Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I really think the thing with the Chie voice argument is that everyone prefers the first actress they heard. So people who played golden first prefer new Chie, and vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

redreader posted:

The person I hated the most was the main character. Marie clearly didn't like it when he reads her poems. After the first time he should have employed the 'don't be a loving creep' policy and just given her the poems back without reading them. Every time he picked a poem up and read it, I got a super creep feeling. "why am I being creepy? :("

Yu . o O ( MUST CONSUME NEW CONTENT. MUST CONSUME IT ALL! )

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I happily ditched Yosuke after his shenanigans during the camping trip and went with Chie, Kanji and Yukiko for the rest of the game. You don't have to use everyone, and you kinda can't, really...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

At my first playthrough in that sequence near the end (Uberjumper don't read) I didn't push him. That part really annoyed me because I ended with the neutral route where I talked them out of it but didn't establish his innocence. I probably should blame the writers but instead I blame Yosuke. :)

I think the thing in common with Yosuke, Naoto and Kanji is that their judgement is flawed. Yosuke wants to be the hero of the story, as established. Was he especially close to Nanako? Not really. Does he have poor impulse control? Heck yes!

Kanji and Naoto similarly have issues clouding their judgement. Kanji has his masculinity issue, and generally thinks violence is the answer. Naoto's issue is that she is insecure about not being taken seriously due to her gender and age. Both of them want to take decisive action because of this.

Still, Yosuke sucks because he takes it further. Throughout the whole conversation he is trying to rush the MC into doing things his way without thinking about it. 'Are you just stalling???'

Really that scene to me is less about Yosuke sucking, and more about Chie being awesome. I think you are pretty wrong if you consider Chie a ditz - though that is how she thinks of herself. She's a character with a great intuition who just isn't good at putting it into words. And her social link underlines her strong sense of justice. Chie being against it is a hint that something is off about the situation. (I also happened to catch the issue with the letter before, I was thinking - if the letter is a threat to get the IT to desist, then why was it carried out immediately without giving the team a chance to respond?)

And anyway, even if Nametame is really the killer, the IT can just rescue whoever he next throws in - or catch him in the act. Or go public on the tv thing. Yosuke's 'this is our one chance' is rubbish.

One thing that hasn't come up... The open window in that room - does that imply Nametame was in the process of attempting suicide? I mean in hindsight, Adachi was basically doing everything he could to do away with Nametame, wasn't he+

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 17, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Except they DID rescue Nanako, and she wound up dying anyway.

I suppose they have a problem if he goes after a child again then. But still, even if Nametame goes free, people will be watching him now, and so it would be much harder for him to act.

Vigilantism would still be an option in the future.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Except

Namatame is an adult and the IT aren't. He could go to a new town and do this poo poo anew where they could do nothing to stop him.

Isn't it implied that the tv ability only works in Inaba?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well, like I said, that scene is less about Yosuke sucking and more about Chie being awesome. And I don't even need to spoiler tag that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Teddie gets better, I think. He's totally a child, but at least he has an excuse. I don't think he is so much obsessed with sex as that he has no idea what it even is, but thinks he should desire it for some unclear reason. Probably hanging around Yosuke doesn't help.

Rise... seems divisive. Some people really like her, and she is notably a confident and outgoing character. Personally, I kinda disliked her - a lot of her interactions felt manipulative on her part, she's not a very empathic character overall.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 18, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

As I recall he gets -dyne skills for both Agi and Bufu, so Ice and Fire Amp would be huge.

No, he only gets Agidyne. He does get Fire Amp eventually, so don't worry about that too much. Fire Boost could be worth it if you are trying to build a fire focused caster, since that stacks with the Amp.

Personally, I'd try and get a Mabufu/Mazio/Magaru on him, or Invigorate, or Growth... The key point being that a single element -dyne is sufficient for bosses. Black Frost has lovely enough resistances that you want to keep him around for general use to gain EXP. For clearing out mobs it's more useful to have cheap multi-target spells, or passive buffs.

