Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

Man, this thread moves slowly. Is it worth it?

Can't compare with the D600 since I don't have one but the D750 has quite respectable autofocus, and this is coming from someone who shoots mostly birds. It is no D500 but not far off either. Wish the focus point spread was larger though, that could be a problem depending on what/how you shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Shrieking Muppet posted:

TLDR: D750 or D810 or D500?

(I own a D750 and a D500).

Unless you have a need for the extra pixels of the D810 I'd go D750. It's a killer camera with a solid autofocus system and is a fair bit smaller than the rather chunky D810.

D500 is a bit of a specialty tool if you have high demands on fps, autofocus performance, and buffer size (well, technically the buffer isn't that huge but with a fast XQD card it flushes faster than the camera records). For birding it's a stellar body but it seems a bit pointless for "regular" use, though it certainly would work well for most situations.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 10, 2019

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dial M for MURDER posted:

So here's my thinking and maybe I'm way off.
The images I use can only be 10mb, and should be greater than 1000px on the shortest side. I figure if I fill the frame with a full frame camera, I will get the most detail from the image for the size the relative size of the image. Is that how it works or am I completely off base?

Honestly it does not sound like you'd benefit from upgrading to an FX camera. Better that you spend the money on a new lens, lighting, or other related equipment that might have more of an impact on the results. Just start with identifying exactly what it is you are wanting to improve though.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I have a light box I use for the items and that works pretty good. I don't do much post, mostly color correction, and fixing irregularities. I then just use "image size" to make it as big as possible and still be 10mb.
I am open to any suggestions though, because I haven't really been into photography for over a decade.

Although to be 100% honest I may upgrade anyway :) I can write it all off and want to be in the cool full frame kids club

Nothing wrong with upgrading just because you want to, it's fun with new gear and can sometimes be inspiring as well. But if you're wanting advice on what to get you might want to be more specific as to what you think needs to improve. If you just want to go FF for no specific technical reason the D750 is hard to beat for bang for the buck these days. Can get them lightly used for a very reasonable sum and they are excellent do-it-all cameras with solid autofocus, good low light capability, and enough resolution for most needs.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 10, 2019

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Nikon, if you're listening please release the 40mm pancake for the Z mount early 2020 so I can stop wondering when it'll show up. Thanks and merry Xmas.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So the D780 is out. Basically a smaller D750 body with the Z6 sensor in it. Not a terrible upgrade but the Internet is crying over how it's not a $2000 D850, a D5 in a D7500 body, or what the gently caress ever.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

It's almost as if a 102 year old company with great expertise and experience within photography knows better than a bunch of Youtubers and forum posters.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

So it's basically a D750 with on-sensor PDAF for live view and good quality 4K video. Sounds like a good bet to me. The Z series themselves seem like copies of Sony A7 cameras but with fewer native lens choices, while the D780 is like an A7III + DSLR viewfinder and lens selection.

Having owned a handful of A7s as well as a Z6 I can report that compared to at least the A7R2 / A7III, the Z6 has a better EVF, better focus for video, MUCH better ergonomics and fairly sensible menus. Also the Z lenses so far have been outstanding, EVERY SINGLE ONE. There may not be many yet but man, they are good.

I don't dislike Sony at all, but I think they've been playing catch up as a photography tool while leading the way in the technical department.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Any of you ever shoot a pre-VR 500/4 on the Z bodies? Might pick up an AF-S D II since I am being offered a very good price, and figured it might work OK with the in-body stabilization, as well as for a non-stabilized option for the D500.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Who's a happy boy? I'm a happy boy!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, lookie what showed up today. Took a god drat long time to source one here in commieland.

Just been playing around with the settings (900+ page manual, good god). It is so, so much quicker in every way than the Z6/Z7 and so far the tracking seems pretty exceptional. Going to do some proper shooting in a few weeks so we'll see how it performs on birds. The animal eye thing seems almost like cheating but I'll take it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

The 40 is pretty darn nice to be honest. Sharp and quick to focus. Doesn't have a lot of "character" but it's a very competent lens with pleasing enough rendering. A 40 + 24-200 makes for a really solid travel kit; I don't really feel the need for a faster lens since f/2 is plenty for modern bodies with their excellent high ISO performance. If I really want the "best of the best" the Sigma 40/1.4 is sitting next to it in the lens cabinet but that's a wee bit bulkier...

