Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

This post reserved for some kind of updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

BonoMan posted:

I actually meant to ask this question too...the quality of the included lens.

If nothing else, the old 28-80 3.5-5.6 AF-D is a shockingly good lens, for like a hundred bucks usually.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

aliencowboy posted:

Yeah, this is the lens I got for $35. I got a step up ring for my polarizer and it worked really well. It feels really cheap, but the optics are surprisingly good.

Yeah I got it for... some small amount when I was in Sydney, and it's the one thing Ken Rockwell was right about. lovely plastic construction, aperture not that fast, but hot drat the optics are some of the best you can get for your money. Even a great lens on a crop body, which is what I use it on.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

The 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G AF-S is good too.

Is this the one that's absurdly cheap for no discernable reason? Because if so, I used to own that lens, and were it not for some financial difficulties at the time I still would. Optically it's good, if not amazing, but lightning-fast AF and generally awesome quality make it a great buy if you can find one.

Am I the only one who's increasingly beginning to like old film body kit lenses on crop bodies? It's not QUITE as convenient a focal range as the traditional 18-55, but I've been finding it's nice to have the extra bit on the long end, and 24/28mm is still moderately wide on the other end.

Also in response to your wrong-opinions post in the old thread, there is ONE more-expensive-kit-lens that would be a legitimate upgrade - if you have the 18-55, consider the 18-55 VR. The VR is great, it's not very expensive, and it's just a good lens for the price.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

now and forever, amen.

This is a Correct Opinion in this case. The 35/1.8 isn't like "the lens everyone should have", although it's awesome and I use mine a lot and it's a great value for the money. The weather sealing is a nice bonus, mine's been hit straight-on with a 4-foot wave and didn't even care.

But yeah, if you want a fast prime in that focal range, the 35/1.8 is the lens to get.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FasterThanLight posted:

It's a macro lens, so it focuses much closer. It's also extremely sharp. It's not long enough to give you close shots of really small things, but it will be excellent for product photos.

It does pretty well with the old PK-13 extension tube, and those are cheap as hell these days.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mest0r posted:

It depends on the camera, the D7000 allows you to shoot aperture priority with MF lenses as long as your tell it the minimum aperture of the lens.

The D7000, if I recall, also has an AI metering tab, which the D5100 doesn't.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

That 70s Shirt posted:

The older 80-200 f2.8 (two-ring version) is no slouch, either. Unless you absolutely need the VR you could save some money picking one of those up. I used one for years before I got my D800 and decided to go exclusively primes. Easily one of my favorite lenses I've ever used.

I have this lens and owns pretty hard, especially for the money.

The M/A clutch is a bit dumb but I've never been bothered by it. The limit switch can be handy (I seem to recall the limit is 8-10 feet or something).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Doggles posted:

Nice, had no idea about the 80-200 version until now. That's going into the consideration pool as well.

Both my 18-105 and 55-300 have vibration reduction so I may try turning that off and seeing how my shots come out to see if I've really been needing that feature. Although I know being able to go up to f/2.8 as opposed to the f/5.6 I've been used to will be a huge help.

Bearing in mind, of course, that the vibration reduction only helps with camera shake, not subject movement.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

I'd wait and at least try a Sigma 35/1.4, which comes with dazzling AUTOFOCUS. Both Nikon 35's are meh.

You shut your filthy whore mouth.

Although it's true that the 35 2.5 E is a soft piece of poo poo.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Legdiian posted:

Been shooting with a D5100 for about a year and a half now and thinking about upgrading. Some of my gripes with the D5100 are :

- Not enough buttons. I have to dig into menus a lot to change settings

- Autofocus performance. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a camera but I find it hunts around alot

- Small. I think I have relatively normal sized hands but it still feels like I'm holding a toy.

I was originally going to look at a D7000 but when the D600 was released I starting playing the whole "Well for this much more..." game. And that's a dangerous game because then you start eyeing the D800.

I primarily take outdoor action photos of motorcycles. Stunt bikes in particular. The action takes place in parking lots and I have gotten away with only needing a 200mm zoom to get some pretty good shots.

I do this as a hobby, but I would like to produce the best pictures possible. Is the D800 (or even D600) overkill for me? The only thing that scares me about the D800, besides the price, is the 36 megapixel sensor. When I go out I end up taking a *lot* of pictures because the tricks happen so fast I like to get a bunch of different shots. I see myself filling up a lot of memory card and hard drives (I also have a terrible habit of keeping every picture I take).

Any advice?

