Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho
I have a Nikon FE that's having the same problem described on Ken Rockwell's website.

Ken Rockwell posted:

I did see one that wouldn't always work at the top speeds. If set to 1/1,000 manually, or if the auto exposure setting wanted a high speed, it would flip up the mirror and hang. To unhang it, you needed to turn the shutter dial to M90 and try again. Oddly, that sample of camera would get better with use, and get worse if left unused.

My problem is similar, but a little different. If I try to use the camera in manual or auto exposure the mirror flips and "hangs." As far as I can tell the shutter curtain doesn't even move, but just the mirror. However, if I put it in M90 mode it works perfectly as an auto exposure camera. I'm sad because I've only owned this camera for a year but it is essentially mint. I bought it from a guy whose dad found it in the closet and said probably only a dozen or so roles of film were ever put through it.

Anybody ever had a similar problem? I live in the Minneapolis area and can't find a Nikon repair place that still fixes the manual focus cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/13/for-tonight-200-price-drop-on-the-d800-free-24-85mm-lens-with-the-purchase-of-the-d600.aspx/#more-50272

Nikon Rumors is reporting a free kit 24-85 kit lens with the purchase of a D600 body. I wonder if this is temporary or a permanent price drop?

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho
If anybody has a Costco membership this is pretty drat good.

http://www.costco.com/Nikon-D600-Full-Frame-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100012382.html

D600, 24-85, 70-300, wireless adapter, cheap bag, and a 32gb SD card all for under $2,400 before tax. I know it's better to support a local camera store, but drat if that isn't a good deal. It's available in store in my area too.

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho

BANME.sh posted:

I noticed the 50mm has a very "zoomed in" look, but everywhere I read said that 50mm lenses are the most natural looking so I figured that's normal. Though that's not true for a crop sensor camera like mine? And I'd get a better "natural" look from a ~30mm (35mm?) lens instead? It's not a huge deal, I'd just like to know what's going on. Thanks for the replies.

The only way to get a truly "natural" perspective is through this lens.

Nothing else will do.

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho

Tusen Takk posted:

So, here are my [terrible] attempts at using the Nikon F3. Most of them are shaky, blurry, or over-exposed, and I think it may be half from the ISO 400 film that I used (the only film I could find, my dad said he used to shoot with ISO 100 and swore by it) and half from my lighting/aperature setting. For the most part, I left it at 4, but occasionally I'd switch it to 32 just to see what happens.

Thoughts?

The film speed shouldn't make your photos overexposed, blurry, or shaky if you expose it properly. If anything 400 speed film will give you an advantage over 100 because it can be used in lower light and allows for faster shutter speeds. This isn't my photo, but while 400 speed film is grainier than 100 speed, it should still expose nicely.

On point by Andre Guerette, on Flickr

I suggest reading "Understanding Exposure" as suggested above.

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho
Should we be expecting a D400, or is this really going to be the top of the line DX model for Nikon? As a D7000 owner I just can't get very excited about the D7100. Nikon Rumors thinks the D300s and D7000 have been merged to make this, but I feel like Nikon would still benefit from having heavy duty DX camera like the D200-D300.

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho
Any updates on the D600 dirty sensor issue? Mostly, are recent new or refurbished cameras still affected? I'm thinking about upgrading but don't want to deal with the hassles I heard of.

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho

Legitimate Pape posted:

Any updates on the D600 dirty sensor issue? Mostly, are recent new or refurbished cameras still affected? I'm thinking about upgrading but don't want to deal with the hassles I heard of.

Just gonna bump this. I find conflicting information all over online.

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho

Musket posted:

The only tool that will 100% read NEF files with Nikon Picture Control settings like ADL/LNR and NPC Color settings is *barf* Capture NX.

They are saved into the jpg data. Shoot jpg (dont, nikon sucks at jpg).

I dunno, I like the jpgs my D600 puts out for everyday snap shots. It saves me time in lightroom if I expose them right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho
I had the little sister, the 105 F2, for two years and it was awesome. I only sold it because it was a one trick pony. Slow focusing and inconvenient unless shooting portraits, but it was insanely perfect for shooting people.