Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

a foolish pianist posted:

Maybe the flickering is the camera closing the aperture to figure out the aperture size then quickly re-opening it?

It appears to only happen at 2.8/4/5.6 on the lens. Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You can change the aperture on any D lenses in live view:

f6 Custom Settings Menu > Controls > Customize command dials > Aperture setting
When switching this to OFF, the aperture cannot be controlled with the sub-command dial, but with the aperture ring.

On ON it would show «fEE» when manually changing the aperture with the ring – except on non-CPU lenses which are configured in Setup Menu > Non-CPU lens data.

edit: I don't like controlling the aperture with the ring while I'm shooting stills, so what I ended up doing was doing a custom configuration saved to the U1/U2 dial so that it would default to standard picture styles and CPU control of the aperture, while M would give me mechanical control over the iris and a flat picture profile.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 7, 2012

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

You can change the aperture on any D lenses in live view:

f6 Custom Settings Menu > Controls > Customize command dials > Aperture setting
When switching this to OFF, the aperture cannot be controlled with the sub-command dial, but with the aperture ring.

On ON it would show «fEE» when manually changing the aperture with the ring – except on non-CPU lenses which are configured in Setup Menu > Non-CPU lens data.

edit: I don't like controlling the aperture with the ring while I'm shooting stills, so what I ended up doing was doing a custom configuration saved to the U1/U2 dial so that it would default to standard picture styles and CPU control of the aperture, while M would give me mechanical control over the iris and a flat picture profile.

Gotcha... I do remember you mentioning that earlier. I'm in love with this thing so far and trying to rush through my "EVERYTHING IS BEAUUUUUUUTIFULLLLLLL!" phase. I've only got about 15 bokeh pictures of my Christmas tree so far. That feels fairly restrained for a first night.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Cat photos. Where are they?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Cat photos. Where are they?

I haveatheno cat. I do have some incredibly adorable Boston Terrier pics that I could probably find if I had archives. Or a negative scanner.

Speaking of cat pics... do you have a matte box you'd recommend or have used?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I actually don't run around with a matte box, funny enough. I usually just put flags on C-stands if I absolutely have to. I got to borrow my friend's Redrock shoulder rig which has the matte box and follow focus - it's a bit heavy overall but the parts are all super solid and well-manufactured. It's stupidly expensive though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

I actually don't run around with a matte box, funny enough. I usually just put flags on C-stands if I absolutely have to. I got to borrow my friend's Redrock shoulder rig which has the matte box and follow focus - it's a bit heavy overall but the parts are all super solid and well-manufactured. It's stupidly expensive though.

Holllllly crap yeah that's expensive.

Going to have to find a cheaper solution. Mainly to utilize all our filter sets we already have. We'll throw up some c-stands and flags for lensers, but it'd be nice to have a matte box for a little more off the cuff handheld stuff.

Goddamn this is an expensive hobby.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I keep wondering if I'd be richer now if I'd taken up heroin instead.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Got my 50mm 1.4 AIs lens in today and it's defective :(. Bummer.

The aperture ring didn't seem to work, so when I took it off and fiddled with the aperture lever I determined that it will work fine between 16 and 4. But as soon as you take it up to 2.8 it won't ever go back smaller.

Oh well. At least this eBay dude accepts returns.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I've got a D600, which of course has the dust/oil issue that seems endemic to them. What do I do about this? Will Nikon fix it under warranty? I'm over 3000 shots, so according to the internet no new spots should develop, but I have no idea what to do.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

borkencode posted:

I've got a D600, which of course has the dust/oil issue that seems endemic to them. What do I do about this? Will Nikon fix it under warranty? I'm over 3000 shots, so according to the internet no new spots should develop, but I have no idea what to do.

Call and ask them? Worst that can happen is that they tell you to eat chain.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My D600 is definitely overexposing like that article someone posted. At least I think it is. Taking low light pics of my wife (giggity) in our living room. My meter is balanced evenly, but the pictures definitely feel a stop or two brighter.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

So put dial in some exposure compensation, that's what the button is there for.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr. Despair posted:

So put dial in some exposure compensation, that's what the button is there for.

Even in regards to the D600 over exposing compared to all the other cameras set at the same settings as seen here: http://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/2012/12/is-the-canon-6d-under-exposing/ ?

