Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Anyone waiting on a d850? If you've had one how is it performing? I foresee a few more iterations of DSLRs (maybe a D6 et al) before Nikon move towards MILC flagships.

I'm quite content with owning an F5 as a penultimate film SLR, anyone think the D850 is going to be superseded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Anyone have their hands on a D850 or a Z-series yet?

I mean, it's no Zenit M, but they can both shoot calendars.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
:sickos:

quote:

TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) hereby announces its entry into an agreement to acquire 100% of the outstanding membership interests of RED.com, LLC (RED) whereby RED will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nikon, pursuant to a Membership Interest Purchase Agreement with Mr. James Jannard, its founder, and Mr. Jarred Land, its current President, subject to the satisfaction of certain closing conditions thereunder.

https://www.nikon.com/company/news/2024/0307_01.html

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

REDs use cannon mount at the moment don't they? That will change.

The flange distances are 20mm RF vs 16mm Nikon Z. Maybe they'll introduce a lens adapter with screw focus. :bignews:

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
A recent chat with RED President Jarred Land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoG0U-DoKs4&t=1950s

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

FWIW Nikon licensed the mirrorless FF Tamron f/2.8 G1 zoom trinity (17-28 f/2.8; 28-75 f/2.8 G1; 70-180 f/2.8 G1) for production as Nikon lenses.

Aye, Tamron and Sigma are probably more accurately described as '2nd-party' manufacturers at this point. Both are Japanese optics houses from the 1950s and have increasing levels of integration with other major manufacturers.

I've got an old Sony-branded 'TV Zoom' lens for 16mm that was made by Tamron. Their experience designing optics for systems with very short back-focus/flange distance (e.g. 17mm C-mount) is an area of expertise that would be applicable to modern mirrorless mounts.

Edit: There's always Voigtlander but they aren't really competitive on price vs Tamron & Sigma.

Father O'Blivion fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Also consider the small 24/28/50/60 F2.8 D primes.
They go for pretty cheap and are fun lenses.

Optically they have soft corners but as intended for FF a DX camera chops those off anyway.

I'll second this and add a rec for a 20mm for their compactness. Full frame lenses excel on DX/half-frame plus have extra utility if you ever acquire a full frame body.

There's an almost exhaustive catalog of Nikkor glass at this link if you're feeling particularly detail oriented whilst shopping around: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/specs.html