Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Musket posted:

Its the lens. The 1.4 AF-D and the 1.8 AF-D are mostly trash wide open until about f2. CA makin machines.

Yeah I noticed this on my 50mm 1.8d too. Does the 35mm 1.8g also do this? I just picked one up and wondering if I should stick to f/2 and above when using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

So Nikon have announced the D5500, their first camera to have a touch screen! Better late than never Nikon. other than that it's almost the same as the D5300. Not sure what happened to the D5400.

$900 so that's in the ball park of the D7100. Not sure why you would go for the D5500 over the D7100.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/nikon-d5500/

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I'm hoping the price is suggesting an announcement to a D7200 soon. I'd love to grab up a D7000 and a D7200 release will push down the D7100 price and thus hopefully finally push the D7000 to below £300.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Dren posted:

I didn't do real tests or anything but d7k looks about that good at 6400 in sufficient light. I shoot at 6400 on it all the time and at 4x6 size you would never ever know. Even at larger sizes it is fine.

This is good to know. I'm holding off to see if the price drops but I need it before April 19th as I'm going on holiday. My current Nikon D80 is pretty much a mess above ISO 800.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 22, 2015

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

What's KEHs delivery speeds like? I'm kind of used to being on my tiny island where you can 1-day (or even same-day some stuff) pretty much anything. I don't know where KEH is based and their proximity from Florida, where I'd have it shipped. Happy to wait until last minute if it makes a difference!

Why not use MPB? Once you add tax to the KEH prices they should be about the same and delivery is next day on MPB.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Coming from a Nikon D80, will the lack of controls on the D5100 be much of a hindrance? I've been uming and arring over picking up a D7000 pre-owned. What stops me is I can trade in the D80 and a few lenses I no longer use and pretty much get D5100 for no extra cost, while the D7000 will still cost me probably around £150-200 on top of the trade in and with the picture quality being the same it's got me second guessing the D7000 for my purposes. One plus the D5100 might have for me also is the weight, my camera lives in my rucksack with a 35mm on it so being light will be a benefit or maybe the stronger body of the D7000 might be better in this case as it might get bashed about a bit? What are peoples thoughts?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

The D5100 doesn't have an autofocus screw, so it won't let you autofocus with any AF lenses you might have collected with your D80, but the D7000 will.

That won't be an issue I only have one af lens, a 50mm one which is barely used since I picked up a 35mm and will likely be traded in.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Not having a front wheel for aperture should be a deal breaker for anyone into photography enough to be reading this thread.

Yeah loosing the front wheel pains me, but from what I've read you only need to hold a button to change the function of the back wheel so it's not the end of the world.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I've decided to just got for the D5100 and save my pennies. My free time for my hobby is going to me light over the next year and a half so I can't justify the extra cost right now (money is tight). The extra controls I'll miss I'm sure but I spend 75% of my time in aperture mode anyway and time in manual is spent on landscapes or still-life where the extra time taken isn't an issue. I'll revalue in a year or 2 when I have more spare time and more money, should have some kind of pre-owned market for D7200's by then too :) .

Thanks for all the advice.

Leperflesh posted:

When I'm in Program mode with my D3200, the wheel on the back of the camera controls aperture. Am I doing it wrong?

If that's what you're after you want (A)perture mode. As Mr. Despair said, program sets the aperture and shutter for you and you can shift along to different combinations but you never actually fully control either. It's like a semi-auto mode.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Using auto iso seems like madness to me but I'm coming from the D80 which has unusable noise levels above iso 800.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Gstu posted:

I ran the comparison on B and H between the cameras in the Nikon 5000 line.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Nikon_D5200_vs_Nikon_D5300_vs_Nikon_D5500/BHitems/910146-REG_1010022-REG_1111429-REG

I went down to best buy today and held the 3 cameras. I like the way the 5500 fits in my hand a little better, but I'm not sure if I can justify the extra $100 for just that.

I'm looking to buy one soon (yay!) and other than the size of the body and the ergonomics of it I can't seem to find much of a difference between the 3. Is there something I'm missing as someone who hasn't camera shopped in a long time?

It you want to save money then the 5100 is great and Super cheap preowned for what it is. The higher models like the 5500 though fall over into 7000/7100 price range making them harder to justify. Unless you specifically want video go for a 7xxx over a 5xxx.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I'd happily buy a 7200 over a 7500 if it had a tilt screen but I use that feature too drat much on my current camera.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

What was wrong with having the vr switch on the lens?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh poo poo my bad, I forgot to put in my post that I have a D3400. The 70-300 is definitely catching my eye.

