Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

copen posted:

Hey at least I'm a walking shill for a company that no longer exists :d

Pentax user, sighted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
My walk around is 18-55 and 135 DC, no need for anything else really. Once in awhile i toss a 50mm f2 in the bag.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Dren posted:

I had an order on adorama for a 135 DC about 2 years ago that never got fulfilled. :( Tell me how much you love it.

I love it. A lot. Lately though ive been ignoring the DC and using mostly as a tele. I dont do many portraits these days.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I ended up getting 18-55 (the kit lens from the d80 i think) and 55-200 nikkor lenses, I didn't realize how expensive the tamron glass would be. These should be enough IMO to at least get me started, and once I learn enough to notice the difference a high end glass can make I'll also have a better idea which one I want.

Tripod is definitely a good idea, I can borrow a couple different ones from a friend indefinitely to see what I like. Is a polarizing filter a good idea for shooting cars? I read somewhere in this subforum that it can help with reflective surfaces.

I happen to have a 17-50 Tamron lens for sale in the used gear thread. I have been known to trade and accept some rather lowball offers. Its miles ahead of that kit lens you have in terms of IQ and the constant aperture is a godsend in a lot of situations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
The most important part of the photography investment is not the camera body, its the lenses/glass.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Flotzilla posted:

So I just purchased a factory-refurbished Nikon D7000 and a new 35mm f/1.8G from Cameta that arrived a few days ago. When shooting this weekend, I noticed a dark smudge in some photos that I took stopped down below f/5 or so that I didn't notice in earlier shots with the aperture more open. It's always in the same place so I'm assuming it's something on the sensor? I've tried using the menu option to clean the sensor with no luck of removing it. I only have the one lens so I can't try different lenses but if I need to test more to diagnose the problem, I can go borrow a lens from a friend to see if it has the same issue.

Here's a sky shot I did at f/22 to try to see where the spots were. You can see a very large black spot surrounded by a few softer, smaller spots in the top left.

What's the proper way to handle this? I'd really rather not return the camera if it's not necessary, but I also don't want to have to pay to have the sensor cleaned.

Clean sensors are on you. Cameta may toss you a freebie if you ask them nicely, but 9/10 times its all on you to clean it. A sensor cleaning is pretty cheap. Sensors get dirty over time. Its not a big deal at all.

First step is to blow it out with a rocket blower and clean your back lens element. Take picture. If its still there, head to local camera shop and either by a DIY sensor cleaning kit, or pay them to do it.

A car analogy fits in here somewhere.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

The last reliable autism I heard about eyes was tldr, 32mm, f/3.5, ISO 800, maximum exposure (actually integration) time of fifteen seconds.

This would be a terrible camera.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

**This is an abstract question with many variables**

Is there a generally agreed upon value for how many full stops worth of shutter speed difference VR typically makes on a lens? Assuming an average degree of steadiness holding the camera. I ask just out of curiosity as I've been playing with VR and haven't noticed a huge difference at any focal length. If the general wisdom is that you can't really shoot effectively slower than 1/60 while steadying the camera with your hand, are you expected to be able to get away with 1/30 with VR at around 200mm? What have people's experience been with this? I've heard enough praise for the VR lenses to assume that it's not entirely marketing hype.

VR1 is 2-3 stops, but really its closer to 2. The 80-400 being the weakest VR. 200mm with Vr and 1/30th are not going to work. You wont stop any motion at all but hey, stationary objects wont be too blurry.

VRII is accepted as roughly 4 stops. The only lens I owned with VR2 was the 70-200. Its good, but nothing with VR in it will stop motion or violate the 1/focal length rule. All you are obtaining is the ability to handhold against stationary objects a few extra stops.

I notice VR when im shooting between 18mm and 55mm. Wider angles will benefit from VR more than narrow ones. I can handhold down to 1/4th at 18mm with 4stops of VR (i also have no mirror so that helps too). I cant do that at the 200mm end.

Musket fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 17, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Look at Mr. Shakeyhands here.

