Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Persona 5 world has the main characters traveling through a cat's rectum. That's why everything is so red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KoB
May 1, 2009
The menus in that trailer are slick as gently caress.

e:

KoB fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 5, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Looks rad. And I'll have to buy a new PS3 or 4 just for this drat game.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Most exciting to me is that you are fighting SMT Demons, not Shadows--in that trailer, you can see the group is fighting the Sandman demon. And I didn't see anything explicitly Social Link related either...maybe they're taking the series in another new direction?
I kind of dig the costumes though, everybody looks like a 1940's sort of superhero--Green Hornet kind of guys, wearing domino masks and poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

New Persona 5 info in the latest issue of Famitsu. Original source: http://kumagawa.tumblr.com/post/110530947799/new-persona-5-details-from-famitsu

quote:

The protagonist is a second-year high school student, who transfers to the city during the spring (around the time of the start of a new school year in Japan.) He’ll move into a coffee shop owned by acquaintances of his parents.

The game starts out in Shibuya, but the stage is set in various parts of Tokyo.

This is a vague hint, but for what it’s worth, the protagonist is in a situation where, if he doesn’t fight, something bad will happen to him in the future. The part of the recent trailer that showed him imprisoned was a symbol for a “prison of mind”.

The dungeon that was shown in the trailer was not automatically-generated, and the story will have various main places that are suitable for a challenge to a phantom thief with all kinds of stages and gimmicks. However, this doesn’t mean there won’t be any auto-generated elements in game.

There will be some sort of Social Link-like feature in Persona 5.

The protagonist’s first exclusively usable Persona is named “Arsène”. This is likely derived from the famous phantom thief, Arsène Lupin.

In previous titles, the Persona summoning scene had the Japanese onomatopoeia of “カッ” (kka) which is something often used to depict a flash or clicking sound. In Persona 5, it’s “ブチッ” (buchi) which is a snapping sound (either physically or mentally).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just started playing P4G over the weekend, and I'm loving it so far. I played the original Persona when it first came out but haven't touched any SMT games since then.

A few questions:

- Persona fusion is a bit confusing. How do I decide what to fuse? I've seen charts that tell how to determine what you get, but do I just fuse whatever will give me the highest level result, or are there specific skills I should go for? Do party member Persona upgrades only come from Social Links?

- How many tries does a dungeon generally take early in the game? I just reached and defeated the knight miniboss in Yukiko's Castle in one night, then quickly ran out of HP and SP and didn't want to use up all my items. If I leave and go back in another day, do I start at the same place I left, or do I have to slog through the whole thing again?

- Does Marie ever become a party member?

Thanks!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

I just started playing P4G over the weekend, and I'm loving it so far. I played the original Persona when it first came out but haven't touched any SMT games since then.

A few questions:

- Persona fusion is a bit confusing. How do I decide what to fuse? I've seen charts that tell how to determine what you get, but do I just fuse whatever will give me the highest level result, or are there specific skills I should go for? Do party member Persona upgrades only come from Social Links?

- How many tries does a dungeon generally take early in the game? I just reached and defeated the knight miniboss in Yukiko's Castle in one night, then quickly ran out of HP and SP and didn't want to use up all my items. If I leave and go back in another day, do I start at the same place I left, or do I have to slog through the whole thing again?

- Does Marie ever become a party member?

Thanks!

Always be fusin'. You'll probably want some good elemental coverage, resists, and buffs/debuffs, but your other party members can fill in if you're unable to achieve that. Always be fusin'. Ignore charts. And yes, both you and your party members will become stronger if you Social Link them, so you'll wanna focus on getting them up to 10.

Of course, the less days it takes you the better, but if you really feel the need to step out then do so. You'll get a Social Link that will enable you to heal up during dungeons, but it costs a looot of Macca unless you rank it up.

She does not. You still definitely want to get her SL up to 10 for other bonuses.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Generally speaking you can try to fuse whatever the highest leveled personas you can at a given point of time, but you'll presumably want to also take into account what abilities your party has currently when doing so. For example in the first dungeon you're not going to have someone with fire attacks besides the MC, so fusing personas with Agi would presumably be most beneficial. Later on as your party members come into their own with their own abilities and you start to figure out what roles you prefer them to stay in you'll have an even better idea of what gaps you want your MC to fill.

