Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

^ sweet, beaten

Have you looked at the new Sigma 35mm f/1.4? There's a lot of buzz around it.

It's only just becoming available now and retails at $899.

Krelas fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krelas
May 14, 2007

spookygonk posted:

Just ordered a D7000. I've recently started work in the Audio Visual department at my work and have been asked to do a lot of still photography (while being trained in video work and editing on Macs). My D90 has been doing a good enough job with an old SB-24 flash, but I've been hankering over the upgrade for some months now.

I took a sizeable pay cut (from mainframe support shift work) to this job, but have never been happier.

edit Any recommendations for memory card spec? I was looking at a pair of SanDisk Extreme SDHC UHS-I or SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I 16GB for each. Will be taking advantage of the video recording as well as normal photography.

Any Class 10 SD card should be fine for video on a D7000.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

'Nikon D7000: From Snapshots to Great shots' is probably what you're looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D7000-Snapshots-Great-Shots/dp/0321766547

Half of it covers the basics of photography and will be the same if you have read Understanding Exposure, the other half is going through all the features of the camera and explaining clearly what they do. I'd only recommend this series of books if it's the first time you've picked up a DSLR and you're trying to figure out what each button and menu option does, it was much more helpful than the manual for me.

Also, Borrowlenses.com have discovered that some D600s are not closing their apertures correctly and are overexposing by about 2 stops because of it. I wonder how long a fix will be for this one.

http://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/2012/12/is-the-canon-6d-under-exposing/

Krelas fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 7, 2012

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Coolpix A announced, it's basically Nikon's try at a Fuji X100. Compact body, APS-C size sensor, fixed 18.5mm f2.8 lens.
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/a/a/index.htm

I'm keen to see how it stacks up against the other cameras in this range.

Also the video released for it feels like it was made in the 90s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8dVE9gu96A

Krelas fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 5, 2013

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Would I be correct in assuming this is not worth the money to get repaired?

Krelas fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Yeah the camera still works surprisingly enough. I think I'm going to pick up a D7000, they're such good value right now.

Story for those that are interested:
I was at a dance party on a portable stage and I went to walk off the stage at the back. The stage however, wasn't symmetrical and where I had assumed it extended out, there was nothing and so I free fell onto the camera and my face. There was a speedlite mounted, so it was pushed horizontal when I landed on top of the camera and took the hot shoe and popup flash with it. Fortunately enough, I'm fine, the lens is fine and the speedlite is fine, mounting a flash again isn't going to happen though.

Also I didn't have it insured, that's something I'm going to do from now on.