Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

So my D5100 is an F mount, meaning I can technically use any F mount lens in history, but I'll lose features like auto focus and metering, correct? I can deal with manual focus but exactly how much of a pain is losing metering?

Basically what I am asking is if I want to experiment with old/cheap lenses from ebay, what's the biggest problem I am going to encounter?

Lack of metering and AF will be your only issues really. The few lenses out there that can destroy your mirror or shutter mechanism are niche lenses you probably wont find yourself wanting.

As for a smartphone meter, no. They are wildly inaccurate. Might be useful in a pinch during the day time at noon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
If you have a ton of crud on your sensor, send it to nikon, pay the fee. They get it clean the first time. The local place here wouldnt touch it with a 10foot pole due to "liability".

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

Auto ISO is a hosed up setting.

It shows up in the regular ISO menu on certain modes (like the useless Scene and Effects)

But it's nowhere to be seen on other modes like S, A, or even P.

(hard to tell from that photo, but it's on the lowest setting there: 100)

If you go deep into the menu under ISO Sensitivity, you can change the ISO here. Auto shows up but it's disabled (greyed out) for most modes as well

But wait! There's another actual dedicated auto ISO setting right below that!

There it'll let you enable auto ISO in just about any mode except for Scene and Effects (it becomes greyed out)

Whoever designed the auto ISO settings for this firmware was drunk.

Auto Iso in the entry levels is scrubtier compared to the D... ohhh those cameras dont do scene mode anyways.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
You can hand hold 5min long exposures with an X100.

Also whats with all the Capture NX hate. Sure its wonky compared to LR but it does a fine job with the NEF files. Yall hate NikSoft or something?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Beastruction posted:

But it'd be $20 as a first party accessory.

Local Camera shop hands out replacements like candy becuase they have 89027369874654 of them in a shoebox.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
There are plenty of cheap things to be bought in our hobby. :snoop:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

geeves posted:

I just bought a Canon EOS-3 film camera for myself and would like to buy my brother a Nikon equivalent for his birthday. What am I looking for and at roughly what price?

F100. Will allow modern and legacy lenses to function without issue.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

krooj posted:

There's a new thread title somewhere in there.

So apparently wikipedia says Nikon's parent company is Mitsubishi.

Its true. If you paint racing stripes on your camera you can push the iso higher. :snoop:

http://reviews.photographyreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/pimp-cam-D4.jpg Can shoot a million ISO.

Musket fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 27, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is the 3D/Dynamic AF tracking in the D3100 just really loving bad or is it because It's limited to 11 points? I know my nickname is Shaky McShakeHands but Jesus Christ I missed a lot of shots (birding) this past week. It's making me want to do something dumb like rage buy a 7000/7100.

Dont ask "WHY IS MY CAMREA DOING____________" without posting a picture.

Chances are you are using a really slow lens and too low of ISO especially in Birding. If you Bird, you need to have a tripod or monopod with your tele-zooms. Your zooms are only as fast as the AF motor they have in them. Dont expect 70-200VRII results on a Tammy.

Musket fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 15, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Same speed as the lens I was using previously (kit 55-200) which was giving me some great results but now that I think about it I changed to Dynamic AF from straight up single point around the same time I got the new lens. Just gonna go back to single point.

I think its a simple issue of your lens AF motor cannot keep up.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Beastruction posted:

I think if I'm going to carry my D7000 around I'm going to need a heavier lens :v:

300mm AIS f4 weighs more than you. Carry that around all day, get swole.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

echobucket posted:

I've been thinking about getting an old DSLR to convert to Infrared... and I just found out that apparently the D100 did not have an IR Filter built in.

So all I need (I think) is a D100, an visible light filter (which is called an IR filter most of the time even though it's not filtering IR), and maybe a set of step up rings for my lenses.

Will this work? Anyone else tried this with any success?

Get a Hoya r72 or Tiffen 87 Filter, never look back.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

This sounds really dubious, pretty much everything that has a CCD has an infrared filter ('hot mirror') due to how absurdly sensitive they are to IR light and how much it fucks up photographs. The D100 might have a relatively weak hot mirror, but I can almost guarantee it has one.

Its weak as gently caress Soundmonkey, weak enough that a R72/720nm filter will work pretty great, Not lifepixel conversion amazing, but great with some work in post.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

beergod posted:

Has anyone picked up the 7100 yet? Trip report? Thinking about upgrading from my just-purchased 3200 (just take all my money Cameragod).