I mean I get that you can compensate for it, and it's the first time I've noticed it (even though my camera is relatively new and I've barely used it), but it seems a little weird when it's overexposing compared to all the other brands at the same settings. "Being able to compensate for it" doesn't seem to make it okay.

That's of course if it's just not me screwing something up, which it very well could be.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 9, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

BonoMan posted:

Even in regards to the D600 over exposing compared to all the other cameras set at the same settings as seen here: http://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/2012/12/is-the-canon-6d-under-exposing/ ?

I mean I get that you can compensate for it, and it's the first time I've noticed it (even though my camera is relatively new and I've barely used it), but it seems a little weird when it's overexposing compared to all the other brands at the same settings.

That link you linked is talking about bent aperture levers. Is your aperture lever bent? If yes: send it in for repair(or return it and buy a different one). If no: dial in exposure compensation.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr. Despair posted:

That link you linked is talking about bent aperture levers. Is your aperture lever bent? If yes: send it in for repair(or return it and buy a different one). If no: dial in exposure compensation.

Oh look at that! There's an update on there I hadn't seen since last time I checked (I just already had that tab opened, so I copied and pasted).

Nevermind then on my comment. I suppose it's like reading potential side effects on a medicine bottle. All of a sudden I have them all!

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

BonoMan posted:

My D600 is definitely overexposing like that article someone posted. At least I think it is. Taking low light pics of my wife (giggity) in our living room. My meter is balanced evenly, but the pictures definitely feel a stop or two brighter.

Chances are the issue is between shutter button and the back of your skull.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

borkencode posted:

Chances are, no. Sensor cleanings are cheap.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I mean I get that you can compensate for it, and it's the first time I've noticed it (even though my camera is relatively new and I've barely used it), but it seems a little weird when it's overexposing compared to all the other brands at the same settings. "Being able to compensate for it" doesn't seem to make it okay.

That's of course if it's just not me screwing something up, which it very well could be.

Are you shooting JPG or RAW? I think the standard curve in the JPG engine lifts the midtones a lot as a result of Nikon trying to squeeze all that dynamic range into an 8-bit codec. I've noticed this in video mode where, especially at lower ISO's, the image is way brighter than other bodies at the same settings would produce.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Musket posted:

Chances are the issue is between shutter button and the back of your skull.

Oh look.. a PEBKAC joke!

1st AD posted:

Are you shooting JPG or RAW? I think the standard curve in the JPG engine lifts the midtones a lot as a result of Nikon trying to squeeze all that dynamic range into an 8-bit codec. I've noticed this in video mode where, especially at lower ISO's, the image is way brighter than other bodies at the same settings would produce.

JPG. I'll try again tonight with RAW and see what is seems like. I tried last night using the exposure compensation button and it wasn't doing anything which is odd.

I'm very well aware most of the problems are with me learning to use a DSLR though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
doh: double post

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

BonoMan posted:

doh: double post

PEBKAC :v:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Well... I was just asking for that!

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I honestly dont think you understand how to properly use Nikons Metering system.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Musket posted:

I honestly dont think you understand how to properly use Nikons Metering system.

Maybe not? I'm getting used to it and sort of learning on the fly. I just took a shot last night, evenly metered, and it seemed a bit overly exposed. So I just immediately took the same shot over and over with using exposure compensation button up a few stops and then down a few stops and all the shots looked the exact same. I had just come off a 18 hour day on set and was dead tired so I turned it off with "eh I'll look again tomorrow." So I'll check again in a few minutes and see what I was doing wrong. I mean I know how to do basic metering on a camera. This is my first DSLR, but I used to use an old school SLR back in the 90s and use a Red ONE pretty regularly. I know how to meter, I'm just not used to the camera.

That said, you aren't really providing any actual useful feedback. Just some snarky posts.

edit: ohhhh I see what I was doing wrong. In Live View, when you change the Exposure Adjustment, it actually changes the image on the screen, so I assumed it was changing the image I was taking... almost like an image post processing. It's just giving me a guide to help re-adjust. I see that now.

I'm so used to shooting while standing in front of a monitor in a very "what you see is what you get" matter that I have to shift gears a tad.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 10, 2012

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
You can only say RTFM so many ways before all thats left is snark.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

True story, I actually have no idea how to use the matrix metering with any degree of accuracy. I just set it to spot meter and point the camera at varying spots in the frame where brightness differs and make sure that nothing's gonna be too blown out.

