Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If you shoot Nikon crop and you don't have a 35, you might want to get checked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

There's also keh.com if you want to check out some cheaper used lenses. Their rating systems are very conservative as well. You could also use 35mm Nikon lenses (AI and up), but you won't get autofocus and/or metering. No autofocus because those lenses use the screw-drive to do the focussing and your D3200 doesn't have that (D7100 and up), and no metering if they do not have the electronics inside.

Also, because Nikon is weird, their macro lenses are called micro.

On keh:
The 40mm micro is $205 for an EX lens
60mm looks to be $245 for an EX lens
85mm: $364 for an EX

Basically ken rockwell's thought process consists of:

- You should buy this, it is the best thing in the world
- I'm a professional photographer and if you want to be a professional too do what I do.
- Everything I do is the best thing in the world because I do it. Did I mention that I'm a professional photographer?
- My opinion is the most important opinion. I'm a professional photographer.
- My gear is the best gear in the world, because I am a professional photographer.

The only thing he's said that is completely true is his advice not to listen to any photographer who doesn't show off his portfolio. Mostly because it applies to him. Pictures he takes? Always a palm tree, pictures of his kids, and the headlight of his car. Basically nothing else.

He's also posted reviews of newly released products which nobody has used yet. Like the new Nikon D3300, before he edited it, was a copy paste of his D3200 article with 3200 replaced with 3300. Already has his opinion and his thoughts shooting with it, even though nobody outside of Nikon had used it at that point.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Unless it specifically says so, it is body only. The only time you get a lens is if you buy it as a camera outfit or as a kit.

Also KEH's bgn grade is pretty loving great, and it only gets better from there. I've purchased a few bgn things, and they all function 100%, the glass is perfect or nearly perfect, but you can tell it has been used. It's also cheap.

KEH also has deals where you can save a bit if you buy the lens with a body.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The 35 1.8g is a great lens you should buy one even at regular price ($200ish)

Here it is for $197 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/606792-USA/Nikon_2183_AF_S_Nikkor_35mm_f_1_8G.html

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The 35 1.8g is better wide open than the 50 1.8d is.

However the 35 is not stunning wide open and they both have awful bokeh.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

That nifty 50 Should work, it's an AF-D lens.

For the 35, your option is basically the 35mm f2. It's also AF-D.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Places like bestbuy will also have lenses available to try.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Musket posted:

Wont be shocked if best buy tells him to gently caress off. They have made it pretty known they are sick of window shoppers. They would assume hes just looking to go buy it on his smart phone via amazon. Then again, thats assuming the wageslave undergrade/drop out gives a gently caress.

The company might care, but the wage slaves don't give a single gently caress. None whatsoever.

Worst case scenario:
:v: I want to try out this lens before I buy it.
:butt: Here you go
:v: It isn't what I want, bye

Pretty sure bestbuy price matches too, and they should have the 35 1.8 as well.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The G means it doesn't have the aperture ring. Which means that if you have an old film camera, you can't adjust the aperture.

The 35mm lenses you are talking about:
35mm f/1.4G: You don't want this one. It's good but as mentioned it's $1600. It's a full frame lens.
35mm f/1.8G DX: You want this one.
35mm f/1.8G FX: You don't want this one. There is no point in buying this one for a DX camera.
35mm f/2 AF-D: You don't want this one. It won't autofocus on your D3200 (since the lens doesn't have an autofocus motor and the body doesn't have the screw autofocus)
35mm f/2 AF: Same as the AF-D version. Don't buy this one.

With your D3200, you want AF-S "G" lenses. If it doesn't have a motor inside, it won't autofocus.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Is it worth it to upgrade from my d90 to the d7000? The 7000 is about 600 dollars, and the high ISO performance and af zones should be an improvement.

I mostly shoot street at night and general touristy poo poo.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The main thing I'm worried about with the D7000 over my D90 is that the D7200 may come out soon and the D7100 will drop in price to D7000 levels very quickly.

Current D7000 prices here work out to about $650 USD (4500hkd or so), and D7100 prices work out to about $1000 USD (7000hkd)

Of course I know that buying in HK means no warranty (since I don't live here).

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The G has no aperture ring, and different optical design (7 elements in 6 groups, with 1 aspherical) from the D (6 elements in 5 groups, with no aspherical)

The G and D have multicoating
The non-D does not

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I always go by "do I like the way this looks" and "do I want to spend anymore time on it"

If the answer is yes and no, then I'm done.

Workflow usually goes:
- profile correction
- switch from adobe rgb to camera neutral
- crop, rotate, etc
- exposure
- sharpen, masking, luminence
- highlights
- lights, darks, shadows
- clarity, vibrence, saturation
- export

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Even the us military has moved on past xp.

The military.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Honestly I would wait.

