Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Do any cameras handle it in-body? I wish it was an option but not sure if it's just using too much processing to be practically viable. I was certain Olympus or Pentax would've pulled it off but it doesn't appear to be the case. (edit: looks like the K-1 Mark II might do something like this?)

The high-end Olympus models have had in-camera tripod High-Res Mode for a while, and hand-held High-Res mode more recently. Tripod captures multiple images and combines them in-body to create an 80mp image from the 20mp sensor, hand-held mode creates a 50mp image.

To quote from DPReview in 2020: "In this mode, your camera shifts the sensor eight times, in increments of one micron, capturing one exposure per adjustment. These images are then combined automatically to create a single 80MP photograph in either JPEG and / or Raw file format."

p0stal b0b fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

p0stal b0b posted:

The high-end Olympus models have had in-camera tripod High-Res Mode for a while, and hand-held High-Res mode more recently. Tripod captures multiple images and combines them in-body to create an 80mp image from the 20mp sensor, hand-held mode creates a 50mp image.

To quote from DPReview in 2020: "In this mode, your camera shifts the sensor eight times, in increments of one micron, capturing one exposure per adjustment. These images are then combined automatically to create a single 80MP photograph in either JPEG and / or Raw file format."

In that case I can’t see the Z8 being unable to do it in camera considering the available processing power. Maybe we will see it in the future? That and pre release RAW would be nice.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Pentax can even leverage their shift for star tracking, kind of odd they aren’t in-camera. :/

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Best Buy has the Z9 battery on clearance lower than it is new at camera stores.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6486714.p?skuId=6486714

It also works in the D4/5/6 pro bodies, but apparently only charges with the exact charger than comes with the Z9. Unless there is a third party option out there.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Jfc Nikon, release the z6iii already!

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Anyone else read Thom Hogan’s opinion that Nikon is possibly exiting the DX business?

https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/will-the-triplets-get-a.html

A Z500 would be unique and sell well, I assume, but I could see Nikon leaving the market if it can’t spread an updated sensor across 2-3 DX bodies that all sell OK. So if the DX line is dead, a Z5 refresh would also make sense when the Z6iii is announced.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

A Z500 would be appreciated but at this point quite a few birders are shooting Z8 or Z9 so I think they would need to crank up the pixel count to at least 30-35MP for it to make good sense. A Z500 likely wouldn’t be cheap so if it’s competing with used Z8s it has to do better than a Z8 DX crop. Maybe 35MP or so, raw precapture at 25-30 fps.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I gotta imagine the z8/9 tracking on a cut down z500 sensor would be insanely fast. And with Nikon going hard on the expensive wildlife lenses I'd have thought it would sell well :shrug:

But yeah, maybe making a sensor just for one camera isn't worth it and the z7xxx model market isn't there anymore to supliment it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

Jfc Nikon, release the z6iii already!

While the refurb Z8s are tempting at 20% off ($3200 USD), I remind myself that a Z6 III will come in well under that.

Brrrmph posted:

Anyone else read Thom Hogan’s opinion that Nikon is possibly exiting the DX business?

https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/will-the-triplets-get-a.html

A Z500 would be unique and sell well, I assume, but I could see Nikon leaving the market if it can’t spread an updated sensor across 2-3 DX bodies that all sell OK. So if the DX line is dead, a Z5 refresh would also make sense when the Z6iii is announced.

Instead of the bold prediction of Nikon DX dying, I can easily see DX continuing to muddle along in its current state filling in the under-$1000 price points for Nikon.

There's easily room for a Z70 with IBIS and the 26MP BSI Sony sensor that's in the A6700 in the Nikon Z lineup to compete against the Fuji XS-20 and Sony A6700. That could be a nice camera whenever the serious Sigma and Tamron APS-C zooms are ported over to Z-mount to join the Viltrox and Sigma APS-C primes already produced for Z-mount.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I hope Nikon ends Dx and instead works on more affordable Fx glass for cheaper Zf’s. etc

Every retail store I see a glut of Zfc’s, and ‘sold out awaiting stock’ on the Zf. And the Zfc was not a slouch in terms of sales before introduction.