(I assume you are talking about the AF-P DX VR version)
I've also been looking at this lens. It seems pretty amazing for the price but I'm put off by the plastic mount. I've also looked at the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD which seems to have a higher end build quality however its a much older lens and I think its slower to focus

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Since we're talking about full frame- I'm thinking of upgrading from a D7000 in the next year or two. I also shoot film on the side (mainly portraits with 50 and soon 85mm). Would it make more sense for me to get a D750 instead of a D7500, if the lenses I use most are FX anyway? Or do the extra features of the D7500 make it worth it?

This depends what you shoot. If its wildlife then the extra reach and faster fps of the D7500 may come in handy. Otherwise, since you already own a fair amount of FX glass, then Id go with the 750.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ooopphh the Z5 is so close to being the perfect camera for me, I don't give a toss about video so the cuts there don't bother me but that 4.5fps seems a tad slow. I'm curious if Z6 prices will shift after this.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Yeah I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks for posting.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

That's not a camera lens, that's a bazooka.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ashex posted:

Anything full frame will be waaaay out of budget, this is just a starter set and I'm planning to get her a Sigma 18-50mm to go with it unless I miraculously find a D3300 with a lens.

The D3300 can take af-p lenses with a firmware update so that's a good shout.
The sigma 18-50 is also a bloody good lens but getting both for under $200 seems like a tall order.

While f mount isn't long for this world, there is a huge selection of lenses to keep anyone happy for years to pick up on the cheap.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

LiterallyATomato posted:

Thinking of upgrading from a d7000 to a 7500. Anyone have any experience with the D7500? How did you like it?

Pretty great. It's still crap for video but I don't do that. And they made it single card slot which is a slight bummer but not a big deal for me. Other than that it's a huge upgrade over the 7000.

Nikon still wants close to a grand for it though which I think is a little steep considering the competition. I got mine as a grey import for £750 over 2 years ago. A quick look at eBay suggest very good condition 2nd hand ones go for £500-600.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 27, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I definitely understand the desirability of a D7500/D500 if you’re going after sports, action, wildlife especially. The AF speed and frame rate of those cameras is still cutting edge for APSC DSLRs. But if it was me (this really might not apply to you), and I could get it in good condition and save some money over the D7/500, I’d go for a D7200.

I like landscapes and post processing. The D7200 has ever so slightly more resolution and actually (somewhat counterintuitively) a good deal more dynamic range than the newer two. It also has better battery life than the 7500, and they took away dual card slots in the 7xxx series for the D7500; the 7200 still has two slots just like the 500 (albeit not supporting the same super-fast write speeds).

I’m not all that familiar with the Nikon DX range though. Have shot a little with a D3200 and D7200, but not much with either. The highlight and shadow recovery abilities of the 7200 were impressive to me, however.

If you’ve ever really felt limited or frustrated with the autofocus on your current camera, I’d still go with one of the D7/500 options, but if you’ve been getting along ok and just want the biggest gains in raw image flexibility while upgrading to more serious build quality and features (and don’t do video, or ‘bird in flight’ photography) consider the D7200 as well.

... and even regarding wildlife and action stuff, just note that you can get a like new D7200 for $600-800, which is significantly cheaper than even the 7500. You could put those savings towards something like the 200-500/5.6 or the Tamron whatever-to-600mm lens if you are serious about getting into birds and balls.

The 7200 is, after all these years, still an amazing camera. Its credit to how good it was at release. The things that pushed me to get the D7500 over the D7200 though was the improved low light and the tilting touch screen and I think you're over selling +0.6 of dynamic range and a few megapixels personally, the battery is also 950 vs 1100, which is still so many compared to mirrorless I see it as a non issue. The dual card slot is personal, I see why professional people mind, but as a hobbyist I honestly didn't care.
But the $/£200ish you save is a very good reason to still consider the D7200, especially if you don't need those 2 main benefits the D7500 brings.

Leperflesh posted:

Dang. OK, yeah, those are all really good reasons to consider the 7200. I just sort of assumed higher number = better than and didn't bother reading up about it at all.

Thanks to all three of you for your help!

Its the reason the D7500 received a very mixed response on release. People expected big improvements across the board because it had been a good few years since the D7200 but what Nikon gave them was a few big improvements and then saved everything else for the D500. The D7500 is still a brilliant camera, better than the D7200 overall I'd argue, but in 20 years when people are talking about the best cameras of the past few decades, I imagine it will be the D7200 that people remember.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 13, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I'd say look at the D750 as well. It sold very well so the 2nd hand market is good for buyers.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Slotducks posted:

What hypothetically would be the body to look towards when the time comes to upgrade from my D5600?
I mostly shoot birds with the F mount 150-600 Sigma

If your not planning on venturing outside of birding and you want to stick to DX then the D500 is your best bet. It's considered a pro wildlife camera and still very popular today as its focusing system still beats most of the mirrorless boys. As it's a little older the second hand market for it is very healthy too.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 6, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Even if they did, would be much more than you can get a preowned D500 for.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I could be wrong but I think all the older Nikons have huge limitations for this kind of thing. The live hdmi output isn't full resolution and is just a reproduction of the back screen so is only 720p.

