Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

What hypothetically would be the body to look towards when the time comes to upgrade from my D5600?
I mostly shoot birds with the F mount 150-600 Sigma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

That tracks, thanks guys.

I figure the D500 is going to retain value as I don't think Nikon is going to replace it for another couple years - a wildlife focused F mount dslr in 2022 or 2023? Nahhht likely.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

gently caress I need to hop on one of them sooner rather than later it seems

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

https://petapixel.com/2023/02/21/popular-instagram-photographer-revealed-as-ai-fraud/

This should've been immediately suss when he was saying he was shooting these with nikon :dukedog:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

the idea of setting out to fool people, then admit it, then try to reclaim artistic validation is so wonderful

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

It's getting close to that esoteric argument about how you view photography - are you making a photo or taking a photo

I'd be more likely to attribute an artist label to a photo editor for a large magazine before giving that label to the guy typing in 45 keywords into a prompt text box and picking the best result to post.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I started with a D5600 - still have it, anticipate using it as a second body with another lens on it, haven't just got around to a situation where I need a second body yet.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

nikon should just give previous nikon owners all z9s for free for sticking through the online bullying

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

holy poo poo thank you - going to try and calibrate some lenses sometime this week - maybe it'll save a few shots in the long run.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

gently caress i wish i had disposable income

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Yeast posted:

Simply make a living taking photographs.

im afraid of putting a number on my time

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I'd be the coolest looking motherfucker shooting concerts with one of thems god drat

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

the 35mm 1.8 is going to blow your mind.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I too hem and haw about switching to Nikon mirrorless, but I'm convinced the money is better spent on better glass than anything for what I do (Concert & Wildlife)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Welp. I caved and bought the ART 18-35 F1.8 for F mounts from Sigma - Looks like I'm sticking with my D500 for a while yet.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve had that lens for a bunch of years, it’s a bunch of fun. Did you get the little usb fine tuning thing for it too? I always wanted to try their 50-100 after I broke my (also Sigma) 50-150 but ended up just going for a regular 70-200. I miss that 20mm on the wide end.

I did not, should I? Tell me more about it!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I should really sit down one day and calibrate the lenses I use the most...

Maybe this will be the one that starts it all. I might have a friend with one of those I can borrow (they're like 80$ now)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

First thing I would ask is what you're shooting primarily?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Brrrmph posted:

Stupid question. When you use a Nikon FX mirrorless in crop mode, do you get the bonus zoom on the lens? Like does a 200 mm become a 300 mm with crop factor like it’s a DX camera?

IIRC yes, but your megapixel count obviously is reduced.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I adore my 35mm 1.8 its so cheap but so so so so good

I also really love my Sigma 18-35 1.8 but that's getting up there in price. Might not be worth spending $800 on a lens for a body that old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Should note that I started my wildlife stuff with the uber cheap 70-300. It's an okay lens that gives you good reach for local birds and squirrels and bunnies n' stuff if you're into that.