Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

SoundMonkey posted:

Yet another objectively wrong post brought to you by 'evil_bunnY'.

The matrix meter in my old-bullshit D200 does a pretty good job, and the matrix meter in most newer bodies is nothing short of spectacular in how often it ends up being 'correct'.

I can also see the logic behind y'know, the meter paying attention to the thing you've told the camera to pay attention to.

Matrix metering is horrible IMO. Everything on my D7k that I matrix meter turns out overexposed vs. spot metering.

I tried matrix metering on some velvia 100 with my N90s and got universally horrible results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

I have had -.5 dialled on mine since the day I got it. Same on the d90 before that.

Plus on the D800, there is so much data in the darkness that its better to underexpose slightly than overexpose IMO.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Platystemon posted:

What about differing aspect ratios? Do we go with the vertical field of view? Horizonal? Diagonal? What if the lens is usable on multiple sensor sizes? What if the camera has a multi‐aspect‐ratio sensor? What if the lens can shift? What if it’s a fisheye? What if it just has a significant degree of barrel distortion? What if you wish to calculate some element that is dependent on the focal length, like depth‐of‐field, absolute aperture size, performance with extension tubes, or working distance?

It would create far more problems than it would solve. I’m familiar with 35 mm focal lengths. I’m not familiar with angles of view.

Another usability problem is that while there crop factor provides a simple correspondence between how a lens behaves on one camera and how it behaves on one of a different format, angles‐of‐view have a non‐linear mapping.

For example, a 600 mm lens gives a 4.13° diagonal angle of view on full‐frame and 2.58° on APS‐C. Cool, that’s 1.6, as we might expected from the known crop factor. Even if were always so simple, we’d be doing division to get 35 mm equivalent focal lengths rather than multiplication, which is harder for most people to do in there heads, but whatever.

Let’s try a 50 mm lens. Now it’s 46.79° to 30.26°, or 1.55. Uh, okay.

24 mm? It’s slipped to 84.06° to 58.791°, or 1.43.

At 14 mm, the ratio is under 1.3.

That’s not as bad as I expected, actually, but it’s still markedly inferior to an unerring crop factor of 1.6.

Here in the Nikon thread, we like to keep our crop factors to 1.5. ;)

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Musket posted:

Do you shoot nothing but MTF charts and brick walls?

Sensors are different but both are 24mp. D7100 has way more options and use of legacy lenses with metering and AF screw.

Way more options and way better AF module and much better construction and ergonomics.

Whether or not that's worth it as an upgrade over a D3200 I don't know. The D7k made me happy as an upgrade from a D90, but I have no experience with the D3200.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Kaddish posted:

I need a decent wide angle lens for an upcoming trip to Ireland that doesn't break the bank. It looks like the Tokina-12-24mm-AT-X-DX-II is my best option. I have a D90. Thoughts?

on DX the 8-16 Sigma is what I would want.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Remo posted:

I have read somewhere before that the AF sensors in Nikon AF modules are taking readings from an area equivalent to an f5.6 aperture. I.E. they are measuring if the lens is being stopped down to f5.6, even when it is not. Some Canon DSLRs, like the 7D and the 5DII, have f2.8 sensitive AF sensors which are taking readings from an f2.8 area, but there aren't any Nikon cameras with this feature AFAIK.

The problem is that some lenses, especially fast lenses, have this issue called focus shift, whereby the point in focus actually shifts depending on the aperture used. So an AF sensor which is only taking in readings from the f5.6 image circle of an f1.4 lens may detect that it in focus, but the imagine will appear to be out of focus at f1.4.

How this problem is mitigated in modern DSLRs is that there is a look up table inside each lens which tells the body how much focus shift that particular lens has, so the AF system is able to compensate for it.

Obviously this doesn't work when you are using a manual lens faster than f5.6 with focus shift, as there is no look up table for the camera body to compensate by. This is further aggravated by the fact that current AF modules are not absolutely accurate, especially in poor light and on subjects with poor contrast.

One way to overcome this is to do a custom AF fine tune of the lens at the aperture you are mostly intending to use the manual lens at, or at a median aperture as a compromise. Do this by setting the lens at that aperture and then focus on an AF target from near to far and watching when the AF point lights up. Adjust the af fine tune until you get a satisfactory result. This works as you are using the point where the green dot begins to appear from the near side, not just the entire range where the green dot appears.

Hope my explanation is clear enough!

I'm basically sure that Nikon cameras are AF sensing at 2.8, not 5.6. Unless of course you have a lens in which the largest aperture is 5.6. Where did you read that Nikon can't AF at 2.8?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I have a D7k that I need to have sensor cleaned.

I feel like I will break my toy if I try to do it myself. Is it really that easy to clean?

If not, even if you hesitate a tiny bit, then I need to have someone else do it professionally.

Where is the best place to go to get the sensor cleaned? I am in the Los Angeles area if it matters.

Thanks!

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
In preparation for an upcoming trip I'm thinking of selling my N90s and picking up an F100.

The two lenses I want to use on it are this Sigma :
http://goo.gl/oOp24q

and the 35-70mm f/2.8 Nikkor with the screw drive AF.