The first two dungeons will likely take at least two attempts, though it is possible to complete both in one pass. It's not so hard in the second dungeon because at that point you have access to the fox to restore SP, but the first dungeon requires a little finesse. You could for example abuse the SOS feature (if anyone is even online doing it anymore) to restore SP while running around the lowest level floors where the enemies are easy. You could also grind SP restoring items on those very same floors, though as you might imagine that takes some time. As for leaving and coming back another day, what you want to use is the item Goho-m when you leave a floor (rather than running all the way back to the beginning). If you use said item you will be given the option to warp directly to the floor you used it on.

Marie does not become a party member.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Thanks for the answers.

One other thing -- should I bother going into the TV world in between kidnappings (if it's even possible), or should I just stay out and build stats and social links? The game doesn't seem to give a whole lot of direction on what exactly to do when you're not rescuing someone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm playing this for the first time now and quickly remembering how crazy I get over maxing Social Links. Like, I know if I don't follow a guide I'm not going to max every Social Link without NG+ stats. I know this. And yet I still worry about it (and still refuse to follow a guide). I'm sure once I'm about halfway through and it becomes clear that I won't max them all I'll lighten up. I did when I played both P3 and P4 vanilla versions.

I'm trying to tell myself to just focus on party member Social Links, the Dojimas, and the two new Social Links for Golden and let everything else work itself out. (Maybe Hermit, too. Cheap SP restoration is nice.)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

WhiteHowler posted:

Thanks for the answers.

One other thing -- should I bother going into the TV world in between kidnappings (if it's even possible), or should I just stay out and build stats and social links? The game doesn't seem to give a whole lot of direction on what exactly to do when you're not rescuing someone.

Rare monsters can spawn on rainy days, and new optional bosses will appear where the dungeon bosses were. You can combine those runs in with rescue trips, but really if you feel like levelling or need some cash grinding, you can go right ahead and enter the TV between rescues. I don't see the point in overly optimizing your time management on your first time through.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It is always possible to go hit TV Land in the afternoons, but it's best to use as few days as possible. On Normal or below, if you're taking your time to clear every floor and fight every Shadow you see on your way to a rescue, you shouldn't need to do any extra grinding.

Harrow posted:

I'm playing this for the first time now and quickly remembering how crazy I get over maxing Social Links. Like, I know if I don't follow a guide I'm not going to max every Social Link without NG+ stats. I know this. And yet I still worry about it (and still refuse to follow a guide). I'm sure once I'm about halfway through and it becomes clear that I won't max them all I'll lighten up. I did when I played both P3 and P4 vanilla versions.

I'm trying to tell myself to just focus on party member Social Links, the Dojimas, and the two new Social Links for Golden and let everything else work itself out. (Maybe Hermit, too. Cheap SP restoration is nice.)

Focus on reading all of the books instead! If I remember right, you should have enough time to do that and max all the important links.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really Pants posted:

It is always possible to go hit TV Land in the afternoons, but it's best to use as few days as possible. On Normal or below, if you're taking your time to clear every floor and fight every Shadow you see on your way to a rescue, you shouldn't need to do any extra grinding.

Focus on reading all of the books instead! If I remember right, you should have enough time to do that and max all the important links.

Yep, I'm definitely reading all the books. Then I can carry over all those delicious stats to NG+.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is it still possible to accidentally get Victory Cry by complete accident in the middle of the 2nd dungeon because of back-to-back skill swaps? That happened to me in my first playthrough of the PS2 version and it was hilarious, especially when I looked it up and found out you could only normally get it at level 97 or something on Satan. Completely breaks the game in half.

I picked up a Vita and P4G last week and have been really enjoying it. So many improvements that make the game better.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't think so. Instead, hitting level 91 on a NG+ gives you a way to add Victory Cry to any Persona you want.

For 500,000 yen a pop.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Shortest Path posted:

Is it still possible to accidentally get Victory Cry by complete accident in the middle of the 2nd dungeon because of back-to-back skill swaps? That happened to me in my first playthrough of the PS2 version and it was hilarious, especially when I looked it up and found out you could only normally get it at level 97 or something on Satan. Completely breaks the game in half.

I picked up a Vita and P4G last week and have been really enjoying it. So many improvements that make the game better.

I believe you can still use Kaiwan on fusion days to get Victory Cry, which breaks dungeons in half around Void Quest.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

WhiteHowler posted:

Thanks for the answers.

Since you can stay in dungeons indefinitely once you get the fox S. Link I don't think there's much of a point to going into the dungeons in between rescues with the exception of occasionally on rainy days.

