Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I did a brief but simple comparison of three lenses on the D800e: the Nikon 20mm f/4 Ai, Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 AF-S, and Zeiss 21mm.

Spoiler alert: Zeiss crushes it. But anyway: http://bryancookphoto.com/d800elens/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I bought a new piece of equipment for the first time in ten years this week. keh.com, bitch

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

evil_bunnY posted:

Where'd you get your d800?
KEH

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Ashex posted:

Not sure how but my 50mm took a hit to the thread :( Anyone know the cost of repairs or if it's even worth fixing?

It'll be cheaper to buy a new one, especially if you buy used.

Or just live with it. I have a 50 that is cracked worse than that; takes some effort to get a filter on, but it's okay.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Stupid lens question:

Is there any reason, other than VR which I do not need, to get the new Nikon 70-200 f/4 for $1400 instead of one of the older Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 lenses? About the only thing I think the new one has going for it is it is lighter, which I would really appreciate but for nearly twice the cost I can probably deal with.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

DOF isn't a concern. I've borrowed an 80-200 of the sort I mentioned and it is perfect. D800e, so obviously I would notice if it were anything but perfect.

Their capabilities are, as far as I'm concerned, the same. The question would be if there's anything else I don't know about. "No," is an acceptable answer.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Just buy from KEH goddammit.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I've used one and almost bought one, may still. The resolution on full frame is equal to anything you'll get out of a 70-200 2.8 (which is to say fantastic) though a little less so on a crop sensor (you probably will not notice this or if you do it won't matter for your application). No distortion, CA and all that is negligible, and all that's correctable with lens profiles these days.

If it's a thing you need, there's no issue with it per se. It's a bit hefty, if that's a consideration.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

phimosis

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

If I could remember how much much I spent on stupid poo poo like that years ago I'd probably jump off my balcony.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lmfao if you buy a beat to poo poo D2h

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yeah it's a nice lens but in that condition it could just as well fall apart next week. I think you're foolish to buy it at all, really. Even more so if you're able to borrow it anytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

If you're not worried about 1) enormous print sizes or 2) lots of bokeh being key to your composition, then crop/full frame is academic, and crop results in more affordable lenses anyway.

The viewfinder isn't going to be as pleasant on a crop sensor.

There are much bigger things to worry about, like actually making a good photograph.