Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Oh my god, I had no idea you couldn't use manual focus lenses without a splitscreen focus aid. Thanks Nikon thread, guess I will go put the split prism back into my F3 after years of using a plain one.:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Musket posted:

:allears:

I want to take this post out back, and get it pregnant.

What are you waiting for? :gooncamp:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

vote_no posted:

All I know about film cameras is that the thread seems like it recommends the FM2, and it sure looks pretty. Operable without batteries sounds pretty awesome if you know your exposures.

Operable without batteries doesn't matter in practise. Old cameras need the batteries replaced like once a year and they are tiny watch batteries. I keep a spare set of F3 batteries sealed in gaffer tape in all my bags because it takes up almost no space.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Leperflesh posted:

So yeah, K-Rock is definitely off base telling people that their camera literally doesn't matter, but I think he's trying to speak to the kit-fetishists who would benefit from more attention paid to learning the basics, thinking about photography as a creative endeavor, and then developing an artistic process. All of which can be done with almost any camera that is functioning correctly.

You are giving him too much credit. K-rock recommends whatever will net the most Amazon referral credit from people who don't know any better than to believe him.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mightaswell posted:

It's not that the df is too niche, it's that the df missed the niche. The M9 (and friends) are 100% on point as digital M rangefinders, where the Df totally missed the point and the opportunity to be a digital F(3/A/M/E or whatever ).

The Leica is at least pretty, the DF might be a decent camera but it's design really missed the target audience.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

McSpatula posted:

My old workhorse d70s is about to die, and I'm looking for a cheap replacement. Is there any reason not to get a mint used d7000 in the 30k shutter count range for $350, especially after comparing other used bodies in that price point?

I shoot 90% of my stuff with either an 85 1.4 or a 70-200 2.8, mostly vacation snapshots and things for prints here and there.

The lack of full frame doesn't bother me, and I'm not using this to make a buck, so consider this a purchase for someone who enjoys taking snapshots here and there.

Any Nikon dslr you buy will crush the D70s in both usability and image quality.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Musket posted:

35mm film was nothing more than a stop gap to 4x5 film :colbert:

Same except unironically.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

Hey guys, looking to put together a Nikon kit for weddings this season. I'm set on the D750, but need help with lens selections. All primes, and preferably in the following focal lengths; 24/35/50/85. Total budget is around $4300. Coming from Canon, all the lens choices are a bit confusing when it comes to determining the best. The body is right at $2,300, so I have about $2 to put towards the lenses. There are a ton of choices in the $400-$600 range, hence my confusion. Thanks.

No second body? Shooting all primes with one body at a wedding can be a little rough, was this they way you worked with Canons? I have been using primes exclusively for a long time and I wouldn't consider that unless it was a free gig or an emergency.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh no I have 5 Canon bodies and a host of lenses. This is just a foray into Nikon.

Ok, your post made it sound like you were switching over completely. If I was me I would get an 85mm and either a 28mm or 35mm to start. Then fill in gaps as needed later since you already have another system. I shot my first wedding in years a couple of weeks ago and 80% of my shots were 27mm and 84mm but it depends on your style.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

McSpatula posted:

Can anyone recommend a hasselblad v mount to f-mount adapter? It looks like there's the fotodix one and a bunch of no name brass adapters on ebay, are they more or less the same brass adapter?

I think the Fotodiox ones are all aluminum. I have one with a tripod foot that's probably a Fotodiox or Rainbow Imaging one and it works fine. You wouldn't happen to be the dude that just emailed me about my CL ad selling one are you?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

McSpatula posted:

Nope, that wasn't me, but if you have one for sale, I'm all ears.

I was gonna sell it locally in Seattle because I hate shipping stuff but PM me and we can work something out.

Delivery McGee posted:

What is people's obsession with primes? I can understand back in the '70s when zooms were kinda crap and slow, but now you can get a Sigma/Tamron 24-70 and 70-200, both f/2.8 or better, for under $1600 total. You're only printing 8x10s, the tiny bit of extra image quality from primes doesn't really matter, does it?

I just hate zoom lenses. I don't care how good they are, I have always used primes and always will.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Delivery McGee posted:

Fair enough, I understand now. I'm a photojournalist by trade, so I prefer zooms (preferably fast and corporate-owned) for obvious reasons, but you artists have time to set up the perfect framing and pick the exact focal length you want. That must be nice. :v:

Sorry you feel the need to blame your shortcomings on your job. Don't worry with the state of photojournalism as a career field you should be able to get in plenty of time practicing composition between cars at the drive through. :v:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

you seem kinda mad that someone has a different job than you

Nope, just that every post contains a reference to it like it's some sort of magic bullet explaining away whatever we are talking about. I should start doing that. Imagine the fun we can have comparing stuff In PAD to things I have seen inserted into or removed from the human body violently! (I'm not gonna do that)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

This photo was taken by me. Both lenses were focused manually with AF-confirm. On a tripod. Even if I somehow hosed up focus, that doesn't forgive the purple.

The color purple has been associated with royalty and such since the old testament. Excuuuuuuse Nikon for trying to add a little majesty to your photos.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Confirming Wasabi batteries are great, I have 4 of them for my Fujis their charger is nice as well. Anyone buying OEM batteries instead of a Wasabi 2 pack that includes a charger is insane.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5R2BQ9B0TVZEV8F

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

sildargod posted:

It's a bit of a pain in the rear end, actually. My ratio of keepers to throwaways has landed me up with way more keepers per shoot now that I have a D800, and that in turn means triple or even quadruple the post time, which means I start getting worried about inundating the client with too many choices which aaarggggghhhhh.

