Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

It took me to the end of the first major dungeon to figure this out, but if you grab every card after a battle, you're guaranteed a shuffle time the next battle, and you get to pick up 3 cards off the bat. This can be chained to get a LOT of shuffle times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait how do you get more then one card in Shuffle Time in the first place?

Some cards give 1 or 2 more turns, but give negative/random effects as well. For instance, there's a card that gives you two more turns, but halves the money you receive from the fight.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

KongMu posted:

For someone whose never played this... which slink is considered the most "worth it" to level up, aside from the fox?

Even without a guide, you should be able to max almost all your social links in your first playthrough, especially considering Golden is even longer than the original. Without using a guide on my first playthrough of P4, I only missed out maxxing 2 social links, and I had no idea what I was doing the first month. Here's some tips to help max out social links in general:

- If someone talks to you at lunch, you get bonus points to your relationship if you go out with them that day. I'm pretty sure it's this way in Golden, I doubt they'd change it.

- A couple S. Links rely on having high learning/courage/etc. Make sure you're levelling these attributes up.

- The game tells you if you're gonna be able to level up on an outing. If it says you won't, consider waiting a bit for extraneous events to give a boost to your relationship (mid-term results, random increases from storylines, eating lunch with said people, etc.)

- The most efficient way to level up stats is probably still eating the Beef Bowl at the Chinese restaurant on a rainy day, it gives you bonuses to 3 stats, where most activities only give you 1-2.

- Make sure you read the books from the book store. The study book, for example, allows you to gain an extra knowledge point every time you study. Although it takes three days to read the book, and gives you nothing during those three days, it more than pays off down the road. There's other books that do similar things, as well.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

To kill the rare hands, debuff their defence, and just wail on them hoping for a crit. Yukiko might be better off using fire spells because they do more a lot more than her pitiful attack damage, but then you're giving up the chance for an AoA from her getting a crit. Chie's rampage is great for this too, so it might be worth buffing her attack so she can aoe the 3 hands down together. In the second big dungeon, I was getting the third hand down to about 30% before it ran away, and the other two were killed no problem.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

If you go into the TV world on rainy days, you'll have no problem getting the drops you need. Normal seems easier than P4, mainly because you get bonus stats, bonus levels, it's easier to fuse, and some of the bosses were nerfed pretty heavily. Shadow Teddy was a complete joke, and Shadow Yukiko was a lot easier as well

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

weast posted:

Does anybody know what the stones such as Iolite and Fluorite do?

You trade them to Mimi from the Drew Carey Show, she runs the bar at night in the business district.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Getting sarasvasti at 18 is a good idea, you get invigorate 2, which easily becomes 3 with magician arcanas. You get 5 (7 with 3) mana per turn, and you can pass it around no problem to future magic-heavy personas.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

The Register persona function is used to replace the default persona with one with new skills, levels, and stats obtained from fusion/skill cards. For instance, if I fuse a Pyro Jack with invigorate 3, and it gets a huge exp boost from the Magician S. Link, I can register it, so whenever I summon it from the compendium, it'll have those bonus levels and inherited skills.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Bubba77 posted:

Im level 18 and he always uses rampage on his second turn which I can not survive. Im guessing Fire is his weakness since his first move is to shield himself from it. Any tips?

Wait to do the optional boss until the next dungeon. Rampage will 1 shot most of your party until then, and although I'm sure you can brute force your way to beating it, it's not worth the effort. I did the first optional boss right before I did the second, I was around level 25, and it was really easy as you should have access to mediarama by then.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

OmegaZultan posted:

I kept getting parties of 5 golden hands at once and all but one with run away by the end of the fight. :(

Chie is great for this, revolution+rampage means you're gonna crit like half of them. If you have a persona with rampage, odds are you can get an aoa and get like 3 levels in one battle. :getin:

In Naoto's dungeon, the hands enrage themselves, so they're even easier to take down. It's a great place to level up underleveled characters.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Does fire boost stack with Fire amp? Googling it gives me mixed answers.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Rueish posted:

Trying to max S. Links in the first play-through of P3 or P4 is literally the worst. All you're going to do is stress yourself out and possibly end up hating the game. Just do it normally and pick whatever you want, THEN if you want, use a guide to get 100% the 2nd time.

Yeah. If you really care about min/maxxing for the battles, just neglect non-party member slinks like Sun and Moon. Honestly, the game's really easy either way on normal, even the harder bosses are a cakewalk compared to the tough ones in P3.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

It really comes down to who has buffs/debuffs for your party. Naoto/Kanji/Teddie is what I use, as MC/Kanji are power charging their first turns, and naoto can Heat Riser both heroes as she's faster than Kanji. Teddie debuffs defence, and you're doing max damage in 2 turns.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Well, I found the 8-bit boss battle theme on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xDqJYqZXtk

Also, the Valentines day event was amazing. It was great for them to finally call out the Mormon harem bullshit that seemed completely acceptable in P3/P4, I'd have liked it more if there was some sort of Bad End for having chosen the romance option for all the female S-links.

Conch Shell Corp fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

It's extremely easier in Golden than it was in original P4. I tried switching away from Black Frost for some of the more traditional end game personas, but there really was no reason. Black Frost had 99 magic by December, and the amount of grinding it'd take to catch up would be silly. +1 magic and strength cards make the game a LOT easier than PS2 P4. Also, through the entirety of Golden I had 1 person ever die to a non-mudo/hama spell, whereas in the orignal P4 it approached something close to triple digits, probably.

• Locked thread