Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’ve had a D600 for 5-6 years now and while it’s my baby, I’m finally fed up with the blah autofocus as my kids grow faster and less patient to pose for photos. I’m thinking about picking up a used D750. For those who have shot with both is the D750 a big upgrade as the reviews indicate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

I’ve had a D600 for 5-6 years now and while it’s my baby, I’m finally fed up with the blah autofocus as my kids grow faster and less patient to pose for photos. I’m thinking about picking up a used D750. For those who have shot with both is the D750 a big upgrade as the reviews indicate?

Man, this thread moves slowly. Is it worth it?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
If tempted to go from a D750 to D780, think of the glass you could get with that money instead. Two years from now the D780 should be $800 cheaper new with used also available on the market and Nikon will have worked out any kinks.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’ve shot a D3 for about eight years. Is a D4S a huge upgrade? There are many well below the $2000 mark and I could unload my D3 and upgrade for about $800-1000. Anyone have experience with both?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

larper posted:

bad buy cant use telaphoto lenses

Huh?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

frumpykvetchbot posted:

I own a D3s and a D4s both. (The D3s has so many shots on it that it makes no sense to try and sell it so it's now my stunt camera.) It's not a huge upgrade; the change in resolution is not a big deal but the D4s has noticeably richer shadow information and the autofocus is clearly improved. The XQD card slot is an evolutionary dead end but it works as a backup. Minor creature comforts - exposure and ISO mode selectors are nicer on the D4s.

I also own a D850 and I alternate between that and the D4s. I find the D850 has extremely accurate tone and color rendition and is good for nearly all purposes and my go-to studio camera. For night, street and event photography it tends to disappoint a little with the faded and digital appearance of artificial light sources like LED and neon colors which are outside of the gamut of its color filters. This is where the D4s shines, its colors looks as rich as oldtimey slide film and it is subjectively very attractive.

The attached illustration shows response from D850 and D4s to a little street altar with intense red LED lights. The D850 renders the LED highlights as fading into pale pink and then white but essentially no richer in color at any point than the painted red surrounding box. The D4s captures accurately that the LED red light source is far more intensely saturated than the painted red box. (Sorry this is off-topic for your D3 > D4s question. The D3 also handles artificial LED and neon colors very well.)

drat. Thank you for the detailed response. I’ve shot a number of Nikon bodies and the D3 has always been my favorite one for metering and color accuracy. Sounds Iike that’s carried into the other pro bodies.

Also I know xqd is a dead format, but man used D5 xqd bodies are cheap as hell, relatively. National Camera here in Sota has one with 8,000 clicks for $3,300. I wish I had the cash to blow on it.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Anyone know what the D500 SD slot write speed is? Like will it go as fast as the card’s max speed or is it nerfed at all?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Does high speed flash sync work with the goofy pop up on camera flash to speed light flash communication thingy?

God that was terrible wording. I have a D750 and a SB 700 and I’m wondering if I need a wireless communicator for high speed flash sync beyond the Nikon infrared thing if I’m only 5 feet away and doing basic studio stuff.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

frumpykvetchbot posted:

It worked fine on the D800.

But if you have a chance, give the Godox / Flashpoint stuff a try. I've completely converted my studio and field lights to this system. It is RF based and includes some cool and powerful strobes that are both cheap and works well with Nikon TTL (and also Canon and Sony.)

Good to know. One speedlight is enough for me for now, but I might consider Godex in the future.

powderific posted:

It’s called CLS and auto fp sync should work. Whether that’s enough for your needs maybe just test it out and see? Or we’re gonna need more info on what you’re trying to do. If it matters I don’t think you can have the pop up flash set to go and still do fp hss, they usually don’t have enough juice for fp sync.

I had tried it out and could not get it to work when I posted, but I have since been successful. Kinda cute for a first try.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Rise from your grave, Nikon thread.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Sagebrush posted:

I guess to take pictures you have to be leaving your house huh

Sigh. There is that.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I bought a D800 because drat they’re pretty cheap now. The whole Nikon F-Mount world is becoming a great bargain. Even going on a decade old the detail and dynamic range of that 36MP sensor is pretty nice.

I use it for landscapes. It really needs a tripod, mirror-up, and exposure delay to get sharp results with shutter speeds under 1/200.