What you do on the rest of the days is indeed up to you. Some S. Links will probably jump at you as being more important than others; for example you'll discover that boosting party member S. Links gives them more abilities in battle, or that some like Sun/Temperance/Strength boost your social stats.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also bear in mind that if you did bite the bullet and follow a guide, you'd either have to modify the guide's recommendations or find yourself being a complete rear end on February 14. For some reason, there don't seem to be any non-harem max-social link guides that I can find.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

To be fair, it's not like it's hard to tell when the game is asking you if you want to date or stay as friends.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That's easy, though. Your anime girlfriend status doesn't affect link advancement or gameplay at all.

Just follow your heart~

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The game literally says "You have started a relationship with X", there is no way you can accidentally fall into it unless you are really weird about not wanting to reload saves.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vil posted:

Also bear in mind that if you did bite the bullet and follow a guide, you'd either have to modify the guide's recommendations or find yourself being a complete rear end on February 14. For some reason, there don't seem to be any non-harem max-social link guides that I can find.

I think there really isn't much difference if you don't end up lovers in terms of ranking up points. At worst you might have to set aside an extra night to pray at the shrine.

It's weird that even though Temperance is my least favourite of the game's S-Links, I find myself dreading Sun more since the game gives you a choice between two characters, both of whom I'm not overly fond of.

I'm hoping P5 will use some of the lesser used Arcana for plot important characters, like Temperance or Hanged Man. Plus we haven't had a permanently playable Hierophant yet since P1's Kei if you don't count Metis, despite P3 and P4 both having important characters with that Arcana.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol remember the one guy who was flabbergasted that he'd agreed to date Yukiko?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Remember the multiple people who were flabbergasted they agreed to date Rise?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Cake Attack posted:

Didn't he somehow stumble into a relationship with all of the female party members despite deliberately trying not to?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It'd just be nice if the guides had something to the tune of "if on friend-route answer X, else if on lover-route answer Y" vs. what they actually have, which is "answer Y because guide author arbitrarily decided you must be lovers". Not just for the actual decision itself but for the follow-up events which tend to be a little different and call for different answers to get good points.

It's true that it's not that big a deal though - simply give the appropriate answer to the friend/lover decision and do your own legwork for best answers to the later events. I'm just mildly irked at the unnecessary inconvenience, in a style of guide that's otherwise all about having all the important information right there conveniently in one place.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Didn't he somehow stumble into a relationship with all of the female party members despite deliberately trying not to?
If it's the same person I'm thinking of they did it again with Ken (:barf:) in P3P.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

If it's the same person I'm thinking of they did it again with Ken (:barf:) in P3P.

lol

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Butt Ghost posted:

Remember the multiple people who were flabbergasted they agreed to date Rise?

That's at least somewhat understandable since between giving her a hug or just standing there, most people would think giving her a hug was just a friendly gesture. I mean, aside from the game telling you 'THIS IS AN IMPORTANT MOMENT' right before.

Every other girl is a bit more baffling.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

How do you accidentally romance Ken

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nah it wasn't by accident, he literally messed up romancing akihiko and decided he had to romance someone!

if you're reading this, you are a silly man

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
That guy became the best poster in the thread because of all of that and I'm glad we got to read his gently caress-ups in this stupid anime game.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Cake Attack posted:

How do you accidentally date Yukiko???? The option is loving literally between "Because we're friends" and "Because I like you" (and one other dumb one I think).

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I hope he was at least intending to date Chie because you literally ask to be her boyfriend. You have to be not paying attention or drop your controller and hit X accidentally or something

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Color Printer posted:

How do you accidentally date Yukiko???? The option is loving literally between "Because we're friends" and "Because I like you" (and one other dumb one I think).

Your options are, "I think of you as a classmate," "I think of you as a good friend," and "I really like you, too."

Somehow, it failed to register to him that, "I really like you, too," was the romantic option.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/02...attle-and-more/

New scans and information. One interesting thing I'd been wanting to know - the gameplay footage in the trailer was from the PS3 version.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Are you guys telling me you were never shocked that you agreed to go out with a girl without realizing it?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

No because we're not retarded. Arguably.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I am a very smart person, and that is why I was able to coldly and calculatedly reject everyone who was not named Ai Ebihara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

alcharagia posted:

I am a very smart person, and that is why I was able to coldly and calculatedly reject everyone who was not named Ai Ebihara.

The correct thing was to romance everyone, then on the holidays calously explain to them you are not going out with them because they are not Ai Ebihara

• Locked thread