Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

And, if you don't want to skip them, but are sick of having to hit a button every time someone's said something in order to hear the next line, try enabling "Auto-Advance" in the options menu. Doesn't speed it up much, but makes it flow much better, at least to me.

Woah, this is really a feature? That's pretty boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Don't neglect Rise. Her skills come in super handy.

In P4, I usually beelined for maxing Brosuke first, not just for the fusion bonus (which gets loving sick nasty at upper levels), but for the combat skills, too. Seemed like his link was the quickest to level up.*

Do your best to make sure your party members' links are (for the most part) keeping up with each other, and, as far as all the other links go, get levels when you can, keeping in mind the sacrifices you'll have to make to get some of them (gently caress YOU AI EBIHARA, I AIN'T WASTIN' A WHOLE DAY ON YOUR SKANK rear end).

edit: * probably because I was focusing on it :v:

Aw, but I liked the spoilered person's S-link. :(

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Nohman posted:

They got rid of that. P4 Protagonist has way more swag than that loser in P3.

I can't stop laughing at this picture. It's just so...it's just...so...perfect.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

W.T. Fits posted:

New S. Link; she works with Igor and Magaret in the Velvet Room. It's her job to copy skill cards for you. Give her any skill cards you pick up from Shuffle Time, and she'll let you purchase copies of them.

Oh hey, that was a thing they let you do in Persona 2, wasn't it? That's kinda neat.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
So I'll likely get my copy of this tomorrow (since the mail doesn't come today. :( ) and I'm debating whether I want to do Hard mode or not.

I'm a veteran of the series, and I just beat Persona 3 on Hard mode and it was pretty frustrating at times. I'm not 100% I want to take on a big challenge like that again--especially now that I'm hearing there's been some difficulty adjustments or enemy changes? Is the game harder now on lower difficulties?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Marie is dull, like super dull. Nothing about her is interesting it's just hearing her say a few funny things and then she makes like 20 obnoxious comments and writes crappy poetry. I also hate her design, but that's a different thing altogether. Anyways, I'm at the third dungeon and this is probably the first time in any playthrough of P4 I've been OCD about leveling my Personae up so I can fuse them for better skills and to register them with all of their abilities. Before I'd just make the strongest thing I could and then waste whatever showed up.

Also, whoever though of adding in the "If you die you start at the beginning of the floor" idea deserves a bonus. Games where your main character dies and you lose are obnoxious and it's nice to see games like FFXIII and Persona 4 Golden find ways to make that less of an inconvenience.

I can see the old-guard SMT fan objecting to it, saying it's going "soft" on the players, but I agree, after just beating P3P and dealing with myriad bullshit deaths in the last leg of that, I welcome a restart function.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Dr Pepper posted:

If he dies that means that he "fails" Izanami's test and the world is screwed.

Ehhh, this isn't really as serious a situation as the potential situation in Persona 3. It's really just a gameplay hold-over, there's no justifcation for it besides the fact that you falling in battle just causes your team in P4 to flip out and die.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Hey maybe let's not discuss too much of what is happening in those spoilers? Don't want to give away anything big when some people are still really early in the game. I was spoiled when I first played and I really wish I hadn't been. :(

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

ConanThe3rd posted:

I would but NIS tend to do pretty good when it comes to extras. And, like I said, after Persona 4 Arena's complete DNF, I want to at least support something Persona 4 releated soon (that's not the anime).

DNF?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Huntsekker posted:

So this is my first time playing, and yousuke has asked me to meet him for lunch, but I have no idea how to do that. Help?

It should just happen automatically? Otherwise, you can try finding him out in the world map, perhaps at Junes?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

darealkooky posted:

I'll admit I've never done all of these, but the early ones seemed to be "oh, this guy has starts with move X and fuses with y to make persona Z I need, neat" stuff. I guess that's a bit of a moot point, though.

