Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
I just wanted to post some anecdotal evidence about weather sealing.

I took a D600 + 24-120 f/4 up a mountain in the Swiss Alps to go snow shoeing off-piste. The outside temperature was about 0C. The camera was hanging infront of me on a blackrapid strap. I took a few tumbles and before I put it away, the lens had snow on the front element, the barrel (at the extension points) and the switches and the camera had snow on the viewfinder, the top lcd/buttons and the back buttons. I wiped off as much as I could and then put the camera in my rucksack for an hour or so. The only adverse effect I could notice was a bit of moisture/fogging in the viewfinder which went away as the camera reached room temperature again.

I am pretty impressed by both the camera and the lens. I understand that both are supposed to be "weather sealed" (indeed the D600 is supposed to be to the same standard as the D800 according to Nikon) but its never really clear to what extend they can be roughed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
I got recommended the Tamron in this thread for a safari trip. I wasn't disappointed, it's a great lens.

Here are some shots I took with it:

pride by bmc451, on Flickr

just chillin' by bmc451, on Flickr

Fungah fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 14, 2013