Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
D800 is an amazing camera, you get used to 100MB files, you just keep less.

Once you get used to the resolution, the best thing is just being able to crop any part of the shot and it still has enough detail to look great. You forget that 20% of the frame is still 7.2MP

After that the low light capabilities at reasonable iso of <6400 look great. Although it does try to dig too much detail from the blacks which can leave some awkward artefacts but they are easily fixed.

Focus is fast enough, but could be faster, I have had no problem with sports and bird shooting.

I would recommend it to anyone (who can afford it and already have loads of FX lens)

However I have just been using the 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.4 which are very cheap for great results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Been using a D800 for sports and between that and a D4 the compromise comes really on the fps, the D800 is slow, even with the grip in raw. I find anything up to ISO 6400 completely usable even for print.

Compared to the D300s at the same ISO the D800 is way way ahead, but the D300s with the grip does all the fps I need. You just got to take that compromise.

I was at a camera club meeting a couple of days ago and the royal navy was in showing off there D800e and D4 modded up with a 400mm f/2.8, they use them for covert operations, helicopter to ground shots, desert ops etc.

They could have anything and they chose Nikon over Canon due to the low light, high ISO, and the VR performance, vibration in the helicopters is madness and it copes with it well.

So the answer is you need both if you really need that fps for what ever purpose requires it (night surveillance in a helicopter)

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

krooj posted:

It's mind-boggling that they use stock equipment like that. I'd always guessed that anything used for reconnaissance would be totally custom. I mean, there are companies that are wholly dedicated to stuff like that, such as ELCAN - formerly Leica Canada - and Teledyne Dalsa.

Main complaint was that the tripod screw mount in the bottom is not strong enough, when they were lanyard mounted to the helicopters, sometimes heaving G manoeuvres, with all that mass unsupported (free swinging) could rip the thread out. Clearly not designed for that. They had lost 4 units complete with 400m lens already that way.

On the ground desert Ops the lens and cameras were bomb proof to the dust storms and sand apart from the main lens glass which is protected with filters but they only last 5 minutes.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

powderific posted:

It's one of my favorite lenses on the D800. Manual focus on any of the screw drive lenses is sucky, but for everything else it's pretty swell. Especially since you can get them for sortof cheap used.

I use it all the time, mostly for landscapes, f/2 is pretty poor, but f/8 and above is really good.

London Bridge Hospital by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

dirt cheap tough, cant go wrong!