Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Aramek posted:

So, I'm poor and own a D3100 because I'm firmly and forever set in the hobbyist basket of all this, and I've never owned a flash. (Speedlight? Strobe?) So, thinking ahead, I'm planning on getting one in the Spring when my tax return comes in. Was reading the Lighting thread, but, I've got a lot more to read as I'm getting lost on some of the hardware.

Because I only have the D3100 model, which lacks some features, for instance an internal AF screw, is there anything I should look for in a flash to be able to do off-body lighting? For example, I don't think mine can do wireless communication, as I had to get a corded remote to fire it that way, as the wireless one proudly stated that it wouldn't work with the D3100. :smith:

I've been working with some pretty cheap/spartan lighting. Bought one of those white diffuser umbrellas and a 20 dollar 500 watt halogen work light from a local hardware store, but, that thing gets so hot that, within a couple minutes, everything starts to smell like "heat", so, a real flash sounds like a pretty useful tool.

Digging through Amazon, the SB-700 looks pretty good, but, what other gear would I need to be able to fire this off-body? Some sort of coily cord I'd imagine that attaches to the shoe?
http://www.amazon.com/Strato-Wireless-Trigger-Set-Nikon/dp/B0056MPWZU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355325353&sr=1-2

Allow you to fire your flash wireless up to 100m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Aramek posted:

So, I'm poor and own a D3100 because I'm firmly and forever set in the hobbyist basket of all this, and I've never owned a flash. (Speedlight? Strobe?) So, thinking ahead, I'm planning on getting one in the Spring when my tax return comes in. Was reading the Lighting thread, but, I've got a lot more to read as I'm getting lost on some of the hardware.

Because I only have the D3100 model, which lacks some features, for instance an internal AF screw, is there anything I should look for in a flash to be able to do off-body lighting? For example, I don't think mine can do wireless communication, as I had to get a corded remote to fire it that way, as the wireless one proudly stated that it wouldn't work with the D3100. :smith:

I've been working with some pretty cheap/spartan lighting. Bought one of those white diffuser umbrellas and a 20 dollar 500 watt halogen work light from a local hardware store, but, that thing gets so hot that, within a couple minutes, everything starts to smell like "heat", so, a real flash sounds like a pretty useful tool.

Digging through Amazon, the SB-700 looks pretty good, but, what other gear would I need to be able to fire this off-body? Some sort of coily cord I'd imagine that attaches to the shoe?

Does the sb-700 sync on other flashes? I know my yongnuo can use the onboard flash to trigger, so I've gotten by with setting the onboard flash to minimum power and letting the offboard flash do all the work.

Otherwise you can get cheap wireless triggers like this http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-...ireless+trigger

but i'm not sure you'll keep functionality like i-TTL though.

e. Mustket's trigger option looks much nicer in that regard.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Edit: ^^^^ The 700 does do wireless slave to normal flashes. It's called SU-4 mode for some reason. ^^^^^

I don't know if I'd spring for the 700 if you can't use CLS. I mean, I have one and it's great, but the Yongnuo stuff is half the price and probably just as good for most uses. There are a whole bunch of wireless options out there that'll work at better ranges and more situations than CLS anyway.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Does the sb-700 sync on other flashes? I know my yongnuo can use the onboard flash to trigger, so I've gotten by with setting the onboard flash to minimum power and letting the offboard flash do all the work.

Otherwise you can get cheap wireless triggers like this http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-...ireless+trigger

but i'm not sure you'll keep functionality like i-TTL though.

e. Mustket's trigger option looks much nicer in that regard.

Gotta go full manual brah with those as well as the Phottix. The main difference besides cost and build quality is that if you mount the popper to the hotshoe then a flash on top of it, it will do TTL pass-through, it will not TTL pass to your umbrellas though.

SB700 will fire your other flashes if they are wireless/optical slave but... you gotta trigger the SB700 somehow and the D3100 cannot command CLS. Powderfici is pretty spot on, if you cant use your body to trigger CLS and dont have an SU-800 commander its best to look at the Yongnuo flash heads and wireless triggers.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Well, yongnuo supremacy then.

All hail our chinese flash overlords. (I love my yongnuo)

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-56...eywords=yongnuo is the one I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-56...eywords=yongnuo will give you ttl but otherwise the specs don't seem as nice (longer recycle time, higher minimum power, things like that).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Aramek posted:

What do you want to shoot? Do you have a fast lens already?

