Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
I've been using a d3100 for a few years and I've loved the poo poo out of this little camera. I'm trying to upgrade to something with better dynamic range, low light capability, and autofocus. I'm not ready to commit serious $$$ though and the D7200 is looking like a very attractive intermediate that hits all my selling points for a very low price. Does this seem like a reasonable upgrade?

E- bonus question. If I go with this and am able to use more autofocusing lenses that I've been missing out on with my d3100, are there any lenses you'd recommend that I can get for cheap used that will work with this thing? I mainly shoot with my 35mm f1.8, but I really like my tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. I'd love something fast that's in between the two, but I've also been on the lookout for a zoom that isn't a kit lens.

TheBananaKing fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose

Mirage posted:

Be careful, even for a 10-stop filter you'd probably need to go f22 at a pretty high speed (and be extra double careful using a DSLR eyepiece, 'cause that's straight lens->mirror->eyeball). The eclipse-specific foil stuff I bought is equivalent to 16.5 stops. I can just barely make out bright incandescent lights through it.

Do not use the eyepiece for a 10d filter at all. Live view only and make sure the aperture is as tight as possible for the lens and it should be fine... You can test on an older camera at whatever time of day the eclipse is supposed to happen where you'll a be, if you have one and are worried about loving up the sensor. There's a pretty big sunspot at the moment, I believe.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Smellrose
Nikon's WiFi implementations are a loving joke, though.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Smellrose
The lack of VR may be an annoyance to you. Or you may not notice it at all depending on your shooting style. There's also a 18-140mm kit lens that could maybe be found cheaply on craisglist or eBay, but it'll definitely go for more than the 18-55.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Smellrose
I've tried, but on my DX with the crop factor it just wasn't worth it at all. I'd assume it wouldn't be much better on an FX. All you get is a small random patch of starry poo poo with nothing to give it context. Unless you have a really precise tripod and want to be quickly panning and spending hours cropping a panorama it's never going to produce very compelling photos, IMHO.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Smellrose
The new Nikkor 10-20 is moderately more expensive than what you quoted for an 8mm fisheye and 8ts arguably much more versatile. I haven't tried any astrophotography with it yet but it's a great lens for the price. ($300 in the US)

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Smellrose
I bought a Yongnuo once... Never again. It's absurdly large and heavier than it should be and it failed while traveling after some very light use. It was packed very well and didn't have any obvious damage on it. Bought two used Nikon speedlights shortly thereafter for about the same price I would have paid for two new Yongnuo. I've abused the hell out of them and they still work perfectly.

The Yongnuo also had the habit of being terribly unreliable as battery levels got low, despite it's assertions that the capacitor was charged and ready. You pay for cheap poo poo and you get cheap poo poo... Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Smellrose
I would assume it's identical to this d7100 one because there's no mention of one specific to the d7200 on Nikon's site, but I dunno- https://parts.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-parts/d7100-battery-grip-connector-cover-1k685-479.html

Looks like you have all the right terms, though.