Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BANME.sh posted:

Somewhat of a DSLR newbie here. Can somebody explain to me the whole crop sensor stuff? I have a D5100 and I recently bought the 50mm f/1.8 G lens. It works great and takes amazing photos, but I understand that I am not getting the full frame? Should the lens be DX or do I need a fancier camera?

I'm going to take a shot at this if anything to further my own understanding.

Crop sensor means the sensor size is smaller than a standard 35mm frame (full sensor), so the when the image that's meant to be projected onto a larger sensor is projected onto a smaller sensor... the image is cropped. This essentially changes the focal length of a lens depending on what the lens is made for. A 35mm FX lens on a DX camera will have a crop factor that essentially makes the 35 a narrower lens that may be closer to a 50mm lens. That's just an example though as the ACTUAL crop factor depends on the actual size of the sensor, of which there are a lot of.

I think.

http://www.howitookit.com/?p=394

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

echobucket posted:

Just to be nit picky, but it does not change the "focal length". It changes the field of view. 50mm is always the focal length.

Ooops yeah. I knew it didn't change the physical focal length since that's the physical lens.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BANME.sh posted:

I noticed the 50mm has a very "zoomed in" look, but everywhere I read said that 50mm lenses are the most natural looking so I figured that's normal. Though that's not true for a crop sensor camera like mine? And I'd get a better "natural" look from a ~30mm (35mm?) lens instead? It's not a huge deal, I'd just like to know what's going on. Thanks for the replies.

I do sometimes :sigh:

Yeah just try to think about it as compensating. You want to go wider to compensate for how the crop factor will reduce the field of view.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My god the moire on the D600 at 720p/60 is insane. The same shot at 1080/24 is mostly fine. What's the science behind this? Resolution? Frame rate?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So my D600 has a masssssive amount of oil on the sensor. Doesn't show up in much stuff we've shot since I rarely go above F8, but I noticed it on a shoot the other day (luckily not for any footage we needed).

What's the best way to go about cleaning this? Myself? I've never cleaned a sensor before so that makes me a little nervous. The local camera place claims they don't clean full frame sensors so the only other option is to send it off somewhere which seems cost prohibitive.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I love my D600, but the moire is unbelievable. We were shooting some music video footage downtown the other day and any stuff I got that had an office window with blinds or any sort of power line in it is absolutely unusable.

Considering selling it and getting a 5D Mark III or BMCC.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Apparently a Nikon firmware update is out for several cameras. Including the HDMI crop fix!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/04/02/nikon-updates-firmware-for-D600-D800-d4-d3s-d3x-d3-d7000-d3200

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm sending mine off to Nikon this week. I've only noticed it in very rare cases (really white/cloudy sky shots at f8-f22), but it's enough to where I don't want to worry about it (and it's a LOT of oil). Plus I have 3 weeks of downtime and some new equipment coming in so I'm going to take advantage of the time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Does Nikon cover sensor cleanings, and what kind of turnaround time are they quoting? Either way I'm tempted to pay to have a camera shop do it locally since they can do it in a day.

No charge for me I don't think (they didn't indicate there would be one...except maybe shipping?). I showed them video and pic evidence and basically got a "hmmm yes I see it. Send it in and we'll fix it" response but I haven't finished filling out the form.

I wanted to get a local shop to do it but the only local shop here said they don't clean full frame sensors. ooookkkayyy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
A colleague of mine is looking to get his daughter a DSLR for a graduation gift as she goes off to college. His budget is $500. There are no immediate photographical aspirations, but they may be there so he wants to get her something a step up from a point and shoot.

Nikon has the D3100 with two kit zoom lenses (18-55 f/3.5-5.6G ED II and the 55-200 f/4-5.6G ED) for $500 straight up.

Offer ends tomorrow.

That a decent deal? I'm unfamiliar with the 3100.

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/pd/productID.278659200

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Eegah posted:

That was my first DSLR, bought it with that same kit. Shot with it for two years until I upgraded to a 5200 this year. Didn't sell it back because I'd like it as a backup. It's a perfectly fine camera and $500 with the two lenses is just peachy in my book.

Sounds great, thanks!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Legitimate Pape posted:

I dunno, I like the jpgs my D600 puts out for everyday snap shots. It saves me time in lightroom if I expose them right.

