Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Musket posted:

No, let Nikon keep making lovely bridge cameras to fund FX consumer lines. If you want a fullframe compact from nikon in Fmount, get an FE and 40mm pancake or an Nikon S rangefinder. But only if that rangefinder is stamped Made in Occupied Japan, anything less is scrubtier.

Just for the record I have an FE for sale if someone wants to listen to Musket. Just go check out the buy/sell thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Musket posted:

No, let Nikon keep making lovely bridge cameras to fund FX consumer lines. If you want a fullframe compact from nikon in Fmount, get an FE and 40mm pancake or an Nikon S rangefinder. But only if that rangefinder is stamped Made in Occupied Japan, anything less is scrubtier.

None of these will work with my shiny new 24-70 :colbert:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Thats what you get for using a G lens brah. Very little compatibility. 28-70 AF-S :snoop:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

You should only be putting AI primes on your film bodies anyway.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I only either use k-mount lenses or G lenses on my film bodies

:ohdear:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
That sweet f/22.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Musket posted:

That sweet f/22.

N75 supremacy (even VR works)

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

N75 supremacy (even VR works)

Thats right, totally forgot about that.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Musket posted:

True but they are compact and FX and cheaper than going with an M6, 35mm 1.4 Summilulz
You'd be surprised, Nikon RF stuff is pretty drat expensive. They're very hard to find (especially in usable condition) and not as many repair technicians work on them.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

FasterThanLight posted:

You'd be surprised, Nikon RF stuff is pretty drat expensive. They're very hard to find (especially in usable condition) and not as many repair technicians work on them.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Nikon-S-35mm-Rangefinder-Film-Camera-Body-Only-/83185393

Cheap compared to a $5000 lens.

Here is one with 50mm 1.4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-S-Nik...=item35c22bcd9e

You are right about how hard they are to get fixed.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Musket posted:

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Nikon-S-35mm-Rangefinder-Film-Camera-Body-Only-/83185393

Cheap compared to a $5000 lens.

Here is one with 50mm 1.4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-S-Nik...=item35c22bcd9e

You are right about how hard they are to get fixed.
Eh, comparing a Leica M6 to a Nikon S is like comparing an F3 to a Nikkormat with a broken meter. Look at Nikon SPs if you want something similar feature-wise (and even that isn't a great comparison).

I guess what I'm saying is that Leica and Nikon RFs are almost identical price-wise for comparable models.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Legitimate Pape posted:

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/13/for-tonight-200-price-drop-on-the-d800-free-24-85mm-lens-with-the-purchase-of-the-d600.aspx/#more-50272

Nikon Rumors is reporting a free kit 24-85 kit lens with the purchase of a D600 body. I wonder if this is temporary or a permanent price drop?

Just a heads up for anyone thinking about this deal, apparently it is only valid for 2 days (December 14th and 15th?)

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Could I get a quick opinion on wether or not to get the service plan on a d600 and 24-85 at Best buy? I think it's like $219.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Legdiian posted:

Just a heads up for anyone thinking about this deal, apparently it is only valid for 2 days (December 14th and 15th?)

According to the email I got directly from Nikon, it's until the 29th.

quote:

Offer valid December 14, 2012 at 12:00 A.M. ET until December 29, 2012 at 11:59 P.M.

edit: But yeah, Amazon straight up says only available until the 15th. I think the Nikon Store is the only place to get it through the 29th.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 15, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Legdiian posted:

Could I get a quick opinion on wether or not to get the service plan on a d600 and 24-85 at Best buy? I think it's like $219.

No.

If you're relying on Best Buy for good customer service then... I don't even know.

Also your camera won't need 'servicing' unless it breaks (which is a warranty repair) other than maybe a sensor cleaning, which you can either do yourself or have someone else do for a drat sight less than $219.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Also, don't buy Cameras at Best Buy. Support your local speciality stores.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mightaswell posted:

This is especially true now that Nikon pretty much enforces MSRPs.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Mightaswell posted:

I have only gone to my local store once. I went in looking for a lens pen and the woman was trying to sell me a UV filter to protect my lens (kit lens). When I told her I wasn't interested, she pulled the "What do I know, I just work here" routine. On the other hand, my local Best Buy camera department knows me on a first name basis. YMMV and I'm sure my particular case is the exception to the rule.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah that sounds terrible.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
If your worried about your gear breaking, get loving insurance :colbert: not some stupid geeksquad plan.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Musket posted:

If your worried about your gear breaking, get loving insurance :colbert: not some stupid geeksquad plan.

