Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Looking at updating my camera, because mine is old.

I have a Nikon d50 that I'll be selling. I've got the 18-55mm lens that came with it, and I'll probably sell it along with the d50. I also have a Sigma 18-50mm wide angle and a Sigma 55-200mm zoom lens. Both of these lenses work on my d50, and from what I've researched they should be just fine on the d5200 or d5300. I'd be looking at buying the body-only, without lens Would there be any good reason to buy the d5200 or d5300 with the stock 18-55 lens if I've got these two lenses that work with it? Should I buy an additional lens to compliment those? I do a lot of landscapes, some long-exposure stuff. Very much a hobbyist, not a serious photographer in any regard.

Is deltacloseouts a legit site? I'm finding a d5300 body for a solid $250 less than it is on BandH and it sounds too good to be true.

http://deltacloseouts.com/details/55081?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-OCqBRDXmIWvveLE3_cBEiQAZWfImWH5qSxbKOUFA0i37D1-2WoGh6cbNps0jrp7_P883xEaAsvH8P8HAQ

Any other thoughts/suggestions for getting my camera up-to-date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Generally a bad sign of their prices are so different to b&h, who are generally the benchmark. I'm suspicious that they refer to themselves as Closeout while the domain is Closeouts, and the only review site I found said established 2015 while they claim 29 years. The reviews (only 4) smelt like they could've been bought.

Also, is it worth selling your 50? The going rate here isn't high, and I think I'll keep mine (or pass down) to use in situations where I don't want to take my new body out. My sensor definitely needs a proper clean and the pop up flash is a bit sticky which doesn't help, but even without those issues it's not as if I could buy much with the proceeds. Always good to have a backup.

I'm moving across the planet and getting rid of most of what I own, so 'spare dslr body' would not be something that makes the cut into the duffel bag.

Thanks for the info!

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I ran the comparison on B and H between the cameras in the Nikon 5000 line.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Nikon_D5200_vs_Nikon_D5300_vs_Nikon_D5500/BHitems/910146-REG_1010022-REG_1111429-REG

I went down to best buy today and held the 3 cameras. I like the way the 5500 fits in my hand a little better, but I'm not sure if I can justify the extra $100 for just that.

I'm looking to buy one soon (yay!) and other than the size of the body and the ergonomics of it I can't seem to find much of a difference between the 3. Is there something I'm missing as someone who hasn't camera shopped in a long time?

road potato fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 2, 2015