Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Musket posted:

Do you shoot nothing but MTF charts and brick walls?

Sensors are different but both are 24mp. D7100 has way more options and use of legacy lenses with metering and AF screw.

Also, pentaprism viewfinder rather than pentamirror. Makes a huge difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Buy with a credit card. It's like saving up, but you just pay a bit of money to do it after the fact.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Depth of field depends on the magnification, not the aperture or f-number or subject distance.

Paul MaudDib posted:

For equivalent magnification (eg standing closer with a wide angle lens or farther away with a telephoto or farther away with a wide angle lens and cropping) and equivalent aperture and equivalent sensor size then there will be equivalent depth of field.

How are these statements not contradictory? You are saying that DOF does not depend on aperture or f-number of subject distance, and then saying that equivalent DOF requires equivalent aperture and a subject distance inversely proportional to focal length. What am I missing?

If you fill the frame with a subject using different focal lengths with all else equal, the DOF will be different. If you stay at the same distance with different focal lengths and the same aperture and crop, DOF will be different.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Again: all focal length does is affect crop. If you step back and take a picture, you will have a nice closeup of the exact same blurred background that would have been squished into a tiny area on the 14mm shot.

No. Sensor size is what affects crop, because it is literally cropping the image. The iphone has a much larger DOF than a full frame camera because you're taking a small crop of a short focal length.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

BonoMan posted:

My D600 was out on a shoot the other day and started producing an ERR error message on the screen and refusing to work. Eventually just pressing the shutter button a few times got it to work again. It's already shipping out to Nikon today to get it's stupid sensor cleaned and I've asked them to take a look at that too, but of course there's no obvious signs of anything.

Is that likely just shutter malfunctions?

What lens were you using?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

This is a great DX lens.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

Is it worth it to upgrade from my d90 to the d7000? The 7000 is about 600 dollars, and the high ISO performance and af zones should be an improvement.

I mostly shoot street at night and general touristy poo poo.

The d7000 is far superior to the d90, especially in terms of high ISO quality. More than worth the money

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Things will always be getting better and cheaper. You will not be unhappy with a d7000

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Unexpected posted:

Hi,

So I have a very old 80-200 2.8 with a squeaky motor (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80200afs.htm) and I'm thinking about, maybe, exchanging it for the modern equivalent (70-200 2.8, http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/AF-S-NIKKOR-70-200mm-f%252F2.8G-ED-VR-II.html).

Sadly, it's an expensive piece of gear, so I have two questions:
1. Is it going to be significantly better in terms of sharpness?
2. Also, I've never had a lens with VR. How much of a difference is it going to be?

Thanks.

From my experience, you can expect a sharpness of increase of approximately 1 stop from moving from the 80-200 to the 70-200 vr II (that is, the sharpness of the 70-200 at f2.8 is roughly the same as that as the 80-200 at f4) and possibly even better in the corners. VR is also pretty great. The top thing that makes me consider moving up to 70-200 from my 80-200 though is the autofocus speed and accuracy.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Well, now I know how to pronounce VSCO

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

timrenzi574 posted:

Apparently only 55 of the points (I assume the big squares - 35 of them are cross points) are user selectable - the little dots in between are assist points.

That seems like a good way to do it. There's basically no reason to have that many user selectable points.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I'm not really going to be happy until we reach 8-10 digit ISOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Will I love it? Is there anything to worry about with it?

The reproduction ratio is 0.125x. Take a 1:1 macro lens and divide the size of the objects in the photos by 8. That will be the size of the objects in the photos done by the 85mm 1.8.

Just for contrast the reproduction ratio of the 18-55 DX that comes with most lower end Nikons has a max reproduction ratio of 0.3x

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 26, 2017