It's on the Z9 right now because it was just the lens I brought along to check out the camera. Most of the time the Z9 will have a 500PF+FTZ mounted.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Huh my D1s have 1/16000 mechanical shutters but none of my pro bodies made after D1 go that fast. I wonder why. Unreliable exposure? Too hard on the parts?

I think the 1/16000 speed was partially reliant on the CCD sensor and wasn’t purely mechanical. The Canon 1D was also capable of 1/16000, again with a CCD.

The Z9 will do 1/32000 but lacks a mechanical shutter entirely.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

therattle posted:

I considered the FTZ and something like a 58mm 1.4 but it's way too expensive and I am not sure what effect the FTZ will have on speed and quality.

I have yet to find an F-mount lens that doesn't work at least as well on the Z bodies with the FTZ as on a native one. There should be zero impact on image quality since there are no optics in the adapter, and autofocus is great. I have the 58/1,4 as one of my few F mount lenses (since there's no real Z mount replacement for it) and love it but yes, it is kind of pricy. The 50/1,8 Z mount lens is a better overall option though it lacks the character of the 58. (Yes, I own both, and yes I might have a problem)

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

therattle posted:

That’s really interesting to hear. I am slightly concerned about the weight of the FTZ, but more than that there isn’t an obvious F lens that I’d want to use it with that solves my problem.

Thinking on it further the 85mm probably isn’t too long at 1.5x; I’ll probably go with that and the 16-50. I can always swap it for a 50 if it’s too long.

I think the additional length of the FTZ is more of an annoyance than the weight, even on a relatively light body like a Z6. But it mounts solidly and there's zero play with an F mount lens. Nikon really did a killer job with it; not a huge fan of the tripod mount but that went away with the FTZ II (I think mostly due to interfering with the grip on the Z9).

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Another vote for the Siggy 35. Great lens and I think well worth it if you really like 35mm and don’t mind the size.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

Looks pretty sweet. The battery life rating looks a bit iffy.
Isn’t that pretty low for a modern mirrorless?

I think the Canon R5 is rated at ~450 shots and that was released three years ago now.

The CIPA rating is loving useless for modern cameras it seems.

Anyway, I sat there F5-ing various Euro sites and one posted the Z8 two minutes before the official announcement so ordered there. Should arrive end of May according to their estimate (I am dubious). Love my Z9 but I never use the vertical grip and the Z8 should be similar to my Z7 + Smallrig grip size wise which is perfect for me. For extended sessions I'll just grab a couple of spare batteries if needed. The Z9 battery is 36wH and I think the EL15 is 16 so around 45% of the capacity.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 10, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

I know I’m cheap rear end hell, but $4000 US seems a little steep, no? Any cheaper Nikon body alternatives are over two years old.

It looks amazing. I get that it’s a baby Z9. Inflation, etc.

I dunno. This is the first Nikon Z body that has me tempted to go mirrorless but if I bought the body tomorrow I’d have nothing left for lenses for a while. It’s just a hobby for me.

Prices overall are getting kind of nutty. Sony A1 sitting at 6500 bucks, the Canon R5 (three years old now?) around 3500. It’s probably part of the shrinking market and focus on well heeled enthusiast shooters.

Have you thought about a Z6 or Z7? Yeah, the AF isn’t as good as the Z9, but it’s still pretty drat decent and the cameras are amazing performers. I’ve used a Z7 for everything except birding and have been very happy with it. Outstanding output and works great with F mount glass using the FTZ. Viewfinder is the first EVF I actually thought was good enough to replace OVF,

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

For what you are getting its not. Its actually pretty cheap.
The rest of the lineup does need an upgrade though but Nikon have been struggling part wise for a while. Its likely they cannot produce a Z8 and Z6iii/z7iii at the same time. The Z5 needs an update as well really. And they still havent made a high end ASPC. Think they might just be semi-abandoning that format altogether.