It's odd to advise someone against a full-frame body, but if you're barely getting away with 200mm on a crop body, you're gonna need 300mm on a full frame body, and at f/2.8, that's a little expensive.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Legdiian posted:

My comment about the 200mm was a little misleading. What I should have said is that I have never needed anything that long. I frequently use my 18-55 kit lens at 18mm to try and get some form of fisheye effect. I rented a 10mm fisheye and had a great time with it. The point being most of the stuff i'm taking pictures of is done at low speed and I can just about walk right up to the bikes.

Would I be better suited sticking with the crop sensor and getting better glass? Would I see a noticeable improvement in the auto focus department with the D6/800?

I'm sure you'd see quite an improvement, and if you enjoy shooting wide, those would be some pretty good cameras (assuming you have full-frame wide lenses or are willing to get some).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

MrStaticVoid posted:

Anyone know why Nikon hasn't started adding electromagnetic diaphragms to all of their new lenses? Seems like that would solve a lot of problems around live aperture changes, and they have the technology.

You shut your filthy mouth, mechanical apertures own.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

borkencode posted:

I've got a D600, which of course has the dust/oil issue that seems endemic to them. What do I do about this? Will Nikon fix it under warranty? I'm over 3000 shots, so according to the internet no new spots should develop, but I have no idea what to do.

Call and ask them? Worst that can happen is that they tell you to eat chain.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

BonoMan posted:

doh: double post

PEBKAC :v:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

True story, matrix metering is retarded and still heavily prioritizes the AF point you used to establish focus.

Yet another objectively wrong post brought to you by 'evil_bunnY'.

The matrix meter in my old-bullshit D200 does a pretty good job, and the matrix meter in most newer bodies is nothing short of spectacular in how often it ends up being 'correct'.

I can also see the logic behind y'know, the meter paying attention to the thing you've told the camera to pay attention to.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

tijag posted:

Matrix metering is horrible IMO. Everything on my D7k that I matrix meter turns out overexposed vs. spot metering.

I tried matrix metering on some velvia 100 with my N90s and got universally horrible results.

You might be doing it wrong, even if we can't get to "matrix metering is pretty loving awesome these days", it's a far cry from "horrible".

This said by a guy who shoots in matrix meter like 75% of the time.

Edit: Wait are you saying you leave the camera in spot metering mode for like day to day use?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

powderific posted:

The matrix metering on my D800 seems to overexpose somewhat regularly compared to the 5dII it replaced. It's also harder for me to predict when I'll need to dial in compensation than it was on the 5D, though part of that is probably due to me being a long time Canon user still getting used to Nikon's system.

I'd almost be happy about that, the D200 is so poo poo-scared of blowing a single pixel that I just leave it at +0.3 all the time.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Legdiian posted:

Could I get a quick opinion on wether or not to get the service plan on a d600 and 24-85 at Best buy? I think it's like $219.

No.

If you're relying on Best Buy for good customer service then... I don't even know.

Also your camera won't need 'servicing' unless it breaks (which is a warranty repair) other than maybe a sensor cleaning, which you can either do yourself or have someone else do for a drat sight less than $219.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Philemon posted:

Hey everyone.

My girlfriend owns a D5100 with the basic kit lens (18-55mm). I would like to get her a new lens. My price range is up to $400. I would also be interested in something that can still be used on higher up bodies for Nikon as I suspect she'll eventually graduate to one of those.

Most of her photography is long-distance stuff when she is hiking and such. She also likes to do photos of stuff very close (insects being her primary interest in these cases). I once saw an 18-300 lens but she mentioned a lens that went lower than 18mm and up to 300 existed but I have never found this. Would it be better to get two lenses?

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

If you want to do a macro (close up) lens that'd also be semi-decent for portraits, have a look at the Tamron 90mm f/2.8. It'd also cover at least a bit of 'long-distance' stuff (since while not hugely long, it's still a drat sight longer than an 18-55).

But yes do not get superzoom lenses (ie 18-200, 24-300, smallnumber-absurdnumber) because while some are less terrible than others they're all pretty halfassed optically (and generally pretty slow too).

...and to the best of my knowledge there does not exist a lens for Nikon mount that is both wider than 18mm and longer than 300mm.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 16, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

1st AD posted:

Eh I dunno I'd probably take an 28-300 if it was like $200. The problem is that their superzooms are all ridiculously expensive and for the same price you can get a good lens.

Or, more to the point, a couple good lenses, that will probably cover the same or better range that the superzoom did.

I'd also like to take a moment here to bring up a very shameful and instructive chapter in Nikon's history. I'm sure you all know of the Ken Rockwell Approved 18-200 f/3.5-cocks VR. I believe they are on version two of it right now, which included such upgrades as "is no longer a laughingstock", but K-Rock was also very happy with the first version, which Nikon was pushing the hell out of.