I also picked up a D810 thinking I would sell the 800 and reap the benefits of ISO 64 and the smoother shutter/mirror mechanism, but so far I can’t decide if the 810 is really enough of an improvement to justify the extra (final) cost. I’m holding on to my Fuji mirrorless gear because of its excellent 4K, so the improved video quality of the D810 vs the D800 isn’t much of a consideration.

I need to do some testing on my own to try and see if there’s any effective difference for my usage, but the additional dynamic range provided by the D810 is kind of the big question for me. I could take or leave the AA filter... it seems like whatever extra fine detail the 810 appears to resolve gets really close to just being moire or aliasing most of the time, plus diffraction softening is more obvious.

I’m with you on the F Mount bargains. I picked up a used D4 locally and it only has around 85,000 clicks. Gotta unload my D3 now but should be able to still get a fair chunk of change for it. Also grabbed a couple AF-D lenses from a guy on Craigslist selling his deceased dad’s gear for next to nothing.

I guess the future is mirrorless but the value is increasingly in DSLRs.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I've shot a D500 a lot the past few months. It's insanely accurate with focus. I love the extra reach for wildlife photography. I have no complaints with performance and functionality. It's more responsive than my D4.

Despite my love of the feel of the camera, I can't shake that it's not full frame. I don't know if it's psychological or what, but having shot full frame since 2012, the D500 just feels... off. I'm not a pixel peeper, but the camera images feel a couple steps down compared to the full frame I've shot. Anything over ISO 800 looks bad, imo. Maybe I'm bonkers.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Leperflesh posted:

They're sold out today, but they do have a D500 in EX quality for $1216. I'm not going to just plow that money in on an impulse buy though, I can be patient. I've bought from KEH before, I like how they do things.

I've had good experiences with MPB and when they have a lot of something in stock they seem to drop the prices quite a bit. My friend recently got a D610 from there in Excellent condition and it only had around 5,000 shots on it. He said he watched for like two weeks and suddenly the price of Excellent D600s dropped like $200 one day and had "Recommended" plastered on the product page, presumably because they had a lot in stock. Might be worth seeing what they have.

edit: here's a D7500 with 132 shutter count lol. $769
https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equi...00/sku-1175600/

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 14, 2021

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I thought this was interesting.

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/05/12/nikon-is-slowly-discontinuing-more-nikkor-f-mount-lenses.aspx/

Someone in the comments claims that all AF-D lenses have been discontinued for manufacturing and Nikon will just sell what’s left in stock.

I guess it’s not surprising. Who is buying a new 24mm AF-D in 2021?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Are you no longer able to do what you want with what you have? How deep are you into a DSLR system?

I have 15 years invested into my F mount gear and the thought of spending (a lot) of money to get the equivalent of what I have in Z mount form is overwhelming. Instead I have my eye on a few F mount lenses that I hope will continue to drop in price on the used market.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Dren posted:

FTZ adapter exists

Doesn’t autofocus with D lenses.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Dren posted:

I figured when you said 15 years you’d mostly have AF-S lenses. welp.

I have a mix.

I just don’t have a reason to upgrade to mirrorless. I’m not a pro and my current kit does everything I need it to.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Holding out for the Z10.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Doggles posted:

Should the thread title change to The Z8 Will Literally Never Exist?

The Nikon Thread: Should I go Mirrorless or buy a used D3S?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
It is quite amazing how some pros just beat this poo poo out of their gear. I guess when someone else paid for it you can afford to not worry about resale.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
The D500 has officially been discontinued with no word on a replacement. RIP to a great camera and maybe Nikon DSLR development.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I know DSLR is becoming a 4-letter-word, but if you don’t see a Nikon mirrorless that does what you want for the price point, you could always get the 200-500 repaired and then sell the other three cameras in favor of one better wildlife/sports camera. If I remember correctly the D800E has pretty mediocre auto focus. Maybe trade the three in and get a D750 or a D500?

Nikon Rumors predicts that Nikon will not release any new mirrorless this year but will push the current lineup. As someone not even on the fence yet, I want to see what might be coming in 2023, including the possible D500 mirrorless equivalent.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
https://nikonrumors.com/2022/05/10/more-discontinued-nikkor-f-mount-lenses-2.aspx/

More F mount lenses discontinued.