I don't know how big a part of the cost the sensor is these days, perhaps it just isn't worth it. Since we have a bunch of FF cameras sporting 45-60MP sensors now, you'd either need a _significantly_ cheaper 24-ish MP APS camera or a high density APS sensor around 35-40MP for it to make sense. A 24MP APS sensor would push a lot less data so could potentially use cheaper processing, but then you can't reuse the components you're already producing/sourcing for the FF cameras. So, uh, maybe, if it sold well enough? But it doesn't seem like a slam dunk at this point and with the market being what it is maybe not worth the gamble.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

toggle posted:

Z8 owning +3 days on. Battery life on the EN-EL15c batteries is really great. I was shooting photos most of the day and it didn't buckle that bad. Switching to video chewed through it, but for photos its fine. Started at 9am, had to change to an older EN-EL15b by around 2pm. Obviously not a Z9 all day long/all night strong battery, but it's decent.

Also, the Z8 doesn't like third party batteries, which is annoying. The Nikon branded EN-EL15c batteries are pretty cheap anyway so can't hurt to grab a couple more.

Overall, it's very good. And I like it.

Glad to hear it! Mine shipped today so should have it pretty soon. Been using the Z9 for almost a year now but looking forward to a slightly smaller+lighter body. Should make a sweet birding combo with the 800PF.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

frumpykvetchbot posted:

* if you had to find anything to complain about the camera maybe starts to overheat shooting 8K60 raw after like half an hour?

Well there you go, once again a complete failure for Nikon.

I assume there's a Northrup video with a "DISASTER" or "FAILURE" thumbnail on this already.

Mine's on the way via DHL, probably be here tomorrow or Monday. Going to enjoy the 400g or so saved weight from the Z9. If it balances well on the 800 PF (which I expect it will) I'll sell the Z9 since I don't use GPS and 45% of the battery capacity is fine with me, especially considering the size of the batteries.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

I haven't used them personally, but for what it's worth I was recently at our local showing of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition and I was struck by how many great shots people had taken with the Sigma 150-600mm lenses (unfortunately it didn't say if it they were the C or S variant). Like this one and this one.

The last one I went to was before COVID, and it seemed like most of the winning photos were shot with 500, 600 and 800mm primes that are out of reach for most people.

The modern long zoom lenses are really pretty drat decent. I have a Nikon 200-500 here and I'd say it's almost as sharp as the 500PF in practical use. Where they tend to fall behind a bit is on fast action and tracking autofocus. But printing normal-ish sizes I think the sharpness is definitely good enough.

On the topic of long primes I think the 800Z is a bit of a revolution. Sharp, fast focusing, and I think around $6500 in the US. The 800/5.6 cost, what, $16-18k? Sure $6500 is out of reach for a lot of people but for serious hobbyists it isn't quite as unattainable as previous options.

Got my Z8 in the mail yesterday and I gotta say it's impressively chunky. Looking at it online it seemed like a slightly bigger Z7 but this one feels more like a D500 size wise. Probably going to unload the Z9 now since the Z8 has everything I need in a neater package.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

Pretty sure half the people buying the gear day one don’t have it either, but that doesn’t stop them

At least in my case my photography gear at this point is worth a fair amount, but that value has been slowly built up since the mid-90s. I try to minimize the cost of ownership of gear so for a long time now I've been purchasing mostly slightly used pro gear that I can resell a year or two later for almost the same $. My experience is that over time it's been better than buying cheaper glass+bodies and taking a bigger hit when reselling. I did splurge on the Z8 though and bought it new so sometimes you just gotta YOLO it.

But even so, it's a hobby that's a hell of a lot cheaper than boats and cars and poo poo like that. I know a lot of car fanatics who spend silly amounts on mods and track days and so on.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I wonder if the new Tamron 17-50 will show up in a Nikon version. My initial reaction was "meh" until I read that it's full frame. Would make for an amazing travel lens if the optics are decent.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

Let us know how you like it. I’m sure it will feel fun and fresh compared to the D750.

I really want the reviews to be positive because it does feel a bit like a rehash of a three-year-old camera, but maybe the user experience is a joy.
I’m also curious how the autofocus borrowed from the Z9 works in the real world. If it’s close it’s a great buy at $2K.

Yeah, I'm interested in seeing how the autofocus works as well. If this turns out to be a 24MP junior Z8 with slightly slower framerate $2k is a smokin' deal.