Yeah the D600 jpegs aren't that bad. I just took an 8 day vacation to North Carolina and had a blast and took some great shots. Only apparently my brother used my camera briefly right at the beginning and switched the manual dial from U1 to U2 ... which are nearly identical except one was optioned to only shoot JPEG. Goddamnit.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I was just down in our studio shooting us acting out a scene for a commercial on our D600 (just an internal thing for a timing reference) using the onboard mic. When bringing it into Premiere I noticed there's an audible little chirp in a pulsing pattern. I'm assuming that's not normal right? It sounds like a small mechanical noise. I'm guessing I have to send it in.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Moon Potato posted:

I ended up shelling out for a D800 mostly because of the exceptionally bad moire in the D600.

I kind of want to do this... the D600's moire is un-loving-believable at times.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Might as well get a BMCC at that point and shoot raw video (or ProRes)

I actually have been thinking about it since they dropped the price. Also I'm not invested in Nikon monetarily enough to not consider going a Canon mount direction (plus we got a 5DMkIII with some nice lenses at work and I could start using that package's accessories).

Although the non-daydream reality is that I'm about to buy a house and start having kids so this is probably all moot anyway!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My D600 was out on a shoot the other day and started producing an ERR error message on the screen and refusing to work. Eventually just pressing the shutter button a few times got it to work again. It's already shipping out to Nikon today to get it's stupid sensor cleaned and I've asked them to take a look at that too, but of course there's no obvious signs of anything.

Is that likely just shutter malfunctions?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

copen posted:

Yeah my D200 does this and it is definitely the CF card.

Well good that makes me feel a little better!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fart Amplifier posted:

What lens were you using?

Nikkor 24/2.8 AF D

edit: Actually it may have been my 70-210 zoom. The camera guy that used it isn't sure.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 1, 2013

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

aliencowboy posted:

My D600 is really, really good at taking pictures of sensor dust.

I sent mine off finally to get it fixed. They wanted me to pay to ship it and I was like "uh...no. This is your problem, you pay." So they sent me prepaid labels!

But the instructions I got were different from the boiler plate ones on the site (I didn't include proof of purchase which I was supposed to do because their instructions they emailed me didn't say too...but I registered the camera when I first got it so I didn't have a problem).

Also they say ZERO accessories to be included, but I didn't know if that meant battery or not. I included a battery and a note explaining the problems with the sensor plus specifically adding that I included a battery. A few days later I got an invoice from them noting what they received for me. On it read "Letter received and read" and "No battery included." :rolleyes: So of course when they mailed it back a day or two later it didn't have the battery. They ended up replacing it for free though. All is well now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I doubt someone is selling a refurbed D600 for $750.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WugLyfe posted:

Anyone have a D600 with the shutter issue? How long did it take to get the camera back?

Took me about two weeks round trip when they replaced mine (which was before the official recall, so no idea if their methods have changed).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
They said they replaced my shutter (not just cleaned the sensor) on my action log, but I'm not sure if it was with the 610 or a different 600 shutter. It was RIGHT before the 610 was announced so who knows.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ever since we've had our first kid, my wife has been using my D600 for taking pics of her. She actually has an affinity for photography it turns out (and is in a sort of "what do I want to do with myself?" crossroads) and our anniversary is next weekend. I'd love to get her a starter DSLR. She likes my camera, and I'm not stingy with it, but she just is always afraid she's going to break it or something.

Is the D3200 the go to still?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kenshin posted:

The D3300 is out, so I guess that?

I love my D3200 and it's really helped me learn, so yeah, go for the D3300 I guess.

Ah, poo poo yeah the D3300. I was staring right at it. Comes in sexy "Red" too. nice.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kenshin posted:

Red is best.

Just make sure she likes getting some attention from it, because people ask about it a lot!

But, drat.. Amazon is offering a nice Bundle (Body, 18-55, 55-200, bag, 16 gig card, wifi module) but only for the black model. No Red. :(

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

spookygonk posted:

Keep the D600 and buy her a D610.

While I love my D600 and I'd love to get her a D610. It's $1200 more. Sooo, that's not realistic right now.

I like the D7000, but honestly she might prefer the smaller lighter D3300 to start off with.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WugLyfe posted:

There's also the D5300 which is in between the two, and has decent video quality (if that matters).

