Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Just found the little flaw in taking the save points away right before the bosses: I went through all of Void Quest, got to the boss and realized I'd forgotten to restore SP. Not wanting to waste a turn, I did what I'd become used to doing: I quit out of the game. Which, of course, had no idea that I'd gotten all the way to the tenth floor. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

neongrey posted:

It's kind of disappointing, really. This is the series that gave us Tatsuya and Jun. Why isn't there a single romanceable dude?

To be fair, "Tatsuya and Jun" amounted basically to one dialogue branch and a fusion attack. A whole S-Link or even a couple of special events would be a bit more of a commitment.

They'll probably get around to it at some point; Japan just has a little further to go in terms of social attitudes.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Endorph posted:

Hit Sell All Materials anytime you can. You don't need to stack them to get better items or anything. Sometimes you'll sell like two of the same material and not get any items out of it but that's because he needs like five of the same material - it keeps track of those two so you only need to sell him three more.

Not ANYTIME. There are a few materials that are necessary to finish quests, a stupid hurdle I would have thought they'd have cut for Golden.

Make sure all of your quests are cleared before you sell, or else go through the materials item by item for the quest-related ones.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I Just got the new bad ending, and I'm already regretting it. These credits are so long, goddamn.

But Corridor is one of the best tunes in the game. And this way you don't have to hear it interrupted by Time to Make History every few notes.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I think the big reason I'm enjoying P4G so much is that I never feel like the game is taking my time hostage. Being able to put the game down at any time, not when you get to a save point or after a long cutscene or whatever, is so nice and it makes playing things like FF13 just totally agonizing.

My roommate appreciates that he can ask me to go out to the bar and not have to wait fifteen minutes.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Rascyc posted:

What am I missing here? This doesn't happen to me. I get a shuffle maybe one every three fights, even when using all out attacks like the tutorial suggested. Most of these shuffles I use to either get a persona for more fusing, a chest key, or a free level up rarely - if none of these are available, I just get a crappy stat point Id on't care about. I usually get one shuffle sweep an entire dungeon and can keep that going 2-3 battles but I've honestly never got as much out of it as advertised in the above post.

I don't see the sweep bonus as particularly worthwhile given that you will quickly need to start taking negative cards to keep the streak alive, but shuffles are pretty useful overall. You need chest keys at the very least, and that's far and away the best source. And it's great to be able to rush through a cleared dungeon and come out with more SP than you started with.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Italax posted:

It worth the trade of to get a decent amount of variation in lines though, which is something I really appreciate. Like, for Yosuke if you leave his social link until after you finish Void Quest, then his dialogue will change to reflect the fact that He thinks the case is over after you catch Mitsuo.

There's also an entire scene in the Fortune link that depends on whether it comes before or after the events of early December.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

lotus circle posted:

Spoiler for the true culprit:

Not gonna quote the whole drat thing.

This was amazing, but you're incorrect in one respect: the Hunger arcana isn't designated with the number zero; it's designated with the number eleven, like Strength.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Nessa posted:

Yeah, it would have been impossible to backport to the PS2. Golden had all the 3D graphics redone specifically for the Vita. It just wouldn't work on the PS2.

More to the point...it's apparently too late to bring over the Eternal Punishment PSP port. But it's indecent not to port Golden to a system that's actually been discontinued?

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

I got a Persona 3 question for you fellas.

I finished FemMC playthrough of P3P, and now I'm considering running through the game again as MaleMC, but I think the visual novel style bothered me more than I originally thought it would. Is there enough added to the MaleMC playthrough to warrant doing that over going back to FES?

Thanks!

If you have access to FES, by all means play that instead of the PSP male route. Fantastic presentation in comparison, and the gameplay isn't all that much worse.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Snix posted:

You can also date Ken, but you might as well restart the game at that point.

I started with P3P, and I prefer it over FES, though FES has the animated cut-scenes and The Answer campaign. However, I found The Answer to be a pain in the rear end.

Persona 3: The Answer = Persona 3 without the fun parts.

FES is still by far my favorite way to experience the game though. The female route is awesome, and I like party control, but it's not worth the lack of animated cutscenes.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I have only vague memories of the last time a new generation appeared, since I only gave in and went Xbox a couple years ago. It makes me a little uneasy to have to depend on continued strong last-gen sales for a localization. (Although Persona 5: The Cash Grab will no doubt soon be announced for some other system, so I'm not that concerned.)

Also: goddammit, the best-case scenario now involves me buying two systems I hadn't planned on.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Hellioning posted:

Persona 4 was released July 2008 for the Ps2. The PS3 was launched November 2006. If that can get translated, so can P5.

