Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

So the last few years have really been something and I'm finally wanting to get back out there and photo poo poo. I have a D800E (happy 10 year anniversary!), a D7000, and a D40. I like to do landscape but want to get more into wildlife. I have a Nikkor 200-500 5.6E that would be great for the latter but the VR is broken. My financial situation has recently opened the avenue of shedding all this and going mirrorless. So that said here are all my questions:

1. Will Nikon be releasing a Z8 sort of thing, ala D8xx vs D4, and should I wait for that? The Z9 is too much and lol if I'll ever get to put my hands on one ever.
2. If I go mirrorless and get a Z7ii will the in-body VR make up for the broken VR in any given lens like the aforementioned 200-500 5.6?
2a. Does the Z7ii have in body VR? Quick Googling isn't coming back with anything conclusive.
3. I remember a billion years ago you could send DSLRs like the D40 somewhere to have built in filters removed making them much more useful for infrared photography. Is that that still a thing?
4. Is the new FTZ II much better than the first one?
4a. Will long F mount lenses work just fine with FTZ or FTZ II without issue? Again the aforementioned 200-500 but what if I grab a Tamron 150-600 G2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

frumpykvetchbot posted:

First day of shooting with this beast was a blast. I picked up the camera at the Nikon hub at Funan, a "tech lifestyle" mall, I'm told. I had arranged to have some lenses and a fully charged EN-EL18 battery with me, borrowed from a fellow Nikon shooter. That way I could walk home through the city with the camera and not miss a minute getting to start experimenting with it. The Nikon people included this fine canvas bag for the camera box. Only after I got home did it register why I got some funny looks on the way. (aside from what you usually get with street photography.)

Nikon z9 marketing team: :cripes:
AB InBev Corona marketing team: :cheerdoge:

Ordered a z7ii and FTZ2 adapter. Should be good times in a few days.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Out of the box shot with 24-70 f2.8 and no clues, resized. The resize knocked out a hot pixel just to the right of the kitten but I think doing the pixel mapping thing fixed it since.

Edit: Finally got Lightroom working again, guess I was behind some versions. Here's a slightly improved rendition from the base JPEG because I didn't realize you had to turn on RAW+x out of the box.

So while waiting for this thing I saw in the product sheet that it had wifi built in. Immediately I thought, "Cool! I can connect this thing wirelessly to my router and transfer files directly to my PC that way!" It seems after some fiddling and Googling that this is not possible and the z7's wifi capabilities are poorly documented and mysterious unless you shell out major cash for a dedicated WU-x. The more things change the more they stay the same. But at least USB-C is cool. The EVF is cool but also very strange. It's neat to see exactly what things are gonna look like but it still adds a weird ethereal quality to everything. The touchscreen back panel is really cool.

I'm coming from a D800E so give me a break on ooh-ing and aah-ing these now basic features. And holy poo poo did all the buttons move around.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 24, 2022

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Repair quote for that Nikon 200-500 5.6E came in: $550. Sound fair for busted VR?

Turn around time is estimated at two weeks but not promised because they might not be able to get the parts/chips.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I opted to have it repaired shortly after that post. Still waiting for an update.

Do teleconverters like the TC14E II or III work fine when stacked with the FTZ adapter? I'd guess they would but it'd be nice to know for sure.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

frumpykvetchbot posted:

viz:
Photo taken with the 200-500 f/5.6 lens, at 200mm zoom position. 1/2000s. f/5.6. 900m distance to subject. 1:1 pixel crop (~1/8 width of source image.)

Do get it fixed, it's a fine lens sharp and un-distorted at wide-open aperture for entire zoom range.

It's been out for repair since April and still no parts. Thinking about calling it off and selling it for what I can and getting a Z 100-400 4.5 and 1.4 TC instead. Although looks like those are getting bought up as fast as they can make them.

RIP F Mount and photographic arts: Press Z to F art

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Huh. I’ve been meaning to send my D810 in for a “replace mirror box, shutter, AF module - just give me the works and set this thing up for another 500K shutter actuations” service but I wonder if it’s too late and I’ll have no choice but to buy a new camera. Seriously, it’s still ok for landscapes with MUP and EFCS but this thing has gone all floppy on me. Shame if it couldn’t be brought back to like newish condition.