Aramek posted:

Third parties make some compatible wireless releases if you're really attached to that.

Aramek posted:

That smell comes from the dust accumulated on the bulb.

Aramek posted:

None if you put your popup on manual power, as low it'll go, and put the SB-700 in SU-4 mode (optical triggering).

If you want TTL, you need either the coily cord or TTL-capable wireless transceivers like these:

http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/

Mr. Despair posted:

Does the sb-700 sync on other flashes?
It has an optical slave.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

evil_bunnY posted:

What do you want to shoot? Do you have a fast lens already?
Yeah, nothing special, only of my lenses that can be considered fast are the 1.8 primes, the 35 and the 50. I use the 35 the vast majority of the time as I have no AF screw, the 50 I got is manual only. I was a lot dumber about photography when I first got it. Still pretty dumb, but, hey. :v:

So the Yongnuo YN-560 II and the Strato II Wireless 5 in 1 that were linked sound like they'd work. What I've always wanted to shoot was this Caravaggio light style that I've seen some photographers do. Like, the room/subject itself is really dark with a strong off body flash being the only light coming in sideways. Maybe someday I can figure out how to do that, but, those two pieces of gear would be the best starting point?

See, I dunno if my camera can do TTL or not. Playing with the options, it does have several metering choices (I just leave it on Matrix so far) I just noticed that the wireless shutter remote didn't respond with it. I saw some of the third party ones too, but, I seem to remember reading in the comments that they didn't work for the D3100 either.

As for subjects, I just wanna be able to shoot friends/family/stuff/dog without it looking like total rear end. Usually dog. Dog is most of my photos it seems.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Aramek posted:

Yeah, nothing special, only of my lenses that can be considered fast are the 1.8 primes, the 35 and the 50. I use the 35 the vast majority of the time as I have no AF screw, the 50 I got is manual only. I was a lot dumber about photography when I first got it. Still pretty dumb, but, hey. :v:

So the Yongnuo YN-560 II and the Strato II Wireless 5 in 1 that were linked sound like they'd work. What I've always wanted to shoot was this Caravaggio light style that I've seen some photographers do. Like, the room/subject itself is really dark with a strong off body flash being the only light coming in sideways. Maybe someday I can figure out how to do that, but, those two pieces of gear would be the best starting point?

See, I dunno if my camera can do TTL or not. Playing with the options, it does have several metering choices (I just leave it on Matrix so far) I just noticed that the wireless shutter remote didn't respond with it. I saw some of the third party ones too, but, I seem to remember reading in the comments that they didn't work for the D3100 either.

As for subjects, I just wanna be able to shoot friends/family/stuff/dog without it looking like total rear end. Usually dog. Dog is most of my photos it seems.
Your camera does TTL, but few radio triggers will allow TTL Pass-through. That feature is why Pocket Wizards cost so much drat money besides the fact they are drat near 100% reliable.

The Yongnuo and StratoII combo will allow you to do dog/friend/stuff/family photos with off camera lighting. You will need to play with flash settings to figure out the right amount of light you want but thats stuff you can learn via trial and error or http://strobist.blogspot.com/ or http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shoe-Diaries-Light-Flashes/dp/0321580141 or our very own lighting thread.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Aramek posted:

All your camera metering is TTL. The question is whether you want to do *flash* metering through the lens, or chimping manual power.

TTL flash metering is basically the pre-firing the flash at a set (low) power, the camera meter measuring how much light comes back on top of ambient, and then computing how much flash power you need to reach the exposure value you've chosen, then telling the flash that, then triggering it when the shutter's open.

You still haven't told us what you (want to) shoot.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 12, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Aramek posted:

D3100 is fully capably of doing TTL flash metering, as long as it's hooked up with an iTTL connection (iTTL is Nikon's TTL protocol) to an iTTL flash. The built in popup flash is TTL. Putting an SB-700 in the hotshoe lets you use TTL. Hooking an SB-700 up with an iTTL-capably cord gives you TTL.

What D3100 can't do (by itself) is control CLS, Nikon's optical wireless TTL system. However most modern flashes that can be set to manual mode also have a basic optical trigger function, where they simply shoot the moment they see another flash go off, and that other flash could e.g. be the popup flash set to manual mode and lowest power.
I believe you can also get some wireless radio triggers with full iTTL support, but those are seriously expensive.

So I'd say you have two options for off-camera flash: Wired with an iTTL cable, or wireless in manual mode, using either a radio trigger or basic optical triggering.
Wireless lets you do fancy things easier (because you aren't constrained by a cable), and in those cases you probably want to use manual controls anyway. TTL can however be good for simple bounce flash indoors, and for that you can just as well keep the flash in the hotshoe.
So I would suggest you get a flash capable of iTTL and manual control, and a cheap radio trigger.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

evil_bunnY posted:

You still haven't told us what you (want to) shoot.

I feel like answering this is some sort of trap and that I'll catch poo poo for not being a real photographer. But, mainly just portrait sort of stuff for my friends, family, but mostly my dog. (Unless I'm misunderstanding, and you're not meaning what subjects I want to shoot.)

For indoor sort of stuff, I've had passable results with a crazy amount of sunlight:

But the on-body flash is so harsh:

So, because I think it is too harsh, I think it looks better without, even at the high ISO:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Wanna pet that dogge.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Aramek posted:

I feel like answering this is some sort of trap and that I'll catch poo poo for not being a real photographer. But, mainly just portrait sort of stuff for my friends, family, but mostly my dog. (Unless I'm misunderstanding, and you're not meaning what subjects I want to shoot.)
I meant what kind of subjects yeah, and I'd much rather you shoot your dog than hobo's and the back of people's heads

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Show us your catte.

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/13/for-tonight-200-price-drop-on-the-d800-free-24-85mm-lens-with-the-purchase-of-the-d600.aspx/#more-50272

Nikon Rumors is reporting a free kit 24-85 kit lens with the purchase of a D600 body. I wonder if this is temporary or a permanent price drop?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Legitimate Pape posted:

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/13/for-tonight-200-price-drop-on-the-d800-free-24-85mm-lens-with-the-purchase-of-the-d600.aspx/#more-50272

Nikon Rumors is reporting a free kit 24-85 kit lens with the purchase of a D600 body. I wonder if this is temporary or a permanent price drop?

Coming from a D5100, am I correct in thinking that that lens on the D600 would be the equivalent of 16-56 lens on a D5100? So slightly wider than my 18-55 kit lens? That's a really good price right?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Legdiian posted:

Coming from a D5100, am I correct in thinking that that lens on the D600 would be the equivalent of 16-56 lens on a D5100? So slightly wider than my 18-55 kit lens? That's a really good price right?

28-80 on FX is still 28-80 on DX. Field of View changes.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
A 16mm lens on a DX camera would look the same through the eyepiece as a 24mm lens on FX.

A 16mm lens on FX would look wider than on DX, and a 24mm lens on DX would look narrower than on FX.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

That 70s Shirt posted:

A 16mm lens on a DX camera would look the same through the eyepiece as a 24mm lens on FX.

A 16mm lens on FX would look wider than on DX, and a 24mm lens on DX would look narrower than on FX.

Correct. The more technical way to put this is, focal length only has meaning with regard to sensor size. The maximum sensor size that can be used is called the "coverage" (measured in degrees/angular coverage or in mm of image circle). If a 50mm lens will only cover APS-C, then it it has a maximum field of view equivalent to a 75mm lens on FF. If a 50mm lens will cover a 6x7cm negative, then it has a maximum field of view equivalent to a 25mm lens on FF.

From within that image circle, you can take as large or small a crop as you want. If you take more than the image circle, you will get vignettes. If you take too small a crop (Pentax Q, Nikon 1, I am looking at you), you will run out of resolution as well as potentially suffer from flare from all that extra coverage getting reflected around the inside of your camera.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Musket posted:

28-80 on FX is still 28-80 on DX. Field of View changes.

I guess I phrased my question incorrectly. I have an 18-55 kit lens on my DX camera. The 24-85 lens on a FX camera is going to give me a wider angle shot correct? And on the other end, when zoomed all the way in I will get roughly the exact same field of view?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Legdiian posted:

I guess I phrased my question incorrectly. I have an 18-55 kit lens on my DX camera. The 24-85 lens on a FX camera is going to give me a wider angle shot correct? And on the other end, when zoomed all the way in I will get roughly the exact same field of view?

24mm on FX is a wider angle of view than 18mm is on DX.
85mm on FX is a narrower angle of view than 55mm is on DX.
So the 24-85 on FX covers a bigger range of view angles than 18-55 does on DX.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

Legdiian posted:

Yes. On FX the 24-85 would have the equivalent FOV that a 16-56.6 would have on DX.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Legdiian posted:

The 24-85 will give you a slightly wider range than the 18-55 on DX. DX has a 1.5x crop factor, so 1.5 x 18mm = 29mm equivalent field of view on the wide end. The 85mm end will be slightly longer than your 18-55 on DX since 1.5 x 55mm = 82.5mm equivalent field of view.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Listen guys, you're over thinking it.

