Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

If you're looking for a film body to pack away in your bag as a secondary camera, buy an FM2. Small, light, fully manual, meters up to ISO 6400 and probably indestructible. Steve McCurry used one, so all your bad pictures with it are your own fault.
I have an F3 and I prefer the FM2 for most things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Beastruction posted:

Isn't that effectively zero though?
That was kinda mean yeah.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Digital Jesus posted:

Is the D600's 28-85 kit lens any good? I'm thinking I'll just get the body and buy glass separately unless the kit lens is quality. I know the 5Dmk2 still comes with a 24-105 f4L for similar money and that's a nice lens.
The 24-105 is a lot less nice than many think. So's the 24-120 Nikon makes, while we'
re at it. The 28-80/3.5-5.6 monkey talked about is actually amazing for what you'll pay, and so is the G version. Bonus points if you can get a silver version.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G AF-S is good too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

Also in response to your wrong-opinions post in the old thread, there is ONE more-expensive-kit-lens that would be a legitimate upgrade - if you have the 18-55, consider the 18-55 VR. The VR is great, it's not very expensive, and it's just a good lens for the price.
I meant the VR yeah. The nikkor dx kits weren't bad to begin with (hello canon), but VR on a slowish lens I always a goo idea.

I don't think any of the old film kits are really upgrade over the current dx version. Wide end versus far is preference, and the older lenses tend not to be stabilized. On a FX body they're great for providing cheap flexibility.

Mightaswell posted:

I hear the 28-70 AF-D 3.5-4.5 is also very good for the <100 you will pay for one.
If that's what they cost I need to get me one of those.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

now and forever, amen.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No. In the case the comparable third party lens (Sigma 30/1.4) is actually more expensive, and it's got issues of its own. Just get the Nikkor 35 from a good place like amazon or adorama.

SoundMonkey posted:

This is a Correct Opinion in this case. The 35/1.8 isn't like "the lens everyone should have".
Not everyone is cut for a fast normal!!

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 23, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And they won't meter. Great for shooting video cheaply.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

They also kill your hard drive, goddamn.
He's probably the only guy in here in a position to not give a gently caress, but yeah, so true :smith:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've got almost 100TB worth of drives sitting at my desk waiting for purpose
Heh if they're just taking space you know...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd wait and at least try a Sigma 35/1.4, which comes with dazzling AUTOFOCUS. Both Nikon 35's are meh.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah but the D800 can adjust aperture when recording, which the D600 can't. It's retarded.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BonoMan posted:

edit: Now the live view aperture change IS something that can maybe be upgraded in the future via firmware correct? (as opposed to my 1080p@60 dream which was crushed).
Can yes, will no. I don't think Nikon's ever added features via firmware updates ever, and it's only there to artificially segment their models, there's no technical reason behind it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Ouch. Yeah that's what I was saying when talking about fixing the frame-rate (although that is apparently an actual hardware limitation and not intentional gimping). Oh well.
The available resolutions/rates is mostly down to processing power on the DSP(s).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

krooj posted:

but once you add a grip, the D800 gains a slight speed advantage
Pretty sure that's only in crop modes. FX is 4,5 all the time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Plus the memory cards that apparently fell out of the box during shipping. Thanks UPS!

So right now I'm just reading up on the manual and charging the battery. Which reminds me...is there anything to pay attention to when charging the battery? I left it charging overnight and forgot to take it out this morning before I left for work. I know some folks always recommend not "over charging" batteries in general, but I've never been able to get a definitive answer on that.
The cards can only fall if the guy packing them was retarded. Tape's cheap.

All modern nikons come with smart chargers: when the battery's full they just stop charging (the LED will be on solid instead of blinking).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrStaticVoid posted:

Anyone know why Nikon hasn't started adding electromagnetic diaphragms to all of their new lenses?
You'd think so but heh Nikon.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reichstag posted:

Seriously though, what in the world do you need to learn about your camera that you need another book in addition to the manual?
Nothing, but people confuse learning the camera with learning photography basics.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

True story, I actually have no idea how to use the matrix metering with any degree of accuracy. I just set it to spot meter and point the camera at varying spots in the frame where brightness differs and make sure that nothing's gonna be too blown out.
True story, matrix metering is retarded and still heavily prioritizes the AF point you used to establish focus.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

powderific posted:

The matrix metering on my D800 seems to overexpose somewhat regularly compared to the 5dII it replaced.
I have had -.5 dialled on mine since the day I got it. Same on the d90 before that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Aramek posted:

So, I'm poor and own a D3100 because I'm firmly and forever set in the hobbyist basket of all this, and I've never owned a flash. (Speedlight? Strobe?) So, thinking ahead, I'm planning on getting one in the Spring when my tax return comes in. Was reading the Lighting thread, but, I've got a lot more to read as I'm getting lost on some of the hardware.
What do you want to shoot? Do you have a fast lens already?