Oh shi- it has built in wifi and gps too. Might go with that instead.

edit: Also Amazon has some great deals going on for amateur stuff. Free amazon basics dslr backpack, tripod and discounts on lenses.

edit 2: And flip out LCD screen. She'll love that.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 17, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Gave my wife her little red D5300 package (tripod, bag, 18-55, 55-200) last night. Wasn't sure how she'd take a sort of "techie" present for an anniversary gift, but she cried and then immediately started reading the manual from page one.

Thanks for the recommendation! Can't wait to see what cute babby pics she makes with it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mightaswell posted:

My wife cries when I buy her camera stuff too.

:colbert: Hey!! She never got nice things growing up, so she can cry if she want to.

Also she's 10 weeks post-partum and hormones are still going nuts notthatthathasanythingtodowithit.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
As someone who just purchased a D5300, get the D7000.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Red_Fred posted:

I've been meaning to get some filters for my lenses. I have one that is 77mm and one that is 52mm (will likely have another 52mm soon) and I understand that step down rings are best, any recommendations?

Also what about brands of filters? I was thinking just a polarising one and maybe a ND.

I have a whole series of Fotodiox stepping rings and they're bargain but fine. http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Step...odiox+step+down

As for filters, don't skimp on the ND (I'm assuming you're getting a variable ND?) or at least don't go bottom of the bargain bin cheap.

I went with the Tiffen which isn't horribly expensive and has worked just fine so far!

http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-72mm-Variable-ND-Filter/dp/B005TFU8CG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417014018&sr=8-2&keywords=tiffen+variable+nd

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fraction posted:

For someone who mostly takes pet/sports and macro photos, would a Nikon D5300 or Nikon D7000 be better? I've got a D3100 atm and looking to improve in the next few months. I originally thought D7000 (7100 is out of my budget). I've been comparing on snapsort but true resolution, dynamic range, etc, is all just :words: to me.

I know the D7000 is weather sealed and can use non AF-S lenses, which is appealing, but ultimately I want to go with whatever will make my photos better V:shobon:V I want to stay with non APS-C because my lenses are all that format and it's cheaper than full frame.

D7000

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Xabi posted:

:getin:

Also, congrats on the kid!

Speakin' of kid. I pretty much exclusively use my D600 for shooting pics of my babby now.

Have some cuteness:

edit: Have more because nobody asked.

Mom went away for a few hours so she and I romped around the nursery floor in our jammies taking pics:

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 10, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I've already send my D600 off to Nikon for the oil problem, but it's reared it's head again. Might try to manually clean it this time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Deal is only live for about 2.5 more hours and is close to selling out, but B&H is selling the 77mm Tiffen Variable ND for about $50 off today.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp

I use this exact one. It's pretty great and if you're looking to get a VND, this is a stellar price.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Spermy Smurf posted:

Is there a "recommend me a camera to buy for my wife for christmas" thread anywhere?

We've had the point and shoot cameras (powershots usually) for a couple years and now with the kids not holding still we're sick of having blurry photo albums.

What should I buy? D5200 is entry level and running $550 or so, right?

If you do decide this, I'd go the used 7100 route. I got my wife a 5200 and wish I would have gone for the 7100.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dread Head posted:

They have now cornered themselves when it comes to naming for the DXXX line of cameras as well! Kind of surprised about the D500 at this point but it is nice to see. Kind of surprised by the "action" camera, I am not sure what the price is but I have a hard time seeing it compete against gopro at this point.

Seems weird to have a DX and FX body so similar in name. I figured they'd leave the 4X series DX and 3X series FX.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

red19fire posted:

gently caress, i just bought a d750 today. And they assured me the SN was unaffected by the recent recall :ohdear:

Then what are you worried about?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

red19fire posted:

The article I saw on nikon rumors was like 'welp, more shutter recalls on nikon d750's' :cripes:

ohh I see... Well if you ordered it today, they probably checked it against the most recent recall hopefully. If not Nikon will fix it for free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

toggle posted:

Except for the dodgy unsealed oiled up shutter..

I don't think the D600 has the sealed shutter problem, just the oil problem.

At least mine only had the oil problem (which Nikon promptly fixed).

Such a good camera for the price and I bought it right when it came out.