Am I the only one sad about this? Probably.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I guess Nikon had a now ended refurbished sale with D5 XQD bodies for only $1,999. drat.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
https://nikonrumors.com/2022/07/12/nikon-to-stop-making-dslr-cameras-withdraws-from-slr-development-after-60-years-of-history.aspx/

RIP, F Mount.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Can I ask why? Not trying to camera shame.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Shaocaholica posted:

They’re so cheap if you watch for the right listings and the reason I end up with so many is to get some hard to find accessories or it’s just dirt cheap but mint. So one might come up with the grip, RRS l-plate, 5 batteries, original box, screen protector (yes trivial but hard to find!) so I’ll snag that up for pennies like $60. Then another one will come up mint but the owner doesn’t have a charger so letting it go as-is for $15. Oh no the as-is one has a broken mirror mech. Nice seller full refund keep the camera for parts. I’m counting the broken one. That’s mostly for D100.

For D1/X/H it’s just getting the as-is ones for dirt cheap to get parts and building them up into working and hood looking cameras. A lot of those are ‘no charger, can’t test, as-is, $20’. The chargers and working batteries for D1 series are very rare so you see a lot more untested but dirt cheap listings.

This is a fascinating commitment to 20 year old digital camera bodies.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Shaocaholica posted:

Eh I use a D850/D500 for 'real' work but its fun playing with the really really old stuff and seeing how different the photos turn out but also how good they still are. Most folk on IG/FB whatever wouldn't really be able to tell especially with a modern lens which these cameras do support.

Oh gotcha. I wrongfully assumed you were fixing these up to be daily shooters.

I have a D70 with a broken shutter that I got for free. I think I’m gonna practice painting it and then see if I wanna paint one of my working cameras.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

therattle posted:

The 85 1.8 is a gorgeous lens. It’s a portrait classic.

This. And it’s a good price.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Sagebrush posted:

Can't go wrong with the classic 35/2.

I’ll second this if you want a solid 35 that won’t blow you away but is a great compact lens for the money. If you spend about twice as much (used for both) you could also get the Sigma 35 1.4 art which is a fantastic lens, though significantly heavier. The Sigma is the kind of lens that is so good for everyday use it may never leave your camera.

You could also potentially pickup a 28mm 2.8 AF-D for like $75-125 but it’s not quite as good as the one above and you lose some f stops.

Anyone else also shy away from the 28mm focal length since it’s close to the iPhone default? It’s a great focal length but everybody’s doing it.

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 29, 2022

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
My 300mm F4 PF has developed some unfortunate loss of coating spots on the front element. Has anyone used Nikon service to replace the front element of a lens? I started the service form, but it doesn’t provide an estimate for the repair. I don’t want to send it in if it’s going to be $500 when excellent used copies of the lens go for under $1,000.

Still determining what the impact on picture quality is. Need this demon cracker Minnesota winter to end so I can get out and shoot more than snow and darkness.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Those are some impressive whiskers.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have 3-4 2003-2012 cameras in the junk drawer. Someone give me Z9 money for them, please.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I still would like a full frame body just to play with one and compare everything to my 7200, but all my lenses are DX based so even a cheap body would mean having to invest in new glass for it.

Although given my poor 50-150 seems to have bitten the dust, maybe that’s a consideration.

Snag a cheap D600 and you still have 10-11mp in DX mode.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
The 24mm 2.8 AF-D it’s an absolute banger walk around lens on a DX body. 36 mm perspective, sharp, small, snappy focus, great manual override. And you can find them for 100ish bucks now in great condition.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I mostly shoot Nikon but have a Fuji X-T30 for taking around town when I don’t want to carry a DSLR. The EVF is cool, but manually focusing with it is absolutely painful. I’ve heard it’s better on the more expensive and newer bodies, but I can’t see poo poo if trying to focus at anything under F2.8.

I really want to try a Z9 even though I won’t have one until years from now, the good Lord willing.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

powderific posted:

Just got a $700 repair estimate for my 80-400 that someone dropped last week. Sad trombone.

Yikes. At least they’ll still service it?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Enjoy the fine-tune focus rabbit hole, folks. It can take some time to figure out the right number for a lens, but then it’s worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
You can get some very nice used F mount glass for cheap now. It will only get cheaper over the next year.

The Z mount equivalents, if they exist, will be pricey for years to come. Also, at the rate Nikon is releasing Z bodies you can wait 5-6 years to switch and you may not miss much. Nikon Rumors says Nikon isn’t replacing the Z6 ii or Z7 ii this year, which is wild. The Z6 ii was arguably dated when it was first released.