Buy 17-50 tamron 2.8, not a new camera body. Trust the dorkroom.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Do you shoot nothing but MTF charts and brick walls?

Sensors are different but both are 24mp. D7100 has way more options and use of legacy lenses with metering and AF screw.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

krooj posted:

Yup. Or the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 or the 24-70 f/2.8 if you don't mind the offset focal range. You will poo poo a brick after seeing what quality glass can bring out of cheaper bodies.

Having owned the DX 17-55 and Tammy 17-50 nonvc and currently own the 24-70 , the Tammy non VC is a great lens worth far more than its 400photobux tag. Plus its got bees inside of it :freep:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
What AI-AIS-E series lenses are they?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Ezekiel_980 posted:

What would be considered a fair price for one?

The D90? Nikon just dropped the price. I know Nikon USA has a refurb store http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/pd/productID.213427600 that you can buy it at for dirt cheap. Check for an AU version.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
The only true portrait lens is the 135 f/2 DC.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

As a warning, don't buy the Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4 AI-S because it's a huge purple fringing piece of poo poo (I used to have one).

Lightroom 5 fixes that :colbert: You skip that Micro because its 1:2. 55mm Micro or the 105mm micro or go home.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Is there any such thing as a split-focus screen for the D600?

Not yet. Katzeyes should have one sooner than later.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Krelas posted:

Would I be correct in assuming this is not worth the money to get repaired?

You are correct. Sell it as parts camera, buy used/refurb upgrade. Nikons refurb store has a ton of good deals right now. Or better yet, just use your Super ME PENTAX!

Musket fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 26, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Kazy posted:

I like how 5 seconds in when he raises the camera, the image on the LCD just stays the same.

Because he had it in [P]ro-mode. Duh.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

I got a 3rd party charger from Gadget Infinity and I've had no problems with it, for all of ten bucks.

Ive also bought plenty of aftermarket nikon chargers. Power 2000 makes good ones.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Mine said "Kingma" and had a tiny sorta Norse looking viking dude on it, so if you want viking power, order from gadgetinfinity I guess.

(Bear in mind mine is charger for EN-EL3e, I don't know what the Christ D40s use, but I'm sure they have a charger for it.)

If Krock had his way the D40 would have been teh last dslr ever made and would have been powered by god himself (with matching 18-200 and SB400, the ultimate kit).

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Protons posted:

Here are some of the blurrier pictures. I'm not sure what settings were used, so I'll have to ask. I will assume that it was taken with the portrait mode and the lens was focused as far as it could.

http://imgur.com/wtb1lEI,BJz18HA,qReYCTo,KnDcmzq

Not so much blurry really, just soft as hell. Seems to be more technique than a camera issue. Also a 250bux to spend on a new lens is not very much if you are looking for good optics. 55-200 is good for outdoor use or cranking the ISO high indoors but honestly its a band-aid and not a fix.

This hobby works by the "More you spend the better it is" guideline when it comes to camera bodies and glass. Spend 250, realize its not the results you want, resell at a hit, buy more expensive glass on top of that. Its not a road you want to go down.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I guess without seeing the EXIF I'd have to guess that those are almost certainly the kit lens' f/5.6 in available light, forcing a low shutter speed. Cranking up the ISO might help if it's not already cranked (I didn't really check for noise) but I don't think the D3000 is any sort of magical ISO machine like today's sensors. VR would definitely help, but you're still opening up your kit lens to its widest which will almost always soften the photo a little. Just my two cents. Photography on a tight budget is usually a war between price and quality.

You basically hit the nail on the head. Also VR wont help if they are moving subjects.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Just a reminder that I have a 80-200 F/2.8 for sale in the sales thread along with a 17-50 f2.8 as well hint hint.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Protons posted:

Lets say I bumped the budget up to $400. Would that open more options?

Tamron VC is a good choice at the sub400photobux level. As Marty put it, reading up on why the photos didnt turn out is cheaper and more benefit in the long run than throwing money at a faster lens in most situations. Getting Understanding Exposure is a good start.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Ken Rockwell spends way too much time thinking about testicles.

... is what you should take away from this discussion.

... and is actually god's honest truth.

... according to me, at least.

He had his Testicals "Gelded" brah.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

A photo from where you were sitting would not have been no matter what gear you used unless you had professional-grade sports or bird watching gear. For a situation like that if you wanted a good photo, you should have just sat up front or taken it from the aisle.

At 24MP i could have cropped it down to 12mp in size with a 70-300 VR at 1600 iso nbd, so no you dont need a 600mm F4 VR and a D4 to take good telephoto shots.