The F100 should allow me to shoot in any PASM mode with both lenses, right?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Ashex posted:

No inception shots here. I uploaded a few of my other shots here since I probably cherry picked. I actually think I want a "longer" lens as I frequently end up focusing to infinity for shots that are across a courtyard and generally end up losing the detail I'm looking for. There a lens which will straddle the gap between the two I have now?

24-70 2.8? The Tamron one I think its a pretty solid option, and gets you VC as well.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

My sensor definitely needs a proper clean and the pop up flash is a bit sticky which doesn't help, but even without those issues it's not as if I could buy much with the proceeds. Always good to have a backup.

Slightly off topic, but how do you go about cleaning a sensor? Is the only way really to send it to Nikon for a service?

I have dust on my sensor and planning a trip to germany later this year. I'd like to get the sensor cleaned before that.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Kenshin posted:

I lugged a 6.5mm, 35mm, 18-55mm, and 150-600mm with me on a week long sailing trip at the beginning of May and used them all fairly extensively.

18-55mm is my sunset lens of choice currently. (you might ask why I also brought the 35mm: low light)

There's something to be said for packing light, but if you're able to fit it all, more lenses can be great.

I'm going to Germany later this year and plan on bringing a 12-24, 24-70 and a 50mm. All 3 are FX lenses so I can use all of them on my F100 or the D750 I'll be renting, and of course they will work just fine on my D7k also [which I own].

I'm pretty excited. Taking HP5+ and Fujifilm Provia 100 for the F100.

I also have an N90s and 35-70 F/2.8 which I might bring if someone else in our foursome wants to shoot film. Or I might like to sell that.

Anyone want to buy a really solid film body + lens combo? N90s + 35-70mm F/2.8 works really well together. I don't need it because I upgraded to the Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 and that tammy doesn't work in A on the N90s, so I bought the F100. Now I have an extra film body and a lens I don't need really.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Whenever I walk by a thrift store i always check for an ME Super. One day...

buy my N90s + 35-70mm f/2.8 instead!

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Kenshin posted:

This is going to be one to watch for us wildlife photographers, it seems to be Nikon's answer to the Tamron and Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 lenses.

Sigma Contemporary/Tamron are ~USD$1100.
Nikon 200-500 is listed at about USD$1400 on Amazon, B&H, and Adorama.
Sigma Sport is $2,000.

So if the Nikon is super sharp at f/5.6 or 6.3 @ 500mm it might be worth getting over the Tamron or Sigma. (though I don't have any personal experience with the Sigma yet) The Tamron usually isn't super sharp until f/8, and is more reliably sharp at f/9 but the bokeh gets ugly.

Then just add the Nikon 1.4x extender and shoot at f/8 @ 700mm.

It's appreciably heavier than the Tamron or Sigma C by a little over a third of a kilo, though still lighter than the Sigma S. Has a shorter minimum focus than any of the other lenses, too.

Sample images all shot wide open at f/5.6: http://www.nikon-image.com/products/lens/nikkor/af-s_nikkor_200-500mm_f56e_ed_vr/sample.html
Goddamn.

Wow, if that lens fits the kind of shooting you do, then the results really look fantastic. The bokeh is so pleasing and although those are downsampled, the images seem to be plenty sharp wide open.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Getting my D7k serviced by Nikon will cost me how much exactly?

My sensor is dirty and I have a trip to Germany coming up. Is sending it in to Nikon the best way?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

Just clean it yourself

I'm scared :(

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
A 2 week trip through Germany [and several other countries] with a borrowed D750 blew me away. Such a pleasure to shoot with and get good results.

I used basically two lenses, a 12-24mm Sigma wide angle and the new 24-70mm Tamron. It was wonderful having the larger viewfinder [coming from a D7k] and the wider FoV was really wonderful as well.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

I was recently gifted a D700 but all my glass (save soundmonkey's old 85 1.8D) are dx. Looking for a cheapo zoom to cover kit duty until I can afford better glass. Any opinions on the 24-120mm 3.5-5.6D vs the 28-85mm 3.5-4.5D? The latter is closer to my kit 18-55 vr but the extra range on the former could be useful. I suppose I could use the 18-55 vr in crop mode but idk I wanna buy a thing but don't have a ton of money atm

I have a 35-70m f/2.8 which is pretty clean and works well that I'd like to sell. Maybe not cheapo enough for you though?

If interested I'll get pictures up and whatever in the appropriate thread.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Xabi posted:

Are there any former D700 users in here who are now using the D750?

How was the change? I sold my D700 a few months ago to go mirrorless exclusively, but I must admit that I miss the D700 sometimes. It just fit my hands, all the buttons are placed perfectly and it's solid as a rock.

I've actually been thinking about getting a lightly used D700, but it's an eight year old camera at this point. Better ISO performance and some more megapixels would be nice, although I managed just fine with the D700.

In a perfect world Nikon would've just updated the D700 chassis with better stuff inside - but perhaps the D750 feels just as good?

The D750 feels great, a bit bigger than the D7k but really comfortable to shoot with IMO.

Crazy good value camera. I love that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I have D7000 I bought from Best Buy a bunch of years ago and am wondering what the best way to go about it getting serviced is?

Ideally I'm just looking for someone to clean it, calibrate it and make sure everything is working correctly.