I would want to level up Black Frost enough to get Agidyne before the next boss, if you are on the one I think you are on.

Getting a black frost with Auto-Sukukaja would help with Margret's requests.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 18, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Dating Chie is clearly the correct choice. Clearly.

Yosuke/Chie doesn't make sense and makes me annoyed.

UberJumper posted:

I made a black frost with:

Maragion
Mabufu
Bufulua
Mazionga

Fire Amp
Ice Amp
Invigorate 1
Mind Charge

I tried everything and i couldn't get Mabufula on any of my guys. So i settled for Mabufu, and hopefully i get a skill upgrade card. I also could not for the life of me get wind on him. Is my black frost acceptable?

Black Frost is really good whatever you do.

Though I think you sorta missed the point a bit -

1. You basically want one single-target spell at as high a level as possible, with Amp *and* Boost for that element if possible (Amp and Boost stacks). This is your boss killer. Bosses generally don't have resistances or weaknesses, so it doesn't usually pay to have multiple element versions of that spell, especially on the same persona.
2. You also want multi-target spells in multiple elements to exploit weaknesses of ordinary enemies. Ordinary enemies don't have a ton of HP, and besides you really want to just knock them down. So high level versions of that spell isn't actually needed - if anything, the low level versions are quite useful for conserving SP.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

It was a joke, I didn't think about it that hard. If I had to guess I'd say Rise would be stuck with Teddie though and Yukiko would be the real default love interest. Though maybe it could just have it work so Teddie ends with the one you don't/have a lower s-link for.

I thought that was cool so I looked it up on google images and nope, they're different. That's kinda a shame.

Pairing thoughts (some SL spoilers)

Rise's going to be leaving Inaba after her SL, so it makes sense for her to be unpaired.
Yukiko is clearly not interested in that sort of thing.
Naoto/Kanji is probably the most strongly hinted relationship in the game. (Though I like the idea of Kanji/Yosuke because it is hilarious)
Chie/Kou? Akihiko?
Yosuke/Labrys
Teddie/Nanako (Many years in the future, okay)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Orgia Carnaval posted:

They barely interact after she joins the team. I mean if you like that pairing, sure go right ahead, but please don't perpetuate it as if there's any actual evidence for it because there isn't.

Well, the beauty pageant...

I agree it's mainly onesided because Naoto doesn't seem to understand relationships, full stop.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Just keep Maragidyne, it's better in the long run and way more cost effective. It is 100% a straight upgrade.

Disagree pretty strongly. Only point for the -dynes is boss battles, and for the boss battles, the ma-dynes do less damage against the single targets, and consume more SP.

UberJumper posted:

My biggest problem right now is Wind, i have Electric, Light, Dark, Fire, and Ice covered by two personas. But out of all my personas i don't have any that do wind damage. :smith:

I seem to recall Sun personas as being a pretty good source of wind magic,

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

As for the -dynes, dude no. It is way more cost efficient to use a single ma- spell rather than hitting individuals and outside of bosses in the mid game you should really just stick with them as soon as you get them because they're never not good.

Ma-dyne is up against the more basic versions of the ma- spells, not against -dyne. The point is that there's two roles for spells:

1. Hitting weaknesses - in which case basic ma- spells like maragi, mabufu are good and SP efficient. High ma- like maragidyne are worse for improving endurance in dungeons for the majority of the game because they bring a higher SP cost for no benefit - since most of the time you'll kill the knocked down enemies with an All Out Attack anyway.
2. Doing damage to bosses - in which case single target -dynes (a) IIRC do more damage, and (b) cost less SP.

Basically ma-dynes fall between two stools. If you've already got agidyne and a lower rank maragi type, turning agidyne into maragidyne generally speaking sucks.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 19, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

The period in which the mid tier ma- spells are preferable to ma-dyne spells is like half of Rise's dungeon. If you have SP problems post Hermit link I don't know what to tell you, but I can say this: don't bring mid and first tier spells past the point you have easy access to -dyne stuff. That's just being crazy.