Specifically the 200-500 5.6 in question had broken VR but otherwise worked fine. I've long since forgotten when they said the specific broken piece was, a flux thingamawhopper, but at the end of the day they can't seem to get another one. The point is my issue hopefully doesn't mean getting a D810 a nice day at the spa should be problematic.

That said B&H Photo just got a new pile of Nikon Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S Lenses and one is on track to be delivered to me tomorrow :dance: The corresponding Z TC 1.4 is still listed as back ordered with no expected arrival date.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Been playing around the Z 100-400 with hummingbirds and the below crops from throw away shots have some pretty wild visual anomalies going on. Is this weirdness from how VR is trying to compensate or is something wrong with the lens?

Tri-winged hummingbird:

Flubber hummingbird:

Detached tri-wing hummingbird:

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 25, 2022

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

I mean I would totally daily a D1 since my 'work' cameras come out pretty infrequently. D100 daily probably more practical tho. D300 and we're already so modern might as well just use the D500/Z50 or whatever.

I'm curious what a side-by-side shot of a D1 vs. a D850 would look like. I reckon if it's a high contrast shot the 850 would take the 1 to school in terms of dynamic range but beyond that would it look much different?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

powderific posted:

Electronic shutter has rolling issues even at high speeds, just cranking up the shutter speed won’t help. You need to use mechhanical shutter to get away from the issue.

Yeah, this was the ticket. I had enabled "silent shooting" which forces electronic shutter at all times. I've since put it back on auto which seems to manage itself pretty reasonably with the default settings.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

The big day is here and right now BH is showing the Z8 unavailable until mid June while Amazon is saying July 12.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

toggle posted:

Jesus..

I just received mine in Australia. Nice size, feels good. An annoying thing is that I couldn’t copy all my settings directly from the Z9 on an SD card, had to go through each menu on the Z9 and sort it on the Z8. That’s my only complaint so far.

Any other initial thoughts? I pre-ordered one through B&H but a week before release so if I'm lucky I'll be in the second wave of shipments.

Apparently people who bought directly from Nikon are having orders cancelled. Z8s are also showing up on E-bay for $5,000+

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Wibla posted:

My 70-300 AF-P fucks around a bit on my D750, focus stops working randomly at 300mm, sometimes recover if I go back to 70mm.

Works fine on my Z30, so I'll have to try to clean the contacts first I guess.

Been eyeing the 80-400 AF-S for light-weight birding though... :shepface:

If you're just doing birding with it and won't miss the lower 120mm, and you're willing to be, erm, let's say flexible on the definition of "light-weight" then the 200-500 AF-S 5.6E is less than half the price of the 80-400, definitely weighs less than a car battery, and as a result potentially becomes a better value proposition.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Z8 showed up today and it's neat. I'm convinced that a lilliputian wizard lives right above the battery compartment and drives the auto focus using magic. Sure there are people who poo poo the Z8/9 auto focus as nothing special but coming from a D800 and Z7 it's a freaking revelation.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

toggle posted:

I really love that 24-70 f/4. It's very sharp! Also, :homebrew:!

Nikon also just released v4 firmware for the Z9. Some cool additions, I really like the lower ISO for N-Log.. and the new shutter sound options. No kitty cat meowing shutters though :(

https://nikonrumors.com/2023/06/12/major-nikon-z9-firmware-update-version-4-00-released.aspx/

Is it just preloaded sounds from Nikon? Seems like the burst rate would be a perfect match for a custom clip of Scatman John.

Dropped my Z8: Forgot that my strap was attached to the lens only with no backup hooked on the body (like I should've hooked up right out of the box if I wasn't a dipshit) when I was swapping lenses. In the rain. On a muddy gravel path :suicide: The camera is fine but the sensor guard definitely saved the day and it makes me wonder why Nikon didn't put those on all their mirrorless bodies, or at least the Z7 II also.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Two new Z lenses from Nikon: 70-180mm F2.8 and 180-600mm F5.6-6.3 VR

dpreview posted:

The Nikkor Z 70-180mm F2.8

The Nikkor Z 70-180mm F2.8 is the third lens in Nikon's trio of affordable F2.8 zooms, joining the Z 17-28mm F2.8 and Z 28-75mm F2.8 zoom lenses in Nikon's lineup, and Nikon says it's optimal for applications like weddings, portraits, sports and video. On paper, like the other two lenses, it's strikingly similar to the specs of a recent Tamron lens. In this instance it's the Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD, though the Nikkor version uses a stepper motor, rather than the Tamron's linear actuator.

