Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

it's a nikon fe crossed with a pentax k-01.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, if it's got nikon's nice AF confirm you can probably skip the split prism pretty easily.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

Shitcamera of camera-around-the-world fame has a 16mb card. If you set it to medium jpeg (1Mpix) you get ~40 shots, otherwise it's only like 12.

12 shots too many.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I'm looking for some advice on purchasing my next body. I got a d5200 earlier this year for it's video capabilities. I hadn't planned on shooting photos again (I used to shoot film in high school/college, had a d40 many years ago) but having access to a good camera body got me interested in shooting photos again. Over time I've ended up with some decent lenses (nikon dx f1.8 35mm, nikon dx f2.8 17-55mm, nikon f2.8 70-200mm VR1) and I've really been itching to get a second body so I can have a body on both my 17-55 and 70-200 at all times so I don't have to take the time to switch bodies. Also, the menu system on the d5200 is a bit of a pain, I shot a bunch of photos on my mom's d700 over vacation and really liked having most of the controls on buttons instead of having to make multiple clicks through menus.

Considering the lenses I own, I've really been wanting to get a d7100. I have been tempted to go after something like the d610 but it's more expensive, and I only own one FX lens. I have been finding myself shooting events and product shots for friends recently, so I was wanting to upgrade a bit on the body. I have about $1000 to spend on a body, watching CL I see d7100's with low shutter counts for sale rarely for $900 obo. The d7100 seems to have many great reviews online. My question is do you guys think a new or lightly used d7100 would be a good choice or should I go after a different used or new body? I see you guys speak very highly of the d7000 and it's been tempting to pick one up as they are a bit cheaper.

The d7000 or d7100 are both great cameras and you can do everything through buttons still. Then again you can do basically everything through buttons on the d5x00 too, you just might be pushing 2 buttons at once.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Musket posted:

The sensor is the reason ffs, read a loving book.

So buy a d600 and be better off for it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Lets not forget that it doesn't have a split prism either.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

NikOWND

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

My D600 is really, really good at taking pictures of sensor dust.

You can do that with any camera with the right setup though.

I know :suicide:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

Got a 40mm f/2.8 Micro for Christmas. poo poo owns hard despite somewhat close working distance. The "fruity" thread tag, at 1:1 (MBP, hi-res-but-not-retina display).

psssh, put some tubes on that already.

Galaxy Nexus by MrDespair, on Flickr

and then mount it to a microscope :ssh:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

That's not why you use a grip - you use the grip for better ergonomics when shooting in portrait orientation.

I also have that lens and that body, I love it.

Nah, a long lens like that can be way easier on a gripped camera for smaller camera bodies. My om-d would be a nightmare to use with longer stuff if I didn't have the grip.

d7000 is already pretty big in the first place though

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Just reverse mount any old 50mm you have sitting around.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ehh, softpedia had the old 1.14 codec, which does still install.

I know I need to upgrade, it's just way, waaay down my list of priorities right now.

How does it feel to literally be an 80 year old grandma.

e. I shouldn't say that, my 80 year old grandma upgraded from xp years ago.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

No reason, really.

The 180 ED loving owns.

P9160362.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P9160310.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P9160161.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

1st AD posted:

I thought news departments were firing their photographers and handing out high MP cell phone cameras to reporters anyways :v:

High MP? They dont' need no stinking megapixels.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

flongofthenight posted:

The problem was the card reader saying all cards were corrupt, and wouldn't format (that worked fine in card readers). It got soaked in a rain forest in Borneo so I thought it was corrosion or something. Took it to a Nikon repair centre here in Mexico City, and they just said "it's too old to repair, just buy another card just in case it's that".

Went wandering around the little repair shops in the centre and found a guy who opened it up and reset the pins in the CF slot, gave it an amazing clean too! Whole thing cost around $50 in the end, and works great again! 12 years later, and this camera has been through a lot .....

That sounds almost exactly like what I did with my Sigma...

P3110007.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'd ditch the 18-55 and 50mm and find a used tamron 17-05, or just upgrade your sony body and keep using those lenses. You're spending a lot of money to switch systems and get an older camera with similar lenses!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Sludge Tank posted:

Need some help relatively urgently.
Guy here at work (on ship) has old Nikon D100, told me has sensor dust asked me if I could clean it.
I had some sensor cleaning fluid and swabs in my kit bag. I used blower then fluid/swabs and cleaned his sensor in the exact same way which I had successfully cleaned my 5D 2 many times in the past. However, after running the swab across the sensor, it left some really bad streaking where the edge of the swab ran. What the gently caress. I dunno if it makes a difference but the ship's environment is very, very dry. It looks like the poo poo is just not drying off properly for whatever reason.
Can't go out and buy more swabs now because there aren't any camera stores for about 4000 nautical miles and we're going ashore in a couple of days and this guys is really going to want his camera to be working properly.

Any way I can rectify this problem? Now I only have 2 used cleaning swabs and the sensor cleaning solution. The streaking across the sensor obviously leaves horrible streaks across his images. Pls halp!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

MrBlandAverage posted:

Today, Sludge Tank learns that "a drop" is not a standardized measurement.

actually a metric drop is 50 microliters, but I somehow doubt that anyone in this thread is actually using standardized units when measuring out their drops.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

-CHA posted:

Good thing I came into this thread. You guys answered most of my questions about the D7100 without me even having to ask them.

I've pretty much decided to get a used D7100 plus a couple lenses as a step up from the Nex 3-N I use now. Reading about the buffer sounded like it might have been an issue, but, I've never found myself using the continuous shooting for more than a couple shots. Usually I only take about four shots in a row at most. So im guessing that it will never be an issue with me.

I read that Nikon has removed the optical low-pass filter from some of their newer models, including the D7100. Is this something that I should be concerned about or is the absence of the filter actually better. Im afraid I don't know too much about that filter to fully understand its impact on image quality.

It's generally better, but you may have increased moire in certain situations. For the average person it's an improvement though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

When I'm in Program mode with my D3200, the wheel on the back of the camera controls aperture. Am I doing it wrong?

If you're in program mode I think it'll actually be cycling aperture and shutter speed together (basically running through all the pairs of settings that will yield a proper exposure, as determined by the camera).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Geoff Zahn posted:

Uh, anything shady or odd about this d7200 kit through Ritz? I thought it was a refurbished model but I can't see anything. The fact that its $200 cheaper than the body only version made me wonder what was up: http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/N...BBZnxoCE5Pw_wcB

that note about it being an import model probably means that it's grey market, so good luck if you need to send it in to nikon directly for any work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

wow do we ever need a new thread title

It and the OP are perfect and will never change (just like Nikon and Canon camera lines)