Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
How does the D600 compare, in video quality/capabilities, to say... a 5D MKii?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If you have lenses with an aperture ring, it generally outperforms the 5Dmk2 in every category. Higher dynamic range which translates to brighter images at similar ISO's in video mode, about 2/3 more stops of clean ISO, less moire and aliasing.

Currently there is a bug in the firmware that prevents you from changing the aperture electronically while in live view mode, so if you DON'T have any lenses with an aperture ring this could be a dealbreaker. The 5Dmk2 also has access to the Magic Lantern firmware which adds some additional functionality; however, I recently switched to Nikon and I really haven't missed the Magic Lantern functions at all.

Here's a video I did with the D600 and a GH2.

https://vimeo.com/51188739

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Right on, thanks for the advice and the example.

But you gotta clean up that audio, dawg.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The space was in the middle of downtown San Diego there was a ton of ambient noise picked up in the original recording. I wanted to ADR the entire thing over but my friend didn't want to redo more than a couple of lines, so it is what it is.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My D600 came in. So excited. Now I'm just waiting on the lenses to arrive. Plus the memory cards that apparently fell out of the box during shipping. Thanks UPS!

So right now I'm just reading up on the manual and charging the battery. Which reminds me...is there anything to pay attention to when charging the battery? I left it charging overnight and forgot to take it out this morning before I left for work. I know some folks always recommend not "over charging" batteries in general, but I've never been able to get a definitive answer on that.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

BonoMan posted:

My D600 came in. So excited. Now I'm just waiting on the lenses to arrive. Plus the memory cards that apparently fell out of the box during shipping. Thanks UPS!

So right now I'm just reading up on the manual and charging the battery. Which reminds me...is there anything to pay attention to when charging the battery? I left it charging overnight and forgot to take it out this morning before I left for work. I know some folks always recommend not "over charging" batteries in general, but I've never been able to get a definitive answer on that.

Nikon is also worried about batteries "overcharging" which is why every time you format your memory card the camera also discharges any extra power your batteries may have stored for being on the charger too long.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I have a 28mm f/2.8 AI-S lens that has a very stiff focus ring, is there an easy way to loosen it or should I just work on getting stronger fingers?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Plus the memory cards that apparently fell out of the box during shipping. Thanks UPS!

The cards can only fall if the guy packing them was retarded. Tape's cheap.

All modern nikons come with smart chargers: when the battery's full they just stop charging (the LED will be on solid instead of blinking).

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

evil_bunnY posted:

All modern nikons come with smart chargers: when the battery's full they just stop charging (the LED will be on solid instead of blinking).
They also charge fast.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

evil_bunnY posted:

The cards can only fall if the guy packing them was retarded. Tape's cheap.

Nice thanks!

The box all the stuff came in was big (to accommodate the free Amazon Basics DSLR backpack) and one of the entire sides was disconnected at the corner (but barely hanging on from the packing tape) so I imagine it slid out there.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

1st AD posted:

Currently there is a bug in the firmware that prevents you from changing the aperture electronically while in live view mode,

Is this a bug? I thought it was a "feature" to differentiate the D600 from the D800.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ShadeofBlue posted:

Is this a bug? I thought it was a "feature" to differentiate the D600 from the D800.
It's a little broken on the D800 right now anyway. On the D800 in Live View mode, if you focus lock then try to change aperture it turns the screen black. Nikon's promising a fix but I assume it won't be out this year.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

eggsovereasy posted:

I have a 28mm f/2.8 AI-S lens that has a very stiff focus ring, is there an easy way to loosen it or should I just work on getting stronger fingers?

It really shouldn't be that stiff. I'd send it in to be cleaned and re-lubed if you plan on using it much.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

ShadeofBlue posted:

There are bugs in both the D600 and D800 firmwares. Who knows when those fixes will come though. The D600 also has a charming little "bug" where it adds something like a 10 pixel black border around your HDMI output, making external recording a pain. Supposedly this will be addressed in the firmware fix.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Moon Potato posted:

It really shouldn't be that stiff.