I really want to get a handheld meter.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

1st AD posted:

True story, I actually have no idea how to use the matrix metering with any degree of accuracy. I just set it to spot meter and point the camera at varying spots in the frame where brightness differs and make sure that nothing's gonna be too blown out.

I really want to get a handheld meter.

To use matrix metering with accuracy point the camera at stuff. Matrix uses the whole frame and a massive database if images to select the best exposure. The only thing you need to do is pay attention and if the setting looks off set some compensation for that lighting scenario (not often).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

True story, matrix metering is retarded and still heavily prioritizes the AF point you used to establish focus.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

True story, matrix metering is retarded and still heavily prioritizes the AF point you used to establish focus.

Yet another objectively wrong post brought to you by 'evil_bunnY'.

The matrix meter in my old-bullshit D200 does a pretty good job, and the matrix meter in most newer bodies is nothing short of spectacular in how often it ends up being 'correct'.

I can also see the logic behind y'know, the meter paying attention to the thing you've told the camera to pay attention to.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Nikon Matrix Metering has its use. Its a good set it and forget it setting but its prone to the faults by the user. One of the drawbacks of letting the camera think for you.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

SoundMonkey posted:

Yet another objectively wrong post brought to you by 'evil_bunnY'.

The matrix meter in my old-bullshit D200 does a pretty good job, and the matrix meter in most newer bodies is nothing short of spectacular in how often it ends up being 'correct'.

I can also see the logic behind y'know, the meter paying attention to the thing you've told the camera to pay attention to.

Matrix metering is horrible IMO. Everything on my D7k that I matrix meter turns out overexposed vs. spot metering.

I tried matrix metering on some velvia 100 with my N90s and got universally horrible results.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

tijag posted:

Matrix metering is horrible IMO. Everything on my D7k that I matrix meter turns out overexposed vs. spot metering.

I tried matrix metering on some velvia 100 with my N90s and got universally horrible results.

You might be doing it wrong, even if we can't get to "matrix metering is pretty loving awesome these days", it's a far cry from "horrible".

This said by a guy who shoots in matrix meter like 75% of the time.

Edit: Wait are you saying you leave the camera in spot metering mode for like day to day use?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The matrix metering on my D800 seems to overexpose somewhat regularly compared to the 5dII it replaced. It's also harder for me to predict when I'll need to dial in compensation than it was on the 5D, though part of that is probably due to me being a long time Canon user still getting used to Nikon's system.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

powderific posted:

The matrix metering on my D800 seems to overexpose somewhat regularly compared to the 5dII it replaced. It's also harder for me to predict when I'll need to dial in compensation than it was on the 5D, though part of that is probably due to me being a long time Canon user still getting used to Nikon's system.

I'd almost be happy about that, the D200 is so poo poo-scared of blowing a single pixel that I just leave it at +0.3 all the time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

powderific posted:

The matrix metering on my D800 seems to overexpose somewhat regularly compared to the 5dII it replaced.
I have had -.5 dialled on mine since the day I got it. Same on the d90 before that.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

I have had -.5 dialled on mine since the day I got it. Same on the d90 before that.

Plus on the D800, there is so much data in the darkness that its better to underexpose slightly than overexpose IMO.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I don't use nikon but here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D7000-16-2MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-/300829652597

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Thanks for posting your ebay sale. :dogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
So, I'm poor and own a D3100 because I'm firmly and forever set in the hobbyist basket of all this, and I've never owned a flash. (Speedlight? Strobe?) So, thinking ahead, I'm planning on getting one in the Spring when my tax return comes in. Was reading the Lighting thread, but, I've got a lot more to read as I'm getting lost on some of the hardware.

Because I only have the D3100 model, which lacks some features, for instance an internal AF screw, is there anything I should look for in a flash to be able to do off-body lighting? For example, I don't think mine can do wireless communication, as I had to get a corded remote to fire it that way, as the wireless one proudly stated that it wouldn't work with the D3100. :smith:

I've been working with some pretty cheap/spartan lighting. Bought one of those white diffuser umbrellas and a 20 dollar 500 watt halogen work light from a local hardware store, but, that thing gets so hot that, within a couple minutes, everything starts to smell like "heat", so, a real flash sounds like a pretty useful tool.

Digging through Amazon, the SB-700 looks pretty good, but, what other gear would I need to be able to fire this off-body? Some sort of coily cord I'd imagine that attaches to the shoe?