Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

ShadeofBlue posted:

Is this a bug? I thought it was a "feature" to differentiate the D600 from the D800.

Well seeing how it's there in the D7000 I'm pretty sure they would have fixed it by now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Nikon D7100 this March, $1200, no AA filter, 24MP, stereo mic.

I want one :allears:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

krooj posted:

Cool - so street pricing ought to be around $1000 ~ $1100 for the body. This has to put even more pressure on Canon to get the 7DmkII out, especially when you consider that Nikon has had them whipped for the past year or so (D800/E, D600, D71k). How are Canon's entry level SLRs compared to Nikon's?

I still want Nikon to get serious about MILCs, but maybe they're convinced it will gently caress their DSLRs?

If it's anything like the D7000 launch there will be no such thing as "street pricing" :v: I had to drive 2 hours to pick mine up.

1st AD posted:

D600 has the same limitation. Fortunately I only use my manual focus/aperture glass when shooting video, but yeah it's pretty annoying.

What annoys me about it is that you can't even change it when you're not recording -- you have to turn LV off to change it, even in M.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Martytoof posted:

So basically Nikon said "Hey you know how Pentax makes those awesome colourful cameras??"

And then they said "Hey you know how Apple makes those commercials??"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvCjI5ZTNJ0

I like how 5 seconds in when he raises the camera, the image on the LCD just stays the same.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Platystemon posted:

There would be no more detail in these objects in the 14 mm shot than in the 400 mm shot, but so what? They’re small enough in the frame at 14 mm that it wouldn’t matter if I stopped down more because no one could tell the difference. They most certainly could tell the difference in the 400 mm shot.

But isn't there technically less detail in smaller version? It seems "detail" should be defined as "information" divided by "size". The larger version has the same amount of "information", but since it is larger it appears less detailed.

I probably didn't explain it well, but I think that's the concept they're getting at. There's the real DOF and then the "apparent" DOF.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Miko posted:

My local camera store dude went into a tirade about third-party battery grips, saying they'd explode if the batteries weren't seated right and he's heard of a guy who's melted his grip and burned his hand. JUST GO WITH NIKON, YO.

My third-party grip for my D7000 (Bower) was a piece of poo poo, but only due to the fact that the joystick only moves the cursor in one direction now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Check the built in Noise Reduction settings. Could be that they are applying to auto pictures but not manual.