Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
So, I'm poor and own a D3100 because I'm firmly and forever set in the hobbyist basket of all this, and I've never owned a flash. (Speedlight? Strobe?) So, thinking ahead, I'm planning on getting one in the Spring when my tax return comes in. Was reading the Lighting thread, but, I've got a lot more to read as I'm getting lost on some of the hardware.

Because I only have the D3100 model, which lacks some features, for instance an internal AF screw, is there anything I should look for in a flash to be able to do off-body lighting? For example, I don't think mine can do wireless communication, as I had to get a corded remote to fire it that way, as the wireless one proudly stated that it wouldn't work with the D3100. :smith:

I've been working with some pretty cheap/spartan lighting. Bought one of those white diffuser umbrellas and a 20 dollar 500 watt halogen work light from a local hardware store, but, that thing gets so hot that, within a couple minutes, everything starts to smell like "heat", so, a real flash sounds like a pretty useful tool.

Digging through Amazon, the SB-700 looks pretty good, but, what other gear would I need to be able to fire this off-body? Some sort of coily cord I'd imagine that attaches to the shoe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

What do you want to shoot? Do you have a fast lens already?
Yeah, nothing special, only of my lenses that can be considered fast are the 1.8 primes, the 35 and the 50. I use the 35 the vast majority of the time as I have no AF screw, the 50 I got is manual only. I was a lot dumber about photography when I first got it. Still pretty dumb, but, hey. :v:

So the Yongnuo YN-560 II and the Strato II Wireless 5 in 1 that were linked sound like they'd work. What I've always wanted to shoot was this Caravaggio light style that I've seen some photographers do. Like, the room/subject itself is really dark with a strong off body flash being the only light coming in sideways. Maybe someday I can figure out how to do that, but, those two pieces of gear would be the best starting point?

See, I dunno if my camera can do TTL or not. Playing with the options, it does have several metering choices (I just leave it on Matrix so far) I just noticed that the wireless shutter remote didn't respond with it. I saw some of the third party ones too, but, I seem to remember reading in the comments that they didn't work for the D3100 either.

As for subjects, I just wanna be able to shoot friends/family/stuff/dog without it looking like total rear end. Usually dog. Dog is most of my photos it seems.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

You still haven't told us what you (want to) shoot.

I feel like answering this is some sort of trap and that I'll catch poo poo for not being a real photographer. But, mainly just portrait sort of stuff for my friends, family, but mostly my dog. (Unless I'm misunderstanding, and you're not meaning what subjects I want to shoot.)

For indoor sort of stuff, I've had passable results with a crazy amount of sunlight:

But the on-body flash is so harsh:

So, because I think it is too harsh, I think it looks better without, even at the high ISO:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

You guys helped me with a speedlight question some pages back, and those were all great and very affordable suggestions you all had! For Xmas, my brother got me the Yongnuo YN560-II, and, just playing around with it this evening, it is a hefty piece of hardware! It has that sensor thing for off-body shots that fires when it sees my on-board lowest-power-setting flash, which is cool as hell! Now, I can try to get the dog to sit still while roomie holds the unit off to the side, and see what neat shots I can get!

Only thing, I've read the manual, and messed around in my camera settings, and, I can't figure out how to get the camera to know there's a flash on it. I mean, the shoe works, and the thing fires just fine on body, but, none of the camera settings seems to know there's a flash hooked up. :( If I go full manual mode, and keep the ISO at 100, or something, I can take a bunch of shots until the exposure looks right, but, is there a switch on this thing to get it to work with any of the auto modes? Like Aperture Priority dial/Auto ISO and all that?

Or are those settings for lovely photographers and I'm supposed to only ever shoot manual anyway? :sigh:

vvv Oh, well. Kinda bummed now. Oh well, it was a gift, I guess. It just seems I'll be using this thing a lot less than I had hoped.

Aramek fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 8, 2013

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Yeah, I can't find that it can do anything of the sort. Even if I got an iTTL wireless trigger set like this one this flash won't be able to do TTL as the flash itself just doesn't communicate that to the camera?