Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm looking to switch over from Sony since my camera's currently breaking and I haven't invested too much into my setup. I've got a Sony a290 entry level DSLR currently with the 18-55 kit lens and a 50mm 1.7f lens. I've decided that within my price range I'm going to upgrade to a d90. So far on my list of purchases I've got the d90 with the 18-55mm lens which leaves me about $300 left for others lenses/accessories. My next purchases if my camera wasn't breaking would have been a fisheye and 70-210 F4. What do you guys think I should purchase for my remaining $300 with that in mind? If there is a better lens than the 18-55, I'm all ears as well.

Edit:
After more browsing I've got this list of stuff so far:
Nikon d90 $260
18-55mm $70
Nikon 50mm 1.8f $100
Nikon 55-200mm $100
Accessories $47

huhu fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I used to have a Sony A55, I sold all my gear and switched to an RX100. Now I'd like to get a DSLR again. I've been eyeing up the D5300 and thinking of getting the Tamron SP Auto Focus 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP Aspherical (IF) Zoom Lens to go with it.

Is there a better starting lens/body I should be looking at for this price range? Should I be considering perhaps a prime and a different zoom lens?

huhu fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 6, 2017

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I generally just shoot aperture priority. Is there not some sort of shift-like button to toggle between shutter and aperture for manual? On the A55 it had one dial that I believe controlled aperture and if you held another button down it would control shutter speed.

I also really like the swivel screen.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

aricoarena posted:

Cool, thanks everyone. I told them to try zooming in when I called back earlier.

They figured out DX crop mode.

Literally have never owned a nikon, own more film cameras than digital, and dont have a dslr but they know i like cameras so i must know how they all work right?

Or you're willing to figure out their problems for them.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
If you could bring one lens on a 5 day hiking trip in Alaska what would it be? How about if it had to be under 400 used?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm itching to buy a new DX lens but I'm feeling like I'll either need to drop a ton of money to upgrade one of the ones listed below or any purchase I make will be quite similar to the ones below. Thoughts?

Nikon 35mm f1.8
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Tamron 90mm f2.8

Nikon 10-20mm f4.5-5.6
Sigma 17-50mm f2.8
Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've got a remote shutter release that I replaced the battery on maybe a month or two ago. I connect it to my camera - and press the shutter release. The screen goes black but no photo gets taken. Thoughts?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
This issue appears to be intermittent. gently caress yeah.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I own a Nikon N60 SLR and a Nikon D7500. From my research, it sounds like no lenses that support auto focus on the D7500 will work for the N60? Are there any Nikon (or other company) film cameras that support auto focus with crop sensor lenses.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've been eyeing switching over to a mirrorless system for weeks. Is it a sign?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
About a year ago I decided to sell my D7500 and lenses and go mirrorless to simplify my setup. I also had never had a full frame so I tried that out as well. I've currently got a Z 5 with the 24-120 lens. I want to get a few new lenses. I'm thinking I want something for low light portraits like a 50mm f/1.4, something for landscapes and star photography like a wide angle f/4, and something for birding like a 70-300. I've looked at the prices for Z lenses and they're all a lot more than I want to spend. I'm thinking of getting the FTZ ii and going with F lenses. Either that, or just get rid of my full frame setup and switch to a crop sensor mirrorless like the Nikon Zfc or the Sony a6400. Thoughts?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I bought the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DI VC USD AF Lens for Nikon F Mount to be used with my FTZ II adaptor on my Nikon Z5. When I connect everything, the camera automatically switches to manual. It looks like I'll need to buy an adaptor from Tamron to load new firmware on the lens to be able to use it. is that correct?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Well that’s dumb, for this specific lens you need to mail it in to get the firmware update.

https://www.tamron.com/global/consumer/support/download/firmware/a011/nikon_f/

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

quote:

Hi huhu,

The A011 will not autofocus on the Z series cameras, even with the firmware update, unfortunately.

Kind regards,
Tamron Support

Sweet :tif:

I leave for Alaska next week and I can't find a decent lens to substitute and get in time. And the new Nikon lens doesn't release until I'm on the road. Ahhhhhh.

huhu fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 20, 2023

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

huhu posted:

Sweet :tif:

I leave for Alaska next week and I can't find a decent lens to substitute and get in time. And the new Nikon lens doesn't release until I'm on the road. Ahhhhhh.

I’m now the proud owner of the Nikon Z 100-400.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Anyone have the 1.4x or 2x Nikon Z teleconverter? I've got the 100-400 lens and I'm curious how it'd feel at 200-800.

I just watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAOPEBpJ78s

And his claim is that a cropped photo, with lower ISO, shot with the 100-400 is going to be better than a 200-800 photo. $600 is pretty steep if there's not really a difference.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Fabulousity posted:

1/100 F8 ISO 400 across the board. Z8 body produced JPEGs on "normal". Apologies that I nudged the tripod head a bit between the pairs:

100-400 w/ 1.4 @ 140mm
100-400 /w 1.4 @ 560mm
100-400 @ 140mm
100-400 @ 400mm

Sweet thanks!

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Just a note - I'm not sure how widespread it is but some lenses just don't work on FTZ with autofocus. I learned the hard way with the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3. Talked to 3 different people who told me 3 different thngs before I realized it was actually impossible to get it to autofocus with the FTZ.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've always felt like Tamron and Sigma were solid 3rd party lenses for Nikon DX. As I'm looking at new lenses for Nikon Z full frame, I only see 3 Tamron and 0 Sigma which is a bummer. Curious what other third party lenses yall would put on the same level as Sigma and Tamron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Just saw this video pop up today on my YT feed, looks like we're getting a ton of lenses this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31zuwMpkuw