The first version of the 18-200 had barrel distortion so bad that, at the time, it was the first time that DPReview had ever run an optical test multiple times, just because they couldn't fathom that a respected lens manufacturer would even let that poo poo out the door being so shameful, much less try to sell it for like six hundred united states dollars.

evil_bunnY posted:

I'd get a 90mm macro lens too. The Tamron SM mentions is cheap and great.

This is based on "absolutely no research" but if these are more than $250 used I'd be surprised. Just do make sure it has an internal motor, because D5100 (those don't have the screw, do they?).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

I'd recommend the Tamron 70-300 VC over that nikon. Similar price point but all the reviews I've seen say that the Tamron preforms better. I love my 70-300 VC. http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300...amron+70-300+vc

I was nothing but unhappy with the Nikon 70-300 VR I had (soft as poo poo) despite the features all working as advertised (reasonably fast focus, VR worked, etc).

I was unhappy with it and I got it for literally $100.

Think on that.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

They don't, but I'm pretty sure even the older 90/2.8 has a motor.

Yeah to clarify there are two versions I think, a 90mm 2.8 and a 2.5 (maybe?), but basically anything that says "Tamron 90mm Macro" is what you want. Do check about the motor thing though, although I seem to recall the one I used in the store did have the motor.

Also goddamn it I'd just managed to forget about this lens that I want that I can't afford which I'm now telling you to get.

EDIT: I'd just like to point out that I started my post "To clarify...", then didn't clarify anything. That is all.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 16, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

The 60/2 is also p nice on DX.

It is, I'm just a little less likely to recommend it if the subject is insects, and also it's somewhat more expensive I think.

Also am I crazy, or is the Tamron 1:1, whereas the 60mm tops out at 1:2?

More fun Nikon history: The reason it's "Micro-Nikkor" is because when Nikon released their first 'macro' lens, it wasn't actually a macro lens by the exact definition (it could do 1:2, but needed extension tubes to get to 1:1), and since Nikon was heavily into the microscope/looking-at-small-poo poo business, they decided they'd rather not get called out, and since then every macro lens from them has been 'Micro'.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

a foolish pianist posted:

Mine is really sharp - maybe you got a particularly bad one? Or I got a particularly good one?

That could easily be the case, I've just heard various similar reports from other people about how it's "a very nice 70-280mm lens". And having sold the lens long ago, didn't care to look too much deeper into it :v:

evil_bunnY posted:

The Tamron 60/2 I'm talking about is 1:1.

Oh ok, that makes sense then. The 90 might still be better for really small bugs, I remember using a 35mm 1:1 macro lens on Olympus (before I used "good camera systems"), and half the time I'd hit the insect with the front element trying to focus.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Philemon posted:

The 90mm looks better, more suited to be good at the one thing it does ("macro") versus the 70-300 may be better for zooming and being overall versatile but perhaps suffering a bit more from jack-of-all-trades? Is this fair?

The 90mm is a macro lens, but it can do anything any other 90mm lens can do - portraits, medium-telephoto, it's still pretty versatile for a fixed focal length.

The 70-300's "macro" mode is absolute bullshit (in every case) and really just means "can focus kinda close, I guess".

EDIT: In terms of portraits I think both the 60 and 90 would be great, most of the portrait stuff I do is at 110-150mm, so 90 is by no means too long (you might have to step back a couple steps, as someone else said).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Dorkopotamis posted:

I just got a Nikon D600 and although I haven't had much of a chance to use it, I'm really liking it as the first DSLR I've owned. As is customary, here is a picture of my cat:

I'm wondering what is the easiest/fastest way to change ISO settings in manual mode. It seems like there's a button that should be dedicated to it, but it's more or less unresponsive. I'll be checking this out in the manual.

I think that one of the slide wheels that handle f-stop would be better suited to ISO, but who am I.

Seconding the 'read the manual' people but I gotta say man, your cat looks a lot like a dog. Like some kind of crazy cat schnauzer or something.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

Harsher chemicals might take the printed labeling of of the lens barrels but as long as you don't soak them anything that is safe to clean plastics with is fine. Don't be to excited about the 18-35mm it's kinda meh, I used to have a 24mm AFD and it was nice though.

If you can find it (which ain't that easy) Sigma of all people made a bitchin' screw-drive Nikon mount 24 2.8 (it's an older one), and shockingly, it's actually a loving awesome lens, at least on crop. For less than $100, when I bought it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

nielsm posted:

Yeah that Yongnuo flash only does manual settings, no TTL of any kind, not even "flash ready" signalling. You practically have to fire the camera in manual mode.