Any suggestions? What would I expect to pay for coverage that would cover accidental damage? Like dropping it on the pavement.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Legdiian posted:

Any suggestions? What would I expect to pay for coverage that would cover accidental damage? Like dropping it on the pavement.

Squaretrade comes to mind, never did much research into it though.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Pulled the trigger on a D600 and 50mm 1.4; upgrading from a D40. Going to sell the kit lens once the inevitable tidal wave of them clear off eBay. Here's to hoping bonus season works out well :v:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Legdiian posted:

Do you have renters insurance? Call your agent or you can look for an in-land marine policy if you make a most of your income off photos.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

geetee posted:

Pulled the trigger on a D600 and 50mm 1.4; upgrading from a D40.
I shoot a 50/1.8 almost exclusively on my D800. It owns.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

geetee posted:

Pulled the trigger on a D600 and 50mm 1.4; upgrading from a D40.
That's a very good step up. My D7000 body should arrive Monday afternoon. My D90 has a Gorilla Glass LCD cover and I want one for the D7000, any particular type to go for, stick on or clip on?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I just used the Nikon cover. I put some standard tape on the edges though, so particles/sand don't sneak in.

Philemon
Apr 8, 2012
Hey everyone.

My girlfriend owns a D5100 with the basic kit lens (18-55mm). I would like to get her a new lens. My price range is up to $400. I would also be interested in something that can still be used on higher up bodies for Nikon as I suspect she'll eventually graduate to one of those.

Most of her photography is long-distance stuff when she is hiking and such. She also likes to do photos of stuff very close (insects being her primary interest in these cases). I once saw an 18-300 lens but she mentioned a lens that went lower than 18mm and up to 300 existed but I have never found this. Would it be better to get two lenses?

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Please don't buy a superzoom lens (such as 18-200 or 18-300), it is as they say: "Jack of all trades but master of none."

At that price range you should probably look at something like a 70-300mm with variable aperture (typically f/4-5.6 or similar). They can be had for $150-$600 depending on brand and whether they have VR (vibration reduction). I think Sigma's 70-300/4-5.6 OS looks like the best deal, feature-wise at least.

For close-up stuff you should instead go for a macro-type lens, however I'm not sure you'll find any decent in your price range.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'd recommend this 35mm lens:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-1-8G-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355687619&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+35

It's a great lens - no zoom, but a useful field of view and great low light performance. It's a DX lens, so it won't cover the full sensor with full-frame cameras, but those are probably fairly far in the future for your girlfriend is this will be her first non-kit lens.

For more portrait-type work, this kind of lens would be better:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-NI...ords=nikon+50mm

It's a narrower field of view, but some people like it a lot.

Wider lenses, like you might want for landscapes, tend to be a little out of your price range.

EDIT: Maybe I got your meaning wrong when you said long distance stuff. If she likes shooting animals and such, then something like this 70-300:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Autofocus-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-NA07999088447J?r=FE

would be perfect. I use this exact lens to shoot birds and wildlife from my kayak, and it's a good compromise between reach, quality, and weight.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 16, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Philemon posted:

Hey everyone.

My girlfriend owns a D5100 with the basic kit lens (18-55mm). I would like to get her a new lens. My price range is up to $400. I would also be interested in something that can still be used on higher up bodies for Nikon as I suspect she'll eventually graduate to one of those.

Most of her photography is long-distance stuff when she is hiking and such. She also likes to do photos of stuff very close (insects being her primary interest in these cases). I once saw an 18-300 lens but she mentioned a lens that went lower than 18mm and up to 300 existed but I have never found this. Would it be better to get two lenses?

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

If you want to do a macro (close up) lens that'd also be semi-decent for portraits, have a look at the Tamron 90mm f/2.8. It'd also cover at least a bit of 'long-distance' stuff (since while not hugely long, it's still a drat sight longer than an 18-55).

But yes do not get superzoom lenses (ie 18-200, 24-300, smallnumber-absurdnumber) because while some are less terrible than others they're all pretty halfassed optically (and generally pretty slow too).

...and to the best of my knowledge there does not exist a lens for Nikon mount that is both wider than 18mm and longer than 300mm.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 16, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd get a 90mm macro lens too. The Tamron SM mentions is cheap and great.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

SoundMonkey posted:

If you want to do a macro (close up) lens that'd also be semi-decent for portraits, have a look at the Tamron 90mm f/2.8. It'd also cover at least a bit of 'long-distance' stuff (since while not hugely long, it's still a drat sight longer than an 18-55).