Its optical formula consists of 19 elements in 14 groups, including five ED elements, one Super ED element, and three aspherical elements. Nikon says it's about 40% smaller than its Z 70-200mm F2.8 zoom (albeit with slightly less reach at the telephoto end), and at 795g (1.75 lbs) it's about half the weight.

dpreview posted:

Nikkor Z 180-600mm F5.6-6.3 VR

The Nikkor Z 180-600mm F5.6-6.3 VR is the spiritual successor to Nikon's F-mount 200-500mm F5.6 lens. Its optical formula includes 25 elements in 17 groups, including six ED glass elements to reduce chromatic aberration. All that glass means it's a relatively hefty lens, coming in at 1955g (4.3 lbs), or 2140 (4.7lbs) with the supplied tripod foot.

It features an internal zoom mechanism, nine aperture blades, and two custom function buttons. To better support video use, the lens includes a click-less control ring and suppresses focus breathing when shooting video. A stepping motor provides quiet autofocus.

The lens supports up to 5.5 stops of vibration reduction and has a minimum focus distance of 1.3m (4.3 ft) at the wide end. The zoom ring has a short, 70-degree throw, allowing for quick zooming between extreme focal lengths. The 180-600mm F5.6-6.3 VR is compatible with Nikon's TC-1.4x and TC-2.0x teleconverters, allowing for a reach of up to 1200mm. Nikon describes the lens as dust and drip resistant.

So the replacement for the F 200-500 5.6E has arrived: It got a little lighter, a little longer, picked up some extra range, and the zoom mechanism is all internal so no more dust pumping. Looks like it also picked up the short zoom ring throw from the Z 100-400 which is nice.

dpreview posted:

The Nikkor Z 180-600mm F5.6-6.3 VR will be available in August at a price of $1699 and the Nikkor Z 70-180mm F2.8 will be available from mid-July for $1249.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Recall for some Z8s because of a "rare" scenario where a lens cannot be locked into place during mounting:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-advisories/technical-service-advisory-for-users-of-the-nikon-z-8-cameras.html

Nikon posted:

Technical Service Advisory for users of the Nikon Z 8 Cameras

Thank you for choosing Nikon for your photographic needs.

Users of the Z 8 camera have informed us that in some rare cases, a lens cannot be mounted on the camera because the lens cannot be rotated to the locked position.

Based on our investigation into the matter, it has become clear that this issue may occur with Z 8 cameras. We have identified a range of Z 8 camera serial numbers with which the issue may occur and will address the issue as follows.

Nikon will repair affected Z 8 cameras at no cost to the customer, including the cost of shipping affected Z 8 cameras to Nikon, as well as their return to customers, even if the warranty has expired.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Identifying Affected Products and Requesting Service

To check whether or not your Z 8 camera is one of those affected by this issue, click Affected Product Serial Numbers below and enter your Z 8 camera’s serial number as indicated.

> Affected Product Serial Numbers

If your Z 8 camera is one of those affected, instructions for requesting service, including receiving your free return shipping label, will be displayed onscreen. If your Z 8 camera is not one of those affected, then this will be displayed onscreen and you may continue using your camera without concern for this issue.

Locating Your Z 8 Camera’s Serial Number

To locate your Z 8 camera’s serial number, open the camera's monitor on the back of the camera and the product serial number will be the 7-digit number printed on a label affixed to the camera body as indicated by the red frame in the image above.

Please understand that Nikon will collect personally identifiable information as necessary to facilitate the service and shipping of affected Z 8 cameras. This information will not be used for any other purpose.

Once again, thank you for choosing Nikon for your photographic needs.

Mine's on the poo poo list, welp :marc:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

More Z8 doom and gloom: Some people are reporting the camera strap anchors are failing.

https://petapixel.com/2023/07/17/several-nikon-z8-owners-are-reporting-broken-or-loose-strap-lugs/

Petapixel posted:

Photographer Bart Ros explains in a private Nikon Z8 Facebook group that they were shooting an event in early July with their Nikon Z8 camera, alongside Peak Design’s popular anchors and strap.