I assume Uberjumper has not completed the Hermit link, nor does he have easy access to -dyne. That's why he's complaining about Maragidyne being unaffordable, SP wise, and a downgrade on agidyne! His situation is plainly not what your situation is.

Hermit link is also a pain in the butt to complete without a FAQ.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

We have a misunderstanding, my bad for not being clear. I didn't mean post finishing Hermit, I meant post access to Hermit.

Using Maragidyne instead of Maragi costs you 12 extra SP per cast. Which equates to, at rank 1 Hermit, 720 yen to recover the SP per casting. You are making the game ridiculously more grindy for a minor, minor increase in convenience of killing mobs outright instead of knocking them down -> All-Out-Attack.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

You don't have to go straight into a dungeon as soon as you have Hermit rank one. :ssh: You're also forgetting the Cup and SP healing items, which become completely worthless by November.

You don't have to, but you can. And if people don't play the game your min-maxy way, and *do* run into SP issues, then maragidyne is not a straight improvement.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Uberjumper, in future, don't accept the first text you get, wait for the one you want.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You should date Chie, it's really heartwarming. :p

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Assuming party members get a share of the money from enemies, everyone is pretty much loaded with cash anyway.

The Investigation Team is the 1%.

Edit: Though maybe it's more hilarious if the MC has been keeping all the party's money to himself and blowing it on trashy novels and jumbo sized beef bowls.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 20, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

UberJumper posted:

They are both middle of the road but i need higher skills to max them.

In the club, and everyone is trashed. :getin:

Kanji and Teddie :staredog:

I am king, and all Rise did was stick her head on my lap. :unsmith: I was expecting something far creepier to occur.

WAIT WAIT you haven't maxxed Hierophant and Justice?

DROP EVERYTHING. Seriously, do sun or read books until you get your expression up, then max those social links. Or You Will Regret This!!!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Orgia Carnaval posted:

There are no gameplay consequences for not maxing Nanako and Ryotaro.

You'd just be an utter failure as a player, that's all.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Seriously, do social links because you enjoy the characters. The game isn't that hard. On that topic, don't neglect the Aeon link.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

UberJumper posted:

Nope i ussally saved people on the first day it was possible. Maybe i just have bad luck, i never really was able to get everyone's schedules down pat.

I feel really dumb right now, and i need help:

So i can't really think of anyone who fits the profile. The game has warned me that i only have one more try. I stupidly didn't save last night, so that would dump me back around to before Nanako's death and rebirth. :smith:

I first tried Chie, just hoping to see a funny reaction, and then tried Dojima (since he fit the profile, and it would be a creepy twist). I want to try Adachi, but the dude was in the police station when Nanako was taken.

Did i miss something? There are a few names i don't recognize. Like Hisano Kuroda, Mitsuo Kubo, Noriko Kasuwaghi.

Think again carefully. The culprit you are looking for now is the one that will help fill in the missing pieces of the puzzle. Which pieces of the puzzle are actually missing? What does the culprit need to be responsible for?

Serious hint:
Nametame *did* abduct Nanako, you've caught him red handed in that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

UberJumper posted:

Thanks, i honestly am pretty bad for the names.

So people said i shouldn't rush into the final dungeon, since it basically skips a bunch of days. What day should i enter and complete it by?

I honestly feel dumb i didn't realize it was adachi sooner, every time i started thinking it was him. The game threw a curveball at you.

You guys even mislead me into believing he was just a bumbling detective. :unsmith:.

I think that 22 is the last day you can take him out if you don't want to miss out on an event with one of the girls you call your girlfriend. You jerk.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Uberjumper have you ever interacted with teenage boys before because Yosuke is nothing out of the ordinary.