Your options:
A. Do as you do now, make a bunch of test shots until you get a decent exposure
B. Learn how to do guide number calculations (this only works for direct, unmodified flash)
C. Get a handheld flash meter (only really useful when flash, subject and modifiers are fixed relative to each other)

Possibly also investigate if the flash has non-TTL auto (but I doubt it).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FISHMANPET posted:

Between this and "Understanding Exposure" my catte photos are looking better than ever.
__________________/

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

nielsm posted:

Yeah unless something is really broken about the lens it shouldn't damage anything. It is AI after all. (The only possibility for damage I can think of would be if the aperture lever gets stuck and breaks the mechanism in the camera. Set the lens to f/22 or whatever minimum aperture it is and check how easily the aperture lever moves.)

And for the record, the S in AI-S refers to that it can work reliably in S and P exposure modes on the camera. AI-S lenses' aperture lever has a linear relationship to the actual aperture size, while old AI lenses' aperture lever has a less predictable relationship with the actual aperture size. This means that if the camera needs to control the aperture size electronically (such as in S and P mode) it might move the lever the wrong amount and thus mis-expose. On the other hand D600 might be able to stop-down meter just before exposing, i.e. just before firing automatically adjust the aperture until the measured light fits the desired shutter speed, then flip the mirror and trigger the shutter. (The result would be a slight additional shutter lag.)

Fun fact: that little divet in the flange? On older bodies a pin would slide into that to see if the lens was AI-S or just AI.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

BANME.sh posted:

haha

Photography! How does it work?!

edit: that was quick. I already found somebody willing to do a straight up trade. He is moving to FX and wants my lens. He lives within walking distance from me :stare:

Also get a kit lens, they're essentially free (or close enough to free), and they're pretty handy.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mightaswell posted:

Is it silly though? If you ever upgrade that lens, I'll bet you'll wish that you had bought the Nikon version.

Counterpoint: the Tamron ones are like fifty dollars and don't have weird deliberate lens incompatibility issues. Although the Nikon ones are probably a bunch better.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

echobucket posted:

Ha, I'm not sure where you are seeing $50 tamron TCs. The ones on Amazon are like $226. The Nikon one is $500.

I seem to remember I got my Tamron 1.4x for about $50, used. The older version with the screw-drive passthrough (which is nice if you're using non-AF-S lenses). I'd look around KEH and whatnot too.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Beastruction posted:

Manual focusing is pretty bad in the tiny viewfinder, guess-and-check exposure isn't really any worse than regular manual mode (especially on a one-dial body, since the lens has an aperture ring).

It is, of course, easier on a full-frame groundglass with a split prism or something, but in any but the shittiest lighting conditions, manual focus on a crop body isn't really that hard once you put in a bit of practice.

...I say this as someone who uses a D200, maybe the lower end bodies have worse viewfinders?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

BANME.sh posted:

Lenses are hard. :sigh:

I will probably just stick to the AF-S DX variety, but I was hoping I might be able to grab an older macro lens for under $100.

The older 55mm Micro AI-S is quite well regarded to this day, although if you want to get all :spergin: it's not actually a macro lens, since it can only do 1:2 without the PK-13 extension tube.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Beastruction posted:

Yeah, the entry level bodies have significantly smaller viewfinders, and they only have an on/off focus confirmation dot rather than the arrows + dot.

Even the D200-range bodies don't have the arrows, when I saw that on my wife's D1H I was like :aaa:.

The D1H, with its glorious 3.74 megapixels, beats the D200 in quite a few aspects actually.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Tusen Takk posted:

Thanks! My brother-in-law works for a residential/commercial garbage removal service and he found a bunch of video cameras (Sony DXC-327's with Canon PH12x7.5B's), camera cases, Manfrotto tripods, a Rosco Alpha 900 fog machine, all kinds of other TV studio-esque goodies. eBay says they're all worth craploads of money, and I know that the video camera body and lenses are worth lots, but I'm not sure what the actual demand is on them.

These things get shitted up to high heaven with fog fluid residue, get ready for a god drat lot of cleaning work (and pray to god the heating element still works).

Lucky page 13 snype.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Tusen Takk posted:

It actually works fabulously! He used it to fill his parent's house up with fog before a Lions game came on (~3200 ft2, so I think it works fine :downs:. Good info on that though, the cheapest one I could find used online was like $300. Is that seriously how much it's worth?

Theatre gear costs outlandish amounts of money.

Like I'm averaging $35 per bulb in most of my lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Tusen Takk posted:

:aaa:

Holy crap then we're rich. He found all sorts of that kind of thing, microphones, everything.

PM me if you need help working out what's worth a poo poo and what's not.