It was indeed released on that timetable, but it fell far short of sales expectations in the US. Though presumably the series is more entrenched today and a much better bet (it actually made the Vita sell, sort of).

I'm still betting on it being released stateside, but I'm not as sanguine about it as I would be if it were on multiple platforms.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I said come in! posted:

That's basically what Persona 3 FES did with The Answer.

Because that worked out so well?

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

The Answer was Persona 3 without the fun parts. It's maybe the only Persona-related game I'd tell people to YouTube instead of playing; it's really that much of a slog. The cutscenes by themselves are fine though, and the music's great as always.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Butt Ghost posted:

Part of it is that there are so few positive video game characters that are gay or trans, and since it looks like Kanji and Naoto respectfully fit those roles, some people will cling onto that thought. They aren't "evil" for doing so, it's just they're perceiving characters incorrectly, just as society does in P4, but in the opposite end of the spectrum. But if anything, it only highlights one of the problems with the game industry, since there really aren't too many gay or transgendered characters out there, especially positive ones.

Apologies for reviving this from a few days ago.

I have trouble getting past the point that Kanji asks Naoto on a date while thinking she's a guy. I agree that the intent was to depict him as straight but hung up on masculinity issues (Golden is less ambiguous about this than the vanilla game), but only in the world of situation comedy does "she's actually a girl, even though she's so convincing as a guy everyone was fooled!" work as confirmation of someone's complete heterosexuality.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

You're kind of getting hung up on an irrelevant point.

That scene can be interpreted multiple ways, one of which being that to a degree Kanji is saying gently caress it and haphazardly embracing the gay identity because poo poo modern society pretty much mandates that someone with his interests be gay might as well go along with it at this point yeah? And besides here's this "boy" who's "interested" in him, maybe by going along with it someone will finally accept him. Which interpretation you use though isn't important, because in no universe is it or any of the follow up meant to confirm his heterosexuality or any kind of sexuality. Kanji might be gay, he might be straight, more likely he's bi. It doesn't really matter. The crux of the issue is that Kanji is so tortured by the definition society is forcing upon him for his interests that he can't even begin to figure out who he is.

I agree that the question of whether Kanji's interested in guys is less important/interesting than other questions about his character, but it is a valid question, and his behavior toward Naoto-as-boy is a relevant piece of evidence.

"His sexuality doesn't matter!" is one conclusion you can reach about the character. "His sexuality doesn't matter...but he's straight" is a very different conclusion, one in which the second clause kind of undermines the first--would it still not matter if he were gay? In that context, I'd rather not wave away the instances where he questions who he is. It makes for a stronger statement about self-acceptance.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

Sure, but that doesn't mean they have to suddenly decide we need to pay more for those characters on top of the game's normal price. And I'm pretty sure Atlus has a bigger team and budget than the Skullgirls devs.

It doesn't seem particularly craven to me that companies want to get paid for creating new content, and it seems pretty great to me that content is no longer fully constrained by the deadlines of the game on disk.

And c'mon, this is Marie. We're not talking paid Chie DLC, or a paid epilogue. It's totally optional content that they might not have had time to finish for disk release (and would have canceled in decades past), but now have an incentive to keep working on. It would be very nice if they kept giving it away for free, but I don't think it's fair to grumble about their making a buck here.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, the problem is that we just can't KNOW if it's optional or if it ordinarily would have gone into the main game if DLC wasn't an option. I guess my problem is that deciding what's included under the $60 price of the initial game is rather arbitrary. It's not as bad as the 1979 Alien Isolation DLC, though.

We also don't KNOW what parts of games were planned and canceled in the days before DLC. Perhaps we're being nickel-and-dimed sometimes, but the bottom line is that we have the option of paying more for additional content if we like what's in the base, when we used to have to take it or leave it. (And we will soon know whether Marie's story is the lynchpin of the whole game or just a little side-story they tacked on to get her involved; I'm betting on the latter.)

Offtopic, but it's beyond me why anyone is unhappy about the Alien: Isolation deal. Those missions are entirely extraneous to the main story--they recapitulate the plot you saw in the movie years ago--and they will eventually be available separately. If the content looks so awesome you must own it immediately, just pay for a preorder like they ask. It must have cost a small fortune to reunite the cast, so it's hard to fault Sega for wanting to monetize the DLC to the full extent possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Didn't he also play an NG+ most of the way through before he realized (when it was explained to him) that some responses in social link scenes were better than others?

• Locked thread