Aramek posted:

Because I only have the D3100 model, which lacks some features, for instance an internal AF screw, is there anything I should look for in a flash to be able to do off-body lighting? For example, I don't think mine can do wireless communication, as I had to get a corded remote to fire it that way, as the wireless one proudly stated that it wouldn't work with the D3100. :smith:
Third parties make some compatible wireless releases if you're really attached to that.

Aramek posted:

I've been working with some pretty cheap/spartan lighting. Bought one of those white diffuser umbrellas and a 20 dollar 500 watt halogen work light from a local hardware store, but, that thing gets so hot that, within a couple minutes, everything starts to smell like "heat", so, a real flash sounds like a pretty useful tool.
That smell comes from the dust accumulated on the bulb.

Aramek posted:

Digging through Amazon, the SB-700 looks pretty good, but, what other gear would I need to be able to fire this off-body? Some sort of coily cord I'd imagine that attaches to the shoe?
None if you put your popup on manual power, as low it'll go, and put the SB-700 in SU-4 mode (optical triggering).

If you want TTL, you need either the coily cord or TTL-capable wireless transceivers like these:

http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/

Mr. Despair posted:

Does the sb-700 sync on other flashes?
It has an optical slave.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Aramek posted:

See, I dunno if my camera can do TTL or not. Playing with the options, it does have several metering choices (I just leave it on Matrix so far) I just noticed that the wireless shutter remote didn't respond with it. I saw some of the third party ones too, but, I seem to remember reading in the comments that they didn't work for the D3100 either.
All your camera metering is TTL. The question is whether you want to do *flash* metering through the lens, or chimping manual power.

TTL flash metering is basically the pre-firing the flash at a set (low) power, the camera meter measuring how much light comes back on top of ambient, and then computing how much flash power you need to reach the exposure value you've chosen, then telling the flash that, then triggering it when the shutter's open.

You still haven't told us what you (want to) shoot.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 12, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Aramek posted:

I feel like answering this is some sort of trap and that I'll catch poo poo for not being a real photographer. But, mainly just portrait sort of stuff for my friends, family, but mostly my dog. (Unless I'm misunderstanding, and you're not meaning what subjects I want to shoot.)
I meant what kind of subjects yeah, and I'd much rather you shoot your dog than hobo's and the back of people's heads

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mightaswell posted:

Also, don't buy Cameras at Best Buy. Support your local speciality stores.
This is especially true now that Nikon pretty much enforces MSRPs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah that sounds terrible.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

geetee posted:

Pulled the trigger on a D600 and 50mm 1.4; upgrading from a D40.
I shoot a 50/1.8 almost exclusively on my D800. It owns.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I just used the Nikon cover. I put some standard tape on the edges though, so particles/sand don't sneak in.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd get a 90mm macro lens too. The Tamron SM mentions is cheap and great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

This is based on "absolutely no research" but if these are more than $250 used I'd be surprised. Just do make sure it has an internal motor, because D5100 (those don't have the screw, do they?).
They don't, but I'm pretty sure even the older 90/2.8 has a motor.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The 60/2 is also p nice on DX.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

Also am I crazy, or is the Tamron 1:1, whereas the 60mm tops out at 1:2?
The Tamron 60/2 I'm talking about is 1:1. It's nice because it's fast, optically decent, and 1:1, but the 90 will give you some very handy working distance when shooting truly small stuff.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Have you ever owned a (Nikon) slr before? Because it seems a lot of your questions could be answered by spending some quality time with your user manual.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Post pics. I just use a lightly damp cloth for the ergos/bodies, and a microfiber + prescription glass cleAning fluid I thieve from my wife for the glass. Works a treat.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

krooj posted:

Please design your grips with charging circuitry built in, such that they can simultaneously or successively charge both the battery in the camera and the grip rechargeable.
How do you supposed that will work? If you mean putting the power transforming board and an AC input in the grip, you can gently caress right off, poo poo's heavy enough as it is.

If you didn't know, the way you currently power a D800 with AC is with this adapter, which replaces the internal battery.

It would be nice if you could plug in the AC power block directly into the body, and charge any battery in the body/grip that way.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Set your body to deplete the grip batt first, that'll save you at least some trouble when you don't use both up. The cheaper Nikon bodies/ grips have a bracket that interfaces with the battery contacts in the body, but that's a shitton harder to weatherproof. I don't think having a DC interface on the grip is too much to ask TBH.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The dx00's have framelines, dx's blackout the unused sensor area I think?

In any case framelines are better: lets you see what's coming into the frame as well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

1.8's are super cheap so yeah. FM2's pretty close to perfect.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

When the light is good, color tracking (3D) works really well. Use the back button if you aren't already, point it at something, watch as the points follow it across the frame.

When you want to get something off-center in focus you can just move the AF point instead of framing after focusing (which leads to focus errors).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

None of the menus make perfect sense but auto-Iso isn't hard to understand. The viewfinder will show you the ISO chosen by the camera. You choose the base ISO when you use the button+dial.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Keep the 50 around for portraits, shoot a lot of those while you save for a 35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kit+35 is a great way to learn.