Rumors of a D7200, and also that $889 is only $100 less than the regular price of the D7100 body non-refurbished, and any kind of repair outside of your 90 days of warranty will definitely negate any savings.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Wasn't the D2X the one that everyone hated, or am I mistakening that for another one (D2Hs? D2?)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

So instead of making a camera that some people (read: I) want, a d300s replacement, they go ahead and make yet another fx body.

Then they continue to not release any crop body wide angle lenses, but instead they go and make a new superzoom.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The pro body construction and weathersealing, the pro body buttons, and the big buffer.

I don't spray and pray but 6 shots in burst is just terrible.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

What about the 24-85 f3.5-4.5 (or the older f2.8-4)

There's also the 28-70 f2.8 but $$$

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I thought he was pretty right about the 80-200 f4 ai-s.

Under a hundred bucks, and despite being manual focus and no metering on my d90, it's sharp and good.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

WugLyfe posted:

Neat, grabbed one from Keh. I think I'm also going to pick up the Nikon version of my beloved Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, but I'm always in need of a good quality macro or portrait lens.

Anything with a wide (wider than f/2) aperture I should know about?

Thanks again for the replies :)

I love the 85mm f1.8g. It's amazing.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Nikon's lacking in cheap primes. There's no cheap modern 24mm or 35mm; there's the old 24mm f2.8D, and the newish 35mm f1.8G for $600 (the $200 version is for crop)

50mm f1.8D: $100
50mm 1.8G: $200
85mm f1.8G: $450

For just over your budget though you could probably pick up a 24-70 f2.8 and the 85mm f1.8g.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

These are the 3 I'm looking at. Why did you bold the D in the old 24? The reviews look solid. Also, I'm looking at the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G SIC SW Prime AF-S for my 50, but what's with the weird name? That is the FX 50 1.4 right?

Yup the 50 1.4g is a full frame 50. In fact all the nikon 50's are, whether it's 1.8d, 1.4d, 1.8g, 1.4g, 58mm, etc.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Yes all lenses will fit on all bodies.

however, AFS-D and a few early G lenses will not have autofocus on your d3100 body. Those use the screw drive autofocus, while the newer G lenses use a built in motor.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Zooms make you lazy

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

What body do you have?

D3xxx and D5xxx don't have the autofocus motor so you don't get autofocus with the 50mm f1.8D ($100), limiting you to the G ($200).

D7xxx has the autofocus motor so you can use the D or the G.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I have a d90.

Buy the d7000, and you get everything the d90 does but every single thing is better.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Also older lenses won't autofocus on the 5300. Things like the 50 1.8d don't have internal motors so it depends on your body's motor. The 5300 doesn't have the motor.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

My favorite part is that they took out the gps, so in addition to the price raise, you also have to buy the gps module that sticks out

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

You could pick up a used Nikon 14mm f2.8 for that.

It is a good lens

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I like the 85 1.8g very much. I find it to be sharp and the autofocus to be decent.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

135f2dc

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I use the 35 more on crop than everything else combined.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

powderific posted:

I feel like I need a standard zoom of some kind. I've rented the Tamron 24-70, Nikon 28-20, and Nikon 24-120 for various projects. The Nikon 24-70 2.8 is too expensive for my tastes. I'm split somewhat evenly between photo and video so the aperture ring on the 28-70 would be handy, as would the IS on the 24-120. The Tamron's IS is essentially worthless for video in my experience. The 24-120 I rented was a bitch to manually focus because the ring is narrow and on that particular copy it felt a little grabby (not sure if this is generally the case.)

None of them are all that ideal, but only having primes is getting in my way on shoots where I need to move fast. Anyone have opinions on these three? Right now I'm leaning towards the 28-70.

24-85 f2.8-4D sounds like it's what you need. It has an aperture ring.
24-85 f3.5-4.5g without IS, or with IS: It's okay. It's not super, though.

Just make sure to skip the 24-120 f3.5-5.6g.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

85 1.8g is really good. The 135f2dc is too. So is the d810. The 70-200 2.8 isn't as good as the L though.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

If it's fast and long, it's going to be big.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

404notfound posted:

What's some reasonably cheap older glass (e.g., AI-S through AF-D) that might still be worth considering? I've got a 105/3.54 macro already that works well enough, but now that I'm on full-frame, I might as well take better advantage of Nikon's legacy F-mount and the FF-oriented focal lengths.

All of them.

(135f2dc, 180mm 2.8 ais, 24mm f2.8d)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

They're all at used d7000/7100 prices, and with a 7000/7100 you get a second command dial, the ability to autofocus D lenses, 100% viewfinder, a beefier body, etc.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

what do you want to do with a new camera that you can't do with the 7000 now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I love that the power switch is attached to the shutter button, because you can just pull it out with one hand and be shooting 11 fps bursts before you've even raised it to your eye