“The anchor point on the camera broke. And the body fell. And it does not turn on anymore. Something audible is broken inside the body. But there is no external damage,” writes the photographer.

“Nikon plans to check it during the mount recall,” Ros says. He received a brand new Z8 under his warranty and is “happy with the service” but unhappy with the build quality of the Z8 so far.

While Ros’ unfortunate incident may be rare so far, it is not unique. Another Nikon Z8 group member, Ling Boon Kok, posted a photo of someone in China having a similar issue of the strap attachment lug detaching from the Z8 body.

“Well, this is possibly evidence of one case in China. Will wait for US tech support to let us know if it is really an issue,” replies Christina Brittain.

Fellow commenter John Ktistis says this is the third instance of the lug issue he has seen online.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

And there's the strap lug recall:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2188257634/nikon-acknowledges-z8-strap-lug-failures-and-offers-repair

quote:

Nikon has acknowledged the stories of Z8 strap lug failure and said it will repair units in the affected serial number range.

The company says it received reports of problems with the metal strap eyelets on some cameras and has discovered that they: 'may become loose or separate from the camera body... this issue may occur if a Z 8 camera strap eyelet is subjected to conditions such as a strong impact or continuous heavy stress.'

Nikon Rumors reports a Z6/Z7 III isn't pending but instead a Zf is being cooked up using a new sensor. Can't find it now but there was also a newer rumor that the Zf would have Nikon's first pixel shifting implementation.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

is it gonna be like three grand or something

e. wait this is the crop frame right? the Zfc is like $1100 and the Z38 is $800 or so? So it should be in a similar price point?

Full frame, somewhere around a 25 MP sensor that isn't shared with the Z6, and supposedly around $2000 for body only. No new lenses will be released along side it but a kit with the Z 40mm f/2 SE is expected.

This all via NikonRumors so who really knows, but they did get the details about the Z8 and Z 180-600mm pretty close to reality before they dropped.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Oh so Zfc is c=crop frame so the Zf (no c) is full frame OK I get it
although it's bizarre that a Zfc exists way ahead of the Zf, isn't it?

I'm constantly forgetting all the arcane alphabet soup of Nikons, even the poo poo my own camera is and isn't compatible with, it's just too much.

I think the Zfc is just a Z50 in a different body? Apparently the retro thing makes enough money for Nikon to return to the well once in a while.

The Zf is getting a new sensor and pixel shifting so it's more than a Z6 body swap. Supposedly the body won't have a full on grip but a grip-ish nub like the Df. I've never held a Zfc but it seems like the total lack of a grip would make it ergonomically unpleasant to use with anything bigger than a small prime lens.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Since we're past Dxx anything into Z land maybe a new thread title?

"The Nikon Thread: Retro style costs a card slot and controls"
"The Nikon Thread: The Z8 strap is your hands lol"
"The Nikon Thread: NO IT ISN'T A TAMRON SHUT UP"

Anyways Z9 and Z8 got some x.01 firmware updates that are each just minor bug fixes.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/616/Z_8.html
https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/589/Z_9.html

Nikon and Adorama say the Z 180-600 will ship on August 30th while B&H Photo says September 30th :shrug:

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 25, 2023

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

:wtc: is up with Z 180-600 pre-orders? Did someone at BHPhoto piss off Nikon?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

huhu posted:

Anyone have the 1.4x or 2x Nikon Z teleconverter? I've got the 100-400 lens and I'm curious how it'd feel at 200-800.

I just watched this video

And his claim is that a cropped photo, with lower ISO, shot with the 100-400 is going to be better than a 200-800 photo. $600 is pretty steep if there's not really a difference.

I have the Z 1.4 and the Z 100-400 although I haven't used them together very much so far. Hair guy isn't wrong in the assertion that a teleconverter is costing stops but he's also burying the idea that it's fine depending on use case because if he doesn't panic about this and make the molehill a mountain The Algorithm won't give him those sweet sweet views. Just like lenses it depends on what you're using it for and what you do with the shots. Good lord no one tell him about extension tubes for macro.