:quagmire:

It happens. I have a Micro Nikkor 55/2.8 that's really, really stiff. Must be something about the grease they used, it's nearly as bad as some of the Agfa green glue grease. I think the Micro Nikkor must be particularly bad because of its long helicoid, I can barely turn it and I'm honestly afraid of snapping the lens mount apart.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

It happens. I have a Micro Nikkor 55/2.8 that's really, really stiff. Must be something about the grease they used, it's nearly as bad as some of the Agfa green glue grease. I think the Micro Nikkor must be particularly bad because of its long helicoid, I can barely turn it and I'm honestly afraid of snapping the lens mount apart.

Well my 28 isn't that bad, but it's definitely not as easy as my other AI lenses.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

It does happen, and there are several service centers that can fix it. You can buy another 55/2.8 for roughly the cost of a cleaning, but it's probably worth it for the 28/2.8 if you plan on using it regularly. IIRC, focalpointlens.com charged about $160 for a cleaning but any reputable servicer will give you a quote free of charge if you send in your lens.

MrStaticVoid
Jul 11, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's a little broken on the D800 right now anyway. On the D800 in Live View mode, if you focus lock then try to change aperture it turns the screen black. Nikon's promising a fix but I assume it won't be out this year.

Anyone know why Nikon hasn't started adding electromagnetic diaphragms to all of their new lenses? Seems like that would solve a lot of problems around live aperture changes, and they have the technology.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

MrStaticVoid posted:

Anyone know why Nikon hasn't started adding electromagnetic diaphragms to all of their new lenses? Seems like that would solve a lot of problems around live aperture changes, and they have the technology.

You shut your filthy mouth, mechanical apertures own.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

ShadeofBlue posted:

Well seeing how it's there in the D7000 I'm pretty sure they would have fixed it by now...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrStaticVoid posted:

Anyone know why Nikon hasn't started adding electromagnetic diaphragms to all of their new lenses?
You'd think so but heh Nikon.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Can anyone recommend a book for the d7000? There are several to choose from out there.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

D7000s don't read, so get something with pictures.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Goldmund posted:

Can anyone recommend a book for the d7000? There are several to choose from out there.

Is there any reason you want a book specific to the D7000? A general photography manual might be better - you can get the technical details particular to the D7000 from the instruction manual.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

aliencowboy posted:

D7000s don't read, so get something with pictures.

:rimshot:

a foolish pianist posted:

Is there any reason you want a book specific to the D7000? A general photography manual might be better - you can get the technical details particular to the D7000 from the instruction manual.

I've got a few basic photography books that have been really helpful. I guess I'm just looking for something that's a bit easier to read than the manual, with more examples and images to work with.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Goldmund posted:

Everybody Poops. It will prepare you for all teh poo poo images your about to post. :iceburn:

Idiots guide to D7000 or the Chiltons Car manual for a 1977 VW Beatle

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Still no memory card, but I got my first lens in today, the 35mm/2 AIs. Slapped that bad boy on and had a look see. My first impressions over the 30 seconds I was able to fiddle with it at lunch were:

-awesome
-the image flickers big time every time I change the stop it typically "settles" after a few seconds. Something to do with a modern camera using an older manual lens maybe?
-switching to live view in movie mode produces an almost totally black picture in normal daylight. Hmmm. I'll have to figure it out when I get back home.

It's my first DSLR so I'm sure it's just some settings I have to get used to.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is it actually the 35 AI-S or some other lens, like the AF-D? Modern lenses with an aperture ring will also have an electronically controlled aperture, so under default settings you would have to have the aperture stopped down to f22 (or whatever the smallest aperture is on that lens) to even begin to control the aperture.

There is a setting that disables this behavior and allows you to control the aperture via the aperture ring.

Also, make sure you are in manual mode and not aperture or shutter priority (or god forbid full auto).