True, but the way this game handles it is pretty poor. In this game a "weaker position" just means "you have to use the better healing spell to keep everyone at the threshold where they wont die instead of getting away with a weaker one that puts them at 50% hp instead of 75% but that's okay because your healer has enough juice to run through the entire dungeon" and having to hit them longer (and maybe cast a buff of defend a move)

It's just a mindless dps race (that only applies to boss fights anyway because all normal fights are knocked down in a single turn and killed or are incredibly weak to ailments/kill spells). When you add in stuff like rise being able to bail you out, the incredibly awesome moves everyone can now learn and getting other players to help you it just makes the fighting an inevitability that you'll win eventually. Now sure you can make the point of how you'll probably use more resources because it took longer, but that really only applies for the first little bit of the game when fox either doesn't exist or gouges the gently caress out of you (and even then I found things really manageable). Now don't get me wrong, I don't want this game to be the dark souls of jrpgs or anything, but I'd prefer if half the game wasn't sitting there hitting x with no real consequence/thought over and over, you know? It just kinda feels like I'm wasting time until the next cutscene, which kinda goes against the balance the original game had between the story and the gameplay.

Nocturne (an rpg made by the same company almost a decade ago) is a good example of what I'm talking about. It has gameplay that really does have you fighting from a weaker position and really forces you to use strategy and planning. It has a real tension, pacing and just a general "oh poo poo not another fight I'm right outside the save point" element to it that I feel this game could really benefit from. I'd be nice if the enemies were more then just exp/money pinatas I hit with sticks for a couple minutes before they burst, you know?

How far are you into the game? I can assure you that later boss fights in this game rival any of the complicated matches you had to face in other SMT titles (and if you really want a load of bullshit, high-strat requiring bosses, play Persona 3 Portable on Hard or higher, that game was more notable for them.

Random encounters are meant to be eliminated quickly, due to you taking advantage of their weaknesses--this keeps battles short and to the point, but it's a double-edged sword. Bear in mind, for every encounter YOU wipe out in a few seconds with the right skill, the exact same thing can--and will--happen to you. Later random mobs will straight up sucker punch you, and others can turtle against your attacks and unleash their own power moves to wreck your poo poo. Be grateful your foes are easy now, for they will fester into more potent bile further down the line.

In general, Persona 4 wasn't ALL that difficult anyway, so what exactly were you expecting? The SMT franchise has generally grown more accessible since the halcyon days of Nocturne--and Persona doesn't really want to fit the same mold anyway. If you want a true old-school SMT experience, go play Strange Journey. Persona 4 is its own cup of tea.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Saint Freak posted:

Talking to girls is legit scary man. Nothing like fighting demon gods.

This analysis doesn't help me what's girl's weakness what do I do DO I CAST BUFU I'LL DO IT I'LL CAST BUFU

BUFUUUUUU

oh poo poo she's dead oh god oh poo poo

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Better than the band at least.

Having done both of them, I can honestly say that they are both pretty awful. I am not even sure what the writer's intent behind the two S-links was--both come across as a bit creepy and the band one especially just goes absolutely nowhere.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Cannot Find Server posted:

I dunno if they've been changed, but I remember in the PS2 version some of them being really easy and some of them being completely incomprehensible to anyone not living in Japan. There was one in particular about some Japanese poet that I cannot imagine Atlus could have expected any of their Western audience ever knowing without looking it up.

On that note, I hope they haven't changed them, since I have all of them memorized by heart at this point.

I liked the obscure Japanese culture/history questions because they kind of emulated any of those obscure facts you are expected to know in High School but never can.

Also, to chime in, Persona 2 has the better cast of characters and story to any Persona game. This includes both Persona 2 games.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

randombattle posted:

No one man should have all that meat.

You fool. you were always in the Meat Dimension.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Alright, I've had this game for a couple days, finally beat Gravity Rush so let's load this up...

...what the...

Inaba has...a sky box? A background? I can see the hills? There's...the backgrounds aren't blurry lumps of color...? What is this...this feeling in my chest...

could it be

joy?

My god, even the dinner table has actual distinct items that look like actual recognizable food and they let you walk around like right away and...what's happened to my Persona 4? Did this game somehow get a budget!?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Chie's new voice is pretty adorable. I think it's a better fit for the character, though both actresses (actors if people get upset at gender-specific nouns) sem to have taken their own twist on the character--I don't think you can pick either as a "better" performance, it's just that they emphasized different things.

This time around, though, I think the direction for this actress is a bit better. She nails the kind of goofy awkwardness of Chie's character as written. She's a touch more obnoxious, but I think she's supposed to be. It works.

Also, this auto-scrolling text? Fantastic. This may be the first time I actually listen to all of the voicework. I also think the VA work in general is improved--old familiar lines have slightly better delivery, and it's more energetic thus far in general.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Oh poo poo. So I just defeated Yosuke's Shadow which was pretty neat in and of itself--in Hard mode, it feels like a very careful fight, and I ended up winning with a sliver of health and no MP.

Then afterwards, we got the scene where Chie yells at you after you get out of the TV. I'm sorry, I must reverse my original position. The new voice actress is much, much better. She goes through, like, three emotional quadrants in five seconds. The scene is completely different and completely hilarious. It's like...this is like the game Persona 4 was always meant to be.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Seriously, gently caress Yosuke.

Honestly dude? In that situation, I'd have probably felt much the same way. He's hot-headed and emotional throughout the ENTIRE game, why on Earth would he be, after potentially the game's most traumatic plot develeopment, would he suggest anything else? Hell, I don't know if I didn't kind of feel the same way in that situation.

RentCavalier fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 28, 2012

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Phalex posted:

Regarding dating: Can you still max out your social links with the other female characters without making them your girlfriend? I don't want to feel bad about breaking make-believe cartoon characters' hearts :smith:, but I still want to fuse a level 10 dick monster :unsmith:

I believe you have always been able to do that.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

DrManiac posted:

Does it affect you link stats if you maxed them out?

Maxing a link with any of the girls has two options--either Best Friends or Lovers. Usually, there's a choice around the later link levels that clearly decides whether you are one or the other.

I really liked player mode, for the aforementioned Pokemon-like reason to it, but I suppose it is nice of the game to try and discourage you from being a completely horrible son of a bitch.

Of course, doesn't the anime basically make the MC get with all the girls anyway?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Yosuke's speech about the merits of obtaining motorcycles is just the inspiration I needed this morning. Somewhere out there, the best days of our youth are ahead of us.

And Kanji is going to show his manhood to all these chicks.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Any advice for the bonus boss In the Bath House?

I'm around the early 20's in terms of level. I lack Tarunda, which I feel may be key, but this guy just seems to be able to wreck my guys with their elemental weaknesses. It's kind of frustrating!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Playing this game now reminds me just why I like Dojima's character so much. In a plot where only a fairly select scope of characters actually know what is going on, I like that while he is perpetually out of the loop, him being a detective actually becomes relevant to the state of the plot.

In a way, he's kind of an interesting foil to the main character, since he's both a father figure whom you bond with and an authority figure you must avoid.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Aphrodite posted:

I really hope Persona 5 comes up with a battle system that's not awful.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I hope Persona 5 gets rid of the dating sim, I really do.

You both have terrible opinions.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

The Grimace posted:

You just don't get things, man. You don't get stuff.

Sign me up for the "don't give a gently caress about poetry" bandwagon. Marie is a complete waste of a character--she's literally two cliches slapped together with superglue and a short skirt. If there isn't some kind of amazing pay off for this bullshit, I'm going to be sore disappointed.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Swagger Dagger posted:

Her poetry makes me dread going to the velvet room. Especially because it's unskippable.

Just tap X, you'll scroll right through it. It only takes a few seconds. I actually listen to each one because I figure they may be ~significant~ later on.

I didn't mind the one about her being a corpse. I just think it's an annoying gimmick, because the worst kind of poetry is the kind of poetry that is created by a person setting out TO create poetry. It's just sort of blah--neither poignant nor funny.

But maybe it'll get better as the game goes on, who knows?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

McDragon posted:

Yeah, Marie seems pretty odd so far. The poetry stuff sucks, but her social link so far (just hit three) is really funny.

Her really stupid talkreallyfastandsaystupidshit every ten loving seconds is driving me bonkers. I irritates me to no end. That poo poo only even remotely works if you actually hear it being said, reading it in text is just dumb and irritating to the eyes.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

ObesePriest posted:

You know what I loved about this game? All the stuff and choices you can make throughout the game.

You know what I hated about this game? All the stuff and choices you can make throughout the game :(

I got to the last dungeon on PS2 and got tired of reading a guide while playing the game because I'm a bitch and wanted to max all my s. Links on my first play through.

I'm pretty sure that's not how you're supposed to play it :sigh: I hate missing opportunities. I want to buy it for the vita but so conflicted! Anyone who hasn't played it should buy it!

The game is more fun if you don't max everything. And the Vita version makes a lot of the old tricks to min/maxing harder to do anyway, so don't bother!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

ObesePriest posted:

Hmmm, that's refreshing to hear in an odd way. I'm seriously considering buying it, but I have all these other vita games that I've bearly started because the whole playstation plus vita free games. I will think on this.

Persona 4 is considered one of the finest RPGs to come out in recent years, and certainly the best JRPG. The Vita version is packed full of even more content, character and choices. It's such a thoroughly realized game that to not get it would honestly be a crime. There's pretty much nothing better on the Vita right now besides Gravity Rush, and Gravity Rush you can beat in a weekend. A long weekend, perhaps, but a weekend.

Persona 4 will last you a long while.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

LaserShark posted:

And number two... I don't *hate* Chie's new voice as much as I thought I would, and I'm giving her some slack since she didn't read through with the rest of the cast, but still... she's trying too hard. In those rare moments when Chie's geniunely subdued, like after getting her Persona, the voice is really good. Most of the time, though, she sounds like a Disgaea character, way too forced. Teddie's pretty good, but ironically he's a bit *too* subdued sometimes. Mostly I don't even notice the difference, though.

I can't help but disagree with all your points. Chie's new VA is simply superb for the role, and nails the lines--her enthusiasm and loudness just fit the character better. Teddie's voice is 98% similar to his predecessor, but for the most part, the times where he's more subdued just sound better than the original.

Unrelated to VA chat...

What the gently caress is up with the boss Shadow Teddie? He seems to hit a lot harder in this version, and when he does his charge attack, despite two rounds of battery, I couldn't cancel it. Have they changed something about this fight? Is there a new strategy I have to dopt akin to the first one?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

RadicalR posted:

You're just not hitting hard enough. I think you gotta do at least a thousand to cancel it.

Oh, well, that won't be happening then. Hard Mode and all that.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I wonder what Persona 3 and Persona 4's overall impact on the JRPG genre is going to be? Right now they're, like, the only other RPG franchise besides Square-Enix stuff that's actually making a huge splash, right? I can't recall any other RPG series that has gotten nearly as much attention or praise from as wide a swath of people as the Persona games since the golden years of early Final Fantasy.

But then again, I wonder if perhaps Persona is only popular amongst the somewhat insular communities on the Internet, and it is, perhaps, not nearly as impactful as I think it to be.

In either case, I wonder whether the genre or the market will adapt itself to try and follow in Persona's foot steps. If so, what lessons has the game taught the industry?

I would hope that it encourages an emphasis on sturdy gameplay mechanics again. FF13 has shown that a cheapened playing experience and lessened customization ultimately sours the userbase. I'd like to hope that future games will copy less of Persona's aesthetics and more of its mechanics--any one of the dungeon crawling, monster fusing or battle systems is fantastic by itself and endlessly engaging. And while engaging seperately, they function perfectly in junction, giving the game a slick engine upon which the story is constructed. This emphasis on gameplay, without sacrificing story elements, is what makes Persona truly great.

But what do you guys think?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Emperor was more broken to me.