But yes do not get superzoom lenses (ie 18-200, 24-300, smallnumber-absurdnumber) because while some are less terrible than others they're all pretty halfassed optically (and generally pretty slow too).

...and to the best of my knowledge there does not exist a lens for Nikon mount that is both wider than 18mm and longer than 300mm.

Eh I dunno I'd probably take an 28-300 if it was like $200. The problem is that their superzooms are all ridiculously expensive and for the same price you can get a good lens.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

1st AD posted:

Eh I dunno I'd probably take an 28-300 if it was like $200. The problem is that their superzooms are all ridiculously expensive and for the same price you can get a good lens.

Or, more to the point, a couple good lenses, that will probably cover the same or better range that the superzoom did.

I'd also like to take a moment here to bring up a very shameful and instructive chapter in Nikon's history. I'm sure you all know of the Ken Rockwell Approved 18-200 f/3.5-cocks VR. I believe they are on version two of it right now, which included such upgrades as "is no longer a laughingstock", but K-Rock was also very happy with the first version, which Nikon was pushing the hell out of.

The first version of the 18-200 had barrel distortion so bad that, at the time, it was the first time that DPReview had ever run an optical test multiple times, just because they couldn't fathom that a respected lens manufacturer would even let that poo poo out the door being so shameful, much less try to sell it for like six hundred united states dollars.

evil_bunnY posted:

I'd get a 90mm macro lens too. The Tamron SM mentions is cheap and great.

This is based on "absolutely no research" but if these are more than $250 used I'd be surprised. Just do make sure it has an internal motor, because D5100 (those don't have the screw, do they?).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

I'd recommend this 35mm lens:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-1-8G-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355687619&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+35

It's a great lens - no zoom, but a useful field of view and great low light performance. It's a DX lens, so it won't cover the full sensor with full-frame cameras, but those are probably fairly far in the future for your girlfriend is this will be her first non-kit lens.

For more portrait-type work, this kind of lens would be better:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-NI...ords=nikon+50mm

It's a narrower field of view, but some people like it a lot.

Wider lenses, like you might want for landscapes, tend to be a little out of your price range.

EDIT: Maybe I got your meaning wrong when you said long distance stuff. If she likes shooting animals and such, then something like this 70-300:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Autofocus-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-NA07999088447J?r=FE

would be perfect. I use this exact lens to shoot birds and wildlife from my kayak, and it's a good compromise between reach, quality, and weight.

I'd recommend the Tamron 70-300 VC over that nikon. Similar price point but all the reviews I've seen say that the Tamron preforms better. I love my 70-300 VC. http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300...amron+70-300+vc

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

I'd recommend the Tamron 70-300 VC over that nikon. Similar price point but all the reviews I've seen say that the Tamron preforms better. I love my 70-300 VC. http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300...amron+70-300+vc

I was nothing but unhappy with the Nikon 70-300 VR I had (soft as poo poo) despite the features all working as advertised (reasonably fast focus, VR worked, etc).

I was unhappy with it and I got it for literally $100.

Think on that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

This is based on "absolutely no research" but if these are more than $250 used I'd be surprised. Just do make sure it has an internal motor, because D5100 (those don't have the screw, do they?).
They don't, but I'm pretty sure even the older 90/2.8 has a motor.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

They don't, but I'm pretty sure even the older 90/2.8 has a motor.

Yeah to clarify there are two versions I think, a 90mm 2.8 and a 2.5 (maybe?), but basically anything that says "Tamron 90mm Macro" is what you want. Do check about the motor thing though, although I seem to recall the one I used in the store did have the motor.

Also goddamn it I'd just managed to forget about this lens that I want that I can't afford which I'm now telling you to get.

EDIT: I'd just like to point out that I started my post "To clarify...", then didn't clarify anything. That is all.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 16, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The 60/2 is also p nice on DX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

The 60/2 is also p nice on DX.

It is, I'm just a little less likely to recommend it if the subject is insects, and also it's somewhat more expensive I think.

Also am I crazy, or is the Tamron 1:1, whereas the 60mm tops out at 1:2?

More fun Nikon history: The reason it's "Micro-Nikkor" is because when Nikon released their first 'macro' lens, it wasn't actually a macro lens by the exact definition (it could do 1:2, but needed extension tubes to get to 1:1), and since Nikon was heavily into the microscope/looking-at-small-poo poo business, they decided they'd rather not get called out, and since then every macro lens from them has been 'Micro'.