Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Jimmy Thief posted:

Nikon Rumors is down. :f5:

It's here too. Top controls look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

whatever7 posted:

It can't take a split screen. It's a major design flaw. I now think this body is a vanity project.

No removable focusing screen but a flip-up AI tab, that we haven't seen since what the F4? :psyduck:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Yeah go direct. Though I'm sure the shop would be more than happy to provide the work order, eh? :lol:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'd take the FE2 over the FA/FM2. I prefer the shutter readout and match needle over >0< LEDs. These days an F4 or N90s (not for NAI) with a good screen is probably a more sensible choice unless you want to pay for a refoam/lube or learn how to do it. Younger and they'll AF if you want. I like the E screen.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Tamron 90mm SP, KEH has got a BGN one for $175 right now, regular is ~$250. Tough to beat at any price.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Karl Barks posted:

Should I just keep buying until I find a working one? Am I doing this wrong?

Have you considered an F4?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Has anyone tried the Tamron SP 45mm? Are the cromabs as bad as the reviews make out?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

My favorite cheapo is the 35-135mm. It's push pull but it's great performer for the price if you can deal with the awful minimum focus distance.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I used the 80DX on the N90s, zoom head worked, TTL, matrix TTL fill etc. I think the only thing the new flashes dropped was thyristor ("auto") support.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Would a 85mm 3.5G also be usable for, say portraiture? It looks like it offers true 1:1.

I'd like to have an actual macro lens, so I might actually go for that. What other lenses should I look at also?

Edit: looks like a 60mm 2.8D and a 105mm 2.8D are both pretty inexpensive. Which one should I get?

Check out the Tamron SP 90mm. Adaptall/MF and early AF versions are hilarious cheap these days too. The new VR one is spendy, natch.
I think they make for an OK portrait lens but background highlights can be eh when at 'regular' focus distances imo. Much prefer the 85mm in this focal length range for that.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Welding goggles?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Nikon version is also like $200 off everywhere rn. And I'm not sure why, It's a great hunk of glass even at the msrp.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I meant the fmount version of the tamron 45 :)

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Unless you need CLS or don't want to think for daylight fills, honestly a good thyristor flash is the best bang for your buck. Nikon SB80DX was a flagship at the time and is well under $100 these days. The really great third party stuff (Metz) is almost as expensive as OEM anyway.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

“Why is this flash $600”

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I don’t personally mind the 35-70 but they’re very heavy if you’re used to modern stuff and most samples are going to be just “good” on digital. Avoid unless you need cheap cheap imo.
E- and awful is stripping quote marks for some reason :rip: the forums

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Isn’t it just push in the d-pad?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Are they still playing these feature games to avoid tax reclassification or whatever that old yarn was?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I still use the df as my primary and outside of the dial locks disappearing I don't need anything else in a camera.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Nothing is expensive to my memory, but lots of weird stuff has happened to pricing the last few years so take with a grain of salt (L35AF :wtc: :retrogames:)

nikon sb20 speedlights
These are great little flashes, you can use them in A mode on anything. I actually prefer thyristor quench a lot of the time over the pre-flash of modern TTL. It's much less prone to squinting, especially for kids and pets.

nikon af teleconverter tc-16a 1.6x
nikon extension ring e2

Good usable, probably won't work with N lenses but I forget the compatibility chart

nikon close up 1 and nikon closeup 2
I recall being actually fairly good, certainly good enough to use in a pinch. These days there's probably better coatings.

af nikkor 70-210mm 1:4
good but heavy, slow

af nikkor 35-70 1:3.3-2.4
I'd imagine there's some heavy sample variation because opinions are polarized but the one I had was great, for a compact lens or otherwise.

af micro nikkor 55mm 1:2.8
Great

af nikkor 24mm 1:2.8
I preferred Tamron's adaptall offering at the time

nikkor-s 1:1.4 50mm
Honestly preferred the 50mm f/2 that came later but if it's a good sample it's a legendary chunk of glass.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I’ve seen things like serial music carted out in defense but it’s the humanity and that’s ephemeral. gently caress who cares who owns its output when wholesale theft is its input.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

My Df and K01 still work very well and I'm sated. Wouldn't mind a K3iii monochrome but I'll grab one (un)used in a couple generations because

Wibla posted:

I told my mom about my D750 -> Z7II upgrade plans and said that after that I would be set for a long time, she just laughed :v:

:v::retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Pentax can even leverage their shift for star tracking, kind of odd they aren’t in-camera. :/