Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
One thing I'd like to see added to the OP is the FM2n awesome speeds: 1/4000 for shooting and 1/250 for flash sync (way better than Pentax ME Super :cheeky:).

I don't know where you live, but in sunny Italy times under 1/1000 are pretty much de rigueur when opening f2.8 or more. Also, 1/250 for flash sync is very handy with moving subjects (kids, animals..).

Finally, one thing I'm finding useful on the FM serie (I have an FM and an FM2n) is the multiple exposure feature. On the FM2 it can even be activated with one hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

8th-samurai posted:

I can see fast shutter speeds being relevant for some people but flash sync speeds really don't matter with 35mm. I mean who is going through all the trouble to overpowering the sun with flash and make the shot with a 35mm? Inside 1/60th is just as good as 1/250th.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, I sure like to be able to select 1/250 when I shoot pics of moving people in the evening (e.g. my kids playing).

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

8th-samurai posted:

Right but the flash duration is what freezes motion. So 1/125th or 1/60th will work just as well unless you doing some crazy bouncing. I used to get sharp photos of moving people at weddings just fine down to 1/30th and lower. Fast sync speeds are pretty much exclusively so that you can drown out all the ambient light because when you use strobes that is all your shutter speed determines.

Now I see you're experienced in this so I am going to ask you something in the flash thread as it's not just Nikon related.. Can you please answer me there? (TIA of course!)

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Remo posted:

A high sync speed is nice to have when you want to have some fill light when shooting a subject against the setting sun. The higher the sync, the more you can open up your aperture

Rondo of the Sun and Moon by CorneliusK, on Flickr

35mm, f1.4, 1/1000s, sb-900 on a sync cord for HSS

I've added you on flickr just because of that awesome image.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Musket posted:

FE2 > FA/FM2 for a ton of reasons mostly though the meter needle is better and more exact. Gods true Fmount MF camera is the F3HP, check one out at your local shop. Generally found inexpensive. Another idea would be to get an F100 and just MF on your own.

The F100 is so much more modern than the FM/FE line. To name one, if you want to use flash, it's got a few more possibilities like rear curtain. Or the fact that you can use matrix metering where applicable. It's bigger than FE/FA/FMs, though, if that's of concern.

A nice compromise is the FM3A, which by the way retains the battery-less operating features of the FMx. Bonus feature of the FM3A is the film checking window so you always know what kind of film you've loaded (or if you just suspect the film has NOT been loaded :DDD).

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

evil_bunnY posted:

But the Df sucks?

Does it?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
With time I've found that everything is super easier if you go shoot with an image already in mind instead of throwing ideas at it while pp-ing.
I get there with the lens I need (sharpness, focal length, aperture..), when the light is right. Scouting the location helps, whenever possible.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Just processed a few pics taken with my "new" 28-50 f3.5

Man that lens is great. Took a while to find one, but the contrast and sharpness are truly something for a zoom.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
(Talking about Nikon 28-105 f3.5-4.5)

GrAviTy84 posted:

Nice, I didn't think of this one, I'll take a look. :krock: stamp of approval and all lol

Seconding this, it's my fallback lens for almost anything.
If you close it a bit it's quite sharp, at any focal length, and it covers a decent range of them. It's small, light, and it can also do some macro stuff (enough to fill the frame with a single daisy, just to give you an idea of what it can do). Even wide open the center is pretty sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Hdip posted:

I asked about sony vs fuji in the mirrorless thread but I should probably ask here to do my due diligence. Can anyone give me a good reason for a DSLR instead of mirrorless?

To me SLRs are first and foremost the ability to see exactly what I'm going to shoot and the speed at which the camera boots up.