Now its a good idea to take advantage of moving about when its allowed.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Let us also remember that Ken Rockwell has an unironic webpage on his site about how aliens visited Europeans because they found Native Americans to be too savage and primitive to understand science. Yep, it's on there somewhere.

Also the D1H is still actually a good camera in TYOOLASJC 2013, my wife uses one (that I got for $125 in this very forum), and it actually outperforms my D200 in several areas.

The D1H rules. Ditch your D200 and buy my D2Xs I got here layin around (still costs as much as an abused D700):snoop:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Dren posted:

Far and away the most offensive thing about Ken is that he has so much amazing photo gear and the only pictures he can be arsed to take for his articles are awful snapshots, mostly of his ugly children.

To be fair, you are not his target audience. He shoots photos of his kids/boring poo poo to demonstrate real world use of camera and lens combinations along with post production styles that only Grey Beards would appreciate. While his reviews are full of poo poo opinions, the photos themselves demonstrate the strengths and faults of the lens hes reviewing. If he says the CA is terrible, he pixel-peeps and shows you instead of just blahblablahthislenssucksimjustgonnabitchaboutit. Face it, you take boring pics, he takes boring pics, we all take snapshots and boring pics.

KRock isnt harming you, cut him some slack. Better yet, dont visit his website.

Ironically defending krock :smugdog:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

I'd rent a really good lens, rather than trying to buy something on a shoestring, for truely 'epic' stuff like that.

e: eg. for 14 days £200 would probably get you something good at the wide end like a 10mm/2.8 nikon and something tele with macro like a 200mm/2.8 sigma for the close up 'wildlife' and long shots, on top of your kit lens and 50mm that would cover most of the ranges, and give you better lenses for those 2 weeks than buying some substandard stuff to own would.

10.5mm is a full on fisheye. You would need to flatten it out with perspective control. Its works great but bear in mind that when you perspective fix a fished eye photo, you some image area, so account for that loss when you compose.

I personally would rent a 8-16mm sigma myself and use that with 18-55 kit lens and the 50mm for a shortish tele.

junto a la luna posted:

So I am off to Iceland in September, for 10 days of walking around what I hope will be some amazing scenery. I bought a D3200 in February, with just the kit lens. I also have an old 50mm lens from an F301, though the AF doesn't work on my D3200.

I should be getting a small bonus from work next month, and I'd like a lens that is good for landscapes, with a budget of £300ish (less if possible). I'm guessing that second hand is probably the way to go here, but I'm not sure exactly what is best to go with. I would imagine that something really wide angle is best for what should be epic landscapes?

Your budget is really small for what you are asking, even on second hand markets. Id use the funds to rent and then if you are blown away by results, put it on your ever growing list of ways to blow photobux.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I'm the guy making a living off begging for money on his site and then filling it with bullshit and hoaxes.

Please click my links or my children starve, though :( :( :(

So what your sayin is that Ken Rockwell is Shivadas? How he feed dem kidz?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Beastruction posted:

They should send Ashton Kutcher into space.

Space has enough junk already. I hear they need people for that one way mission to Mars.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

tropical posted:

I read the OP and flipped through the last few pages but I'm wondering if I could get some real-world usage opinions on the Nikon 1 compact line. My sister is shopping around for a new camera and she's not interested in a DSLR and doesn't have the money for a micro 4/3s camera (from what I can tell) but the Nikon 1 J1, S1 and V1 cameras are all on sale locally and they caught her eye. I think the'd be better off with the J1 since it has a built in flash, and it also happens to be more on sale than the S1/V1 models. The kit comes with 10-30mm and 30-110mm lenses.

From what I can tell these cameras seem to be decent enough for compact point'n'shoots, but is there another direction I should point her in?

Thanks!

Its small, its far better than a p/s and is really inexpensive for what you get. Get the J1 kit, she will enjoy it.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Stupid lens question:

Is there any reason, other than VR which I do not need, to get the new Nikon 70-200 f/4 for $1400 instead of one of the older Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 lenses? About the only thing I think the new one has going for it is it is lighter, which I would really appreciate but for nearly twice the cost I can probably deal with.

I havent used the f4 version i have however used a One Touch 80-200 2.8 vs a 70-200 VRI 2.8, results are the same from a D700 body.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Stop using branded straps and buy some cool straps with personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Eegah posted:

It's what came in the box :shobon:

Dont let that stop you from gettin a cool one :snoop: Unless you are fine with being an unpaid walking billboard :smugdog: