Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Just bought the game, it is downloading now. Is there anything in particular I should no going in, if I haven't played P4 before (and only like 10 days of P3P)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Abu Dave posted:

Jesus 1 hour and 20 minutes of story exposition before your first battle. But man oh man was that great exposition.

Wait, seriously? I'm almost done downloading the game, and there's an hour and twenty minutes before the gameplay kicks in? I'm all for a good story, but that seems a bit excessive for a portable game.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I'm loving how the more critics scores are added, the higher P4G's metacritic gets.

Warms my heart. :3:

PS: GET THIS GAME IF YOU DO NOT HAVE IT.

PSS: Honestly, it's worth buying a Vita for P4G. Not only because P4G is phenomenal, but because the Vita is an awesome piece of hardware that is greatly under-appreciated at the moment.
^^^^
Definitely seconding this. I started playing yesterday and have 8 hours into it already.

Also

haha, holy poo poo its universally acclaimed! Not a single review labelled as "mixed" or "poor". That's pretty drat unusual.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Good to see the bonus boss of the first dungeon is still as ridiculous as ever. I was thinking they might have toned him down for P4G because you need to be like lvl 25 (which isn't even remotely feasible after just the first dungeon, unless you're the world's biggest grinding sperglord) to beat him in vanilla P4, but that's not the case. A single Rampage is still more or less a total party kill. :unsmigghh:

oh, well that explains that.

I thought I'd grind some levels after the first dungeon and then wtf I'm dead.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Speedball posted:

I've only seen a clip of this on youtube and it was the funniest thing I'd seen all week, no joke.

So apparently going to the TV World on rainy days increases certain benefits, right? One thing I noticed it that it seems that it makes all fusions have some extra benefit.

which episode is this?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I keep hearing about the Magician card thing, but I haven't seen one yet. I'm in the 3rd dungeon if it matters, and playing on Easy since this is my first Persona game

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Dr Pepper posted:

Best part of Selectable skills? The Growth line of skills becomes really easy to pass around.

Any advice on which skills synergize/areimportant to have? Or just a good primer on the skills in general? Having never played these games before, I'm afraid i'll gimp myself :(

Like, I just fused some stuff to make something called a Power, and it seems badass, but I fell like I dont have enough skills for him...it..w/e

I just beat the 3rd dungeon

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Dr Pepper posted:

Beat the Bathhouse.

Kanji: Still the best. :allears:

I gotta admit, I was a bit disappointed at first to see him played up as a "secretly gay machoman biker", but the ending of the dungeon took me by a pleasant surprise.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, uh, I'm about 27hrs in and I'm at the Void Quest dungeon. I haven't beaten it, but I just got to level 38 so I could fuse Black Frost. Am I going too quickly? I'm playing on Easy because this is the first Persona game I've played...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Big Ole Ending Rant

Here there be endgame spoilers:

As someone who didn't play P4 on PS2, I assumed that Marie being a reflection/part of Izanami was logical, and romancing her being "canon", because the impression I got was that the Protagonist was a similar reflection of Izanagi. Hence why your first Persona is Izanagi, and your final one is its "true" form. Not that "star cross'd lovers across time" isn't cheesy, but its not that bad.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Thanks a million, there's a lot of songs in the game where I've went "Yeah I like that!" but this is the first one to really grab and impress me. It caught me totally off guard.

For some reason the dungeon itself reminded me of silent hill of all things. How odd.

vvvv Correct

Oh wow, I was just thinking how the one fault I can find with this game is that the dungeon soundtrack gets really repetitive, but drat thats a good song.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It doesn't actually double the statgain, just doubles in very specific circumstances. The Knowledge one makes you get 2 knowledge boosts when you study at home instead of 1, but you still get 1 for everything else.

its any studying, not just at home. I got 2 each time I studied in the library with one of the team members

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, yeah, I just spent about 3 hours grinding levels in order to get to level 93 to fuse Lucifer only to find out you don't keep your personas or level in NG+. Seeing as I'm at Jan 27 I'll make use of it for...not much longer...considering the time it took to get it...

Also, question regarding Aeon SL, at what point do I get access to Marie's dungeon? I maxed her link out and the woman in blue has been "searching" for like a month...do I need to do something specific at this point?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You keep your compendium and money (and lose the level restriction) so you still can party down in NG+ with your OP personas.

Awesome! I knew about the money and Compendium, but when I read that you lose your level, I was like "I'm sure as hell not grinding back to level 93".

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Gamma Nerd posted:

You can't fuse personas above your level in NG+ but you can summon and use them. So when you're ready to kill Izanami go sell all your poo poo you don't need.

Yeah, so by summon you mean from the book, right? Basically, I didn't waste hours of grinding right?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jet Ready Go posted:

Yeah don't let the talk confuse you.

As long as you've created the character and it's in your compedium you own it forever and can use it as long as you can afford it.

I recall grinding enough to buy 1 of each of the Persona's I wanted along with armor from the Blacksmith before ending the game to start NG+

Alright. Cool. Got it.

Whats the best way to grind money btw? I've just been running Magatsu Inaba/Magatsu Mandala over and over and over. Now that I completed my fusion goal, I guess I don't need to buy as much stuff.

I also want to fight The Reaper again, but the last time I triggered the rattling chains, I ran out of chests and went to the next floor only for the sound to stop...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Also, I just watched episode 6 of the anime, and I need to know why there wasn't a Kanji-Chase Meal-Delivery quick time event in the game.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

MrAristocrates posted:

Seriously though, I would have killed for Aika to have made it into this game beyond a passing mention.

Is it just me or does the anime Yuu respond with the most deadpan dialog options? He plays it so straight its practically snapped.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Beat the game for all intents and purposes...thoughts:

So Marie's dungeon was kinda bullshit. Not hard, at least not in a "this requires skill" sort of way, just bullshit. I had Lucifer with Victory Cry, so MC always had full HP and half SP but everyone else was screwed. Oh! an item that restores a WHOPPING 12SP per equipees turn! When I kill most things in one turn! With abilities that cost 12-38SP! (except MC who has Spell Master :smuggo:) Its absurd. It also took all my money when it took my items, and I never got it back. So I guess I'll be grinding money in the True Ending Dungeon to take into NG+?

That being said, I liked the actual plot stuff in there. Marie is an odd character though. I never played P4 on PS2, but I can pretty easily see spots where the Devs added her after the fact, but I can also see spots where it really seems like they intended her to be the headcanon romantic partner.

Speaking of romances...

So I knew that Valentine's Day would be interesting because in my speeding through dialog I ended up romancing both Marie and Yukiko. I knew that VD could involve only one, and I had intended to do Marie my first run, so I declined Yukikio. That was an interesting conversation. But then Marie didn't show up, at first. MC spent Valentines moping in the Junes food court with Yosuke and Kanjii. Marie was hanging out outside MC's house and they had their event, but based on the Junes scene, could I have hung out with Yukiko too? Eh, w/e.

All in all, a whole lot of fun. I look forward to turning on NG+, cranking up the XP and Cash (you can do that in NG+ right?) and blasting through everything so I can max all the links. Do S.Links carry over to NG+?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Strange Quark posted:

No, you should get all of your stuff and money back after the dungeon. Or even when you leave it via the TV.

I got my items/equipment back for sure, but I definitely had 0¥ coming out of the dungeon. Hell, I've only got like 1200¥ now. It's not a huge deal, I'll grind cash in this dungeon before I wrap up, at least enough to summon some absurd Persona at the beginning of the game.

I'm kinda considering focusing on Izanagi for NG+ though. Shame you can't create Izanagi no Okami until the end of NG+ or whatever.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

BreakAtmo posted:

Excellent, thanks. I need to leave so I can fuse some Personas and buy better gear to fight Shadow Mitsuo. He wiped me last time before I could even remove half his heath (and I was nearly out of SP by that point) but now Yu's gone from Lv40 to Lv48, with Chie, Yukiko and Teddie along for the ride. I really need to go grind with Yosuke after this is done, he's only Lv29.

Just a heads up, spoilers are tagged

code:
[spoiler] SPOILY STUFF HERE [/spoiler]

Annath fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 3, 2013

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
There are 2 persona 2s? Which is the one to play first?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I've been trying to motivate myself to do some NG+, and I now have that motivation.

In my first playthrough, I didn't do any of the club SLinks!

Also, to get the trophy, do you have to max all SLinks in one go, or is it cumulative?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

That's why I said this is more of a problem with the S. Link system itself. But all things being equal the party S. Links are "better" in that they involve characters who are actually important to the main story. You feel good helping Kanji out because he is your friend and in general involved in your life. Never meeting the mother whose name escapes me wouldn't change anything.

On my third run through Golden I only did S. Links for party members, Justice/Hierophant/Jester, Aeon, and Hermit, and it honestly felt like a much more streamlined, focused experience. Though there was a whole lot more down time.

E: I guess you could say overall it was an improvement over what P3 FES did, though.

Yeah, that's what I did on my first run. So I am enjoying meeting all these other folks.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I just wish P4A was available on the Vita. I'm not buying a PS3 or 360 this late in the game, and I really don't do much non-portable gaming nowadays anyway...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think Kanji's radical change at the end of P4G really hurt the writers since they now have to plan everything P4 related in that one year if they want to keep Kanji's traditional look.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more of Chie with her hair grown out, though the less seen of Yukiko's final hairstyle, the better.

You're talking about this image, right? (spoiler I guess...?)

http://i.imgur.com/0IEcU8M.jpg

I actually really like how all the characters turned out. Marie and Kanjii both matured, Yukiko looks more managerial without looking like an old painting, and Chie, well Chie is still Chie...

• Locked thread