Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

NR settings apply to both, they're a post-process setting.

Shoot examples of both and post them here, my bet is on pebkac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Those lenses aren't worth adapting at all.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So now that I have this lovely Tamron 70-200 G2, is there any good reason to keep my Nikkor 85 1.8G? Granted yes its a little bit faster but again is it worth keeping?
The tamron's weight is gonna get old real fast.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rock My Socks! posted:

I've been out of the photography game for a few years now, but due to an upcoming trip to Europe I want to get a decent prosumer body to replace my ancient D60. Is there really much reason to spend $1000 on a new D7200 when you can get a new D7100 for $6-700?

It looks like the primary improvements are in the buffer speed (I won't he shooting any sports) and built-in wifi (I probably won't use this). Am I missing any other big differences?
Not if you don't shoot action. wifi is nice the specific implementations are usually horrible, as are the apps.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Is LR still loving dumb about the way it imports poo poo? On my version it'll stop copying while it does the initial conversion, it's so loving dumb.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

thetzar posted:

Are you converting to DNGs?
Ya

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I mean IDGAF I just start it up and do other poo poo but I was shocked at how unoptimized it was.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The 850's trick is the in-body inversion. You can just use the same accessories on the body you have. You can live with 24MP scans, trust me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TTL control with the pop up indices some cringe-worthy delay, IME. Radio or optically triggered manual flash is much nicer to use AFAIC

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It’s really quite good.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If they made an FX mirrorless with no glaring flaws and a native 35mm available I would snap it up at launch. FX DSLRs are heavy and annoying.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The looks are literally the only thing the Df's got going for it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LBR if the Df were remotely as competent it'd be a good choice on looks alone but the d750 outclasses it handily

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Df looks sexy as hell though
Ayup

EL BROMANCE posted:

or going full frame and having to cheap out on lower quality glass I would at least consider not going full frame.
This doesn't apply if you can live shooting primes. Which you should do regardless considering what FX capable zoom glass weighs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

lampey posted:

The Df is missing auto iso and auto shutter on the dial.
Oh yeah I forgot about that lunacy. Jesus gently caress nikon just make a nice looking normal camera it's not rocket science

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Is the screw drive speed about the same for all current gen bodies that have them? Like, is the AF speed about the same for a D850 as it is for a D5 on older screw drive lenses? Sure the D5 has a 'better' AF system and faster continuous speed but I'm just talking about AF.
If it’s anything like previous generations the Dx bodies will have torquier units than the lower end stuff.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Non-pro of all brands are loving annoying to shoot close range action with, and that goes double for the FX stuff with lower effective DoF

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Business of Ferrets posted:

I sold my D810 for a Z6 and am extremely happy with my decision. I do more video than still photography these days, but still needed something capable of the latter, and the Z6 has been a great all-rounder.
Do you shoot moving subjects? The only thing I'm not on board with on my 800 is the AF-C performance.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

powderific posted:

I thought the D800 had pretty good AF system? Sold mine a couple years ago and mostly had screw drive and manual focus lenses, but I felt like it worked pretty well with the two AF-S lenses I had. On the Z6 now and it seems pretty good. I don’t do nearly the same amount of stills shooting as I did back then though and I had a year gap between the cameras so hard for me to say if it’s better or worse.
It’s very good for still stuff but has quite a hard time with moving subjects at close/medium range and i pretty much shelved it when i got kids.
I just want a d6 af module in something i can reasonably lug around with a widish prime.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

huhu posted:

I've got a remote shutter release that I replaced the battery on maybe a month or two ago. I connect it to my camera - and press the shutter release. The screen goes black but no photo gets taken. Thoughts?
You in bulb mode or something?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeast posted:

But if I’m not zooming in or cropping in to 100% magnification and using that shot every time, then the D850 is still a much better camera.
badabing

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Crankit posted:

On a D3200 is there a way to adjust the focus of a lens through menus? I was trying to take some photos of some stars but moving the focus ring manually was wobbling everything and difficult.
For that kind of shooting you should be focused at infinity (use the moon then tape your focus ring and switch it to MF).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Why the gently caress does Nikon official media have shutter noises, at an insanely slow fire rate lol

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

Taking photos on a camera that doesn't make a sound can be disorienting. "Wait, did that take a picture? I better take another" followed by finding you actually took twenty near-identical photos...
It blacks out the EVF/screen to let you know it fired (and I think blanks a frame when shooting continuous). If they've really managed to make the readout fast enough to prevent banding I can't wait until that poo poo trickles down.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

zombienietzsche posted:

I have a serviceable Lumix DMC-GX-1 (along with a fast 50mm equiv and a kit zoom lens) that I got a few years ago, planning to upgrade to an APS-C DSLR if I stuck with the hobby. I wanted a telephoto lens mostly to help me when I'm taking for-fun pictures of my nephews playing little league, and figured I stuck with the hobby enough and it was time to pick up a D3300 off eBay. My reasoning was that the used DX lens market would be better to grow into than Micro 4/3, and I'd get a bit more camera along the way, notably an extra frame per second.
Rent a really good m4/3 body before you spend real money

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Brrrmph posted:

Enjoy the fine-tune focus rabbit hole, folks. It can take some time to figure out the right number for a lens, but then it’s worth it.
The systems that give you an offset instead of a curve that's a function of the focusing distance can go F themselves honestly.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeast posted:

I’m too addicted to the Z9 battery life to go to a smaller cell.
Literally just put a pack in your pocket?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

Nikon Rumors reports a Z6/Z7 III isn't pending but instead a Zf is being cooked up using a new sensor. Can't find it now but there was also a newer rumor that the Zf would have Nikon's first pixel shifting implementation.
Oh lord that looks so loving good.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

e. wait this is the crop frame right? the Zfc is like $1100 and the Z38 is $800 or so? So it should be in a similar price point?
What? Nooooooo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

Full frame, somewhere around a 25 MP sensor that isn't shared with the Z6, and supposedly around $2000 for body only. No new lenses will be released along side it but a kit with the Z 40mm f/2 SE is expected.
loving :getin:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

No control stick? What the hell are Nikon thinking? It was dumb when the z50 didn't have it, but a £2k camera?
LOL nevermind. Who thought this would be OK

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Looking at the forums and articles there's not the usual amount of bitching about how Nikon have completely failed everyone once again so they must've done something really right with this one.
The lack of joystick is the only obvious one to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hahahaha