Looking at the forums and articles there's not the usual amount of bitching about how Nikon have completely failed everyone once again so they must've done something really right with this one.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Can you even get $750 for a D750 these days? I see "like new" ones going for around $500-550 here in Sweden now. Still a great camera.

Prices overall are trending real low on photo gear here lately. Bought a really nice Leica MDa with Voigtlander 15mm and finder for $500 last week.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 20, 2023

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Marklar posted:

It feels weird that a 6.3 is $4,800; I'm guessing the size and weight will definitely entice people. I'll have to see some comparisons to the 180-600 but it's just so much cheaper and people love it.

Well, the 500/5.6 PF is like $3600 and the 800/6.3 $6500 so it doesn't seem unreasonable.

As for the 180-600 I think Nikon will have failed if the 600/6.3 doesn't outperform it both when it comes to IQ and AF. And the 600 is insanely small and light.

That said, I am planning to purchase the 180-600 myself, but mainly because I already have the 800/6.3 for birding. The 180-600 would be a useful, flexible lens for when you need shorter focal lengths for bigger wildlife.

Should Nikon release a Z mount D500 (i.e. Z9 AF with an APS sensor, ideally 30-35MP) that and the 600/6.3 would make an absolutely bonkers birding setup though.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I honestly can’t imagine there being a lot of overlap between those using BBF and those wanting to take selfies.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

FTZ with screw drive and in a retro style would be an instant purchase for almost anyone with a ZF

I am honestly surprised one of the fancy-adapter companies hasn't made one yet. Maybe the power available through the Z mount electronics is insufficient to drive one and that's the issue?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

VoodooXT posted:

I saw one company was making a F mount adapter with screw drive motor in it.... but designed for Sony E mount. :smith:

Just stack it with this:
https://techartpro.com/?product=techart-sony-e-nikon-z-autofocus-adapter-tze-01

and report back

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

frumpykvetchbot posted:

This whole issue I think goes away when you go mirrorless. I have only a few of those Sigma f-mount ART lenses, the 24mm f/1.4 and also the 105mm f/1.4 (a huge chonker with a preposterous 105mm filter thread). I had a hell of a time getting those primes dialed in for my D4 and D850 using that USB puck. The 24mm one I had to dial to one extreme end position to make it focus nearly right. I suspected it was busted somehow (I bought it secondhand) but once I put it on the Z6II and later the Z9 (with a FTZ) it was tack sharp and perfectly focused always.

Yeah, my Siggy 40 wasn't the most reliable lens on a D750 but that issue vanished when I started using it on the Z bodies.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Yeast posted:

Gib Z9 pixel shift :colbert:

180mp files god drat

I like how they let the Z8 shine a bit and not just have it be a slightly lesser Z9.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

The pixel shifting isn't done in-body and has to be handled via the Nikon NX software. Not sure if a Lightroom plugin could be introduced so things could be handled all in one spot?

Do any cameras handle it in-body? I wish it was an option but not sure if it's just using too much processing to be practically viable. I was certain Olympus or Pentax would've pulled it off but it doesn't appear to be the case. (edit: looks like the K-1 Mark II might do something like this?)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 7, 2024

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

p0stal b0b posted:

The high-end Olympus models have had in-camera tripod High-Res Mode for a while, and hand-held High-Res mode more recently. Tripod captures multiple images and combines them in-body to create an 80mp image from the 20mp sensor, hand-held mode creates a 50mp image.

To quote from DPReview in 2020: "In this mode, your camera shifts the sensor eight times, in increments of one micron, capturing one exposure per adjustment. These images are then combined automatically to create a single 80MP photograph in either JPEG and / or Raw file format."

In that case I can’t see the Z8 being unable to do it in camera considering the available processing power. Maybe we will see it in the future? That and pre release RAW would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

A Z500 would be appreciated but at this point quite a few birders are shooting Z8 or Z9 so I think they would need to crank up the pixel count to at least 30-35MP for it to make good sense. A Z500 likely wouldn’t be cheap so if it’s competing with used Z8s it has to do better than a Z8 DX crop. Maybe 35MP or so, raw precapture at 25-30 fps.