Your flickering issue is weird, I've never had that issue.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Is it actually the 35 AI-S or some other lens, like the AF-D? Modern lenses with an aperture ring will also have an electronically controlled aperture, so under default settings you would have to have the aperture stopped down to f22 (or whatever the smallest aperture is on that lens) to even begin to control the aperture.

There is a setting that disables this behavior and allows you to control the aperture via the aperture ring.

Also, make sure you are in manual mode and not aperture or shutter priority (or god forbid full auto).

Your flickering issue is weird, I've never had that issue.

I'll try those settings when I get home. I figure it's something like that.

The flickering is a little weird, but since it's an older lens it might be that. I have a friend with an AF-D up here that I can take home and compare and contrast to see if I can nail down the issue.

I'm definitely in Manual mode.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 6, 2012

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I regularly use AI-S lenses without an issue, so there's probably a setting like exposure compensation that is adjusting whenever you change your aperture.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Musket posted:

Everybody Poops. It will prepare you for all teh poo poo images your about to post. :iceburn:

Idiots guide to D7000 or the Chiltons Car manual for a 1977 VW Beatle

Fine, I'll just keep all my out of focus cat photos to myself then!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Seriously though, what in the world do you need to learn about your camera that you need another book in addition to the manual?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reichstag posted:

Seriously though, what in the world do you need to learn about your camera that you need another book in addition to the manual?
Nothing, but people confuse learning the camera with learning photography basics.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Reichstag posted:

I need pretty pictures to understand how to turn on Auto Iso :colbert: Its clear you have never RTFM Reichstag.

If you need more than this, return the D7000 and buy a Canon Elph. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/nikon-d7000-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Goldmund posted:

Thom Hogan seems pretty smart on his website but I haven't actually read any of his books.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Didn't realize this was such a contentious issue. I was having some trouble figuring out how to manually select the focus spot while in auto-focus mode, and wasn't quite grasping what the manual was getting at. I found the answer easy enough online, just figured that having a secondary reference would be handy for stuff like that in the future.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
Yeah, I'm not really understanding why it's such a big thing either. For someone not familiar with cameras, the manual may be too "techie" for them to fully understand. A secondary "For Dummies" or whatever reference would probably put that stuff in easier to understand language. If someone needs it, they need it. Big deal.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just tried out a co-worker's 28-200 AF-D and 50/1.8 AF-D.

Hated the zoom. The 50 was okay, but no aperature in live view is definitely a lovely thing. Plus even at 1.8 it just didn't seem anywhere as fast as the old AIs 50/2. Still a little flickering on that when changing exposure although it seems to lessen.

Great image though. I have another older AIs coming tomorrow so I'll see if the flickering issue is present there. It doesn't happen with the AF-Ds at all.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

'Nikon D7000: From Snapshots to Great shots' is probably what you're looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D7000-Snapshots-Great-Shots/dp/0321766547

Half of it covers the basics of photography and will be the same if you have read Understanding Exposure, the other half is going through all the features of the camera and explaining clearly what they do. I'd only recommend this series of books if it's the first time you've picked up a DSLR and you're trying to figure out what each button and menu option does, it was much more helpful than the manual for me.

Also, Borrowlenses.com have discovered that some D600s are not closing their apertures correctly and are overexposing by about 2 stops because of it. I wonder how long a fix will be for this one.

http://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/2012/12/is-the-canon-6d-under-exposing/

Krelas fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

BonoMan posted:

Just tried out a co-worker's 28-200 AF-D and 50/1.8 AF-D.

Hated the zoom. The 50 was okay, but no aperature in live view is definitely a lovely thing. Plus even at 1.8 it just didn't seem anywhere as fast as the old AIs 50/2. Still a little flickering on that when changing exposure although it seems to lessen.

Great image though. I have another older AIs coming tomorrow so I'll see if the flickering issue is present there. It doesn't happen with the AF-Ds at all.

Maybe the flickering is the camera closing the aperture to figure out the aperture size then quickly re-opening it?