Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I had similar problems with the Tamron 35mm VC on my D850, but that was a while ago. Not sure what would have caused it and I wound up selling both without really troubleshooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I left Nikon for Panasonic (hopefully temporarily) and I’m sad about it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

toggle posted:

I went the other way. I’ve had enough of the GH5’s noisey low light performance. My Z6 is good and nice.

Had a Z6 and went to S1H, which I'm guessing both have the same sensor. The Z6 stills were good and video fine, but really wanted the fatter bitrate, XLR jack pack, built in log, timecode, etc. from the S1h to make it a better b-cam / lightweight a-cam setup.

edit: D800 with cheap, used AF-D lenses was my switch from Canon to Nikon and I loved the setup.

powderific fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 1, 2021

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm just running my F mount Zeiss glass + the 24-105 and it's been nice with all that. Been surprised at how much I like using it for stills. Other production folks I know gave me guff for not having the ninja on the Z6, but if I'm gonna shoot raw I'd rather just use the big camera and not deal with an external recorder. The colors do look lovely from the samples I've seen though.

When Nikon finally releases their compact 28mm I might wind up back in the fold. Really would prefer to stick with them for stills if I can, but the S1H was a better compromise for video + stills for me.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s fine for stills but since it’s still contrast based I don’t find it useful for video and the Z6 is better in most situations. That said I didn’t use af in video with the Z6 either as I didn’t find it quite reliable enough (and my lenses skew mf anyway.) Doesn’t matter much for my use but might for you.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've only briefly used the D500 a couple times, back when my main camera was a D800, and I don't remember thinking it was "off" at all. Could be some difference in the sensor you're noticing that isn't just size — someone in this thread really preferred the way the D4 or some other pro body reproduced certain colors to the newer, sony sourced sensors. (apologies if that person was you, haha)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The main things the D500 gets you over the D7500 are better af, 2 more FPS, the more pro feeling body (which is also a little bigger so maybe a pro/con), a slightly better viewfinder and LCD, and faster card slots. I think the main time its benefits would be relevant would be birding, but not even having a lens for it not sure you should make a decision based on that.

They have the same sensor and I believe image processor. Either one is going to be a huge upgrade from the D3200. If you've made it this far with the D3200 might be best to just keep the budget smaller and go D7500.

I doubt there's going to be anything interested happening in the APS-C DSLR world in the next few months (or maybe ever?)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nikon appears to have them in their refurbished store at the moment if that interests you at all: https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/refurbished-dslr-cameras/1581b/d7500-refurbished.html

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have no experience with it, but since you already have it you may as well try it? I don’t think I’d recommend anyone run it and pick one up off eBay but no reason not to mess around with it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I find the audio feedback useful personally and I'm not buying the idea that it's only there for rich person clout on the kids soccer field. The vast majority of these are going to professional users. I'm sure the slow fire rate in that promo is just like... a choice whoever did the teaser made cause they thought it fit the piece better than machinegun burst stuff.

Overall I think it looks great and I'm excited for it. Makes me feel like Nikon's still got it for now!

edit: also, the video out of it is looking really good too. Might be enough to bring me back to Nikon after a brief foray into Panasonic with the S1H for my b-cam.

powderific fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 29, 2021

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The existence of a visual cue doesn't necessarily obviate audio cues. The Z9 has some alternate options for indicated a shot being taken that look nice, but having the audible version is nice too.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It doesn’t have a viewfinder black out unless you tell it to as an effect. You can also do little bars of different styles on the edge of frame.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agree — I don't think right now it makes sense to buy into DX. If you wanna get into something APS-C I'd go Fuji. Or just stick with Micro 4/3 and get a nicer body/lens.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’d say it’s extremely likely.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure a Z8 kinda thing could come out, but who knows when. The Z7 does have in body sensor shift IS. Yes you can still send off cameras for sensor mods. Only difference I'm aware of with the new FTZ is it loses the little tripod foot bump so it'll fit on the Z9 better. It should be fine with long lenses sturdiness-wise, not sure about AF on third party lenses.

For the 200-500, the VR would work with a lens that didn't have IS at all, but I'm not sure how it interacts with a broken module. Why not make getting that fixed part of your gear updates?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice! I had a chance to buy one a month or so back but decided to hold off till the big video firmware feature updates. Seemed like from one lab test it wasn’t giving the full dynamic range the sensor could provide to the log video, so I’m hoping they fix that.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Red sues or otherwise dissuades pretty much anyone who puts compressed raw into a video camera. They did it to apple, sony, DJI, Kinefinity, and I'm sure others. The third party is intoPix. My assumption is that their raw patent doesn't conflict with Red's because it's about the algorithm and whatnot, while Red's is about having compressed raw in a camera.

