Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

...I say this as someone who uses a D200, maybe the lower end bodies have worse viewfinders?
The cheaper ones have less magnification, and pentamirrors. So yes.

I would get a used Tamron 90 over any old tank, TBH. Unless you need it for a fixed setup. I have an older 28-70/3,5 and it usually gets me close enough.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you can wait a bit you'll be able to snag one from someone unloading to upgrade, or get the new one. There have been no leaks yet (?) but it's already starting to get discontinued.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

Those are two pretty quality lenses. Wait, does the D5100 have a drive screw? Unless you got the 50 1.8G?
The D is not $200.

Lookit dat MTF chart!

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 29, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eegah posted:

I... have a user menu?

I think everyone maps fn to ISO, but it's criminal that Auto isn't, say, the option left of ISO 100.
You can't do it that way: auto ISO increases ISO above the base you select.

You should have a personal menu you can add items to, yes.

DaJe posted:

So if I wanted to go for higher quality over something cheaper, then something like this http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-67mm-Super-Filter-Japan/dp/B003QSG6SS would be a good buy?
That's what I have, it's perfect.

SoundMonkey posted:

A lot of time it's just people sperging though, and god drat I can't stand ViewNX (I don't even have it installed I don't think).
I dunno if it has improved since then but I ditched it for LR after 30 minutes when I got my first Nikon. Japanese firms shouldn't be allowed near GUIs.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 6, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Legdiian posted:

This was not the case on my D5100 and now my D7000.
They've changed it then, it wouldn't go down on my D90.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

Is this just because the D3100 is a beginner's DSLR and the lens is crap compared to the F3 or is it because I'm a retard who can't figure out how to put the camera into advanced user/god mode or something.
Put it in M, make sure A-ISO is off, voila.

BANME.sh posted:

Whoever designed the auto ISO settings for this firmware was drunk.
Not drunk, Japanese. They can do electronics like nobody else, but UI design? Oooh boy.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The interface won't be the same, but you don't have any less control over an entry level DSLR.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

D90 is a perfect camera to start on. Get a 35/1.8 to go with it and shoot a million pictures.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's like a 3c part, and Canon includes one. Can't let'em one up you like that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

F80?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

They have a MILC range, it just happens to have stupid sensors.

Canon's MILCs use APS-C sensors, but the AF performance is atrocious. Which is more of a problem now, but easier to change than sensor size.

I don't think the Nikon entry level 24x36 DSLRs are so much better than Canon/Sony. There's just no reason for the 5d3 to be that much more money.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I don't really keep up with the APS-C stuff anymore, but it appears the ~$800 camera range is kinda laughable:

The D3200's $500 gets you a t3i, but the official Canon entry level is the T4(1100D), which apparently uses the XSi (450D) sensor? If so then that's kinda sad.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Legdiian posted:

Can someone explain the 1.3x DX crop? Is it just using less of the sensor and producing an image that appears to be zoomed in? Is the file size of the image going to be smaller in 1.3x mode? And finally, would I get the same results by shooting in "normal" mode and then cropping the image in an image editor?
It's a 1.5 crop, same as all their crop DSLRs.

The detail on that sample image is a little ridiculous.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

D800 does it just fine though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

The main thing that strike me, as a wildlife shooting Canon user, is the 6fps and an 8 RAw buffer isn't exactly pushing boundaries for top-level APS-C. By comparison the 7D does 8fps and 25 RAW, and the latest rumours are that the 7D2 will manage 10fps. That and skimping on the buttons for back-button focusing.
Yeah the 7k already had a pretty weak buffer. It's a shame they're trying to differenciate models that way. Memory's cheap, and the next step up for action is either a D4 or a 7D(2?). Also no 100% VF on a 1200 euros camera is pure trolling.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 22, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Also no 100% VF on a 1200 euros camera is pure trolling.
Checked the Nikon site and it is 100% coverage, someone must have confused the magnification (0.94) with coverage. I still can't believe the buffer is 6/7 RAW frames. That's just about a second of shooting.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eh, I don't think you can read part of a CMOS line. You can discard the date before processing though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

D4x would probably just use the d800e assembly.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nikon: for when FLIR isn't enough.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Your 3200 can't use its popup as a CLS commander.

If you buy a flash now you will have to put it in SBU-4 (or whatever the optical slave mode is called) + either manually set the power (maybe it has thyristor auto, I dunno), and put your popup on manual power to avoid TTL preflashes that would trigger the remote.

If you want TTL on a remote sb700, you need either expensive TTL radios or a commander-capable unit. This can be the popup if the body supports it (d3200 does not, unfortunately), or a unit connected to your hot shoe.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 2, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah everything would work.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Less leakage, better directionality, better uniformity, can be harder/longer to setup, doesn't fold as small, generally more $.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I want a 35 really bad. I'm used to daily-carrying a 50/1.8, and really don't feel like going up to a 1,5 pound lens. In addition I require modern features like auto aperture (!) and AF (!!!).

Any of you use a 35/2D on a modern FX camera?

SoundMonkey posted:

- cannot be used to float to safety if falling from great heights
As usual I forgot the crucial aspect of whatever I'm shitposting about.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ok gently caress it I just put a bid on one

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Zoom head is probably damaged. Exchange it!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Would have been nicer with a 20-22/2 but I'm curious about the general usability. At least there's nothing glaringly wrong with the specs 8)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Where'd you get your d800?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I never used 3D on my D90 because as you discovered, it doesn't have enough points to make it color-track properly. Your shaky hands shouldn't have much of an impact on focus performance. I would just use the center point.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

beergod posted:

Has anyone picked up the 7100 yet? Trip report? Thinking about upgrading from my just-purchased 3200 (just take all my money Cameragod).
Buy a lens instead.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Very few people use "doublers" anymore. She should just get the kit zooms and/or a 35mm. Welcome to modern times, granma.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

D90

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

85/1.8D is nice (fringes a little bit), Sigma's 85/1.4 is good, the new 85/1.8G is also good. It's hard to gently caress up a 85.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

He doesn't need body aperture control.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cleaned mine off once around 5k, never had issues after.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd just dremel off that section if you ever need to mount a filter.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Blurry is a question of technique, not equipment.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Protons posted:

Is the D3000 a lovely camera or something?
No.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Protons posted:

No. I made drat sure that if I was doing to drop $500 on a camera then she wasn't going to use point and shoot auto mode.
You'd have to be pretty experienced to fault the meter on a modern camera

Protons posted:

I don't think she has a problem with manual focus, and might even prefer it.
Not on a $500 DSLR she won't. Crop pentamirrors suck on top of a matte screen designed for slower lenses.

Protons posted:

Then I don't know what to do at all :(
If she was happy with the magnification and the only issue was focus, put the camera in P, single focus point, single shot focus (as opposed to continuous or automatic).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 6, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tropical posted:

From what I can tell these cameras seem to be decent enough for compact point'n'shoots, but is there another direction I should point her in?
Get a slightly older m4/3 body, they get crazy discounted all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If it's anything like the newer 2.8, it'll be stupid sharp and have silly focus breathing. What body do you shoot?