My 1.4 is mostly sitting around waiting for the 180-600 to show up. Here are some shots I was able to find where it was on with the 100-400, I'll go pop it on and try to snag a few later today or tomorrow and post them:

Beyond losing stops I would agree with him that it introduces some softness which is something to consider.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

1/100 F8 ISO 400 across the board. Z8 body produced uncropped JPEGs on "normal". Apologies that I nudged the tripod head a bit between the pairs:

100-400 w/ 1.4 @ 140mm
100-400 /w 1.4 @ 560mm
100-400 @ 140mm
100-400 @ 400mm

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 18, 2023

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

404notfound posted:

While I wait for the Zf, is there a good and up-to-date list of all the Z-mount lenses, including third-party? I'm not expecting to go out and replace all my F-mount stuff, but it'd be nice to know my options for upgrading, or filling in the gaps (never did get around to replacing my busted gray market Tamron macro—which I didn't know was gray market when I got it :negative:)

https://photographylife.com/nikon-z-lens-roadmap

The chart on this page is dated for June but it's still accurate today with the possible exception of the 135mm prime. It's not clear if the 135mm Plena that was announced earlier in the week is supposed to occupy that spot or if another S lens is in the works. Further down the page they also list some auto-focus third party lenses.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Nikon to announce the Nikkor Z 600mm f/6.3 PF this week: https://cameratimes.org/confirmed-nikon-nikkor-z-600mm-f-6-3-pf-lens-coming-on-october-10th/

Nikon has also stated they will no longer provide lens release roadmaps.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

First rumblings of another new Nikon Z body showing up. Nikon Rumors suspects this will be the Z6 III:

https://nikonrumors.com/2023/12/12/breaking-news-first-set-of-rumored-nikon-z6iii-camera-specifications.aspx/

Nikon Rumors posted:

It seems that the previously rumored high-speed mirrorless camera will be a new Nikon Z6III. Here are the rumored specifications:

- Nikon Z6III expected in early 2024 (in Q1, between January and April)
- New 24.5 MP BSI sensor
- Better ergonomics compared to the Z6
- 6K ProRes RAW video support
- Pixel-shift
- Vari–angle LCD screen
- Higher fps than Z6II
- Nikon Z8 or similar focusing system
- Mechanical & electronic shutter
- Hybrid body design between the Z6 and Z8 (bigger than the current Z6/7 but smaller than the Z8)

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Find a deal on a used but good 70-200 f/2.8 with VR/OS. It's a perfect lens for this use.

Brand new nikkor version is $$$$ but I sometimes find the Sigma f-mount 70-200mm F2.8 DG HSM OS on eBay for like 600 from reputable sellers. The "Sports" edition is nice but hefty.

I had one of these from way back in 2012 and it was a great lens. Its only real fault was the bokeh got distressingly wild if the background had a lot high contrast lines. The newer variants are probably even better and can also be tuned with that USB dock thingy.

Nikon Rumors posted some more honed in details on the forthcoming Z6 III:

quote:

6k60 NRAW, 4k120 (crop), 4k60 full ProRes RAW
New higher resolution EVF: 5.76m dot
Improved LCD
20fps still RAW (14bit)
120fps stills jpeg
1/16000 shutter speed
299 points AF
8-stop VR (same system as the Nikon Zf)
CFexpress+SD memory cards
PSAM Dial
Camera body size and overall dimension are similar to the Nikon Z6II: 3-5mm longer width becuase of the LCD hinge and a few mm thicker
The overall height (bottom to the EVF) remains the same but the actual camera is 2-3mm taller
The grip button layouts and design look similar to the Nikon Z8 apart from the command dial which is the same as the Z6II
All other button layouts are the same as the Z6II
The Z6III logo is on the top, just like on the Z8/Z9
Z logo in the front is also like the Z8 but below the current Z6II focus sensor
The Z6III body overall is about 30-40g heavier than the Z6II
The Z6III body inherits the design from the Z8 – this is why a few months ago I reported it as a mini-Z8 (the Nikon Z6III is a mini Z8, the Nikon Z8 was a mini Z9)
Battery EN-EL15
A few other features from Z8 and Zf are also coming to Z6III but I do not have the details yet

They also mention that Nikon has registered another new camera body but there's no details about what it will be.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Nikon Z8 firmware update 2.00 is here and oh lawdy it's a chonker:

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/514.html

quote:

■ Still Photography

• Added [Pixel shift shooting] to the photo shooting menu.
• Added new picture controls.
• Added [Birds] to [AF subject detection options] in the photo shooting menu.
• The maximum shooting display zoom ratio is now 400%.
• Added [Auto capture] to the photo shooting menu. Users can select capture criteria from [Motion] (the direction the subject is moving), [Distance] (how far the subject is from the camera), and [Subject detection] (whether or not a subject of a given type is detected), and the camera will take photographs automatically while it detects subjects that meet the selected criteria. Note that [Distance] is available with NIKKOR Z lenses and may not function as expected when used with other lenses. The [FX (36×24)] and [DX (24×16)] image areas are available with auto capture.
• The length of time the camera will continue to buffer frames before cancelling shooting during the Pre-Release Capture phase of high-speed frame capture + has been increased from 30 to 300 seconds.
• Added [Large] to the size options available for [Secondary slot function] > [JPEG primary - JPEG secondary] in the photo shooting menu.
• Added new bracketing increments for use during auto bracketing with [AE & flash bracketing], [AE bracketing], or [Flash bracketing] selected for [Auto bracketing set]. This change also applies to [Interval timer shooting] > [Options] > [AE bracketing] > [Increment].

■ Video Recording

• Added new picture controls.
• Added [Birds] to [AF subject detection options] in the video recording menu.
• The maximum shooting display zoom ratio is now 400%.
• Added [Auto capture] to the video recording menu. Users can select capture criteria from [Motion] (the direction the subject is moving), [Distance] (how far the subject is from the camera), and [Subject detection] (whether or not a subject of a given type is detected), and the camera will record video automatically while it detects subjects that meet the selected criteria. Note that [Distance] is available with NIKKOR Z lenses and may not function as expected when used with other lenses. The [FX] and [DX] image areas are available with auto capture.
• Added low ISO sensitivity options to [ISO sensitivity settings] > [ISO sensitivity (mode M)] for use during N-Log video recording.
• Changed the range of speeds available for Hi-Res Zoom.
• Added slow-motion video recording.

■ Playback

• Added [Playback speed] in the video playback “i” menu.
• Added [Auto image rotation] in the playback menu.
• Added [Auto series playback options] to [Series playback] in the playback menu.
• Made changes to the [Select for upload to computer] and [Select for upload (FTP)] items in the playback “i” menu and added [Select for priority upload to computer] and [Select for priority upload (FTP)].

■ Controls

• Added [Half-press to cancel zoom (MF)] item to the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU] in positions d18 and g17.
• Added [Focus point border width] to a11 [Focus point display] in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU].
• Changes have been made to how a full format is performed with [Format memory card] in the [SETUP MENU].
• White balance and exposure compensation can now be adjusted while recalling the shooting function settings.
• Added support for the power zoom feature on power zoom lenses.
• Added an [Exposure delay mode] item to the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU] in position d6.
• Added to the custom controls and roles assignable via the following items in the [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU]. New reset options have also been added.
- f2[Custom controls (shooting)]
- f3[Custom controls (playback)]
- g2[Custom controls]
Choose [Prefer focus point] or [Prefer focus point (face priority)] for f3 [Custom controls (playback)] > [Main command dial] or [Sub-command dial] > [Frame advance zoom position].
The settings for f3 [Custom controls (playback)] > [Main command dial] or [Sub-command dial] > [Frame advance] can now be applied during playback zoom.
• Made updates to [Non-CPU lens data] in the [SETUP MENU].
• Increased the character limit from 3 to 256 for “Category” entries in IPTC presets.
• Restructured the [Camera sounds] item in the [SETUP MENU] with the addition of new options, including new sounds and volume level adjustment for the electronic shutter.

■ Displays

• Added focus-distance information to the focus distance indicator displayed during manual focus.
• The option selected for [Viewfinder display size] (formerly [Finder display size (photo Lv)]) in the [SETUP MENU] now also applies in video and playback modes.