Nikon constantly half asses support of crop sensors, so either commit to it or kill it.

I suspect there simply isn’t margin in crop interchangeable cameras once you take Fuji’s cut out of the market.

Additionally, previous earnings reports have quoted Nikon saying they’re moving more into professional imaging and away from lower end stuff, because there’s not enough of a market anymore.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
DX is a technological dead end, especially since we have high resolution full frame sensors now where you can just do DX/APS-C crops.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I wouldn't blame Nikon for bailing on crop format but man I wish they'd made a Z70 with IBIS before they did.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Use DX to do insane experimental stuff and port the things that work up to FX. What that would be I dunno. M2 slots in bodies? Modular bodies allowing swappable EVFs, button pad layouts, even entire sensors built for different things like infrared or UV? Custom body cover parts so you can be that one guy with an RGB slathered body ruining everyone else's astronomy shots?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Stupid question. When you use a Nikon FX mirrorless in crop mode, do you get the bonus zoom on the lens? Like does a 200 mm become a 300 mm with crop factor like it’s a DX camera?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Brrrmph posted:

Stupid question. When you use a Nikon FX mirrorless in crop mode, do you get the bonus zoom on the lens? Like does a 200 mm become a 300 mm with crop factor like it’s a DX camera?

IIRC yes, but your megapixel count obviously is reduced.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah. I tested the 16-50 DX on my Z7II and it was a very lightweight 24-75 (with crop factor), but at that point I might as well use the Z30 anyway...

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

NASA picks the Z9 to go to the Moon in 2026

https://petapixel.com/2024/02/29/the-nikon-z9-is-the-camera-of-choice-for-humanitys-return-to-the-moon/

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

But what will the shutter release sound be set to? Regardless of it being in a vacuum this is an important detail for historical records.

It better be a meow.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
On one hand cool I guess and I'm sure the camera internals are adequate for the job, but ehhh relying on the serial port in the antique 10-pin connector for an external set of controls? The casing appears to have a window for the on-device LCD.

So having a single camera type that can serve through the mission both in the shirtsleeves environment of the cabin and on EVAs both in flight and on the lunar surface I guess is really smart in terms of weight saving, but the operating controls for the thing when dressed up to go outside will be radically different from the normal naked form, it may as well be two different cameras.

If it wasn't for the weight savings of eliminating a redundant set of cameras, Nikon should have built a dedicated Z8 EVA edition with all redundant features deleted (GPS, mics, connectors, doors, viewfinder etc), and a bigger brighter screen taking up the entire back, and the pressure-glove controls from that external gadget baked into the thermally shielded body.

Looks like a lot of smart people are involved though so they've probably thought of everything. But it would be kind of fun if they forgot to factor in the weaker lunar gravity so the accelerometer based orientation sensor didn't tag portrait vs landscape mode shots correctly.

Fabulousity posted:

But what will the shutter release sound be set to? Regardless of it being in a vacuum this is an important detail for historical records.
It better be a meow.

They should at least make the critter tracking mode specific to Clangers. And the aircraft tracking icon should be a little Apollo LM.

frumpykvetchbot fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 3, 2024

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

When it comes to space dealing with known quantities and qualities is the best hence why the serial ports and what not. It's sort of surprising they didn't opt to send a pallet of hardened D70s up there versus a few modified Z9s.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/11/space-grade-cpus-how-do-you-send-more-computing-power-into-space/

Should be fun to see what the Nikon engineers come up with that'll probably show up in a Zx.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Seems like they have a decent plan for how to modify the Z9's for lunar use? Most of the same things they would have to do to any camera they chose for this type of use. The Z9 might actually be very suitable considering it has no mechanical shutter :downsrim:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
They should have just brought some film hasselblads again

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
:sickos:

quote:

TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) hereby announces its entry into an agreement to acquire 100% of the outstanding membership interests of RED.com, LLC (RED) whereby RED will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nikon, pursuant to a Membership Interest Purchase Agreement with Mr. James Jannard, its founder, and Mr. Jarred Land, its current President, subject to the satisfaction of certain closing conditions thereunder.

https://www.nikon.com/company/news/2024/0307_01.html

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Lol WHAT

How did RED suing Nikon end up Nikon buying RED?

That's a pretty crazy feather to add to your cap.

REDs use cannon mount at the moment don't they? That will change.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 7, 2024

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

REDs use cannon mount at the moment don't they? That will change.

The flange distances are 20mm RF vs 16mm Nikon Z. Maybe they'll introduce a lens adapter with screw focus. :bignews:

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
I guess this means we get to keep the NRAW stuff safe from litigation.

Also better third party software support - maybe. Already pretty good in DVR.

But will Nikon's RED remain a patent troll suing everybody else for in-body raw video recording? I bet that part of the IP valuation was substantial.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

No idea how true it was but I've read a few times that Canon using the patent was the agreement that RED could use the mount.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Excited for that eventual Nikon cinema camera

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

toggle posted:

Excited for that eventual Nikon cinema camera

Native Z cine lenses would be nice. Also I'd like to see a Z video lens with power zoom and a detachable servo grip for that. Maybe a variant of the 24-200.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Z9 firmware 5.0 now available: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/516.html

Pretty long list of tweaks but I don't think they added anything big?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I was hoping for pixel shift but I think they may have perfected that after the Z9 was made, by the looks of things.

Ah well

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
A recent chat with RED President Jarred Land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoG0U-DoKs4&t=1950s

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've always felt like Tamron and Sigma were solid 3rd party lenses for Nikon DX. As I'm looking at new lenses for Nikon Z full frame, I only see 3 Tamron and 0 Sigma which is a bummer. Curious what other third party lenses yall would put on the same level as Sigma and Tamron?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

huhu posted:

I've always felt like Tamron and Sigma were solid 3rd party lenses for Nikon DX. As I'm looking at new lenses for Nikon Z full frame, I only see 3 Tamron and 0 Sigma which is a bummer. Curious what other third party lenses yall would put on the same level as Sigma and Tamron?

I’ve got a Viltrox that I am very impressed with. When I went back to Nikon after some years I’d never heard of them but they’re very good and incredible value.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Sigma are very strongly hinting some FF Z glass is coming this year from them.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

huhu posted:

FWIW Nikon licensed the mirrorless FF Tamron f/2.8 G1 zoom trinity (17-28 f/2.8; 28-75 f/2.8 G1; 70-180 f/2.8 G1) for production as Nikon lenses.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

FWIW Nikon licensed the mirrorless FF Tamron f/2.8 G1 zoom trinity (17-28 f/2.8; 28-75 f/2.8 G1; 70-180 f/2.8 G1) for production as Nikon lenses.

Aye, Tamron and Sigma are probably more accurately described as '2nd-party' manufacturers at this point. Both are Japanese optics houses from the 1950s and have increasing levels of integration with other major manufacturers.

I've got an old Sony-branded 'TV Zoom' lens for 16mm that was made by Tamron. Their experience designing optics for systems with very short back-focus/flange distance (e.g. 17mm C-mount) is an area of expertise that would be applicable to modern mirrorless mounts.

Edit: There's always Voigtlander but they aren't really competitive on price vs Tamron & Sigma.

Father O'Blivion fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 25, 2024

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Just saw this video pop up today on my YT feed, looks like we're getting a ton of lenses this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31zuwMpkuw

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Why are they all Australian? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Fabulousity posted:

Why are they all Australian? Why?

Don’t worry the lenses will work in other countries too.