The field of view is simple "2*arctan(sensor dimension / (2 * focal length)). " where sensor dimension is just a length of the sensor, so say for 35mm film you could use d = 36mm.

So lets look at this, an 18mm lens that can cover FX. We have

2 * arctan ( 36mm / (2*18)) = 90 degrees (how about that!)

But what if we have an aps-c sized sensor.

2 * arctan (25mm / (2*18)) = 53.13010235415597870314438744090658934240842859929044 degrees

So the image that you get only covers a little more than half the field of view. But what if we have a 24mm lens on the FF camera.

2 * arctan ( 36mm / (2*24)) = 73.73979529168804259371122511818682131518314280141911 degrees.

So no, an 18mm lens on DX isn't quite teh same as a 24mm lens on FF.

Basically, what musket said is right, it's FoV that's an changes based on sensor size, not focal length (which is a property purely based on the lens itself).

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
You didnt cover 4x5 or 8x10 sized sensors. Not impressed :colbert:

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

Listen guys, you're over thinking it

Legdiian posted:

that lens on the D600 would be the equivalent of 16-56 lens on a D5100

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Look bub when you inevitably get tired of your puny "full frame" sensors and move up with the big boys you're going to need to understand the relationship between coverage, focal length, and field of view :colbert:

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
I kinda, sorta want Nikon to release non-junk mirrorless bodies that take regular F-mount, akin to the X-series from Fuji. It would be doubly awesome if they could get a 20MP+ FX sensor in such a body, and I doubt it would harm their DSLR business.

Oh, and I finally bought a 24-70 f/2.8 for myself. It's a great lens, but holy gently caress, it's the size of a thermos.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

krooj posted:

I kinda, sorta want Nikon to release non-junk mirrorless bodies that take regular F-mount, akin to the X-series from Fuji. It would be doubly awesome if they could get a 20MP+ FX sensor in such a body, and I doubt it would harm their DSLR business.

Sony's going to get to it first if they don't. Sony just released what's basically a full-frame X100, and supposedly there is going to be a mirrorless version coming out in a year or two. You wouldn't get auto-stopdown and stuff, but that's par for the course on the NEX.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

:ironicat:

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Look bub when you inevitably get tired of your puny "full frame" sensors and move up with the big boys you're going to need to understand the relationship between coverage, focal length, and field of view :colbert:

I just type the film dimensions + 'diagonal' into wolfram-alpha and divide by 42 to get a crop factor.

krooj posted:

I kinda, sorta want Nikon to release non-junk mirrorless bodies that take regular F-mount

You mean a Pentax K-01?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Legitimate Pape posted:

Of course. Two weeks after I purchase mine.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Beastruction posted:

You mean a Pentax K-01?

Kinda, but with less ugly.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Beastruction posted:

I just type the film dimensions + 'diagonal' into wolfram-alpha and divide by 42 to get a crop factor.

You mean a Pentax K-01?

It's okay, we understand. You don't have things like "movements" or "bellows" on your puny tiny-format cameras. :smugdog:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

krooj posted:

Oh, and I finally bought a 24-70 f/2.8 for myself. It's a great lens, but holy gently caress, it's the size of a thermos.

No, let Nikon keep making lovely bridge cameras to fund FX consumer lines. If you want a fullframe compact from nikon in Fmount, get an FE and 40mm pancake or an Nikon S rangefinder. But only if that rangefinder is stamped Made in Occupied Japan, anything less is scrubtier.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Nikon rangefinders aren't in F-mount :colbert:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

It's okay, we understand. You don't have things like "movements" or "bellows" on your puny tiny-format cameras. :smugdog:

The gently caress i dont, i can install a MF/LF bellows and movement system and use MF/LF lenses on my D600. Its ridiculously expensive and a waste of MF/LF glass. :snoop:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nikon rangefinders aren't in F-mount :colbert:

True but they are compact and FX and cheaper than going with an M6, 35mm 1.4 Summilulz

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So, that Nikon deal dropped today and Amazon, after some tense negotiations, is sending me the lens free of charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I suppose I won't be able to wrangle that lens from B&H since I bought the camera right when it was released :sigh: