yeah there is no auto aperture in Live View mode, but that doesn't bother me. I'm very used to, and prefer, manual focusing and aperture when shooting. This is for short films and various "can't justify using the RED for" stuff at my agency. That's why I'm seeking out the older AI-S lenses (via advice in this thread)...because I don't need no fancy modern eeelectronics!

As far as the GH3...I did go back and forth very heavily between the two. Talked to 1st AD about it. Ultimately having a full frame sensor PLUS being able to use old cheaper lenses won out. We also have lots of friends around here with prime sets for nikons and other gear that we can borrow a lot, so my options were just wider open with the D600.

edit: Now the live view aperture change IS something that can maybe be upgraded in the future via firmware correct? (as opposed to my 1080p@60 dream which was crushed).

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

BonoMan posted:

edit: Now the live view aperture change IS something that can maybe be upgraded in the future via firmware correct? (as opposed to my 1080p@60 dream which was crushed).

Firmware hacks :yarr:

TBH: assuming you use G or D lenses, I can't see what other than software is preventing automatic aperture adjustment in video LV.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Can yes, will no. I don't think Nikon's ever added features via firmware updates ever, and it's only there to artificially segment their models, there's no technical reason behind it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

evil_bunnY posted:

Can yes, will no. I don't think Nikon's ever added features via firmware updates ever, and it's only there to artificially segment their models, there's no technical reason behind it.

Ouch. Yeah that's what I was saying when talking about fixing the frame-rate (although that is apparently an actual hardware limitation and not intentional gimping). Oh well.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

8th-samurai posted:

The 35mm f/1.4 AIS Nikkor is not a good lens. It's only draw was that it was faster than any other 35mm you could get for your Nikon. If you are gonna go the AIS lens route just get a 35 or 28mm f/2. You seriously won't miss the extra stop on a modern cameraand they are both sharp wide open.

He is correct, its a pretty underwhelming lens. Get the 28 or 35mm f/2. Regarding hacking the firmware, good luck. Most of the hacks are really crappy things like removing the 30min record time off the D5100 or changing the menus to have a star wars theme.

There really isnt a Magic Lantern Nikon firmware tweak like there is for Canon.

The only major feature Nikon has pushed in firmware updates are D2x color profiles 1-3.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Ouch. Yeah that's what I was saying when talking about fixing the frame-rate (although that is apparently an actual hardware limitation and not intentional gimping). Oh well.
The available resolutions/rates is mostly down to processing power on the DSP(s).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah but the D800 can adjust aperture when recording, which the D600 can't. It's retarded.

Firmware update should fix this!

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/11/08/upcoming-firmware-updates-for-nikon-d600-and-d800.aspx/

Too bad it'll probably be months before we see it.

As for the 35mm 1.4 AI-S, it's true that it is not as sharp as any modern 35mm lens. Wide open, it is all sorts of hazy. However, once you get to f2 it cleans up really nice, by f4 it performs well. I used this lens primarily on a GH2 so I was kind of immune to how lovely the corners were wide open.

I really hate bagging this lens though, I had it for a long time and it's really not that bad unless you have to shoot it at 1.4. Eventually I did replace it with a 35 f/2 D - focus barrel sucks and it's a plastic piece of poo poo in comparison, but it just performs better (and now I have a decent 35mm lens for photos).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Re. the Samyang 35/1.4, someone posted a test of the new Sigma 35/1.4 from a Korean site some days ago (I think it was on IRC I saw the link), and the same site also had some comparison shots with the Samyang 35/1.4. The Sigma was much better pretty much everywhere, but particularly in the corners.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

1st AD posted:

Firmware update should fix this!

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/11/08/upcoming-firmware-updates-for-nikon-d600-and-d800.aspx/

Too bad it'll probably be months before we see it.

As for the 35mm 1.4 AI-S, it's true that it is not as sharp as any modern 35mm lens. Wide open, it is all sorts of hazy. However, once you get to f2 it cleans up really nice, by f4 it performs well. I used this lens primarily on a GH2 so I was kind of immune to how lovely the corners were wide open.

I really hate bagging this lens though, I had it for a long time and it's really not that bad unless you have to shoot it at 1.4. Eventually I did replace it with a 35 f/2 D - focus barrel sucks and it's a plastic piece of poo poo in comparison, but it just performs better (and now I have a decent 35mm lens for photos).

If you gotta take the AIS 35mm 1.4 to f/2-f/4 before you start seeing tack sharp images, it makes sense to get the 35mm f/2 since its already drat sharp at f/2. It doesnt feel any cheaper than any AF-D plastic lens.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Well compared to the AI-S versions anyways. The AI-S lenses are built like tanks with a buttery smooth focus ring and a long focus throw. There's a lot of times I do miss the AI-S version because it's much easier to do a smooth pull on a follow focus.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1st AD posted:

It's a problem with coma, not with sharpness. It's a circa-1970 all-spherical superfast lens, that's not surprising. But at this point I think he'd be better off buying a 24-70 since the first couple stops don't really buy him much usability. I really don't get why it goes for $500 on KEH, that'll buy you a new Samyang plus a Franklin left over. I think it's worth maybe half that, on paper it seems like just an easier-to-focus 35/2.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

nielsm posted:

Re. the Samyang 35/1.4, someone posted a test of the new Sigma 35/1.4 from a Korean site some days ago (I think it was on IRC I saw the link), and the same site also had some comparison shots with the Samyang 35/1.4. The Sigma was much better pretty much everywhere, but particularly in the corners.

I'd be interested in seeing this since the the Samyang bested the Nikon and Canon L-series 35/1.4s in Photozone's test (they're my go-to for honest, rigorous testing). Lenstip had similar findings on the Sigma. All four of the lenses are excellent, modern lenses, the gains from going from Nikon/Canon to Samyang/Sigma can only be described as modest (not a whole lot of room to go up, they're all super-sharp across the whole field), and the differences between the Samyang and Sigma have got to be marginal given that.

Maybe if you are shooting a D800 or something like that you're starting to see the difference, but it's still got to be pretty close. I'll be real curious to see what Photozone has to say about the Sigma. Maybe they got a lovely copy or it got dropped in transit or something that hosed it up.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'd be interested in seeing this since the the Samyang bested the Nikon and Canon L-series 35/1.4s in Photozone's test (they're my go-to for honest, rigorous testing). Lenstip had similar findings on the Sigma. All four of the lenses are excellent, modern lenses, the gains from going from Nikon/Canon to Samyang/Sigma can only be described as modest (not a whole lot of room to go up, they're all super-sharp across the whole field), and the differences between the Samyang and Sigma have got to be marginal given that.

Maybe if you are shooting a D800 or something like that you're starting to see the difference, but it's still got to be pretty close. I'll be real curious to see what Photozone has to say about the Sigma. Maybe they got a lovely copy or it got dropped in transit or something that hosed it up.

Interesting, because I'll be using whichever lens I settle on with my D800. Two shops have given me different variations on the same answer to the question of when the 35 1.4 Sigma will be in stock: one said probably in a couple months, and the other said there was a slight delay. Both said Sigma was late on delivery.

e: called another shop, and they said mid-Dec. Prices seem to be around $870-900 CAD.

krooj fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 30, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

I found the link in my history: http://lcap.tistory.com/entry/Sigma-35mm-f14-vs-Samyang-35mm-f14

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

krooj posted:

The contrast and sharpness are pretty bad wide open. Contrast is much better at f/2 and sharpness is great from f/2.8 on down. There's a bit of red/green CA on the edges as well (but not too noticeable unless you're looking at a 1:1 crop). It does have a pretty nice overall look with bokeh and rolloff similar to the 85/1.4 AI-s, but you're probably better off paying significantly less for a 35/2.0 or paying more for a more modern lens.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Been shooting with a D5100 for about a year and a half now and thinking about upgrading. Some of my gripes with the D5100 are :

- Not enough buttons. I have to dig into menus a lot to change settings

- Autofocus performance. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a camera but I find it hunts around alot

- Small. I think I have relatively normal sized hands but it still feels like I'm holding a toy.

I was originally going to look at a D7000 but when the D600 was released I starting playing the whole "Well for this much more..." game. And that's a dangerous game because then you start eyeing the D800.

I primarily take outdoor action photos of motorcycles. Stunt bikes in particular. The action takes place in parking lots and I have gotten away with only needing a 200mm zoom to get some pretty good shots.

I do this as a hobby, but I would like to produce the best pictures possible. Is the D800 (or even D600) overkill for me? The only thing that scares me about the D800, besides the price, is the 36 megapixel sensor. When I go out I end up taking a *lot* of pictures because the tricks happen so fast I like to get a bunch of different shots. I see myself filling up a lot of memory card and hard drives (I also have a terrible habit of keeping every picture I take).

Any advice?

Edit - I forgot to mention that video is fairly important to me also.

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 3, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Legdiian posted:

Been shooting with a D5100 for about a year and a half now and thinking about upgrading. Some of my gripes with the D5100 are :

- Autofocus performance. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a camera but I find it hunts around alot

- Small. I think I have relatively normal sized hands but it still feels like I'm holding a toy.

I was originally going to look at a D7000 but when the D600 was released I starting playing the whole "Well for this much more..." game. And that's a dangerous game because then you start eyeing the D800.

I primarily take outdoor action photos of motorcycles. Stunt bikes in particular. The action takes place in parking lots and I have gotten away with only needing a 200mm zoom to get some pretty good shots.

I do this as a hobby, but I would like to produce the best pictures possible. Is the D800 (or even D600) overkill for me? The only thing that scares me about the D800, besides the price, is the 36 megapixel sensor. When I go out I end up taking a *lot* of pictures because the tricks happen so fast I like to get a bunch of different shots. I see myself filling up a lot of memory card and hard drives (I also have a terrible habit of keeping every picture I take).