The entire balance of the S. Link system is that the higher your S. Links, the more levels a guy you fuses gets and the more skills. If you have a 0 S. Link tower and fuse Yoshitsune he'll still be useful but it will be a long, long time before you get Hassou Tobi, which really breaks the game.

OR you can get a couple of emperors and you're done

Yoshitsune is Tower.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Captain Oblivious posted:

I was contemplating romancing Marie but I just...can't handle the tsundere.

My tsundere threshold is exceeded. All hail Chie.

I only romanced her because I didn't want to risk not getting the bonus poo poo. My heart really belongs to Yukiko Rise Naoto.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Man, I forgot how loving great the Ameno-Sagiri boss fight is. Even dealing out god-like levels of damage every round, it still becomes a really harrowing struggle at the end when he just unleashes every attack he has.

Though that makes me wonder... MAJOR END GAME SPOILERS WILL SPOIL THE KILLER Um...how exactly do they pin the murders on Adachi? I mean, if there's no evidence to convict Namatame, how the hell is there somehow evidence to convict Adachi? There's even less evidence for what he did!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
And it's done. I have beaten the game.

The new ending stuff is outstanding. All the new stuff involving Marie totally reversed my feelings on the character, and...and...

...man. I just feel a little deflated now. This game always manages to just get me RIGHT in the heart whenever the end credits are about to roll. The extended sequences and new bits just...just made it better.

*sigh*

I'm gonna...I'm gonna just...go check the fridge. Maybe there'll be some science project in there for me to eat.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

The GIG posted:

Basically, play SP conservative and defensive for the first form, try to keep your weaknesses covered and don't be afraid to hurl out some of your support items, since those don't follow you to NG+ and they save you SP. In all honesty the first form is a push over compared to form two, since the first form's skills aren't anything more than high level spells, while form two has all kinds of statuses and Almighty based spells.

Also, while we're on the subject, I love the whole boss fight sequence against, since if you know the legend (Or remember it when they told you about it) you automatically know something's up with Izanami when you run into her. And then when you beat her, you think you're done, then she drops Thousand Curses on you and you have to watch as each of your friends take the hit and seemingly die for you, then when you finally get caught and the social link sequence finishes, you come back to her and even though she's dropping 999 damage on you, you stand right up and blow her away with I-N-O. I remember watching my sister play and make it to the final sequence and the thousand curses came out she just kept turning to me and going "What's going on? Why are they dying? Why can't I beat her?" :ohdear:

It's really harrowing, and it shows how effective the game is at getting you attached to all of these characters. To see them in incredible danger evokes a powerful emotional response, which really helps nail the effect the boss is supposed to have over you. It's definitely a crowning moment of the game.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Pollyanna posted:

Naoto has no weaknesses, good stats, an excellent selection of skills, multiple possible roles she can play, and looks good in a suit. Clearly she is the best character in the game, better than the Kanji and the Teddie combined. :colbert:

Well to be perfectly honest, Teddie's clearly the game's weakest character. His unique ability sucks, his healing and damage-dealing are all easily topped by Yukiko, and while he's a handy source of buffs and the like, he doesn't really do any role better than anyone else, and he doesn't get Heat Riser or Debilitate or anything comparable. I used him instead of Yukiko this most recent playthrough and while he's perfectly adequate (all of your party members are pretty awesome at what they do) he's just not good at anythng that someone else isn't better at.

Hell, Yosuke's a better choice in basically 90% of all scenarios.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Chie is a great random-encounter killer before you get Naoto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Nessa posted:

Naoto is pretty quick too. More often than not, she'd have the first turn and could Mahamaon at the start of battle and kill everyone. At the very least, she had a better chance of hitting a weakness right off the bat with Light, Dark, Fire and Wind.

Her speed really bears mentioning, she's easily the fastest party member or close enough to, and considering how her attacks are laid out, she can often single-handidly wreck encounters with a mind/charge and a megidolan before the enemy has even attacked.

• Locked thread