■ Network (Also NX Field)

• A warning now appears when the connection to an ATOMOS AirGlu BT accessory is unstable or disrupted.
• ATOMOS AirGlu BT accessories and MC-N10 remote grips can now be used together.
• Made changes and additions to the [Connect to FTP server] item in the [NETWORK MENU].
• Changed the procedure used when configuring the camera for synchronized release, increasing to twenty the number of groups that can be created, while the number of cameras in each group that can be controlled from the master camera has been increased to sixteen.
• Added [Overwrite copyright info] under [Connect to other cameras] in the [NETWORK MENU].

■ App-Related Changes
With NX MobileAir:

• the camera live view display for photo mode now shows NX MobileAir status, and
• camera settings saved to a memory card using [Save/load menu settings] can now be downloaded to the smart device or copied from the smart device to the camera memory card using NX MobileAir.

■ Other Changes

• The time the shooting display goes dark after shutter is released when [ON] is selected for [Photo flicker reduction] in the [PHOTO SHOOTING MENU] has become shorter.
• Improved the accuracy of [3D-tracking] for small, fast-moving subjects when [Auto], [People], [Animal], or [Vehicle] is chosen for [AF subject detection options] and no subject of the selected type is detected.
• Improved focus lock-on with flicker detection in low-speed continuous release mode.
• Made other improvements to the autofocus operation and its reliability.
• Fixed an issue that sometimes resulted in the viewfinder darkening during playback when [Auto] was selected for [Viewfinder brightness].
• It is now easier to obtain the correct exposure from the first shot during interval-timer photography in high-contrast settings or settings dark enough for starlight view.
• The histogram display is no longer available when starlight view is enabled.
• Changed the video low-capacity warning so that it is now displayed in white on a red background when there is less than one minute remaining. The warning is now also displayed when recording is not in progress.
• Users now have more precise control when scrolling through videos during playback using the progress bar.
• When [AF-area mode] is set to [3D-tracking] and the human subject is large relative to the frame and multiple eyes are detected near the tracking focus point, the camera will assign priority for focusing to the eye closer to the point.
• The RGB histogram is now easier to view when [Mode 1] or [Mode 2] is selected for d11 [Warm display colors] in [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU].
• Fixed the following issues:
- Photos taken with interval-timer photography could sometimes be underexposed.
- Flash may not sometimes fire during focus shift.
- The focus position unintentionally returned to the position saved using [Save focus position] if standby timer was expired while power was supplied via USB and a WR-R10 was attached.
- Optimal exposure could sometimes not achieved in burst or focus shift shooting.
- Pressing the AF-ON button immediately ended playback when [Playback] was assigned to [AF-ON button] and [Prioritize viewfinder (2)] was selected for monitor mode.
- Shutter release was sometimes disabled when “Bulb” was selected for shutter speed.
- Focus point selection using the multi selector and sub-selector was unavailable if a touch operation was performed using [Position focus point] when [3D-tracking] was selected for AF-area mode.
- Fine-tuning values set in [AF fine-tuning options] in the setup menu did not apply while the subject is detected with [Wide-area AF (S)], [Wide-area AF (L)], [Wide-area AF (C1)], or [Wide-area AF (C2)] selected for [AF-area mode].

Auto capture is back on the menu after being quietly yanked off of it. And a new surprise feature out of left field: Pixel shifting!

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

The pixel shifting isn't done in-body and has to be handled via the Nikon NX software. Not sure if a Lightroom plugin could be introduced so things could be handled all in one spot?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Use DX to do insane experimental stuff and port the things that work up to FX. What that would be I dunno. M2 slots in bodies? Modular bodies allowing swappable EVFs, button pad layouts, even entire sensors built for different things like infrared or UV? Custom body cover parts so you can be that one guy with an RGB slathered body ruining everyone else's astronomy shots?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

But what will the shutter release sound be set to? Regardless of it being in a vacuum this is an important detail for historical records.

It better be a meow.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

When it comes to space dealing with known quantities and qualities is the best hence why the serial ports and what not. It's sort of surprising they didn't opt to send a pallet of hardened D70s up there versus a few modified Z9s.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/11/space-grade-cpus-how-do-you-send-more-computing-power-into-space/

Should be fun to see what the Nikon engineers come up with that'll probably show up in a Zx.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Z9 firmware 5.0 now available: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/516.html

Pretty long list of tweaks but I don't think they added anything big?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Why are they all Australian? Why?