Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Did they do a better job dubbing new parts of the game? P3PSP drove my OCD incredibly nuts by having varying volume/quality levels between original voiced parts and the newer dubs.

I don't really care about new voice actors per say, as long as their recording quality matches the rest of the original footage. If there's an obvious volume difference or something, that will drive me crazy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Maybe I shouldn't have gone with Hard on my first Persona game?
Stick with it, the beginning is much harder.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anyone playing a fresh new game on very hard? I saw that it's just except with .4 coefficients on XP/Gold gain, and it didn't look like the mode for me. Then I started running into rescuing people and the experience you get from that to compensate, so now I am not so sure. I almost always play Persona games on Hard modes these days, except when they multiply the fusion book costs exponentially (because I really do like fusing).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rogue 7 posted:

Oh, man, even on Hard mode this game is way easier. I just basically trivialized the first boss. Fused a Titan with Resist Phys and Fire, Red Wall, and Media, then gave it Bufu off a skill card. And to top it off, Dekunda got skill changed into Kill Rush for tons more damage.
We're talking about the phoenix, right? I thought even at level 14 that boss had enough HP on Hard to make it a bit of a challenge handling your SP since buffs/debuffs are still 12 SP, and media isn't enough to full heal the AoE fire effect. It's not like bufu is a trivializing element in that fight considering how much white wall gets spammed. I always liked that fight a lot personally.

And nevermind how easily you could get two-shot on the way up. All in all, I've been pretty happy on how Hard mode is laid out. It's not soul crushing, nor what I would consider a walk in the park. You just have to keep your brain on and you'll be fine if you're used to the system.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You only need 2 points of courage to ask her for it. Not that it really matters?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Pretty sure that's been some terrible internet rumor that's been circulating since the Persona 4 run over at Giantbomb.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

King of Solomon posted:

Most of my reasoning for the game being easy is that aside from just making some bosses easier (Shadow Yukiko being the main one), they started throwing Gold Hands at you, which makes it incredibly easy to get overlevel. The new Shuffle Time also causes your Persona to rapidly increase in strength, gaining a level's worth of stats every other battle, even faster if you get a Shuffle Sweep.

The game is just a whole lot easier than the PS2 version was.
What am I missing here? This doesn't happen to me. I get a shuffle maybe one every three fights, even when using all out attacks like the tutorial suggested. Most of these shuffles I use to either get a persona for more fusing, a chest key, or a free level up rarely - if none of these are available, I just get a crappy stat point Id on't care about. I usually get one shuffle sweep an entire dungeon and can keep that going 2-3 battles but I've honestly never got as much out of it as advertised in the above post.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That basically summarizes her in the original as well, minus invigorate anyway. She was always good on trash, mediocre on bosses. Now she has heat riser so she has a place if people want to bring her.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Nate RFB posted:

That's the thing though, Yosuke, Yukiko, and Teddie can do that as well by opening up the battle with a Ma-dyne Boost+Amp spell. Anything that gets reflected back is absorbed, and any SP used up would be instantly recovered by Rise after the battle.
Isn't that sort of the point though? I thought the idea of all the rebalancing was that anyone can take anyone and feel like they're getting something unique out of their choices, but functionally speaking you're pretty much doing the same thing with any party arrangement if you dig past the mechanics.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I brought Chie and Kanji for most of my hard run so far. There's just something about Yosuke where he just sucks a ton through the mid game for me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I always feel like scum anyway when I turn down every single request to go out on Sundays. And Nanako is always looking at me with puppy dog eyes when I won't hold her hand every time I talk to her.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

AG3 posted:

When he's taking the bait, the ripples will be more powerful and cause a splashing spraying effect. It's really noticeable compared to normal ripples. I'm pretty sure this is new to P4G though, as I can't remember it being like that in the PS2 version (but it's been a while since I played that, so I might be wrong).
The PS2 trick to the guardian was that the time between nibbles on the bait were much longer than any other fish.

I haven't done the Guardian yet in P4G. Is it still the same pattern?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm still pretty much dying like 5 times a dungeon on hard mode, heh. Going through the void quest now. All of it specifically to the MC getting one/two shot on trash. For the most part I make it a point to kill everything in the first 2 rounds but every now and then I'll get enough misses in a row that someone will push out a god hand or a series of nukes that hits for 500+ total.

Thankfully even on hard, you can just restart the floor and I pretty much don't care when it happens.