Nikon have released software to do all this for you, it supports the D7200 but not the D7000.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Hopefully it's good, Nikon need a big success to catch up to Sony and Canon.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Seeing people genuinely excited about a Nikon camera again gives me much more faith in the Z series future.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Because a significant part of the market for a $6,000 camera body is rich idiots who will use it three times a year to take lovely pictures of their kids on green square mode, and those people don't want a camera that doesn't have a loud machine gun shutter to let to everyone know you have a $6,000 camera.

You missed the point. The Z9 doesn't have a mechanical shutter at all. Those sounds have been added in for a camera that can't make those noises.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

They are struggling to fill backorders for Z mount stuff, so it makes sense to kill off the old stuff to make room in the production lines for all the new things. Every Nikon user knew the F mount would be killed off at some point.

Curious how it will effect the 2nd hand market.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

You can get 2nd hand Nikon 18-200 for probably cheaper than getting it fixed.

As for options. I think a D500 or maybe a D7200/D7500 would be good options. If you're just getting into photography again you don't want to jump all into mirrorless and find out it was a temporary phase before you drop out again. But yes, this camera will likely be your last DSLR. They might stick around for a little while longer but all the companies are winding down their non-mirrorless work.

One thing to keep in mind, if you grab any of the new AF-P lenses (and you should consider them for DX, very light and very good for the price) You will need to check compatibility. D7500 works out the box, D500 needs a firmware upgrade. They will mostly work with a D7200 but you cant turn off the VR, which might not be an issue for you.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

There are multiple 24-70 Nikon lenses on both Z and F mount. Which one do you mean.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If its for portraits why not get an 85mm prime?
To me a 24-70 is a convenience lens. Something to take when walking about and you don't know what you will shoot and don't have time to switch lenses. For portraits you have as much time as you wish to zoom with your feet.

If you want it for more than just portraits though then yes both the 24-70mm f/2.8E AF-S and the sigma art equivalent are very good for portraits. Also look into the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 23, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

“It takes an enormous amount of effort to take AI-generated elements and create something that looks like it was taken by a human photographer,” he says. “The creative process is still very much in the hands of the artist or photographer, not the computer.”

Sure mate

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

We have a goon in Trad Games doing this, with fantasy pics, and I'd say the effort they're making and documenting in this post is significant.

I predict that in ten years, using an AI as a tool as part of a creative process for artwork that is called "photography" or sits adjacent to it will be considered not much differently than using Photoshop was after the 1990s - it was controversial at that time, but mostly by people who considered themselves "traditional" photographers resenting the ease at which their difficult manual darkroom processes were being done by clicking a button and letting Adobe do the work.

e. I don't think that excuses that guy intentionally misleading people about the existence of their photographic subjects as real humans, though.

Creating images like this is fine, I don't resent what he does at all ( although passing it off as photography is sleazy). But it's not photography. It's more akin to digital art if you have to find an existing comparison.

Is it art? Errrr hard one. If you had a photographer taking pictures and someone else editing them, is the editor the artist? I think most people would say no.

Now if the editor is giving the photographer strict instructions on what to photograph and then editing them, that's a bit more blurry.

I suppose the closest thing to it might actually be magazine editor. Magazines like Vogue look at hundreds of photos they have asked photographers to take, they select the ones they want and add extra editing on top. Its a lot of work but I've never heard people refer to them as artists. Maybe they should be :shrug:

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 23, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Yeah I can get on board with that.
I'm not sure I would budge on it being photography though. Talented artists have been drawing 'photograph realistic' images forever, but we don't call them photographers or those images photographs. I'm not sure why some AI image creatives/artists (or whatever term we settle on) are trying to claim it is except as you suggest, stolen valor. The dude in your link seems to be putting in 10x the effort most of them are but is honest about what he's doing, having fun and producing cool images while doing it. And I see nothing wrong with that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Wibla posted:

Don't discount older D primes, they can be quite good. And often cheap.

A lot of the old cheap D Prime weaknesses are soft edges, slap that on a aps-c camera though and those edges are cut off anyway.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Just make sure your body can drive them. I think the 3xxx and 5xxx series they are manual only on.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Maybe I play too many high frame rate pc games. But yes a lot of EVFs look bad to me. I'm sure the newer models fix it but I usually buy stuff that's a couple gens old to save money.

Having just got on a 3 day hiking holiday and done it all on one battery made me appreciate my simple DSLR.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 25, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Lol I've had my D7500 for 4 years and never knew I could do that.

Well, project for this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I watched another video that suggested performing it multiple times and then taking the average, so manually altering it can be useful.