Maybe, but we aren't really judging Yosuke relative to the population of real people, we're judging him relative to the other male characters in the game, and relative to the likes of Kanji, MC, and even Daisuke and Kou, Yosuke does tend to stand out in a negative way. Which made him annoying enough to ditch from my party.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Haha oh wow I didn't even bother reading this part last time. Yeah uh...dude you should probably go watch those scenes again your bias is showing :psyduck:

Yosuke is the manager's son. He doesn't actually work there, he just gets dragged into everything by association, because family is kind of a big deal. He doesn't "favor" the two snooty girls, he desperately tries to mitigate their bullshit so they do SOME work because neither he nor his father have a whole lot of options in podunk Inaba. I have no idea how you could have read favoring them out of that scene given that Yosuke's tone and expression 100% of the way through is total frustration/exasperation with those two. Ya know, basically functioning as a junior manager and a pretty good one given that it's not his business. As for Saki, the only thing he ever gave her was attention to our knowledge.

Err, I think it's more that he constantly covers for them by doing their work, given that he seems to be in some sort of supervisor position. Which is kinda bullshit, because those girls don't do the work and don't need the money and basically should be sacked immediately. So why doesn't he at least report their bullshit, or refuse to cover them? Is it because they are gurrrrls???

I don't think Uberjumper is off base for saying that Yosuke has questionable judgement here.

Edit: my read of Junes staffing problems is that they are all a result of Yosuke's fuckups, which means that they continue to employ workers who don't do any work. Yosuke does pay you, but these jobs are not presented as straightforward jobs, and lord knows how his pay compares to the market rate.

It seemed to me that he is basically exploiting his friendships for his personal benefit, which none of the other characters do. The contextual difference between the social link things where you volunteer to help, and Yosuke coming begging is significant.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 23, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Counterpoint: Yosuke is loving seventeen years old.

Also it seemed pretty obvious that Yosuke desperately wants to be liked in general since the whole town hates him and his dad for bringing big business to little Inaba. Combined with the fact that he's kind of a pushover lead to him covering for them. Not because ~they're girls~

He doesn't seem to treat Kanji or Teddie with that sort of generosity...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dude, he's housing Teddie.

His family is housing Teddie. He volunteers the generosity of *someone else*, and Teddie has to work, easing his workload. The arrangement therefore works out to his benefit, the price of feeding Teddie is paid for by others. The contrast is to the snooty girls, where Yosuke is working harder, personally, on their behalf, for two random girls he knows little about. But okay, I've said enough about this.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 23, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

UberJumper posted:

If i make lunch, and have lunch with Yosuke, nobody seems to ask me to spend time with them.

If i don't make lunch, Chie and Yosuke ask me to spend time with them.

:iiam:

What persona is Chie currently using?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

This thread would be a lot more boring if we didn't criticise certain fictional characters.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I would suggest also not using a guide to help you min-max social links. It sucks the fun out of the game, it really does.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You realise that Rise will be back as an idol for the events of Dancing All Night, and Yu would join it and being an idol would be portrayed as awesome fun and Inoue the best manager ever, right? And it'll be canon.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The real problem is that I don't see how single persona playthroughs would be interesting. You are basically avoiding most of the mechanics in the game.

A more fun challenge would be to go the opposite approach - always switch out your personas for a different one each time they level up.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 27, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Persona is not a hard game, you should really prioritise talking to the people you want to talk to, rather than gameplay benefit.

Some thoughts on social links:
1. Don't follow a social linking guide, those are tedious as hell.
2. You should definitely do the ones with Dojima and Nanako, be warned you have a limited time window and you need to max out expression for the final levels in them.
3. Party member social links are definitely worth it. Be warned, the penultimate one for each female PC lets you enter into a romance. Don't choose more than one girl, you will regret this. Also Chie is the Correct Choice.
4. Moon is a good story though it might seem bad initially. Sun is kinda ehn but useful for boosting expression. Strength is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's not worth it, there isn't even a funny scene.

• Locked thread