Coincidentally I don't see many gold hands unless I revisit the dungeons during side quest times.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

JetGrind posted:

Doing the battles in this after you get Rise is a little... odd? Yeah, let's go with that. With all the sexual poo poo in this game, you think I would be able to tolerate the smallest things. I can take the dominatrix shadow, I can even take the technicolour stripper. The thing is, Rise has a line where if I hit an enemy's weakness, she'll sometimes say how I "really get her going" and it just makes me feel weird.

It's just ice magic, Rise. Christ.
Yeah that's pretty tame by Rise's standards. You've got a whole lot more coming.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Spoilers: half of Rise's lines are sexual (may be a slight exaggeration).

But yeah the karaoke room (or whatever) scene will probably blow your mind.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Jet Ready Go posted:

I'm watching the Persona Concert right now.. I don't think I've ever wanted so much to see a video game concert before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGwVvhhQNbI
It's too bad Shihoko Hirata (the Persona 4 singer) has as much charisma as a rock. I think she only ever moves her left hand when she sings, and does nothing else. Just a mediocre performer in general with an all right voice. It's a shame cause I prefer the Persona 4 music to Persona 3, but the Persona 3 performers are way more veteran and way better.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Captain Oblivious posted:

That is because

There's a good chance Teddie's Shadow was being hijacked by Izanami or Ameno-Sagiri.

Where does the whole bit about Izanami or Ameno-Sagiri taking control of people's shadows come up? I didn't really catch this in my first P4 playthrough, so was it added in P4G or did I miss something between the lines?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think I just bought my genji beetles off the shopping network.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

HiKaizer posted:

The Devil S.Link is genuinely making me feel icky. I get that it's probably not going to be a nice S.Link given it's the Devil, but it flirts close to a few issues I would rather it did not...
It doesn't last, power forward.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man I forgot how much I hate fighting the november dungeon boss with only the MC healing. And the fact that hard mode seems to double all boss HP makes it such a massive slog.

Nate RFB posted:

The costumes really were a lot of fun. I think my favorite sets were Midwinter Yaso and Agent, though some looked better in them than others. For the MC I kept going back to Hardboiled Look, nothing else stacked up.

Is it true that Teddie gets some Junes Overalls like Yosuke's? I only got a set for Yosuke, and the various guides were unsure as to whether Tedie gets one as well.
I really prefer the cheerleading outfit on MC, cause he does the Izanagi stance when you win!

Don't think I've seen the hardboiled costume. I am really annoyed that I apparently missed costumes from not patting the fox on his head on certain days?

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 16, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I actually have a really hard time killing golden hands in my game. The ones in the november dungeon constantly spam sukukaja and have something like 2k HP (hard mode HP levels I figure). I figure people just go back into old dungeons and go grinding golden hands, but I won't have any of that.

CharlestonJew posted:

It really seems easy to break the game over your knee if you're even the slightest bit aware of Golden Hands and if you're good at consistently getting shuffle bonuses. I'm at the November dungeon and I'm already at level 85. I'm literally just fusing my high-level Persona into ones that are lower level just to mix things up at this point. (And even when I do that, the base level of these new Persona are higher than my other ones, so I just do the same amount of damage as before)

But whatever, I don't mind it. The game's still fun and I can just consider my level 89 Daisojou as a reward for putting up with some of the more bullshit fights in P3.
Yeah, meanwhile I'm at the end of the November dungeon with characters at 55 through 64 :>

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Mind Charge and then Megidolaon. If you have both the MC and Naoto do it you'll win hands down, without Naoto you should get them low enough to easily finish them off in the next round. During your charge up round you may also want to toss out a Masukukaja or Masukunda to counteract any buffing the hands may do.

Follow this advice on the gold hands found in the dungeon you're in, and you'll be way too powerful in no time.
Yeah, I know this. I'm like 6-12 levels too short to start doing that with Megidolaon, which I believe the earliest you can get is 70 on trumpeteer unless Golden added a new source. Even with megidola, you still need at least 3 charged megidolas to kill the ones I'm fighting. On average my golden hands start escaping on turn 5.

And to be quite honest, I don't really want to break the game through golden hand hunting anyway. Finishing that dungeon at those levels felt pretty good anyway.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

W.T. Fits posted:

Magician cards during Shuffle Time will upgrade Megido (available at 35 from Taotie) to Megidola, then to Megidolaon.
I wish I was this lucky :(

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Honestly the two things I would miss the most if I went back to play the PS2 version would just be the ability to select inheritances, and costumes. I don't really feel that strongly over the added slinks so far, but I guess jester doesn't pay off until the end or something.

