Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Nikon FE if you want a manual focus film camera. Typically sells for under $100 in either black or chrome. Has aperture priority mode if you want it. Limited to 1/1000 for the fastest shutter speed unlike it's bigger brother, the F3, which maxes out at 1/2000, but not that big of a deal.

e: Pair it with a 50mm Series E lens and you've got yourself a super cheap setup if you just want to dabble in 35mm film.

mes fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

I have a D60, and it works well but I'm feeling held back by the fact that it's only 10MP and the CCD has a lot of noise at 1600/3200 ISO. My understanding is that some of the newer Nikons have better sensors at low light levels.

What would be a good upgrade path for $500-$750? I'm assuming a new camera would be able to use my existing Nikkor lenses and SB600 speedlight, but I'm not sure about the batteries.

The D7000 would probably be the best choice for you, taking a quick look on KEH, they seem to be going for around $650-$750 (there's also a sale going on right now with free shipping FYI). The D60 is the predecessor to the D5100, so not only would you get better sensor performance, the camera should be more fully featured (like AF screw for D lenses).

mes
Apr 28, 2006

It depends on the camera, the D7000 allows you to shoot aperture priority with MF lenses as long as your tell it the minimum aperture of the lens.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Legdiian posted:

Any suggestions? What would I expect to pay for coverage that would cover accidental damage? Like dropping it on the pavement.

Squaretrade comes to mind, never did much research into it though.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

AzCoug posted:

I have a D7000 and realize I have the fancy 39 focus points but haven't really taken advantage of them. Mostly because I don't know when/how to use them properly.

Any focus points tips or advice?

If you like to use single point focus, first frame the photo then select the best focus point for the subject that you want to focus on. I'm not sure what the specifics are on the D7000, but certain points will be cross type, which would do a better job focusing on moving subjects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

red19fire posted:

My venerable 35mm f2D finally developed the sticky aperture of death, and Nikon doesn't service these anymore. Can anyone recommend an independent shop that does repair this lens, or a decent replacement? I'm not opposed to going wider.

KEH has flat rate repairs for $130 if you really want to get it repaired.