Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My girlfriend's mom just purchased a D800 and I had a chance to shoot with it over the holiday weekend. I'm not in love with it yet, but it at least has me looking twice at the 5DIII I just picked up. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

They also kill your hard drive, goddamn.
I've got almost 100TB worth of drives sitting at my desk waiting for purpose, so I'm not too worried about running out of space any time soon. Granted I would need a drat server rack, a server, and some enclosures to put that many drives to use, but still...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ShadeofBlue posted:

Is this a bug? I thought it was a "feature" to differentiate the D600 from the D800.
It's a little broken on the D800 right now anyway. On the D800 in Live View mode, if you focus lock then try to change aperture it turns the screen black. Nikon's promising a fix but I assume it won't be out this year.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mightaswell posted:

Nikons are generally accurate.
What's considered inaccurate? I just took a look at the D800 and it seems to miss the mark quite a bit, unless I'm reading the chart incorrectly:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Nikon/D800

Not that I care too much about what synthetic camera benchmarks say (I know the D800 is a great camera), I'm just curious if this is still considered quite good for this test.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MissSheGrrl posted:

Hmm, yah that may not be ideal for me at the moment. Do camera shops ever allow you to try out lenses before buying if you bring in your own body? Obviously this may be up to individual shops but I'm curious if this is a common thing.
My local camera shop will usually allow you to open a lens box up and take a few shots if you bring your body in.

That's the only positive thing I can say about my LCS though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Being a Canon user, I think I finally understand why my girlfriend's mom still thinks crop factor is a thing with her D800: because it can be. :doh:

I was asked to tag along to take photos for their holiday greeting cards and to shoot with her D800. Having basically never used, troubleshooted, or shopped for Nikon gear, I didn't even realize you could still use crop glass on a full-frame Nikon body. She's still using the kit lens from like her old D90 or something so I was a bit confused at first by the massive vignetting and how to frame the shot in the viewfinder. I didn't bother to bring the topic up, or the $10 UV filter she had affixed to the front of the lens, or that she seems to shoot in JPEG all the time. If she's happy with her shots and making money off of her photography side-business, then more power to her. :)

At least now I understand why she keeps trying to apply crop factor math every time she looks at my Canon full-frame glass.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Musket posted:

Heavy Vingetting on a D800 with a 18-55 G kitlens?
I think it was an 18-105, but I really can't say for sure.

I guess in her head all digital SLRs have a crop factor -- end of discussion. I suppose that was true of consumer bodies around 10 years ago, but times have changed. It's odd to me that she owns a D800 and doesn't understand sensor size. She was probably just drawn to 36 MEGAPIXELS!!!

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 5, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Musket posted:

When you put a DX lens on (example, the 10.5mm AF-G DX lens) it shows the correct DX frame lines automatically.
There was a box in the viewfinder for framing, but that combined with the noticeable vignetting in the viewfinder really threw me off. I'm not used not being allowed to frame using the entire viewfinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Also she wants to switch to Leica now, so that should be interesting.