Costumes is kind of a deal breaker for me though. It's so nice to finally wear the much better drawn winter/summer outfits for most of the characters instead of the 24/7 school uniforms (although I do like the gekkokan school outfit on Kanji).

By the time Persona 5 comes out, you can probably pick up a PS3 from a yard sale for like 50 bucks.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Haha, guess they couldn't find Nametame's voice actor or something for his new lines? It's pretty noticeable. It switches in the middle of a sentence after a brief pause to boot.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
A big help is knowing what to say on every single dialog prompt.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Nate RFB posted:

Again, not to say that people would need to know anything like this upfront, but it's the sort of stuff you start to think about when you've played your happy murder mystery RPG five times over the course of a year. If you straight up ignore Moon, Hanged Man, and Strength after your Diligence hits level 3, you'll probably max everything else easily.
Yeah, this has been my first playthrough, with Death added to the list of ignores. I didn't remember any of the correct dialog choices and I still screw up about half of them, but I didn't care enough to reload/read the FAQ. I am going to end up with all my party based slinks maxed, all of the night time slinks, jester, aeon, and temperance.

Everything else I pretty much left in the dumpster. I feel like I spent way too much time developing stats at the wrong times so I ended up wasting too many rainy days eating at Aiya when I should have used those for hermit, and also spammed the poo poo out of max'ing knowledge early for tests and used the test bonuses to slinks terribly. Spent way too many nights making envelopes and other random poo poo too, heh.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Woo, got the Rise trophy on my first playthrough. I knew switching around party mates would pay off.

I have a question regarding builds. The spell casters are easy, but I am a little puzzled over what to do with Chie and Kanji's final physical attacks. I saw some earlier posts about various attack ratings and how some things have higher crit ratings but I've never been able to find the information myself. I usually just go with God Hand and whatever that final physical attack skill is for Chie and Primal Force for Kanji and never think of any of the other attack skills. I hardly even use that skill for Chie, Agneyastra?

I also never really bother with boost/amp for Kanji either since he has a magic stat of 20.

[e]Oh I'm an idiot: http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Persona_4_Skills

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 19, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What's the best dungeon for hand farming? I need 5 of their rare jewel drops (of which I have 0, cause I guess I traded them away already). Also the shrine girl is not asking me for a guardian, but rather an genji fish. Do I need to work her all the way up to guardian by giving her fish in progression? Ugh.

Glad there wasn't a trophy for full quest completion. Looks like I can do this quest line on NG+ and hopefully save all my Xandrite throughout the game to do it. Kashigiri's costumes are all awful anyway.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
He means before the end of Jan. In Feb you can't do any party slinks in Feb because they'll be prepping for an exam before going straight to plot events after the exam.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Larsson posted:

You have around 25-26 days in January-Feb to finish your remaining links, as well as meet with everyone for their third Persona (Unless it's a bike day for a certain member, each party member is available nearly every day). Your last free day is 2/5.
Party slinks will ignore you in Feb because they're studying for exams. I think the actual cut off time is Jan 30th. From Jan 30th and up until the exam date, is basically everyone's last chance to be taken on a bike trip though.

But yeah easily enough time.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 20, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Rise's was the old skill list, yeah. I noticed that it was completely different (buffed) in Golden.

And drat Yukiko getting Tarunda instead of Rakunda is way worse than I thought. I guess it's still worth it for the Mind Charge on NG+.
I think Hama is 100% hit if you use it on a weak enemy right? So you don't need to get to Hamaon if you're not going all the way anyway, this way Yukiko and Chie can cover light and dark since I'm not using Naoto on NG+.
It's not quite 100% (I've seen Hama miss once during my first playthrough) but it's extremely reliable.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Captain Walker posted:

Thinking of springing for a Vita mostly for this game. Not sure if it's a spoiler since it's on page 1, but is Is the fsteak line voiced? If so, game of the year.
Yes but I think she just says steak.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, she does pronounce the f.
I hardly even heard it then. I never really got the obsession with that line anyway!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I have no problems telling my school mates to go study on their own time but I could never refuse to help Nanako with any of her homework. All that time down the drain though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've never seen vile thrust come close to primal force's damage values in my game.

• Locked thread