It is goddamn amazing though.

Get better at editing.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Deleting stuff takes no effort.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mido posted:

something special arrived today

Chromatic abberation?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Kenshin posted:

No number, it's the Df.

Which stand for "Da Fuq?"

FAKE EDIT: Paging red19fire to defend your ugly camera purchase :v:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

This is accurate, the F5 is beast among cameras.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I thought about getting one but decided i don't really need that much camera and this was a steal since it came with the box and manual for about $100.

Probably the best $100 you can spend on 35mm gear.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Speaking of gear I already have a nifty 50 and 70-300 for it any other lenses that might be good to grab?

If you own an F mount camera (or adapter) and don't own a 105mm f/2.5 (AI or AIS), then you are missing out. Great focal length on 35mm or APS-C, small, and sharp as a tack wide open. McCurry's famous afghan girl photo was taken with a 105mm f/2.5 and an FM2 in case you need an example.

Edit: Time is hard

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 12, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

I didn't know the F100 was available in 1985 :v:

Oops, I was tired this morning. McCurry used F100s later in his career.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Dren posted:

It's pretty sharp at f/8 in the 18-35 range :shrug:

A lens that isn't sharp at f/8 is a paperweight. So that's not really a good judgment of quality.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

Since I am a huge sperg, I couldn't stand using a silver lens on my black F100. Tonight I found somebody selling the same lens (the AF 28-80 3.3-5.6 G) in black for $20 so I bought it as a replacement. It works perfectly but there is a small bit of resistance when I turn the focus manually past a certain point. Almost like there is something inside catching. Once I pass that point, it's smooth again. It's kinda subtle, but my silver one is completely smooth the whole way. The F100 has no problem with autofocusing it either. Should I be concerned? I guess who cares for $20 right?

It's been dropped. One of the brushes in the AF motor is out of alignment. I had the same issue with my 50mm AF-D except it was bad enough to stop the AF motor. I think it cost me $75 to get fixed at a local shop. Honestly it's not a big deal as long as the AF motor doesn't hang up.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
He's right about the sensor but yeah the D2x's AF will crush nearly anything.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Kenshin posted:

Bet you can't guess what ISO this picture is taken at. Taken in RAW but directly from camera with no modification in post-processing, exported from Capture NX-D.
This Nikon D7200 is pretty great. Can't wait to see what it does on a sunny morning.

ISO 12800, f/2.8, 1/60s (NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G)

100% center crop:

Looks stellar but don't judge high ISO images based on well lit scenes. Test it outside at night or in a bar, where getting f/1.4 @60th is really pushing it. My old D700 looked alright at that speed in the living room but not so much in the dark.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Kenshin posted:

True. I'm expecting good things even then, however. I just did the same shot with the lights off so the only lighting was the streetlight outside and the TV. 1/40s f/2.8 ISO 16000 and it's still surprisingly good, with more noise just starting to creep in.

ISO 16000 on this thing is better than ISO 6400 on my D3200.

Sensor tech is getting better all the time. A few years ago I would have told you hands down that I would never buy another crop camera. My APS-C Fuji crushes my old D700 in the same (or similar) lighting.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I never used auto ISO on my D700 because it was continuously variable, which sounds great until you find out that on older sensors nonfull stop ISO settings tended to be noisier because reasons. Fuji's auto is great and only sets full stops so now I use it anytime I'm not using a strobe. Seriously did they ever fix that whole ISO 250 is noisier than ISO 400 thing?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

McCoy Pauley posted:

So I just upgraded to a D7100 from a D5100. Should I worry about a screen protector for screen? Nikon doesn't seem to make some kind of plastic cover for it, so I guess the only options are covers that adhere like for a smartphone, right?

I have used both glass and polycarbonate protectors on my fujis. The glass ones are nice but can shatter if you chip an edge. Just find something on Amazon with good reviews.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Musket posted:

A D5 but no D400. What gives Nikon.

The xpro2 is the d400

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sauer posted:

Would any of you happen to know the effect of an AI conversion gone to far. A local pawn shop has a 35mm f/2.8 for cheap that's in great shape except the homegrown AI conversion looks to have gone half a stop to far, about f16.3 instead of f11.6. I imagine the camera would think you're a half stop wider than you really are.

That's pretty much it unless you have an F4 or FA. Except it won't think you are a stop wider it will think you are a stop slower the further away from start the AI fridge is the smaller the lens max aperture. So your lens will report to the camera that it's an f/3.3 not f/2.8.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/nikonfmount/aiais.htm

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 16, 2017

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I think if Nikon's rumored MILC camera doesn't come out soon and be good you won't see too many more iterations of DSLRs because Nikon makes good cameras but poor choices (much like my posting). The P&S market is dead and the entry level DSLR market wants mirrorless or good video or probably both, those are the cameras that actually pay their bills. It's not a good time to be a camera division that is expected to turn a profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

learnincurve posted:

I await Nikon’s mirrorless cameras with joyful glee because then I will finally be able to afford to upgrade my D300 with a cheap full frame with bugger all shutter actuations.

EVFs aren’t all that they are cracked up to be, imo they hold learners back, and at no point while using a DSLR have I thought “come on you laggy piece of poo poo” while looking through a viewfinder.

Counterpoint: new evfs are really good. I use a Nikon DSLR at my dayjob and constantly wish it had the same wysiwyg as my Fujis. A live histo would also be great for the kind of work I do, which is ecommerce product photography in a high volume shop.