Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

Doggles posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my zoom lens. Currently I have the 55-300mm DX lens and I'd like to move up to the 70-200mm 2.8 lens.

I've gotten to use the Nikon version of the lens and it's fantastic, but is there any reason not to go with the Tamron or Sigma versions considering they're less than half the price?

The older 80-200 f2.8 (two-ring version) is no slouch, either. Unless you absolutely need the VR you could save some money picking one of those up. I used one for years before I got my D800 and decided to go exclusively primes. Easily one of my favorite lenses I've ever used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

1st AD posted:

They also kill your hard drive, goddamn.

Christ, ain't that the truth. I do professional film/video work as well so I'm used to ridiculous file sizes, but the fact that a still camera can produce such large files astounds me.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah, I'm not really understanding why it's such a big thing either. For someone not familiar with cameras, the manual may be too "techie" for them to fully understand. A secondary "For Dummies" or whatever reference would probably put that stuff in easier to understand language. If someone needs it, they need it. Big deal.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

A 16mm lens on a DX camera would look the same through the eyepiece as a 24mm lens on FX.

A 16mm lens on FX would look wider than on DX, and a 24mm lens on DX would look narrower than on FX.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Legdiian posted:

I guess I phrased my question incorrectly. I have an 18-55 kit lens on my DX camera. The 24-85 lens on a FX camera is going to give me a wider angle shot correct? And on the other end, when zoomed all the way in I will get roughly the exact same field of view?

Yes. On FX the 24-85 would have the equivalent FOV that a 16-56.6 would have on DX.