I hope they can sort something out too, but in the past Red usually seems to win these things.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, lookie what showed up today. Took a god drat long time to source one here in commieland.

Just been playing around with the settings (900+ page manual, good god). It is so, so much quicker in every way than the Z6/Z7 and so far the tracking seems pretty exceptional. Going to do some proper shooting in a few weeks so we'll see how it performs on birds. The animal eye thing seems almost like cheating but I'll take it.

Congrats! I had a chance to pick one up a few months back, but couldn't quite pull the trigger.

Curious bout what you think of the 40mm. I've been on L mount for a minute but would really like to get back to Nikon for stills. The 40 or 28 on a Z5 intrigue me as a cheap-ish way back in.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Electronic shutter has rolling issues even at high speeds, just cranking up the shutter speed won’t help. You need to use mechhanical shutter to get away from the issue.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I'm just not sensitive to EVFs or something, but I went from a D850 (and D750/D800 before that) to a Z6 and found the EVF preferable. My good glass is all manual focus only and the mirrors on the DSLRs just weren't precise enough and adjusting them was a huge pain that I never got quite right. I went so far as to buy a mirror with microprisms for my D800, but to adjust it you basically have to cut tiny shims for the mirror and what I had on hand was never quite perfect so I'd wind up having to use live view for critical focus anyway.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For me EVFs went from being definite downgrade compared to an OVF and only really a thing I used in bright sunlight with the G2, GH3, XT20, and various camcorders to something that was mostly equivalent and in some ways better than an OVF with the Z6, S1H, and blackmagic OLED.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just got a $700 repair estimate for my 80-400 that someone dropped last week. Sad trombone.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and definitely better than the last lens I sent in where it was basically a wash vs just buying another one.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks amazing. Love the approach of keeping essentially all of the flagship features in the smaller body.

I put in a preorder. Might wind up cancelling as I'm not sure it makes sense for where I'm at, but I figure the thing is gonna be sold out for like 9 months so may as well have the order in while I think it through.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I vaguely remember the Z6 having a really low rating that didn't wind up that bad in practice / compared to other cameras. I think it was rated for like 300 shots but I'd get 2-3x that easy. Obviously it's taking a hit compared to a Z9 and might not match other stuff, but from pre production reviews seems like people haven't found it too bad.

That said I'm used to carrying around a stack of 98wh V-mount batteries so my perceptions of battery performance are probably wildly out of tune for stills cameras.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seems like it's pretty in line with the competition. Little more expensive, but also a decent bump in all round capability. Like, its video capability is similar if not better than the R5C, which is $400+ more expensive even with current discounts and has a goofy body to dissipate heat. It's only $100 more than the R5 was at launch (though it's on sale right now for a good bit less) and roughly equivalent for stills, better for video; $100 more than the A7RV which has a higher resolution sensor but worse video and slower continuous shooting speed. I think the Z8 seems very competitive.

I think it's gonna sell really well, and as a silver lining it'll probably mean plenty of used Z7 and Z6 from upgrading folks. Which seems like a better fit for hobby-ing if you don't have cash to burn.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brrrmph posted:

Isn’t the Z8/Z9 the same sensor as the D850, but tweaked a bit?

The D850 was BSI while the Z8/Z9 are stacked, which allows for the electronic only shutter thing. Whether you consider that being tweaked a little I dunno.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Came to my senses and cancelled my preorder. I want to replace my A camera soon and dropping this much on a B camera doesn't really make sense given how little stills I do for work anymore. Still think the Z8 looks like a home run for Nikon though.

Picked up an OG Z7 from the local camera store instead so I can have a totally separate stills kit. I'd forgotten how big and heavy the S1H is in comparison to these. I'm pumped. It'll also free me up to not worry about my B cam's stills abilities and just focus on the video world.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been enjoying the 40mm f2 a lot. It's not amazing optically, but makes for such a tiny, light package and for round $200 used I don't mind duplicating some of my nicer but bulkier glass.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All of my straps go to the tripod lug. Not saying the straps shouldn’t hold up the camera obviously but for heavy stuff I find it much nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seems good to me, but my autofocus needs are definitely not D5 level.