Any advice?

It's odd to advise someone against a full-frame body, but if you're barely getting away with 200mm on a crop body, you're gonna need 300mm on a full frame body, and at f/2.8, that's a little expensive.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

It's odd to advise someone against a full-frame body, but if you're barely getting away with 200mm on a crop body, you're gonna need 300mm on a full frame body, and at f/2.8, that's a little expensive.

My comment about the 200mm was a little misleading. What I should have said is that I have never needed anything that long. I frequently use my 18-55 kit lens at 18mm to try and get some form of fisheye effect. I rented a 10mm fisheye and had a great time with it. The point being most of the stuff i'm taking pictures of is done at low speed and I can just about walk right up to the bikes.

Would I be better suited sticking with the crop sensor and getting better glass? Would I see a noticeable improvement in the auto focus department with the D6/800?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Legdiian posted:

My comment about the 200mm was a little misleading. What I should have said is that I have never needed anything that long. I frequently use my 18-55 kit lens at 18mm to try and get some form of fisheye effect. I rented a 10mm fisheye and had a great time with it. The point being most of the stuff i'm taking pictures of is done at low speed and I can just about walk right up to the bikes.

Would I be better suited sticking with the crop sensor and getting better glass? Would I see a noticeable improvement in the auto focus department with the D6/800?

I'm sure you'd see quite an improvement, and if you enjoy shooting wide, those would be some pretty good cameras (assuming you have full-frame wide lenses or are willing to get some).

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Legdiian posted:

Any advice?

Edit - I forgot to mention that video is fairly important to me also.

D800 does auto aperture in video mode, whereas the D600 doesn't.

If space is a concern, just dump everything to an external HDD. I guess you also need high burst rates, and I think the D600 is slightly faster than the D800, but once you add a grip, the D800 gains a slight speed advantage. If price is a concern, just look for a used body.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
D7000 or just wait until the D400/D7000xs or whatever Prosumer DX line is next unless your ready for financial leap such as full frame and lenses to meet your needs. 200mm is infact short on FX compared to DX.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Musket posted:

D7000 or just wait until the D400/D7000xs or whatever Prosumer DX line is next unless your ready for financial leap such as full frame and lenses to meet your needs. 200mm is infact short on FX compared to DX.

IIRC the D7000 and D5100 share the same sensor? Would I see a noticeable improvement in the autofocus department? Any difference in video modes? Does the D7000 do the same thing the D5100 does where you have to exit and re-enter live view mode when you change the aperture?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Legdiian posted:

IIRC the D7000 and D5100 share the same sensor? Would I see a noticeable improvement in the autofocus department? Any difference in video modes? Does the D7000 do the same thing the D5100 does where you have to exit and re-enter live view mode when you change the aperture?

Your improvements would be Body Design and better AF when you go up from a D5xxx to a D7000. Unfortunately Nikon wants you to pay a premium for the features you want.

Also get in the habit of trashing bad images. Nothing you do will make a bad photo good besides posting it overly processed into the street thread.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

krooj posted:

but once you add a grip, the D800 gains a slight speed advantage
Pretty sure that's only in crop modes. FX is 4,5 all the time.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Legdiian posted:

I'm pretty sure if you change the aperture in live view it'll update when you actually take the picture. Even my d5000 can do that.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm pretty sure if you change the aperture in live view it'll update when you actually take the picture. Even my d5000 can do that.
I think the issue is only when shooting video.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Legdiian posted:

I think the issue is only when shooting video.

Hmmm. I know the d800 can do that, but the d600 can't, so I'm betting that the d7000 can't.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Just ordered a D7000. I've recently started work in the Audio Visual department at my work and have been asked to do a lot of still photography (while being trained in video work and editing on Macs). My D90 has been doing a good enough job with an old SB-24 flash, but I've been hankering over the upgrade for some months now.

I took a sizeable pay cut (from mainframe support shift work) to this job, but have never been happier.

edit Any recommendations for memory card spec? I was looking at a pair of SanDisk Extreme SDHC UHS-I or SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I 16GB for each. Will be taking advantage of the video recording as well as normal photography.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

spookygonk posted:

Just ordered a D7000. I've recently started work in the Audio Visual department at my work and have been asked to do a lot of still photography (while being trained in video work and editing on Macs). My D90 has been doing a good enough job with an old SB-24 flash, but I've been hankering over the upgrade for some months now.

I took a sizeable pay cut (from mainframe support shift work) to this job, but have never been happier.

edit Any recommendations for memory card spec? I was looking at a pair of SanDisk Extreme SDHC UHS-I or SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I 16GB for each. Will be taking advantage of the video recording as well as normal photography.

Any Class 10 SD card should be fine for video on a D7000.