Try the Shakes - MJF 1982

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

nielsm posted:

If you want beautiful bohkeys try out the old 58mm f/1.2 Noct-Nikkor AIS, it's amazing :swoon:

ftfyb (fixed that for you both).

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Seriously though, who would make a custom bokey filter for the front of their lens that's just crazy ta-

You got yourself a Michael J Fox original. Try the shakes!

The 135f2 DC aint that special. Most people misuse it anyways.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

So I picked up that lens, it was a 50mm 1.8D as advertised, came in the box basically looking brand new. The guy was upgrading to a full frame body.

Walked down the street after I bought it and discovered they closed down the streets for a busking festival, was pretty cool. Cross posting this one from the street photography thread to show the new lens.

Toolkit by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

No crazy bokeh pics (that I'm happy with) for now but I can't get over the difference in image quality with this new glass compared to the kit lenses I have. Best $60 I ever spent!

Jokes on him. FX loves that loving lens.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

He probably just got a 50/1.4 anyways when he upgraded. Duh.

Love that .096345% more photons.

not real science

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Can you quantify the bokeh, bro???

One is creamy, the other is glow-y :snoop:

50mm 1.2 bokey is the same as 200mm 2.8 bokey. Go Science!

Musket fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 30, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Spend the extra $$$$$ on the D7k and 35mm 1.8 as that set up will allow you to grow into it and stay with it for a fairly long time. If you cannot add $$$$$ to your budget, get a cheaper body and get the 35mm 1.8 anyways. Good glass will outlast a digital body.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

I want to explore photography more as a hobby and want to get rid of my 5 year old P&S and get a DSLR. I have been browsing craigslist and came upon this deal:

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/pho/3854809622.html

Any thoughts? I'd like to stay below $600 for everything and this deal seems like it gives me more options for getting a nicer lens.

Thats a pretty meh deal. This is much better http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Outfits/1/sku-DN01999126744X?r=FE

The D60 is really long in the tooth.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Some questions about the nikon image optimization firmware. Do you guys use A-DL? What about long-exposure noise reduction? Are these features comparable to the equivalent lightroom features or are they significantly worse?

Lightroom ignores all Picture Control fucntions including ADL. I usually avoided using LNR as well because i could do better in Lightroom.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
The only tool that will 100% read NEF files with Nikon Picture Control settings like ADL/LNR and NPC Color settings is *barf* Capture NX.

They are saved into the jpg data. Shoot jpg (dont, nikon sucks at jpg).

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Eegah posted:

So any ideas for a, uh, stuck lens? My 55-300 VR II seems to be well attached to my D5200. I can push the lens release fine but it only rotates maybe a sixteenth inch. I can take photos with it fine, it just doesn't come off.

It was a bit warm when I put the lens on but not so much that I would think heat expansion would screw things up.

Your release button is messed up. Take it to a shop.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

nerd_of_prey posted:

Hi, Looking for some guidance! I have a Nikon d3200, the 35mm 1.8 lens, 55-300mm lens and the kit 18-55mm.

I am really happy with my camera body (though may upgrade to a d7100 next year), the prime lens and 55-300 lens but I really hate the kit lens. I tend to keep switching between the two lenses I like but obviously, I have nothing wide and the constant switching is inconvenient. I would like an upgrade to the kit lens, that has a range I would find useful and is good in low light.

I have looked around and am quite taken with the Tamron sp 24-70mm 2.8 usd vc lens. The reviews seem excellent, but obviously its very pricey. I don't mind paying for a quality lens as I would like to pursue photography work in the future and I enjoy gig photography as a hobby and would like to improve my pictures so I can get onto better venues!

My questions are: Does this lens autofocus with the D3200 because I really can't work out tamrons naming system!

Secondly, am I being silly wanting this lens, is there a cheaper alternative, I am overlooking? The 2.8 aperture is important to me. The 24-70 seems a useful focal length to be but I would be happy with similar.

I still have teh 17-50mm 2.8 Tammy (it will AF on the D3200) NON-VC(its sharper than the VC lens) for sale in teh gear thread about 20 pages back, im gonna update my post for it in the gear thread. The 24-70 is an FX/Full Frame lens so it wont be a FOV of 24-70. You want the 17mm-50mm lens for DX cameras that will give you the same FOV.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

MissSheGrrl posted:

Hmm, yah that may not be ideal for me at the moment. Do camera shops ever allow you to try out lenses before buying if you bring in your own body? Obviously this may be up to individual shops but I'm curious if this is a common thing.

You can do it the local place here as well. They have at least one on display that you can play with. You can use your own body or use one of theirs to test it out in-store.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Jimmy Thief posted:

Any thoughts on the rumored D610 and D5300? As an owner of a D600, I'll be slightly annoyed if it's significantly upgraded in any way, thought at this point it looks to be a marketing gimmick to get away from the D600 oil spot reputation.

Edit: http://nikonrumors.com/2013/08/29/rumor-nikon-preparing-to-announce-new-d5300-and-d610-dslr-cameras.aspx/

Its a marketing gimmick to sell a body with a shutter that wont have the oil problem. No upgrades (except for 3 CF slots and better video and probably a 80mp sensor).

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'll go look for an 18-55 deal, only affordable option anyway. Still, howcome you think an 18-200 isn't an option? If we overlook the cost issue it looks to me on paper to be a solution that would allow me to have just one lens, which is a definite plus in my book.

On paper its great. Real world its terrible. But go ahead and waste the money. Krock loves it on a D40 because you cant see how ugly your kids are because the image quality is poor.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Moon Potato posted:

I'm going to be annoyed if it actually does have better video. I ended up shelling out for a D800 mostly because of the exceptionally bad moire in the D600.

I can assure you that there will not be any new cool poo poo added to the D610 that couldnt be put in a firmware up... oh that dont happen with Nikon.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Real Chat, buy a Beat up D2XS.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Delivery McGee posted:

On a more serious note, how much should I offer the paper for "my" 80-200?

It's like this but with two of the three screws holding the front bit on missing, along with the nameplate (there's a hole that goes right down between the lens elements under the nameplate, btw; I put a bit of gaffer tape over it, that's how I know it's mine), and the camera shops refuse to fix it (they say the mounting ring is hosed but it still talks to the camera just fine), but it works. And is f/2.8.

It was the new hotness when they gave it to me on a D1 (no letter) ten years ago, and I'm still using it for football.

It's either that or a Sigma self-motorized 70-300 f/4-5.6, with my budget.

Edit: they sold the two of those that weren't literally falling apart without telling me, and the broken one is what I get to borrow. Jerks. The fulltime guys run newer 70-200s that lock at f/2.8 at the slightest hint of trauma; "mine", despite its slow focusing, can take a hit and keep on truckin'.

If your gonna throw money at a beat to gently caress 80-200, just throw money at me. I have a 80-200 sittin 0987263098746 pages back in the gear sales thread, thats just collecting dust.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
The larger Dxxx motors have no torque issues with AF-D/AF-S screw drive lenses. My former D300D700/D2xs screw drive was able to focus a 80-200mm One Touch Frankenstein lens almost as fast as a 70-200VR1.

The D300 ruined a cheap rear end Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF because the screwdrive torque was too much. My dad wore that bit down in the mount just from daily use in about 4 months.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

1st AD posted:

Yeah I'm not stoked about the D600 losing value on the used market barely a year after it was released.

The dust and oil problems suck, but a sensor cleaning takes care of that poo poo. It just seems weird to release a new model so soon.

Its the only way Nikon can save themselves from that embarrassment, in future sales at the cost of "early" adopters. Thanks for beta testing.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Pictured: the only time in history when I have thought "actually an SB-400 would be a better idea".

(No it wouldn't, I doubt it would even work, just get whatever shameflash Fuji sells for the X100s.)

SB400 works just fine on an X100. Most Nikon flashes will work fully manual on an X100 without issue.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

nielsm posted:

You know what the best (worst) thing about bringing old thyristor-auto flashes to social events is?
"ARGH I'M BLIND STOP IT!"

Really, they tend to bring a lot more light than the small onboard flashes most people are used to today.

The smart flash on the x100 is almost good enough in most club situations to not really need an external flash for anything within 6-10 feet pushed to +1 or +2 exp flash comp.

Another good use for that flash would be to get a 6foot sync cord and palm the flash for max coolness. Sometimes I do that with my XE1.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

red19fire posted:

:hellyeah: still have an old hot shoe sync cord in the closet.

I don't think its a thyristor, it has an old version of TTL for film cameras that doesn't work on DSLR's. Minimum power is 1/16 though.

Got gels? I hear soundmonkey may have some for sale or did. I had a ton of fun with my X100 as a party camera with an external and gels and draggin shutters.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
HAHAAH you guys and your heavy cameras that need neck-straps. HAHAHHAA :snoop: Mirrorless owns.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Wolf on Air posted:

You're all wrong.

(AF 85/1.8, 135/2 AI-S, AF 50/1.8)

I paid under $500. If you can't lug 2 kg worth of camera, you don't deserve to take good portraits.

(Oops, 100% of my posts in this thread are sniping about this lens. It's that good okay. See history for cat samples)

Non DC, Scrub. :toot:

Also, FM2 digital rumor with D4 guts, and will use Fmount. Eat poo poo Sony A7.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

There's no perceptible IQ difference in the new Gs.

I'm the vainest person.

Look at this scrub, shootin Gimped lenses. AIS 1.2 for lyfe :snoop:

FM2 rumor with D4 sensor and new Expeed engine announcement 1-3 weeks. If this rumor is untrue, soundmonkey will ban himself and everyone in the Mirrorless thread.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Jimmy Thief posted:

It will look neat and go well with my fixie and giant novelty beard.

Lol scrub with a fixed gear. When will you learn that gears make sense brah.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

red19fire posted:

Just gonna cross post this from the mirrorless thread:

Can't wait for this to come out. It's going to be :laffo: money with the D4 sensor, but if it's anything like the FM2 I (and a whole lot of other dweebs) will sell off a lot of stuff in a heartbeat. And I hope they sell a body-only kit, 50mm 1.4 only, scrubs (though the pancake 1.8E is also acceptable). Also, maybe they'll do a special program where you can trade in an old FM2 and get extra money, and they also tell you you're pretty cool and not a letdown to my parents.

Gonna be under 2500 as a kit. D4 sensor isnt special just a good one.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

1st AD posted:

I'm not sure who this camera is marketed to but $3k is pretty laughable. Yeah you'd get a much better value by going with a D800.

First, shut up dad.

Second, its this or $7k Leica when discussing full frame coverage in a non-dizzzlr body type. Its gonna sell like hotcakes. This price is well within reach for most folks who are looking for a full frame camera in a retro style.

To me, that price is a steal. I actually enjoy shooting my Nikon FG and if this turns out to honestly be an exact clone of the FM2, I know I will end up with one. I expect the used AI/AIS glass market to inflate.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

There's also the A7. The lens lineup is trash, but Sigma will probably start putting out decent stuff when Sony screws the pooch *again*. Right?

I dont recognize that abortion as a retro styled camera. APSM and recall feature dial, instead of just shutter speed dial. Sony missed the ball, but i understand they are trying to keep Nex owners, not lose em.

Its current line up is junk and maybe sigma will be great on this camera. I hear good things about the 35mm Fmount they make. I was excited for the A7 for a hot minute before the lens reality sank in.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've stopped using RAW since I only got my tiny acer netbook and lightroom runs like poo poo on it, don't have the space to store everything on it either. Maybe now that we live in a bigger place I can pack up my desktop and get back to normal.

Is there some lightweight and free alternative for handling RAW images otherwise?

Yea, shooting jpg and editing in windows paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

copen posted:

I'm thinking about selling all my Nikon gear and going mirrorless. Convince me this is a bad idea and I should man up and carry my heavy rear end D200 and 80-200 f/2.8 everywhere and maybe buy this thing.

Dump all that poo poo and get a Fuji XE1. I did. gently caress them haters.

OOC with the "kit" lens:

South East, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

:snoop: